XFL Starts Play This Weekend

Warfish

36 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Anyone watching?  The fake crowd noise is a nice touch.

hadn't realized that ... when I flipped over to it, I was like ... "WOW ... for the amount of open seats, the fans who are there are pretty loud!"

Steve Levy is a good football announcer.  He should be an NFL announcer as well.  There are so many crap NFL announcers so they should start replacing them where possible.
This reminds me of when Rich Eisen did an NFL game (I think a Saturday game) and was really good at it.
Yeah Levy isnt bad....but you liked Eisen? He kept mixing up players names and was kind of boring/amateurish to me

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So.....like College, then?  But without the exploitation?

There are a lot of players in this game who were pretty good college players. Now players like Sammie Coates and Andre Williams just couldn't achieve success in the NFL. Players like Cam Phillips and Tre McBride I thought would do good things in the NFL as receivers.  

38 minutes ago, papz187 said:

Yeah Levy isnt bad....but you liked Eisen? He kept mixing up players names and was kind of boring/amateurish to me

I did like Eisen a lot actually.  I do kind of remember him messing up a certain name (I forget which) repeatedly but I think he eventually caught it and laughed at himself.  Those are small mistakes that can be fixed though.  If he cleans up the easy-to-fix stuff, I think he could be very good.  And I forget who else he announced with (I think 2 others) but I remember thinking they worked well together.

I root for the XFL to succeed
and not just because I am a degenerate gambler
the NFL desperately needs a minor league or at least a place where dudes can work on their craft if they aren't good right away 

checking the offensive line draft results. So many names.  None of them "awesome" but names nonetheless
for example both Koudandijo brothers should have jobs playing pro football.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_XFL_Draft#Phase_2:_Offensive_Line

former jets include 
 William Campbell remember him? G Michigan on the TB vipers (traded to Seattle)
Jon Toth on the DC Defenders 
other positions 
DE Kony Ealy - Hou Roughnecks
TE Bucky Hodges VA tech - LA Wildcats
LB Taiwan Jones Mich State - La Wildcats 
DE Victor Ochi Stony Brook - Ny Guardians 
DB Brandon Bryant Miss State - LA wildcats

im sure there's more... one player im interested is the QB of Houston Phillip Walker from Temple. He beat out Connor Cook a day ago

https://www.espn.com/xfl/story/_/id/28647513/roughnecks-name-pj-walker-starting-qb-connor-cook

Kony ealy.... thought he was the pass rusher we were missing :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m having fun with this. Like that they’re not afraid of showing spreads and O/Us either. If they could get rid of all the sideline interviews, this could be a very watchable product for 10 weeks after the SB. 

That said, there isn’t really much staying power for this league unless two things happen: (1) a bunch of top level college kids start skipping school and going directly to the XFL, and (2) the NFL starts signing some of these guys and proving that the XFL can become a great (paying) alternate to college football players who want to go pro.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I think it's a play off NYC Gargoyles. The"Jets" aren't a very interesting name either haha 

Are gargoyles a thing in nyc? Other than on say the Chrysler building? Regardless that would be a cool name 

I watched qtr 3 if the 5:00 game and currently watching qtr 4.

Hmmm...  Actually, not bad at all.  Some quick thoughts.

1. I *LOVE* the kickoffs.  NFL, are you watching ??? Safer and far more interesting/exciting/entertaining.  What a way to freshen-up a play that the NFL has taken the life out of.

2. I like that the Houston team has the little oil derrick on their helmet. One of the better NFL logo graphics (Oilers) that was left behind

3. I like that there are options for the extra point(s) but I don't like that they removed the kicking option.  Keep *foot* in football.  Perhaps a one point run/pass from the 5. A wo point run/pass from the 10, A three point run/pass from the 15 and an option for a one point kick from 40 yards out. 

4. A small sample size so far, but I see a lot more women on the sidelines working with players. I think this is great. Get women more involved in coaching and running the game.  NONE of us can play pro ball along with professional ball players in their prime, including Belichick and former pros that are old, fat and slow now, but just like any women out there, we can still understand and play they game at our physical level. That is all you need to do in order to coach the game at any level.  I get a kick out of fans that say "women cant coach because they cant play with those guys."  I'd reply to that. Neither can ANY of the men in the stadium and those watching at home.  None but a few can play pro ball and those few can only play for a few short years. So.., Any woman that played football in grade school, HC and or woman's league is just as equipped to know the game and coach the game as Bill Bellichick or a fat, drunk shirtless guy at the stadium spouting "man talk". 

4. I see that cameras and press go into the locker room at half time.  I understand that they want to make it entertaining for the fans by showing this, but it is not a good idea.  PLEASE let the players have privacy and a break from the cameras in their locker room.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I'm not normally a football viewer (just not much of a sports guy) but I watched both games today. As someone who isn't a big football fan I generally enjoyed the games. At times they lagged a bit and yeah there were a lot of what we could call "rookie mistakes" but for trying to get a whole new league off the ground to compete with the NFL I thought it went pretty good.

Both teams I picked to win lost (SEA Dragons & LA Wildcats). I really feel like the Dragons were the better team in that game but they just made a lot of mistakes that DC was able to capitalize on. And you can make the argument that a better team wouldn't make the mistakes in the first place and I see your point but what I mean is I think they had the better players and performance despite those mistakes. Regardless they lost and DC won so we'll see how it goes in the future. As for LA...what a mess. You had the QB, Kanoff arguing with the coach and blaming the players for ruining the play. I have to give it to the coach he gave Kanoff the rope to hang himself with. Kanoff wanted to run a play on 4th down while the game was still competitive instead of kicking and the coach let him do it and he did not deliver. When they took Kanoff out the other guy choked even worse. Apparently neither player is the starter QB though so maybe that made a big difference. I have to admit the Roughnecks just played a much better game so it didn't matter much what LA did. 

Overall I'd say if you like football it was an ok experience. You could get your fix here. I definitely like the 1, 2, 3 thing after a touchdown. Way more interesting than the 1 point kick or 2 point conversion. Looking forward to tomorrows games although I don't get ESPN so I might miss that one.

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Letting the viewers listen into the replay officials and refs is a great bonus. NFL should take note of this. Also like listening into the offensive coordinator call the play to the QB

I like the replay and the ref thing but the coordinators and coaches are all speaking gobeldy gook imo. Still cool though.

So far I watched probably 50% of the first game, and missed just about all of the 2nd game because I didn't realize it was on till it was too late.....but I enjoyed it overall.

I have a question....does anyone know how the do inside kicks with the way their kick offs are set up? I like how they kick off but it basically eliminates any chance of an onside kick, so just curious how they go about that?

So far I watched probably 50% of the first game, and missed just about all of the 2nd game because I didn't realize it was on till it was too late.....but I enjoyed it overall.

I have a question....does anyone know how the do inside kicks with the way their kick offs are set up? I like how they kick off but it basically eliminates any chance of an onside kick, so just curious how they go about that?

I looked it up and found this on another message board...

"A team will have to notify the officials before they attempt an onside kick. At that point it will look more like a traditional kickoff. The kicking team and return team will be 10 yards apart and the kicking team will get a 5-yard run up. Normal rules apply. Ball has to go 10 yards or touched by return team first before kickers can recover."

I would of liked to see them just try out the onside kick that the pro bowl implemented where the kicking time gets the ball on like their own 25 or so and has a 4th and 15 to convert, or then other team gets the ball where the play ends at....seems more probable for a conversion but we'll see how it goes.

I haven't seen much advertising here in the NYC area for tomorrow's game. I'm sure there was some but I haven't seen it. I saw on Stubhub etc the tickets are in the 30's.  On their website earlier this year they advertised a $15 temporarily sale price for (cheapest seats) for all league games but that seems to have expired.  I was also surprised that Vince McMahon I didn't see him in either telecast. He's a promoter and spending a lot of money on this league you'd expect him to be seen. Maybe I missed him. Attendance at game 1 today was about 17K, not sure about the second game but prob around the same. But they had great TV coverage. I doubt the XFL got very much money out of this. I thought the games were entertaining not bad quality of play. I hope they last I enjoyed it and will watch both games tomorrow. But I will watch anything that is even close to football. Minor league indoor football on Youtube, the New York Streets, etc . This was not bad. 

6 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

But they had great TV coverage. I doubt the XFL got very much money out of this. 

Apparently to get on the major networks Vince made a deal to let them keep all advertisement money as long as they carried the games and covered production costs. The details aren't officially known this is according to "someone familiar with the deal".

https://www.wsj.com/articles/xfl-strikes-tv-deals-with-fox-and-disney-11557146700

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

Gladiators wants $120 for RV parking and the parking lot only opens 3 hours before kickoff. 

I guess I won't be tailgating tomorrow.  :) Will watch on TV instead.

Gladiators?!  It's the Guardians.  And we play our biggest rival today, the Tampa Bay Vipers.  How can you skip a game against "TB"?