PFF Ranks Jamal Adams as the 32nd Best Player in the NFL

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

A first and a third is generous and realistic. Minkah Fitzpatrick is a better player who can actually play man to man and he went for what was going to be a late first before Roethlisberger went down 

A 1st and 3rd is realistic, and I would consider it depending where those picks sit within their rounds. 

Minkah is a Free Safety, Adams is a Strong Safety. It could be tough to say that one is better than another given that I doubt Adams has the Free-safety ballhawk skills as Minkah and I doubt that Minkah has the ability to pass rush, play box and tackle the way strong safeties do. 

I will give much credit to Adams for the fact that: Minkah plays much more coverage than Adams on a per-snap basis, yet Minkah is averaging 9 PD's per season, while Adams is averaging 8.3. This stat shows that Adams can cover. 

Then you compare the rest of their game and though Adams has been in the league 1 more year, he has double the amount of tackles, Minkah has 0 career sacks, Adams has 12. Mink has 3 career Tackle for a Loss, Adams has 28 TFL's

Furthermore, It's hard for anyone to confirm whether Minkah is better when he turned it on when he finally got to a team with all-world talent. We have no idea how great Adams could be if he had all top talent at every level of the defense to assist him, such as All-Pro LB TJ Watt, All-Pro D-lineman Cameron Heyward and Probowl Corner Joe Haden. 

Jamal Adams is playing with who? Adams is the only All-Pro/Probowl player on the entire team in 2020, in 2019 Adams was the only All-Pro (2nd team) on the Jets and the only Probowler that wasnt a special teamer. Matter of fact, Adams hasnt played with a probowler on defense since he's been drafted. Remember, Pro Bowl 2018 (Adams rookie season) the Jets didnt even have a probowler on the team. The only defensive probowler on the Jets since 2017 has been Jamal Adams, the only All Pro player on the team outside of special teams has been...Jamal Adams. 

Dude is special, and is doing it with zero help. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Jamal Adams is playing with who? Adams is the only All-Pro/Probowl player on the entire team in 2020, in 2019 Adams was the only All-Pro (2nd team) on the Jets and the only Probowler that wasnt a special teamer. Matter of fact, Adams hasnt played with a probowler on defense since he's been drafted. Remember, Pro Bowl 2018 (Adams rookie season) the Jets didnt even have a probowler on the team. The only defensive probowler on the Jets since 2017 has been Jamal Adams, the only All Pro player on the team outside of special teams has been...Jamal Adams. 

Why does he get extra credit for this? He’s on a bad team because he’s on a team that drafts strong safeties at #6. He had all-Americans all over the place at LSU and he was the exact same player. He is what he is. There is no better version of Jamal Adams and paying him like there is a better Jamal is absurd. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Since being drafted by the Jets, Jamal Adams is the only non-special teams player to be named a Probowler/All-Pro. 

I figured that I'd emphasize this fact. 

Wonderful self-promoter at a position that doesnt have much star power. Chancellor was like the 5th best player on that Seattle defense and he's like the most recent benchmark of a really good SS. Adams is more pizzaz than production.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

In the whole league?!?

Demario Davis was drafted by the Jets in the 3rd round (77th pick) of the 2012 NFL Draft. How many Pro Bowls has he been to? I believe he was named an All-Pro from this past season. He was somebody we should have rewarded with a new contract instead of guys like Trumaine Johnson. 

• Upvote 3

On 2/7/2020 at 8:40 AM, joewilly12 said:

Trading away your best proven NFL players that you draft for what if draft picks is asinine. 

Theres a reason this team has had little or no success in 51 years and Jamal Adams isn't one of the reasons. 

Isn’t every draft pick a “what if” draft pick at some point? Wasn’t Jamal Adams a draft pick? Isn’t that how all players come into the league? Why tf are we scared of drafting more players to speed our rebuild up and protect Sam simply by giving up a high priced player with little to do with helping out QB???????!!!!??? Lol I just don’t get it. SS’s aren’t something you hold back from trading if the opportunity arises to benefit from. 

But leadership right? Such a leader that he threw a hissy fit and got out of character emotionally. I hate Fat Mike but he hit the nail on the head when he spoke about Adams. Leadership isn’t taking to Twitter to throw shade at the General Manager instead of speaking to him first. It took an entire circus act on social media, NY media outlets letting loose on us, ect, ect for a meeting to get set up and touched on when a real leader would of made that his first move to begin with.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Why does he get extra credit for this?

For the fact that as a Strong Safety he's on par in Passes Defended with a Free Safety that you claimed was better than him. 

You made the comparison to a Free Safety which isnt Adams position, though Adams displays a stat that's on par with that same Free Safety...a stat that is one of the top 2 or 3 in determining the success of that Free Safety on a statistical basis. 

So I gave him credit for it. 

He’s on a bad team because he’s on a team that drafts strong safeties at #6.

What's your point? Minkah was on a team that was "Not as bad" (proof in a second), yet Minkah didnt become an All-Pro until he got paired with other All-Pro's and Probowlers and a championship Coach.

He had all-Americans all over the place at LSU and he was the exact same player. He is what he is. There is no better version of Jamal Adams and paying him like there is a better Jamal is absurd. 

And being on the Jets around a bunch of all-dud's proves that Adams wasnt just an All American because he was around a bunch of All Americans at LSU. Minkah however was also around a bunch of All Americans at Alabama, yet for a player claimed to be better than Adams, didnt become an All-Pro or even a probowler until he was traded to the Steelers and got to play with current All-Pro's. 

But his situation in Miami wasnt as bleak as Adams, as Minkah played with (here's the proof) Reshad Jones, Cameron Wake and Xavien Howard....all Pro Bowl level players, and Wake in particular being a former All-Pro and possibly a future HOF'er. 

Minkah has been surrounded by talent at bare minimum, and now with the Steelers he's surrounded with even better talent and a SB winning head coach. Jamal Adams has been around complete incompetency....yet has been the only guy to actually deliver at his position. 

There is no "better version" of Adams because Adams has always played as that "version". 

And paying Adams to continue doing that is fine by me, instead of paying underachieving players to continue to underachieve because they play what is considered a "more important position". 

20 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Demario Davis was drafted by the Jets in the 3rd round (77th pick) of the 2012 NFL Draft. How many Pro Bowls has he been to? I believe he was named an All-Pro from this past season. He was somebody we should have rewarded with a new contract instead of guys like Trumaine Johnson. 

Exactly. Davis was already here, playing pro bowl level football in his last outing and we let him walk. The Saints paid him an average of 8 million per year. 

After letting Davis walk, that same incompetent GM pays CJ Mosley 17 million per year average. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

You said a bunch of nothing. 

Chancellor was a significantly better player than Adams and was at best their 4th best player and a guy who never earned over 5 mill a year. Giving Adams 15+ a year would be unbelievably bad and typical Jets.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Chancellor was a significantly better player than Adams and was at best their 4th best player and a guy who never earned over 5 mill a year. Giving Adams 15+ a year would be unbelievably bad and typical Jets.

This is why I said you said a bunch of nothing. 

Cam Chancellor was "significantly" better than Adams, yet was their 4th best player. 

No matter if Cam was better than Adams, the fact is that Adams is significantly better than most SS's currently in the league and is arguably the best Safety in the league no matter the type of safety. Adams isnt the 4th best player on his team, he's the best player on his team. 

Come back to me when Adams is the 4th best player on the team. Also, comparing what Chancellor made as if the salary's are similar today doesnt mean much. You pay Chancellor less because there's other high level talent around him that must also be paid. Adams get his pay because he has to sit around a bunch of drafted unproven players hoping that they become something while Adams is already the man of the team and being leaned on by the coaching staff to do everything on defense that they need to get done, until they can get guys that can do those jobs. 

Those are different situations. 

All Cam Chancellor had to do was play his position. He wasnt asked to do more than that. 

4 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Since being drafted by the Jets, Jamal Adams is the only non-special teams player to be named a Probowler/All-Pro. 

I figured that I'd emphasize this fact. 

That doesn't mean you pay him.  It just means the Jets suck, and we need to move on from the sh*t-stain of the Macc era as quickly as possible.  

Other than Jordan Jenkins, that is.  Pay him if you want.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That doesn't mean you pay him.  It just means the Jets suck, and we need to move on from the sh*t-stain of the Macc era as quickly as possible.  

Other than Jordan Jenkins, that is.  Pay him if you want.

Well, when the Jets dont suck then they'll be in position to say "take this price or move on and we'll be okay". 

Until then...

13 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Well, when the Jets dont suck then they'll be in position to say "take this price or move on and we'll be okay". 

Until then...

Overpaying non-impactful and/or sh*tty talent and poor resource allocation is what got us in this position in the first place.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Villain The Foe said:

What's your point? Minkah was on a team that was "Not as bad" (proof in a second), yet Minkah didnt become an All-Pro until he got paired with other All-Pro's and Probowlers and a championship Coach.

Who cares about “All Pro” and Pro Bowls? All Pro is voted on by AP writers and the Pro Bowl is basically the Nickelodeon Kid’s Choice Awards for football players. Minkah is a better player because he can get put into man coverage on a plus receiver without his defensive coordinator having a stroke and the opposing QB gaining an erection that lasts for longer than four hours. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Who cares about “All Pro” and Pro Bowls? All Pro is voted on by AP writers and the Pro Bowl is basically the Nickelodeon Kid’s Choice Awards for football players. Minkah is a better player because he can get put into man coverage on a plus receiver without his defensive coordinator having a stroke and the opposing QB gaining an erection that lasts for longer than four hours. 

He's also blessed with playing behind the best pass rush in the league. Minkah is certainly better in some areas, but so is Jamal.

3 minutes ago, section314 said:

He's also blessed with playing behind the best pass rush in the league. Minkah is certainly better in some areas, but so is Jamal.

Jamal can do some things that Fitzpatrick can’t do, and vice versa. I think the things that Fitzpatrick does are more valuable than the things Jamal does.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jamal can do some things that Fitzpatrick can’t do, and vice versa. I think the things that Fitzpatrick does are more valuable than the things Jamal does.

And for further evidence of what happens to teams that overpay a SS, SEE:  Redskins, Washington.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

That's a fair point. Minkah is a great player. I remember back in the 2017 draft I loved Mike Williams, and was about as pissed when we passed on him as I was last year.Almost.? This will make you laugh, or feel even worse. I was looking at the Sporting news review of the 2017 1st round, and when they got to us, it began...." with Trubisky gone"  etc, etc. Swear to God. Could you imagine ?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Isn’t every draft pick a “what if” draft pick at some point? Wasn’t Jamal Adams a draft pick? Isn’t that how all players come into the league? Why tf are we scared of drafting more players to speed our rebuild up and protect Sam simply by giving up a high priced player with little to do with helping out QB???????!!!!??? Lol I just don’t get it. SS’s aren’t something you hold back from trading if the opportunity arises to benefit from. 

Yes but Jamal Adams is a proven NFL All-Pro superstar 1 less draft pick and position we need to worry about. 

Good teams don't trade players like Jamal Adams.

On 2/7/2020 at 5:30 PM, T0mShane said:

Explain what Jamal Adams has done in his career to merit HoF consideration 

Not just the swag. Dude is everywhere. Big stops, PDs, Ints, TDs, sacks, FF, tackles behind line. All time great if he maintains. 

34 minutes ago, Vader said:

Not just the swag. Dude is everywhere. Big stops, PDs, Ints, TDs, sacks, FF, tackles behind line. All time great if he maintains. 

All of those 0.66 INTs and 0.33 TDs per season.  Outstanding stuff.

He does tackle RBs well and hits QBs when unblocked though, I'll give you that.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Losmeister said:

another way to put it...

every single teams best player is better than our best player.....       about right.

I wouldn’t say “better,” I would say “more important.” 

Jamal’s problem isn’t that he’s not great, his problem is that he’s not that important. 

18 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Weird you used to love to talk about how Rex/Tanny couldn’t draft probowl talent and now you’re like, screw the probowl and the allpro teams guys!!!  Lol

• Upvote 1

Do people realize the “positional value” argument is bogus at this point?  It really more so applies to the draft.  Not to signing great players who are worth it and not going to bite you in the ass for paying.  For the 1000 time, 7 of the highest paid Safeites in the league play for perennial playoff teams.  You can pay a safety and still be great.  Fact.  The Super Bowl champs went and signed one in FA and then named their high priced safety MVP of the team.  The Steelers just traded a 1st round pick for one, who they will eventually have to pay and will pay big money.  Many of you are claiming the Jets would get the same for Jamal. 

None of that jives with these fairy tales of why safeties aren’t important and you don’t pay them.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Do people realize the “positional value” argument is bogus at this point?  It really more so applies to the draft.  Not to signing great players who are worth it and not going to bite you in the ass for paying.  For the 1000 time, 7 of the highest paid Safeites in the league play for perennial playoff teams.  You can pay a safety and still be great.  Fact.  The Super Bowl champs went and signed one in FA and then named their high priced safety MVP of the team.  The Steelers just traded a 1st round pick for one, who they will eventually have to pay and will pay big money.  Many of you are claiming the Jets would get the same for Jamal. 

None of that jives with these fairy tales of why safeties aren’t important and you don’t pay them.  

The only playoff team that fielded anything close to a traditional strong safety was the Vikings with Harrison Smith, who was drafted in the first round and had ten INTs his first three seasons. You couldn’t name the starting “strong safeties” from the Super Bowl without Google if I gave you a million dollars to do so