Sign in to follow this  
chirorob

2020 Yankees Thread

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Yankees need a serviceable 5th starter first half of the year

Agreed.....would think they want it to be a vet, a guy who won't be thrown off by the erratic schedule that that role entails.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, chirorob said:

He pitched a total of, 16 innings last year?   So did he actually hurt it the year before?

He threw 208 total inning (including playoffs) at age 23, and about 200 at age 24.   Is that what killed him?

Today, a starter in a 5 man rotation gets about 32 starts/year, a top end 1or 2 maybe 35. That works out to about 6 inn/start. The problem is these kids don't throw enough coming up through their various systems. Seaver, Cone, Darling all have said, numerous times over their many years as broadcasters, that the key to their success and longevity was throwing a lot. Teams today are training guys to run 6 furlongs, and then are shocked when they can't run a mile and a 1/4. Kids today are bigger and stronger than ever before, take better care of their bodies, etc. Teams have to stop babying these guys, and let them throw. Trust me, they can all do it.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

The current crop of pitchers go max effort from first inning to their last pitch. They put much more strain on their arms than pitchers in the past that would look to go 7-8-9 innings. Conserving bullets.

Kids pitch to radar guns and that is how that get signed, promoted and advance.

No doubt. I guess my point is that baseball needs to stop worrying about how fast a guy throws and whether they can throw strikes and get guys out.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, chirorob said:

You mean actually pitch, and not just throw hard?

Well said. And so true.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Barton said:

Severino has been hurt for over a year now. And the Yankees just found out he needs tommy john.

What in the f###.

Maybe they are consulting with the Mets team doctors?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Barton said:

All those guys were past their prime or 2nd tier pitchers. Thats my point. He hardly ever goes after the aces. Other teams trade for aces. HE HAS NEVER TRADED FOR AN ACE. What does he do? Hug his prospects, who are usually just corner outfielders and corner infielders, ie dime a dozen players that you can acquire in any free agency class for just dollars. Meanwhile the red sox get josh beckett, curt schilling and chris sale. The astros trade for Verlander, Cole and Greinke etc. When has Cashman ever traded for a legit #1 ace? NEVER. Because he doesnt put a #1 ace pitcher at the top of his to-do list. He'd rather trade for sluggers with holes in their swings like Stanton. This guy has been the GM of the NEW YORK YANKEES for over 20 years. He has delivered 1 championship the last 20 years. That is F'ING TERRIBLE. All those talented teams in the early mid-2000's - never won anything. After 2009 - nothing. Again, when was the last time the Yankees entered the season with the best starting staff on paper in the entire league???? It hasnt happened in God knows how long. Why? Because Cashman doesnt priortize starting pitching and having a legit top 5 starter on his team. Period.

Maybe these numbers can talk you and the rest of the paranoid Yankee fans off the ledge a bit. The Yanks play 19 games against the Orioles who lost 108 games, 19 against the Blue Jays who "only" lost 95. They play 6 games each against the power house Tigers who lost 114, and the scary Royals who went down 103 times. Throw in 6 more against the always great Mariners who dropped 94 and that makes 56 games, or35% of your schedule against AAA teams. Or, to ease the pain even more, 19% against teams that lost 100+ games.  You could pitch Cole and the top four starters from Scranton and still win the division by 15 games. It's Friday, go have a cold one and relax. It's gonna be ok.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

While the injuries pile up at least Montgomery and Frazier look good in spring trng

Matz for Frazier. Good trade for both teams.

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I dunno.  It’s not sounding good about Judge he could be out for a couple months or more

Frazier can hit and suddenly the Yankees are short corner outfielders

I think Frazier is going to be a very good player when he finally gets his chance. I don't know why the Yanks don't seem to like this guy. They almost seem to go out of their way to not let him play.

• Upvote 1

I think the Yankees team DR. is Frank Burns from M*A*S*H😁

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Severino and Judge both had these injuries last year.  With Severino it’s especially bad because he could have had Tommy John several months ago and would be back beginning of ‘21

I know. People forget that Jake had Tommy John years ago. So did Strasburg, I believe.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

I know it’s not going to happen but I was thinking with my extra time that it would be cool if...

The season was simply pushed back with no elimination of games, we could have Mr. October(Reggie) Mr. November(Jeter) and Mr. December(TBD)

Honestly hope that's gonna be Sam this year.😎

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company