What If?

Warfish

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Yes, should have beaten the Bengals and Dolphins because finishing 8-1 after 1-6 was a realistic expectation. 

SAR I

Don't be so harsh man, losing to the 0-432 Bengals is totally ok.  Sam was awesome, it was really the fans who doubt him who let him down that day.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Don't be so harsh man, losing to the 0-432 Bengals is totally ok.  Sam was awesome, it was really the fans who doubt him who let him down that day.

You mean the defense, right?  They're the ones who lost that Bengals game.  The week before they held the Raiders to 3 points and gave up 22 to the worst team in the NFL.  Made Andy Dalton look like Joe Namath.  Unacceptable.  Gregg Williams, fire him. 

SAR I

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

It's not flip-flopping.  Each season is different.  Each regime is different.

Maccagnan + Bowles was our Transition team, the two bums no one else wanted that took Jets jobs out of desperation to ride out an ugly rebuild.  You need two meek mice to take the barbs and arrows of the ugly, dark times.  Any fool could see that they weren't ever going to get the job done.  They were here to get our cap right, cut all the malcontents, and drop like a stone to get a QB in the draft.

Douglas + Gase is our Contention team, the two elite talents that have taken us out of the rebuild on the precipice of the playoffs.  You need two animals to change the culture and forcibly move the roster to elite levels.  Anyone can see that we have turned the corner with Gase and Douglas surely looks the part.

You treat all of these rosters and managers in the same ol' way, that's the boring SOJF playbook.  We'll win the Super Bowl and you'll be miserable because you think its some contest of who is right and who is wrong on forums.  It's going to suck for you.  That pleases me.

SAR I

Interesting narrative, I didn't realize CJ was playing 4d chess all this time.

Most of the above is utter nonsense and not worthy of a response, but ftr, I'm a Gase fan, as a coach meh, but he triggers people which I do enjoy. At the end of the day he'll go as far as Darnold takes him though and that's where I do have concerns.  Darnolds raw, a puncher. Needs to learn how to box. Not sure he get there tbh but I'm rooting for him. Seems like a good kid unlike that limp armed silver tongue'd noodle jagoff.

But yes yes, i'll be very mad if Darnold's good cause I didn't have blind faith in 2019. Hope it doesn't come to that.

8 hours ago, CTM said:

Interesting narrative, I didn't realize CJ was playing 4d chess all this time.

Of course he is.  That's what CEO's do. 

8 hours ago, CTM said:

At the end of the day he'll go as far as Darnold takes him though and that's where I do have concerns. 

At 1-7, 6-2 is a damned fine finish and we have a lot to be encouraged about at both HC and QB.

SAR I

30 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Of course he is.  That's what CEO's do. 

At 1-7, 6-2 is a damned fine finish and we have a lot to be encouraged about at both HC and QB.

SAR I

Clever CEO's yes, those who were born with a gold bar up their ass and handed everything no.

6-2 is a fine finish, but it also came against the dregs of the league which I know you know as you spent all offseason and early season yapping about it.  It's no more meaningful than the 1-7 start. We are a bottom 1/3 team, who played a bottom 5 schedule and were the most inconsistent team all year. 

Our opponent adjusted stats were still highly negative on offense for the last part of year. Darnold still ended the year where he was at the midpoint, as one of the worst performing QB's in the league (32), 

Thems the facts

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, bitonti said:

what if they draft Jimmy G instead of Jace Amaro, Nelson instead of Darnold etc 

what if they didn't waste the Hackenberg and Polite picks? 

drafting in hindsight is a fairly gutless activity

it's like betting ATS in hindsight

it all seems super easy with the benefit of perfect knowledge 

bottom line this franchise is where it is because of almost a decade of terrible drafts 

Agreed... I am basically saying that without saying it... 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SAR I said:

You mean the defense, right?  They're the ones who lost that Bengals game.

Of course they did, Sam doesn't lose games.  He's a winner.  If only the fans, the Defense and his Offense players were better, he'd be a Champion

After all, only Mahomes is better than him in the NFL, and he just won a Super Bowl.  If only Sam had that kind of support, he's be the best!

On 2/5/2020 at 3:02 PM, CTM said:

What if we took Lamar Jackson at 6 instead? 

I'm not a Darnold homer, at all, but I think his chances of being good one day are far better than Allen's

What if, with 2 more top-10-rated QBs on the board, we traded down 20 slots and then took Jackson, and pocketed an extra 1st rounder and more in the process? I can't really fault them for that, though. Everyone knew he was fast; no one saw his passing numbers as a possibility no matter what team/coaching he had around him (let alone so quickly).

What if we took Orlando Brown or Mark Andrews in round 3 instead of another ****ing DT - a 24 year-old rookie from Fort Hays State, which I'd never even heard of until 2018 - right after drafting that FQB we've been waiting for so long to land. Baltimore took both of them after we drafted Shepherd. Oh yeah, and then had two 1st rounders and more in 2019 instead of a lone, high 1st rounder that we used on another mother****ing DT???

But yeah, what if that?

Oh yeah -- those probowlers at LT and TE wouldn't have been good players here because Jets. Can't forget the easy, copout, wouldn't-have-mattered reply lol. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

What if, with 2 more top-10-rated QBs on the board, we traded down 20 slots and then took Jackson, and pocketed an extra 1st rounder and more in the process? I can't really fault them for that, though. Everyone knew he was fast; no one saw his passing numbers as a possibility no matter what team/coaching he had around him (let alone so quickly).

What if we took Orlando Brown or Mark Andrews in round 3 instead of another ****ing DT - a 24 year-old rookie from Fort Hays State, which I'd never even heard of until 2018 - right after drafting that FQB we've been waiting for so long to land. Baltimore took both of them after we drafted Shepherd. Oh yeah, and then had two 1st rounders and more in 2019 instead of a lone, high 1st rounder that we used on another mother****ing DT???

But yeah, what if that?

Oh yeah -- those probowlers at LT and TE wouldn't have been good players here because Jets. Can't forget the easy, copout, wouldn't-have-mattered reply lol. 

the what ifs can get pretty long.  maybe the biggest what if is if the jets selected a different GM than mac?  certainly bowles had some issues as the head coach but mac was beyond horrible.

13 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the what ifs can get pretty long.  maybe the biggest what if is if the jets selected a different GM than mac?  certainly bowles had some issues as the head coach but mac was beyond horrible.

Except even with Bowles and his issues, two older, borderline backup starters had the most productive seasons of their long careers. 

This fantasy that the game's very best players would have been useless busts on the Jets has grown beyond tiresome.

Like Mahomes -- with all the "yeabutt if he wuz with teh Jets" trash, you'd think he was some 4th round prospect who came from division II school and had just meh numbers there or something but then merely threw it fast and measured with big hands and requisite height at the combine so he moved up b/c of the combine alone. I'm nobody's draft wiz, but the guy had 100 TDs and 10,000 yards over his last 2 college years, even while bypassing his senior season. If we'd taken Watson over Mahomes, then you could make the "oh well, nobody knew" argument, but not when you take a ****ing safety instead. Same with Darnold/Jackson: even with Jackson playing so much better than Darnold so far, I'm not going to kill them for taking Darnold when he fell to #3 instead of massively reaching for Jackson there. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Except even with Bowles and his issues, two older, borderline backup starters had the most productive seasons of their long careers.  

This fantasy that the game's very best players would have been useless busts on the Jets has grown beyond tiresome.

Like Mahomes -- with all the "yeabutt if he wuz with teh Jets" trash, you'd think he was some 4th round prospect who came from division II school and had just meh numbers there or something but then merely threw it fast and measured with big hands and requisite height at the combine so he moved up b/c of the combine alone. I'm nobody's draft wiz, but the guy had 100 TDs and 10,000 yards over his last 2 college years, even while bypassing his senior season. If we'd taken Watson over Mahomes, then you could make the "oh well, nobody knew" argument, but not when you take a ****ing safety instead. Same with Darnold/Jackson: even with Jackson playing so much better than Darnold so far, I'm not going to kill them for taking Darnold when he fell to #3 instead of massively reaching for Jackson there. 

It's also just timing.  Maccagnan made a mistake resigning Fitzpatrick for '16 and drafted quarterbacks in both '15 and '16.  Taking yet another quarterback in '17 before validating Petty or Hackenberg would have had fans and media ripping him from here to kingdom come.  Knowing that the '18 class was rich in QB talent and having McCown to bail out Petty if he bombed must have seemed logical to him.  Taking Hackenberg in the 2nd round is one of the all time Jets draft blunders.

Either way, it all led us to getting Darnold on O and Adams on D and while Mahomes would have been fantastic I like the shape we're in now.  Darnold shapes up to be a Top 5 AFC QB.  We haven't had someone like that since 1972.

SAR I

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

It's also just timing.  Maccagnan made a mistake resigning Fitzpatrick for '16 and drafted quarterbacks in both '15 and '16.  Taking yet another quarterback in '17 before validating Petty or Hackenberg would have had fans and media ripping him from here to kingdom come.  Knowing that the '18 class was rich in QB talent and having McCown to bail out Petty if he bombed must have seemed logical to him.  Taking Hackenberg in the 2nd round is one of the all time Jets draft blunders.

Either way, it all led us to getting Darnold on O and Adams on D and while Mahomes would have been fantastic I like the shape we're in now.  Darnold shapes up to be a Top 5 AFC QB.  We haven't had someone like that since 1972.

SAR I

no