Sign in to follow this  
chirorob

2020 Yankees Thread

Injuries already starting.

Paxton to have back surgery.

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

It is and we’re guaranteed both Paxton and German back by mid July which gives us the best rotation in baseball 

German missing time may be a blessing in disguise.   Not for what he did, that is crap.

But, last year he definitely wore down, that shouldn't be an issue this year.   If Paxton really did have a partial discectomy, he is looking at 6 months or he is risking re-injuring the disc and needing a second surgery, so he could be all the way out to mid August (I don't know when/if he had the surgery yet).

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Judge already injured ugh

Shoulder sore?

Or something else?   I love the guy, but if he goes FA at age 29, I don't give him an 8 year deal.   I hope they do right by him and just extend him now.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Now Severino is hurt too

I don't pay much attention to this team. How much of a killer would it be if he can't hack it this year?

Forearm, which apparently hurt last year.

Its early, but that can be tommy john surgery.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

BD2E574C-E9AF-4AB4-A96E-B13DCC3A980A.jpeg

He pitched a total of, 16 innings last year?   So did he actually hurt it the year before?

He threw 208 total inning (including playoffs) at age 23, and about 200 at age 24.   Is that what killed him?

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, section314 said:

Today, a starter in a 5 man rotation gets about 32 starts/year, a top end 1or 2 maybe 35. That works out to about 6 inn/start. The problem is these kids don't throw enough coming up through their various systems. Seaver, Cone, Darling all have said, numerous times over their many years as broadcasters, that the key to their success and longevity was throwing a lot. Teams today are training guys to run 6 furlongs, and then are shocked when they can't run a mile and a 1/4. Kids today are bigger and stronger than ever before, take better care of their bodies, etc. Teams have to stop babying these guys, and let them throw. Trust me, they can all do it.

It is amazing how guys in the 1920s-1980s could throw so many more innings.   I know, guys today throw harder, the ball parks are smaller, but it used to be tons of guys threw 250+ innings.   Now, throwing 200 is a major accomplishment.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, section314 said:

No doubt. I guess my point is that baseball needs to stop worrying about how fast a guy throws and whether they can throw strikes and get guys out.

You mean actually pitch, and not just throw hard?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

No way would I trade for anyone right now. The Severino injury is a huge concern. But they have German coming back pretty early in the year and Paxton won't be gone that long either. They have depth, but it would be nice if the team could just stay healthy.

Confirmed, he needs Tommy John surgery.  Out till at least next august?

I bet he's glad he signed a 4 year 40 million extension.

14 hours ago, Barton said:

Severino has been hurt for over a year now. And the Yankees just found out he needs tommy john.

What in the f###.

They did multiple MRIs, they kept coming up negative.

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Cashman and these contracts. Ellsbury, Hicks and Severino, just terrible.

I thought the Severino was a good extension.   He was young, had just pitched 2 very good seasons, and had no health concerns.   His arm then immediately falls off from the strain of signing the contract.

Hicks was bizarre.   Why give him 7 years?   He has always been injury prone.   Ellsbury is an all time bad contract.

On 2/28/2020 at 9:28 AM, Philc1 said:

The problem is Cashman has been burned so many times by free agent SP’s (Randy Johnson, Javy Vasquez twice, AJ Burnett, Kevin Brown) he’s now really gun shy to get pitchers

It's amazing the luck he's had.

Pineda, I liked the move at the time.

Javy, I liked the move at the time, especially the 1st one.

Pavano, liked it at the time.

AJ, liked it at the time.

• Upvote 1

On 3/6/2020 at 3:04 PM, BROOKLYN JET said:

Now Judge has a fractured rib and surgery is not ruled out. 

Meanwhile Shesterkin had a fractured rib and is starting against the Devils. 

He was out 2 weeks, who knows when we'll see Judge again. 

Yankees already have all 3 outfielders and 2 starting pitchers out for opening day and for God knows how long.

Judge fractured the T1 rib.    If it hasn't healed by now, why do they think it'll heal in the next couple weeks?  A lot of pitchers have the rib removed, I bet that's what he has done.   Good thing they didn't do that in Novemeber/December and decided to wait until 2 weeks before the season to diagnose it.

12 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Sounds like a last second Hail Mary to avoid season ending surgery

If they remove the rib. (I don't know they will need to), it's not season ending.  But it should have been found and dealt with 4 months ago.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Philc1 said:

And now Gary might have coronavirus you can’t make this up

I will not be surprised if MLB doesn't start until may

33 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

If there even is a season it will be shortened to 120-140 games

Agree.

Side note, if Judge needs surgery, just freaking do it now

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this  

Content Partnership

Yes Network