2020 Yankees Thread

chirorob

On 2/7/2020 at 5:52 PM, BROOKLYN JET said:

He's gonna miss 4 months, that's going to cost him millions on his next contract.

In the long run that’s a good thing for the Yankeess if they decide to resign him

we should be ok with Cole-Severino-Tanaka-Montgomery first half of the season 

21 hours ago, section314 said:

Agreed.....would think they want it to be a vet, a guy who won't be thrown off by the erratic schedule that that role entails.

They’re unfortunately gonna try Happ again which I think is a mistake.  Not only because he sucked as a starter last year but he was effective as a reliever out of the pen and can be a guy who gives you 2-3 innings as a long reliever 

I’d much rather see then give someone from the minors a shot

17 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

I’m not at all concerned about the regular season. Of course nothing is guaranteed but let’s get everybody back healthy and not rushed because we have the depth to survive. It’s a long season and the goal is a World Series championship. 

It is and we’re guaranteed both Paxton and German back by mid July which gives us the best rotation in baseball 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

It is and we’re guaranteed both Paxton and German back by mid July which gives us the best rotation in baseball 

German missing time may be a blessing in disguise.   Not for what he did, that is crap.

But, last year he definitely wore down, that shouldn't be an issue this year.   If Paxton really did have a partial discectomy, he is looking at 6 months or he is risking re-injuring the disc and needing a second surgery, so he could be all the way out to mid August (I don't know when/if he had the surgery yet).

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, chirorob said:

Shoulder sore?

Or something else?   I love the guy, but if he goes FA at age 29, I don't give him an 8 year deal.   I hope they do right by him and just extend him now.

Unfortunately the Yankees probably won’t have a choice.  The Stanton and Cole contracts are going to strap them

I think Judge is under control til ‘23 so we have at least 2 more years til the Yankees will be forced to shop him for prospects

15 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Unfortunately the Yankees probably won’t have a choice.  The Stanton and Cole contracts are going to strap them

I think Judge is under control til ‘23 so we have at least 2 more years til the Yankees will be forced to shop him for prospects

No way the Yankees ever trade Judge as long as he keeps up a high level of play. He’s pretty much the next Jeter already as far as the fans and organization view him. The Yankees put in the Judges chamber already, they’re all in on this guy. 

If anyone is getting traded it’ll be Stanton and the Yankees will just have to eat like half the contract. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He pitched a total of, 16 innings last year?   So did he actually hurt it the year before?

He threw 208 total inning (including playoffs) at age 23, and about 200 at age 24.   Is that what killed him?

Today, a starter in a 5 man rotation gets about 32 starts/year, a top end 1or 2 maybe 35. That works out to about 6 inn/start. The problem is these kids don't throw enough coming up through their various systems. Seaver, Cone, Darling all have said, numerous times over their many years as broadcasters, that the key to their success and longevity was throwing a lot. Teams today are training guys to run 6 furlongs, and then are shocked when they can't run a mile and a 1/4. Kids today are bigger and stronger than ever before, take better care of their bodies, etc. Teams have to stop babying these guys, and let them throw. Trust me, they can all do it.

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, section314 said:

Today, a starter in a 5 man rotation gets about 32 starts/year, a top end 1or 2 maybe 35. That works out to about 6 inn/start. The problem is these kids don't throw enough coming up through their various systems. Seaver, Cone, Darling all have said, numerous times over their many years as broadcasters, that the key to their success and longevity was throwing a lot. Teams today are training guys to run 6 furlongs, and then are shocked when they can't run a mile and a 1/4. Kids today are bigger and stronger than ever before, take better care of their bodies, etc. Teams have to stop babying these guys, and let them throw. Trust me, they can all do it.

It is amazing how guys in the 1920s-1980s could throw so many more innings.   I know, guys today throw harder, the ball parks are smaller, but it used to be tons of guys threw 250+ innings.   Now, throwing 200 is a major accomplishment.

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, section314 said:

The horse racing analogy is perfect. Great way to put it. 

4 hours ago, section314 said:

The current crop of pitchers go max effort from first inning to their last pitch. They put much more strain on their arms than pitchers in the past that would look to go 7-8-9 innings. Conserving bullets.

Kids pitch to radar guns and that is how that get signed, promoted and advance.

18 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The current crop of pitchers go max effort from first inning to their last pitch. They put much more strain on their arms than pitchers in the past that would look to go 7-8-9 innings. Conserving bullets.

Kids pitch to radar guns and that is how that get signed, promoted and advance.

No doubt. I guess my point is that baseball needs to stop worrying about how fast a guy throws and whether they can throw strikes and get guys out.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, chirorob said:

He pitched a total of, 16 innings last year?   So did he actually hurt it the year before?

He threw 208 total inning (including playoffs) at age 23, and about 200 at age 24.   Is that what killed him?

The kid is just a hard thrower and that made him injury prone.  It’s rare in today’s game for there to be a Justin Verlander a guy who as a starter can consistently throw 100 mph and have a long career

On 2/22/2020 at 11:26 AM, chirorob said:

You mean actually pitch, and not just throw hard?

Severino was always a hard thrower he just learned how to pitch 2 years ago.  

If he has to get the Tommy John this officially sucks.  Cashman needs to trade for a starting pitcher 

On 2/23/2020 at 3:35 PM, Philc1 said:

Severino was always a hard thrower he just learned how to pitch 2 years ago.  

If he has to get the Tommy John this officially sucks.  Cashman needs to trade for a starting pitcher 

No way would I trade for anyone right now. The Severino injury is a huge concern. But they have German coming back pretty early in the year and Paxton won't be gone that long either. They have depth, but it would be nice if the team could just stay healthy.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

No way would I trade for anyone right now. The Severino injury is a huge concern. But they have German coming back pretty early in the year and Paxton won't be gone that long either. They have depth, but it would be nice if the team could just stay healthy.

Confirmed, he needs Tommy John surgery.  Out till at least next august?

I bet he's glad he signed a 4 year 40 million extension.