PFF Ranks Jamal Adams as the 32nd Best Player in the NFL

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

There’s plenty of a reason to trade Jamal if you value significant future cap being used on a non-impact position. 17 million per year for Jamal is absolutely freaking insane and I don’t care how home grown he is...could be from NY and it’s still a no-go for me. 17? No way man.

Yep.  The last thing we should be doing is devoting that % of the cap on a SS.  

Trade him if you can.  Let him walk after his 4th season OR 5th-year team option otherwise.  Ignore his complaints as needed.  If Jamal ends up holding out he'll lose that PR battle eventually.  

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Trade him if you can.  Let him walk after his 4th season OR 5th-year team option otherwise.  Ignore his complaints as needed.  If Jamal ends up holding out he'll lose that PR battle eventually.  

Because 17 mil would do what?

Seriously

Whats the damage you see with this scenario?

Because nothing would say our team is run by the clueless if we let him walk.  No one anywhere would do this.  No one

2 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Idk. Been told here on Jetnation that he’s not even top 200. This is way off. 

Naaa, clearly I was wrong.  Clearly, if a reputable place like PFF thinks he's #32, so I guess he is.

Long term deal highest paid defender time is here.  Hope the folks who love him are right.

2 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

What’s more SOJ than demanding we trade our best player, because a Strong Safety isn’t as value as a Left Tackle ?

Funny, because I think its SOJ to try to defend handing a SS a $17M per contract while we need 3-4 new OL and 1-2 new WRs.

Jamal has been here 3 years and we haven't won d*ck, and that's with him on a cheap rookie deal.  Let's change things up and try something different.  

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Funny, because I think its SOJ to try to defend handing a SS a $17M per contract while we need 3-4 new OL and 1-2 new WRs.

Jamal has been here 3 years and we haven't won d*ck, and that's with him on a cheap rookie deal.  Let's change things up and try something different.  

So will you be saying the same thing about Sam Darnold when it's time to pay him. Asking for a friend. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We are playing one of our corners more than that, and he stinks. It’s hardly like we have a ton of All -Pro players on the roster to spend big contracts on.

The Jets cap isn’t a problem, a real lack of any talent is.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

We are playing one of our corners more than that, and he stinks.

Is making one mistake a justification for potentially making another?

It’s hardly like we have a ton of All -Pro players on the roster to spend big contracts on.

The cool things about cap space is we're not limited to spending it only on guys on our current roster.

I don't disagree.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We haven't won d*ck in 51 years......................

Where you been? 

Jamal Adams 1 of the best draft picks this team has hit on in ages. 

You build a winning team around players like Jamal Adams. 

• Sympathy 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Most people would agree he's a great player (minus jets fans of course), and the idea that the Jets MUST trade him in order to rebuild was always stupid.

That being said if a team were to offer something extraordinary, you'd have to take it, cause as much as Jamal likes to think so, Brady or Donald he is not.

I’ll take a 1st round pick and a side order of spare ribs

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But I want value for him. I'm not trading him just to trade him. I want prime value

8 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

No one is saying we should let him walk.

Not true, we're deep into the looney bin now.

Let him walk.

Get rid of him, wtf, hes been here, we havent won those years.  Its all on him.  

Next up, Jamal Adams causes cancer.  F him.

9 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

We are playing one of our corners more than that, and he stinks. It’s hardly like we have a ton of All -Pro players on the roster to spend big contracts on.

So because we f**ked up in signing Trumaine Johnson, that makes paying your SS $17M a good idea?

The Jets cap absolutely is a problem.  Primarily because of all the money we're paying CJ Mosley.  Devoting $34M+ per season to ILB and SS is not a smart allocation of resources.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For competent teams, yes.  Mike Maccagnan was the worst GM of all-time.  Thus we don't have much homegrown talent worth keeping. 

And while some counter that with "All the more reason to keep Adams, one of the few good ones!"  That's how you get into trouble; overpaying a guy just because he's one of very few who deserve a 2nd contract is an easy way to end up with major holes on your roster down the road anyways.

Pay Jordan Jenkins.  Trade Jamal.  

10 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

There’s plenty of a reason to trade Jamal if you value significant future cap being used on a non-impact position. 17 million per year for Jamal is absolutely freaking insane and I don’t care how home grown he is...could be from NY and it’s still a no-go for me. 17? No way man.

This response is for both of you, since I see the same reasoning in both of your points.

We all understand there are ways out of NFL contracts. These aren't 200 million dollar MLB contracts we're talking about. We can sign Jamal to say 16 mil a year for 6 years with a way out of it in three years if you pony up the guaranteed money early and structure it reasonably. We see it happen all the time in this league.

The simple truth is we don't have anyone else on this roster, other than Darnold, that's really worth re-signing for big money - we're not the Cowboys with a series of difficult decisions to make.

Even if we have an amazing draft this year and find five starters, three of whom that mature into pro bowlers, we'd still not have to worry about re-signing them for at least another three years.

We have time.

The most likely scenario of unloading him for a pick is acquiring some Bryan Thomas type player with the pick. And yea, we saved some money, so we can sign say a Calvin Pace type player and still have some money left over.

That's the most likely scenario btw - neither being unfair in the delusional sense (that we're gonna draft a Brick/Mangold/Revis with that pick) or in the pessimist sense (Kyle Wilson/Dee Mil/Dewayne Robertson/Quentin Coples) and the same for the free agency (Faneca/Woody vs Trumaine/Kalil). 

We have ourselves a top player at his position; even if it isn't a premium one.  Let's hold onto him for his prime, especially at a time where we're not exactly strapped for cash nor is our roster some gluttonous mass of talent. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

20 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Pro Football Focus ranks Jamal Adams as the 32nd best player in the NFL

By John B  Feb 5, 2020, 8:57pm EST

NFL: New York Giants at New York JetsNoah K. Murray-USA TODAY Sports

Pro Football Focus is ranking the top 101 players in the NFL from 2019. One Jets player is on their list. Unsurprisingly it is Jamal Adams.

This is a point I make frequently. Positional value does matter in the NFL, but sometimes roles are more important than positions. I don’t think you can really say that Adams is just a safety. He fills numerous roles for the Jets. If the opponent has a matchup problem as a tight end, Jamal can take that guy. If the Jets need to shut down the run game, he can play in the box. When the Jets need a sack, he can blitz effectively.

Any way you slice it, I think this is a premium player. PFF seems to agree.

5 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

The most likely scenario of unloading him for a pick is acquiring some Bryan Thomas type player with the pick. And yea, we saved some money, so we can sign say a Calvin Pace type player and still have some money left over.

If you’re worried that your GM isn’t capable of drafting someone better than Bryan Thomas at 17, then you should just fire that GM.

• Upvote 3