The Curious Case of Chuma Edoga

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He sucks. Not an NFL player. Single-handedly cost the Jets the Dolphins game last year.

I hope you'll admit by the end of next year what a player he's turned into. 

It's obvious the coaching staff and GM like him.....if they didn't why would they bench a healthy Shell for him when we were trotting out Luke Falk at QB. Under that scenario you would want stability, not newcomers.

He was put into a situation too fail last year, and he did fail for the most part but you can see the flashes. I think we'll be in for a nice surprise from Edoga moving forward because JD won't have it any other way.

Besides QB, I'd say OT is the hardest position for a rookie to play in the NFL. So many people forget how sh!tty Brick was as a rookie and he is beloved within this fanbase.

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Reminds me a lot of Vlad DuCasse.

5 hours ago, KRL said:

Good analysis!!!  People will just trash Edoga's whole year but he was very promising at
RT.  Go look at the DAL game and how he shut down Demarcus Lawrence.  When he switched
to LT he looked like a totally different (and poor) player.  He needs to get healthy
and continue to develop, if he's only going to be a RT I'm fine with that.  But he needs
to earn it, Douglas/Gase shouldn't just hand him the job like they did with Kalil

How do you call him Ducasse at one moment, and then minutes later like this post by  KRL? @joewilly12

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, thshadow said:

I agree with your post in general.  Though in what way was he considered a project coming out of USC?  What parts of his game did he need to develop?

Overall I didn't think he was much of a project coming out of USC. The biggest concern was his height and the fact most people thought he projected better as a LT despite playing the bulk of his snaps at RT in college.

Like every other lineman that gets drafted he needed to work on his strength, but that is a given. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Chuma Edoga was a rookie playing on a historically bad OL

I hear this a lot on this board,  can someone substantiate it?

I'm not even sure it was the worst oline this year, let alone "historically bad "

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Over the last 5 or more years the jets have had a lot of olineman that they 'loved' and hardly any of these guys actually ended being starters.  Guys like QVale, Braden etc.

C'mon man. Braden and Qvale are two never been nothings with no future and both were UDFA's. The only people who "loved" players like them were the biggest homers. Edoga is light years ahead of those two when it comes to prospects.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, CTM said:

I hear this a lot on this board,  can someone substantiate it?

I'm not even sure it was the worst oline this year, let alone "historically bad "

i know whatya mean...    wheres the data? 

sure, it was bad. so were like 5 or 6 other teams...   eg- Russ Wilson had more QB pressures than anybody

and 15 more sacks...   than Sam Darnold...    who is, remember, just a literal baby....

1 hour ago, RobR said:

C'mon man. Braden and Qvale are two never been nothings with no future and both were UDFA's. The only people who "loved" players like them were the biggest homers. Edoga is light years ahead of those two when it comes to prospects.

I think people are totally  misinterpreting what I am saying here.  I never said Egoga and those guys were similar prospects.  What I said is that the TEAM, not the fans on here said they loved those guys each year and each year they failed to improve and thus remained the jags they are with no thought of being starters.

As I said in my earlier post Edoga has the physical skills and has had his rookie year.  If he is going to be thought of as a starter let alone solid starter he needs to look a lot better next year, he has had a year of coaching and a full off season to work on things and prepare.

If he looks blah next year in camp or early in the season he goes from prospect to suspect.

First off, its extremely difficult to ask a player to play RT at the pro level as a rookie and then switch mid season to LT, its too much to ask almost any player, but especially for a non-elite prospect.  

Secondly, to think he is a guard makes no sense.  His technique and strength are his biggest issues and both of those would be exacerbated if he moved inside.  

If he works hard this offseason to get stronger, then he seems like he could be a solid RT especially in pass protection against speed rushers.  I also think he would look a lot better with someone better then winters next to him.

13 hours ago, RobR said:

I hope you'll admit by the end of next year what a player he's turned into. 

It's obvious the coaching staff and GM like him.....if they didn't why would they bench a healthy Shell for him when we were trotting out Luke Falk at QB. Under that scenario you would want stability, not newcomers.

He was put into a situation too fail last year, and he did fail for the most part but you can see the flashes. I think we'll be in for a nice surprise from Edoga moving forward because JD won't have it any other way.

Besides QB, I'd say OT is the hardest position for a rookie to play in the NFL. So many people forget how sh!tty Brick was as a rookie and he is beloved within this fanbase.

The same people willing to give up on Edoga after one season playing on a historically bad OL want to hand Anthony Castonzo a mega deal at 31.  After his first 2 seasons, he was graded out as one of the worst OLmen in the league giving up something like 20+ sacks and 50+ pressures.

2nd/3rd round offensive lineman usually don't look great year 1. He played well at times, poorly at other times. Pretty much like 90% of all offensive tackles taken in the 2nd/3rd round.

His PFF score was 49, which is bad, but some of the other OTs taken in the second and third round scored about the same. Cody Ford 52, Greg little 52 Bobby Evans 49, Trey pipkins 63 (played only 250 snaps).

That's actually the fear I have about everyone focusing on the draft this year to fix the oline. I think it's the way to go long term but let's not kid ourselves into thinking a bunch of rookie offensive lineman will walk in here and be very good year 1.

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Depends on his commitment level. 

Absolutely. He he’s the long arms and footwork of a tackle but not the strength and instincts of one. If he hits the gym hard, is disciplined in his diet and film study I think he could make a significant jump in performance. 

if I was told that the next 2-3 years could afford me the opportunity to achieve, in the long term, generational wealth or only enough to buy a nice house and a couple of cool cars, I push hard for the former!

21 hours ago, bitonti said:

Chuma Edoga is 22 years old and had the athletic gifts to make Gase and co. gift him 8 games to start as a clearly unprepared rookie 

maybe he's a "big guard" in Gase's system, but he's probably going to start somewhere along this line next season 

We're surprised that he flopped as a rookie while learning from guys like Shell, Winters, etc. on a ridiculously bad OLine where he was swapped back and forth between Left Tackle and Right Tackle?

The Jets need to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del on this guy and reset him.  Let him recover from his injury and bring him into Camp with a focus on one particular position, hopefully as a backup.  I don't know enough to say whether it's worse to ask a player to switch between Left and Right at the Tackle spots or to stay on one side (ex. Right) and try to be capable at both Guard and Tackle.  Perhaps it depends the player?

IMO he needs development and he needs to not be forced onto the field in unfamiliar positions and asked to do too much.  I think his upside (his best potential) is becoming an average starter at a less critical position than LT for a right-handed QB.

He had a bad rookie year but I think the overly negative impressions of him were formed during that horrific stretch where he was starting at LT. Not only was he totally hopeless there, without Beachum the entire offensive line was putrid so it stood out more.

He was more "generally bad" at RT.

With time and better players around him could he be better? Maybe. He's young. I wouldn't pencil him in at RT just yet though.

21 hours ago, King P said:

Andrew Thomas
Brandon Scherff
Creed Humphrey
Alex Lewis
Jack Conklin

That would be an almost impossible lineup to acquire this offseason.  And Creed Humphrey is going back to school, correct?  He's not even in the Draft as far as I know.

I think the Jets could get either Scherff or Conklin (not both), and they should make a push for a guy like Graham Glasgow (OG from Detroit).  We also expect the Jets to Draft an OT in the first 2 rounds, perhaps Thomas but equally possible that it would be someone like Becton, Wirfs, Josh Jones, etc.  I think the realistic best scenario for the Jets is replacing 3 starters but needing to count on 2 coming back....those two would likely come from a group of Alex Lewis, Kelvin Beachum, Jonathan Harrison and Chuma Edoga.

Becton, Scherff, Harrison, Glasgow, Edoga

Jones, Scherff, Glasgow (he can play C), Lewis, Edoga

Beachum, Scherff, Harrison, Glasgow, Wirfs

There are probably a lot of ways this could play out.

18 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

That would be an almost impossible lineup to acquire this offseason.  And Creed Humphrey is going back to school, correct?  He's not even in the Draft as far as I know.

I think the Jets could get either Scherff or Conklin (not both), and they should make a push for a guy like Graham Glasgow (OG from Detroit).  We also expect the Jets to Draft an OT in the first 2 rounds, perhaps Thomas but equally possible that it would someone like Becton, Wirfs, Josh Jones, etc.  I think the realistic best scenario for the Jets is replacing 3 starters but needing to count on 2 coming back....those two would likely come from a group of Alex Lewis, Kelvin Beachum, Jonathan Harrison and Chuma Edoga.

Becton, Scherff, Harrison, Glasgow, Edoga

Jones, Scherff, Glasgow (he can play C), Lewis, Edoga

Beachum, Scherff, Harrison, Glasgow, Wirfs

There are probably a lot of ways this could play out.

I agree, Glasgow & Conklin I think are the targets & here's why, Glasgow can play Center & guard. I also think they sign Beachum to a 1 year deal, when he came back from injury the Oline settled down. There was way too much turnover early & a QB that wouldn't start in the XFL. 

Resigning Beachum to hold the fort for a year gives JD complete versatility with that #11 pick depending on how the draft falls. I also think you'll see a 2nd tier veteran WR here like Allison or Agholor because we could see 2 WRs taken in this draft & it takes some time to learn an NFL playbook.

We could see a Jeudy or Ceedee Lamb at 11 & maybe a Jefferson or Pittman at 3/4. Any combination of Jeudy or Lamb with Jefferson or Pittman would be very exciting.