The Curious Case of Chuma Edoga

Chuma Edoga was a rookie playing on a historically bad OL.  To expect him to shine when everyone else around him was absolutely atrocious is asking a lot for a 3rd round pick.  My assumption is that if he played with actual professional offensive lineman around him, he probably would have played a little better and certainly would have never been asked to play LT.  Good news is, he's 22 years old and players get better with time and experience and it helps when there is actually someone worth a sh*t playing next to you. 

Right.
The switch to LT was hard on him. Add to it that there was blood in the water that the opposing teams were excited about. It was mayhem!

He had most here pretty up beat his first two games at RT. He looked like a rookie but like a rookie who could do the job.
I never liked the pick and even though I was screaming for OL, he was not the guy I would have taken. But he’s a 22 yr old kid with NFL starting experience who played multiple positions in college.
He’s got plenty of potential and I hope he can simmer for a year or two without having to start as an emergency for a while. That will do him well and he can be developed.

I’m really looking forward to the draft and FA to see how we attack the OL in particular. Edoga absolutely has a place here and I think he’ll be a solid part of our future on the OL.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On 2/7/2020 at 7:41 PM, RobR said:

I hope you'll admit by the end of next year what a player he's turned into. 

It's obvious the coaching staff and GM like him.....if they didn't why would they bench a healthy Shell for him when we were trotting out Luke Falk at QB. Under that scenario you would want stability, not newcomers.

He was put into a situation too fail last year, and he did fail for the most part but you can see the flashes. I think we'll be in for a nice surprise from Edoga moving forward because JD won't have it any other way.

Besides QB, I'd say OT is the hardest position for a rookie to play in the NFL. So many people forget how sh!tty Brick was as a rookie and he is beloved within this fanbase.

My assessment of Edoga was that he showed some athleticism, but he had some games where he didn’t want to compete. Like, he was getting beat and he  ended up getting bullied all over the field. Obviously, I hope he pulls it together so we can have a cheap offensive lineman with talent, but I hope they’re not counting on him to play a snap next season. 

30 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

My assessment of Edoga was that he showed some athleticism, but he had some games where he didn’t want to compete. Like, he was getting beat and he  ended up getting bullied all over the field. Obviously, I hope he pulls it together so we can have a cheap offensive lineman with talent, but I hope they’re not counting on him to play a snap next season. 

Fair statement but what I said has merit. This kid was jerked all over the place as a late 3rd round rookie and was forced to play one of the hardest positions in the NFL, not by choice but by necessity. After Beachum got injured I mentioned that Edoga would get the start at LT with Shell going back to RT and that is exactly what happened.

As you know I loved him coming out, so I'm sticking to my guns but this coaching staff and GM definitely believe in him and it shows in tangible ways, not wordspeak. Next year will be all that I will need too see. I think he ends up playing great and becomes a building block of the line. If he fails I will have no problem admitting it and taking one on the chin. He already has one strike against him just for the fact Mac drafted him.

• Upvote 1

On 2/7/2020 at 11:05 AM, HawkeyeJet said:

First and foremost, Edoga's year overall was poor.  Bordering on downright awful.  The optics from the overall season he put together were discouraging.

That said, is it enough to abandon all hope that he can still develop into a quality starter? 

Abandon and say he's terrible or go all in and throw tomatoes at anyone that doesn't think he's amazing. That's pretty much how internet football words work.

• Upvote 2

On 2/7/2020 at 3:53 PM, #27TheDominator said:

I know everybody saw them as plug and play, but Ferguson and Mangold were on their rookie deals through 2009.  In 2010 they both signed very large extensions.  Perhaps you guys will remember that we couldn't keep much of our talent - we had to cut Faneca straight off, couldn't afford Holmes and Edwards, had to dump Jones and replace him with Tomlinson and then not replace Tomlinson, couldn't afford to pay a decent replacement for Woody.  Those big contracts contributed to that problem, even though around here everybody just puts the blame 100% on Revis with laser focus.

Probably because neither held out once, never mind a second time only halfway through the contract held out for, nor faked injuries, showed up out of shape, or substantially under-performed any of their contracts, all things Mevis was guilty of in his time here.

In the end though, the overall concept is a bit ridiculous, as no single one of them (including Revis) were to blame for the Jets' problem, but rather a combination of those deals and a whole lot of other issues.  After all, a competent NFL team might actually show themselves capable of replacing even a player or two of those you mentioned with draft picks at some point over the course of a decade.

• Upvote 1

Hmm. Ok, here goes. Chuma Edoga is somewhat on the "smallish' side for an OT. He also lacks functional strength both on the field and as demonstrated at the combine.  I hear the "flashes great technique" argument on occasion, but I think every O Lineman flashes "good technique ", especially if they've played O line on the Collegiate level. But here's my bottom line on him, he will always be shorter than the mean at the position, and he will not ever reach the mass/power output that an NFL RT is expected to have. He is smaller,  lacks strength, and has less mass than the average model of an NFL RT, so he will never be good at the Point of Attack. 

But his lack of length will prevent him from ever being more than "adequate" as a Pass protector at LT, and even there his lack of mass will cause POA problems in the run game.

D'Brick was considered "smallish" at LT, and dude was 6'6 300, but had excellent strength,  length, and ELITE footwork and speed. But even HE had issues at POA and was never a great run blocker. Edoga has almost none of those traits. 

The bottom line is that Mac drafted a guy from a Pac-12 team who looked better than he really is because defenses in the Pac-12 are generally absolute, unmitigated trash. He saw a guy who could pass protect well against players who were UDFA level players, thought his marginal size was enough to throw a pick at, and just mindlessly drafted him in the Third Round. LOL. 

If Chuma Edoga sticks around as more than Qvale level scrub backup, I will be shocked. Its not his fault hes short and weak but still got overdrafted. That's Macs fault. I wish him no I'll will, he just isn't an NFL O-Lineman. 

And regardless of what the FO is telling beat writers, they arent going to trash a guy on the roster. Just like how they told us how much they liked Harrison (before they signed Khalil to replace him), and how Polite was a player being developed (up until they sh*tcanned him). 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Hmm. Ok, here goes. Chuma Edoga is somewhat on the "smallish' side for an OT. He also lacks functional strength both on the field and as demonstrated at the combine.  I hear the "flashes great technique" argument on occasion, but I think every O Lineman flashes "good technique ", especially if they've played O line on the Collegiate level. But here's my bottom line on him, he will always be shorter than the mean at the position, and he will not ever reach the mass/power output that an NFL RT is expected to have. He is smaller,  lacks strength, and has less mass than the average model of an NFL RT, so he will never be good at the Point of Attack. 

But his lack of length will prevent him from ever being more than "adequate" as a Pass protector at LT, and even there his lack of mass will cause POA problems in the run game.

D'Brick was considered "smallish" at LT, and dude was 6'6 300, but had excellent strength,  length, and ELITE footwork and speed. But even HE had issues at POA and was never a great run blocker. Edoga has almost none of those traits. 

The bottom line is that Mac drafted a guy from a Pac-12 team who looked better than he really is because defenses in the Pac-12 are generally absolute, unmitigated trash. He saw a guy who could pass protect well against players who were UDFA level players, thought his marginal size was enough to throw a pick at, and just mindlessly drafted him in the Third Round. LOL. 

If Chuma Edoga sticks around as more than Qvale level scrub backup, I will be shocked. Its not his fault hes short and weak but still got overdrafted. That's Macs fault. I wish him no I'll will, he just isn't an NFL O-Lineman. 

And regardless of what the FO is telling beat writers, they arent going to trash a guy on the roster. Just like how they told us how much they liked Harrison (before they signed Khalil to replace him), and how Polite was a player being developed (up until they sh*tcanned him). 

What if I told you that Edoga is not only taller than Damien Woody but his arms are almost 2" longer. You know......facts.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, RobR said:

What if I told you that Edoga is not only taller than Damien Woody but his arms are almost 2" longer. You know......facts.  

Ok, so now let's have him gain 40 usable pounds of muscle and mass, then maybe we have something. Oh, and Damien Woody played C/OG/OT at relatively high levels from the day he was drafted (Pro Bowl Alt. a couple of times). 

You know, facts. 

LOL. Bro... Let it go. You were wrong about the guy. So was Mac. No big deal. 

2 hours ago, RobR said:

Oh, Minut Bol was taller than both, and his arms are almost 22" longer. Maybe we should get a guy like him at the poa....

?

19 hours ago, RobR said:

Fair statement but what I said has merit. This kid was jerked all over the place as a late 3rd round rookie and was forced to play one of the hardest positions in the NFL, not by choice but by necessity. After Beachum got injured I mentioned that Edoga would get the start at LT with Shell going back to RT and that is exactly what happened.

As you know I loved him coming out, so I'm sticking to my guns but this coaching staff and GM definitely believe in him and it shows in tangible ways, not wordspeak. Next year will be all that I will need too see. I think he ends up playing great and becomes a building block of the line. If he fails I will have no problem admitting it and taking one on the chin. He already has one strike against him just for the fact Mac drafted him.

Any chance they could move him inside to G? For example, if the Jets sign Conklin and draft, say, Thomas at 11, I'd like the option of being able to move Chuma inside. His athleticism may be useful considering how the Jets run a zone blocking scheme. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Ok, so now let's have him gain 40 usable pounds of muscle and mass, then maybe we have something. Oh, and Damien Woody played C/OG/OT at relatively high levels from the day he was drafted (Pro Bowl Alt. a couple of times). 

You know, facts. 

LOL. Bro... Let it go. You were wrong about the guy. So was Mac. No big deal. 

I gave you facts that show you someone his height, and even shorter can be excellent at the OT position. You do what you want with those facts.

If he ends up busting it's not going to be because he's too short. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, maury77 said:

Any chance they could move him inside to G? For example, if the Jets sign Conklin and draft, say, Thomas at 11, I'd like the option of being able to move Chuma inside. His athleticism may be useful considering how the Jets run a zone blocking scheme. 

I like him better as a Tackle, although I see no reason why he can't kick inside.

• Upvote 1

On 2/7/2020 at 2:23 PM, T0mShane said:

He sucks. Not an NFL player. Single-handedly cost the Jets the Dolphins game last year.

really ....dont you think the poor game plan by the coach has anything to do with that?, so blame a rookie with a bad line for playing badly. I think he has future in the inside

On 2/8/2020 at 5:31 PM, T0mShane said:

Will you be factoring this assessment into future mock drafts?

5 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Will you be factoring this assessment into future mock drafts?

My favorite time of year isn’t Christmas, it’s not my birthday, it’s not the super bowl., it’s not even celebrating the anniversary of when the Olsen Twins turned 18. No. It’s the day each year when I tag you in my exceedingly prescient Mock Draft v. 5.2.5. Just you wait, pally

Don't write off Edoga after just one year. He definitely needs to get stronger and tougher, and the Jets should definitely sign Conklin for RT if they can. 

Regardless, if Edoga has a good offseason and camp, he can either start at RT or be developed as a backup to Conklin and the new #1 pick LT.  Maybe as a backup RG/RT.