Dak wants more than 33 mill a season

23 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm a bit confused as to why it's bad for a professional athlete to ask for as much money as possible when negotiating for a new contract.

Because stupid teams pay it and then that 'sets the market' and the next guy feels he needs to be the highest paid at that position.  See the impending Jamal Adams saga.

Once Joe Flacco asked for and got a huge deal every schmuck QB asks for and then gets one.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Can you imagine some of these QBs that walk into the league with a top 3 oline have a dominant rb and go and get Wr weapons being forced to play on a team like the Jets?

If Prescott walked into the exact same situation as Darnold, all the same dubious “NFL” players on his roster, it would be interesting as to whether he’d even be offered ANY kind of a 2nd contract much less 10’s of millions per year.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

I’d don’t resign Dak if Jerry, I go get me another veteran qb. Dak is not close to a top 10 QB. Without that line and zeke....mediocre.  I could see Brady winning there. I’m hoping this gets interesting.  Although if Dallas franchises Dak the Jets could go after amari Cooper don’t think they can keep both of them. 

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Because stupid teams pay it and then that 'sets the market' and the next guy feels he needs to be the highest paid at that position.  See the impending Jamal Adams saga.

Once Joe Flacco asked for and got a huge deal every schmuck QB asks for and then gets one.

Thats how real life works in an open market.

47 minutes ago, johnnyjet said:

I’d don’t resign Dak if Jerry, I go get me another veteran qb. Dak is not close to a top 10 QB. Without that line and zeke....mediocre.  I could see Brady winning there. I’m hoping this gets interesting.  Although if Dallas franchises Dak the Jets could go after amari Cooper don’t think they can keep both of them. 

So how does Jerry Jones approach this huge problem of a slightly above average QB wanting Russell Wilson money? 

Think about this, you right now have a top 3 Oline, one of the best RBs in the league, a top CB, a top WR, a top pass rusher, but, you really weren't close to a Super Bowl. 

Knowing this, how would giving Dak Prescott a zillion dollars get you closer to your ultimate goal of winning a Super Bowl? It won't, because once that contract is signed they'll have a talent drop as each & everyone of those earlier linchpins move on in free agency. 

This really is a pivotal moment in Dallas Cowboy history. WWBB do? While a lot of us discuss Belichicks coaching acumen, it's been his roster manipulation & the fact that Tom Brady has given a hometown discount for 15 years that has kept the money on top. But Belichick has been a master at not giving in to 2nd large ridiculous contracts. Guys like Devin McCourty who he could secure with decent contracts are retained.

FACT: PAYING DAK PRESCOTT 30 MILLION WILL TAKE THEM OUT OF SUPER BOWL CONTENTION.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Who?

Goff hasnt messed up anything, think youre confusing him with someone else.  Wilson?

Wilson is the $35 mil per guy.

Then its Rodgers at $30 something per, Ryan and Cousins.

Jared Goff, of the Rams.   Sorry, 33.5 per year, with 110 guaranteed. 

Dak is better than Goff, so he wants more money than Goff.   Goff is not that great, Dak completed 65% of his passes for 4900 yards and a 30-11 TD to int ratio, at the age of 26.  I don't think he is worth 35 per year, but that is where he is getting the number from.

Goff.JPG

8 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I'm a bit confused as to why it's bad for a professional athlete to ask for as much money as possible when negotiating for a new contract.

It's fine.   He can ask for whatever he wants, it's a free market, and he has been massively underpaid for the last 4 years on his rookie contract, and has never said a word publicly.

What the NFL is doing is killing the mid market deals.   You have a few players making huge contracts, which means you need a lot of player making closer to the league minimum. 

• Upvote 1

Maybe they should have stuck with romo. They would have equally missed the playoffs last year and he wouldn't have demanded nearly that much money. If you pay your qb that much and he is not an absolute game changer you don't leave enough money to spread around everywhere else and the team falls apart around them. One of the reasons the pats have been so successful is that they pay Brady under the table so that he does not have to take up half their cap space and they can afford to sign other guys.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Dak is better than Goff, so he wants more money than Goff.   Goff is not that great, Dak completed 65% of his passes for 4900 yards and a 30-11 TD to int ratio, at the age of 26.  I don't think he is worth 35 per year, but that is where he is getting the number from.

Goff.JPG

Here’s what will hurt Dak in his negotiations.  Unless a new CBA is reached, the structure of Dak’s deal could be very different.  Currently you can not have more than a 30% increase in your base salary year over year.  This makes it very tricky in accounting for bonus and guaranteed money.  Look at Goff’s contract structure.  There is no way to do a deal like that right now.  

AF3BC47E-00F2-4C7F-B418-EB426CF27E29.jpeg

Look at how the base salary varies year to year and how low of a base there was in year 1.  That deal can’t be written right now.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

So how does Jerry Jones approach this huge problem of a slightly above average QB wanting Russell Wilson money? 

Think about this, you right now have a top 3 Oline, one of the best RBs in the league, a top CB, a top WR, a top pass rusher, but, you really weren't close to a Super Bowl. 

Knowing this, how would giving Dak Prescott a zillion dollars get you closer to your ultimate goal of winning a Super Bowl? It won't, because once that contract is signed they'll have a talent drop as each & everyone of those earlier linchpins move on in free agency. 

This really is a pivotal moment in Dallas Cowboy history. WWBB do? While a lot of us discuss Belichicks coaching acumen, it's been his roster manipulation & the fact that Tom Brady has given a hometown discount for 15 years that has kept the money on top. But Belichick has been a master at not giving in to 2nd large ridiculous contracts. Guys like Devin McCourty who he could secure with decent contracts are retained.

FACT: PAYING DAK PRESCOTT 30 MILLION WILL TAKE THEM OUT OF SUPER BOWL CONTENTION.  

Cowboys huge amount of talent shows Jerry Jones the GM has improved (or more truthfully finally let others have more say in the drafting process).

Dak is not an average QB.    4900 yards, almost 3-1 TD to int ratio is better than average.

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

That's how the free market works..  it's the worst system, except for all the other ones.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Cowboys huge amount of talent shows Jerry Jones the GM has improved (or more truthfully finally let others have more say in the drafting process).

Dak is not an average QB.    4900 yards, almost 3-1 TD to int ratio is better than average.

I'd love to see what Sam Darnold could do behind that Oline & weapons. 

• Upvote 2

Dak has been one of the statistically best QB's in the league and is playing on a 4th round contract, $2.7m career earnings! 

In his rookie year (eating cheeseburgers) QW made almost 3X what Dak made in four years as the starting QB of the Cowboys.  They owe him something and he would easily get $33m on the open market (see Cousins), so while I understand that Jones may not want to pay him that much, I  also understand and agree that Dak should hold out, he has done his part and should not risk injury on a 1 year franchise deal 

this could get very interesting

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Dak has been one of the statistically best QB's in the league and is playing on a 4th round contract, $2.7m career earnings! 

In his rookie year (eating cheeseburgers) QW made almost 3X what Dak made in four years as the starting QB of the Cowboys.  They owe him something and he would easily get $33m on the open market (see Cousins), so while I understand that Jones may not want to pay him that much, I  also understand and agree that Dak should hold out, he has done his part and should not risk injury on a 1 year franchise deal 

this could get very interesting

That's just the way it is. If he held out I would just cut him & see if Brady wants to play on a 1 or 2 year deal. It's not how much per year, it's HOW MANY YEARS your stuck not being able to pay other guys coming off contracts. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, chirorob said:

Goff getting 35 a year messed up the market. 

Dak is much better than Goff, just like the rams messed up with Gurley's contract.

They’re both marginally good QBs who’ve had elite talent around them w/out a championship. Neither is elite and neither worth anything close to that kind of money imo. I’d honestly take Darnold as more of a still unknown w more upside over either of them tbh and fwiw. 

12 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I think they are going to feel pressure to make him happy and cave.

He absolutely is not worth that, but I predict he will get a number close to what he wants.

Yep.  I don't think Jerry has the balls to let Dak walk.  

Then again, this is the best year for high-end veteran QB free agents in a long time.  Rivers, Brady, Cam, possibly Tannehill, etc.  There are options out there. 

Jerry won't wont to start over again with a rookie QB at his age but he'd definitely bring in one of these vets if things get out of hand with Dak negotiations.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, johnnyjet said:

I don’t see Prescott hitting many of these throws made by Darnold.  Unfortunate that one is unable to see what Darnold could have done his first 2 years playing on the teams Prescott was gifted....

2 hours ago, chirorob said:

Goff.JPG

Its timing, supply and demand, not whos better unfortunately. 

If the Cowboys made an offer a while ago he would have been signed for less.  Now, Dak has the hammer.  Hes finished a season leading the NFLs top offense, was the lead to that offense.  

• Upvote 1

I don’t see Prescott hitting many of these throws made by Darnold.  Unfortunate that one is unable to see what Darnold could have done his first 2 years playing on the teams Prescott was gifted....

I like Sam .. but his mechanics are near sh*t. He must improve this year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Thumb Down 1

21 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

You think Cam Newton is going to take a pay cut?  The guy has one foot in retirement already.  

Cam Newton isn’t some All Pro caliber QB anymore. He had a good rookie year and a solid year when he reached the SB. He’s been barely above average besides that. 

Cowboys would be crazy to even give the rumored 33 mil. He’s not Russell. I’d do 25 mil and add in several performance related incentives to reach 30 mil and then add some unlikely to attain incentives to reach 35-38mil per (say 5k yards and 50 TDs in a SB winning season). Then he’d truly deserve it. But besides that, Cowboys need to limit him to about 26 plus easy to attain performance incentives. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, CurtMart said:

Cam Newton isn’t some All Pro caliber QB anymore. He had a good rookie year and a solid year when he reached the SB. He’s been barely above average besides that. 

Yes but that doesn't mean he'll accept a steep pay decrease.  He'll want at least top 20 QB money on a per year basis, and if he doesn't get it, might as well retire.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yep.  I don't think Jerry has the balls to let Dak walk.  

Then again, this is the best year for high-end veteran QB free agents in a long time.  Rivers, Brady, Cam, possibly Tannehill, etc.  There are options out there. 

Jerry won't wont to start over again with a rookie QB at his age but he'd definitely bring in one of these vets if things get out of hand with Dak negotiations.  

Jones signing Brady for SB or bust year makes a lot of sense. It's also stupid as Dak is better than Brady today, but could still see him doing it 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Yes the players are clearly the bad guys here.

• Upvote 1