XFL Starts Play This Weekend

Warfish

10 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

The rosters are largely practice squad and 4th pre season game fodder. We all know how well the 4th pre season game is attended even with forced ticket sales. The concept behind this league borrows heavily on PT Barnum's MO. 

Guardian tickets are cheaper than Jets/Giants but the $30 tix are end zone. Corner to sidelines creep up to $60, then $138. Here's the kicker, parking is still $30. No way I am paying these prices for minor league football, so one customer lost here.

Meanwhile the rule changes are indeed intriguing. We'll watch for now out of curiosity but come season end, when baseball starts , the weather gets nice and everyone realizes that the quality of the league is wanting, interest will wane. 

The one saving grace that this league has is TV contracts so they do have a chance to play into a second year, but no football league has ever survived outside the NFL without merging into it. This is set up to fail. 

I wonder if the USFL would've had a chance to survive had it NOT tried (or at least not tried when it did).  Plenty of great NFLers came from the USFL.

12 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I don't expect it to succeed but I'll do my best to support it. If this league brings us more inventions like it did the first time around like the sky cam the. It should only enhance the league. Their special teams rules have the potential to save NFL special teams.

Ding ding ding.  This will almost certainly be the legacy of the new XFL (just like it was for the previous one).

15 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

All the failed leagues say not enough to support year round football.

USFL had top talent and folded quickly

Yet people keep trying.

Unlike, for example, Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, NASCAR or Soccer professional leagues.

So maybe there is interest, but the product or presentation just hasn't been right.

Steve Levy is a good football announcer.  He should be an NFL announcer as well.  There are so many crap NFL announcers so they should start replacing them where possible.

This reminds me of when Rich Eisen did an NFL game (I think a Saturday game) and was really good at it.

• Upvote 1

Feels like a college football game.  I think the announcers are helping make the game watchable.  I like that you can hear the HC's calls.  It might be a good little niche if the announcers explained how the calls work so the fans can get a sense of what it's like to be in the huddle.  That's def something we won't ever get in the NFL.

The kickoff thing is interesting as well.

8 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Steve Levy is a good football announcer.  He should be an NFL announcer as well.  There are so many crap NFL announcers so they should start replacing them where possible.

This reminds me of when Rich Eisen did an NFL game (I think a Saturday game) and was really good at it.

Would rather listen to Levy over Joe Buck or Jim Nantz any day.

DC QB Cardale Jones is a huge guy; thought physically some NFL team would find a way to make him a really good RPO QB. Did not happen with the Bills nor anyone else. 

Guardians LT Anthony Coyle is a friend's nephew. Went to Fordham,from SI, was active for a few games, but mostly was on PS's of Packers, Texans and Falcons.  

• Upvote 1

While I don't think it would make sense for the NFL, given how much strategy there is around it, but I have to admit I like the idea of the constantly running clock for XFL.  They know they've got to reel interest in early, and keeping the game moving helps with that, avoiding things dragging along and ultimately having quicker games.

4 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I've seen two kickoffs and I'm 100% ok with that being in the NFL.

2 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

The XFL may have saved the kickoff play. BTW, I’m enjoying this game much more than the AAFL from last year.

Yeah, a pretty good concept for figuring out a way to minimize the injury issues that come along with it, without nearly eliminating the play as the NFL has tried to do.