PFF Ranks Jamal Adams as the 32nd Best Player in the NFL

Pro Football Focus ranks Jamal Adams as the 32nd best player in the NFL

By John B  Feb 5, 2020, 8:57pm EST

NFL: New York Giants at New York JetsNoah K. Murray-USA TODAY Sports

Pro Football Focus is ranking the top 101 players in the NFL from 2019. One Jets player is on their list. Unsurprisingly it is Jamal Adams.

This is a point I make frequently. Positional value does matter in the NFL, but sometimes roles are more important than positions. I don’t think you can really say that Adams is just a safety. He fills numerous roles for the Jets. If the opponent has a matchup problem as a tight end, Jamal can take that guy. If the Jets need to shut down the run game, he can play in the box. When the Jets need a sack, he can blitz effectively.

Any way you slice it, I think this is a premium player. PFF seems to agree.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

People with a clue about football don't need PFF or any other sports media outlet to see and know a great player when they see one. 

But does it take a psychologist to know if a player is a great leader or no? Because when I ask Jet fans why we want to pay him record setting money, they tell me “his leadership bro”. If that’s the case than why don’t the Jets just hire a life coach for the locker room.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

But does it take a psychologist to know if a player is a great leader or no? Because when I ask Jet fans why we want to pay him record setting money, they tell me “his leadership bro”. If that’s the case than why don’t the Jets just hire a life coach for the locker room.

What common fan would have knowledge of a players locker room leadership. I only see a leader on the field and a player who plays every down every play. He talks the talk and walks the walk, unlike those who hate him and doubt him. Who sit home on Sundays in a damp basement eating pork rinds mocking a great NFL player who has made it in life. 

PFF ranked him 32nd best player in the NFL not bad for only being 32 NFL teams.Hooray for Jamal Adams and NY Jets fans. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

The problem with the team last year had nothing to do with Jamal Adams.

Our previous GM refused to draft offensive lineman. That was the goddam ballgame.

It has nothing to do with him but his elite play also doesn’t equate success based on his positional impact. 

Our previous GM not drafting OL is obviously the main issue but now that has to be fixed with money and picks to ensure our QB has a chance to live thru out next year. Trading an expensive piece that doesn’t really impact our W/L is genius and gives us those assets to use.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2

6 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

What common fan would have knowledge of a players locker room leadership. I only see a leader on the field and a player who plays every down every play. He talks the talk and walks the walk, unlike those who hate him and doubt him. Who sit home on Sundays in a damp basement eating pork rinds mocking a great NFL player who has made it in life. 

PFF ranked him 32nd best player in the NFL not bad for only being 32 NFL teams.Hooray for Jamal Adams and NY Jets fans. 

You take everything so personally and it’s weird — TRADE HIS ASS.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Death2NE said:

literally ripped the ball out of Daniel Jones hands like a child and scored , you know why you don’t see that in many games from many teams ? 

I mean, while there weren't many for TDs (or maybe that was the only one), Daniel Jones fumbled 18 times last year, which is 5th most in league history.  Hell of a play, but Adams didn't exactly rip the ball out of a bear trap there.

7 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I mean, while there weren't many for TDs (or maybe that was the only one), Daniel Jones fumbled 18 times last year, which is 5th most in league history.  Hell of a play, but Adams didn't exactly rip the ball out of a bear trap there.

Kinda like when Scandrick stripped the immortal Luke Falk and scored.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

43 minutes ago, Death2NE said:

Adams last year was almost playing on the level of a Troy polamalu , game winning stops , pass break ups , he blitzes as good as any safety I’ve ever seen , he’s the emotional leader , literally ripped the ball out of Daniel Jones hands like a child and scored , you know why you don’t see that in many games from many teams ? Because there aren’t a lot of defensive players as special as Adams ... are the Steelers as good as they were for a decade without polamalu? Maybe they’re a solid team but constantly one of the best bc of his ability to make plays like Adams showed he can make last season ... we finally have a true stud probably HOF bound player as the face of the defense (hopefully Sam takes that role for the offense ) and 3 quarters of this forum want to trade him away for draft picks who will be hit or miss , miss 8/10 times with this franchise ... I don’t get it

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

You and me?

Enemies.

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

In this case, it's Luke Falk's fault.

In Adam's case, it was a great play.

howd a big dude like griff fail to tackle him??  ffs.

Good point...    somewhere in another dams thread, clerarly we need evene more, they said he blitzed 93 times?

Thats a LOW win rate....

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

It has nothing to do with him but his elite play also doesn’t equate success based on his positional impact. 

Our previous GM not drafting OL is obviously the main issue but now that has to be fixed with money and picks to ensure our QB has a chance to live thru out next year. Trading an expensive piece that doesn’t really impact our W/L is genius and gives us those assets to use.

Getting rid of good, home-grown players is usually a bad idea. 

While I understand Jamal’s position isn’t one of priority - we’ve got enough cap and picks to correct the flaws on this team while also paying Jamal. 

I’d look to move Bell or Mosley before I moved Jamal. But that’s likely not going to happen either. 

Sign a big ticket offensive lineman, a middle tier one and draft o-lineman early and often this April. There’s no need to trade Jamal. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I wish PFF never existed. It gives people with no clue a flawed gauge of how good or bad a player is.

With zero regard for positional importance and questionable means by which they come by their grades.

It's a useful tool, because no one other than Football Outsiders is looking at every play and providing scores that are readily available to the public.  But people go overboard.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

For competent teams, yes.  Mike Maccagnan was the worst GM of all-time.  Thus we don't have much homegrown talent worth keeping. 

And while some counter that with "All the more reason to keep Adams, one of the few good ones!"  That's how you get into trouble; overpaying a guy just because he's one of very few who deserve a 2nd contract is an easy way to end up with major holes on your roster down the road anyways.

Pay Jordan Jenkins.  Trade Jamal.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

While I understand Jamal’s position isn’t one of priority - we’ve got enough cap and picks to correct the flaws on this team while also paying Jamal. 

I’d look to move Bell or Mosley before I moved Jamal. But that’s likely not going to happen either. 

Sign a big ticket offensive lineman, a middle tier one and draft o-lineman early and often this April. There’s no need to trade Jamal. 

There’s plenty of a reason to trade Jamal if you value significant future cap being used on a non-impact position. 17 million per year for Jamal is absolutely freaking insane and I don’t care how home grown he is...could be from NY and it’s still a no-go for me. 17? No way man.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For competent teams, yes.  Mike Maccagnan was the worst GM of all-time.  Thus we don't have much homegrown talent worth keeping. 

And while some counter that with "All the more reason to keep Adams, one of the few good ones!"  That's how you get into trouble; overpaying a guy just because he's one of very few who deserve a 2nd contract is an easy way to end up with major holes on your roster down the road anyways.

Pay Jordan Jenkins.  Trade Jamal.  

This is such nonsense.  When was the last time a team go into "trouble" for paying a top S what he's earned?  Not overpaid, whatever that means.  What he should get. What nonsense.  Draft players and unless they play positions you like, or really are players you like, don't resign them?  That's how you build a team?