Perspective on Lions' OG Graham Glasgow, a potential Free Agent

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001105831/article/graham-glasgow-not-expecting-to-resign-with-detroit

Graham Glasgow not expecting to re-sign with Detroit

Print
  • 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: March 11, 2020 at 08:13 a.m.
  • Updated: March 11, 2020 at 08:35 a.m.

Detroit Lions offensive lineman Graham Glasgow has spent his entire college and professional football career playing in the state of Michigan.

The soon-to-be free agent, however, feels his time playing in the Mitten is coming to an end.

"I'm bummed that I'm not able to stay cause I love Michigan and I love the Detroit area, Ann Arbor," Glasgow told Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press this week. "I've been here for almost about a decade now and it's awesome and I really, really like the guys in the locker room and I think we have a good team and a good group of guys. So in that regard, it sucks. But you don't play football forever, so I think that being able to go somewhere else and make some money is an exciting thing."

The University of Michigan product was selected in the third round of the 2016 draft by the Lions. Since then, he's become a versatile, consistent blocker despite shuffling around the line.

Glasgow started 11 games as a rookie playing both center and left guard. He continued to bounce back and forth in 16 starts in his second season. In 2018, he played center full-time and allowed just one sack. Last season, the Lions needed Glasgow to slide over to right guard. He did so with aplomb, allowing zero sacks, per Pro Football Focus.

The 27-year-old knows his versatility could get him paid on the open market.

"That's something that worked out well for me," Glasgow said. "I can play both (guard and center), I can play both well, so that's just something that works out to where it's not like I want to play one more than the other. I think that it just comes down to seeing who wants me to play where for what, at what position, and I think that that's just everything is going to come into account that way."

It's odd that the Lions have shown subtle disinterest towards Glasgow -- at least to the point where the player is comfortable about discussing the idea of moving on. Good teams don't let solid home-grown talent walk without a fight.

In a league ever in need of offensive line help, Glasgow knows this offseason is his best bet to get paid. The versatile O-lineman is one of the top free-agent blockers available. With a dearth of top-shelf interior linemen in the 2020 NFL Draft, it could be a position that teams pay a premium in free agency to fill.

• Upvote 1

On 2/8/2020 at 5:38 PM, Jetster said:

Let Wnters walk & give this guy 2 mill more? Sign me up, it would be a great way to start free agency. Glasgow, Conklin & Ngokeou. 

Give Ngokeou the money some are saying should go to Jenkins. Our pass rush was abysmal & Jenkins was one of the reasons, he gets stonewalled way too much. 

Even if you give the high side of the money some are saying should go to Jenkins, you will probably be $14M per year short.  Ngakoue is looking for $22M per.

• Upvote 1

On 2/8/2020 at 12:41 PM, freestater said:

The Lions think that rotating players on o-line is a good strategy?

That's dumb. 

Maybe, but it's a growing trend in the NFL. The Bills did it last season too. I think the idea is that you keep them fresh like defensive line where you can get more from an average player with fresh legs than you can get from a great one who's been playing 3 downs the whole game.

On 2/8/2020 at 1:21 PM, section314 said:

Sounds like this player is the Lion's version of Brian Winters.

I mean, except Winters was constantly hurt, played hurt and missed a lot more games. And even when healthy he was just not as good as Glasgow. And unlike Glasgow, the Jets actually resigned Winters after drafting him. 

The comparison is not apt if you ask me.  

Just now, rangerous said:

this guy glasgow seems like a decent player.  if he checks out then they should make an offer.  any decent player they get in free agency is one less they need to get in the draft.

Sign Thuney or this guy and have a combo of Lewis/Compton at RG

6 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Sign Thuney or this guy and have a combo of Lewis/Compton at RG

not so sold on thuney.  imo it's much easier pass blocking for a qb that gets rid of the ball quickly.  i do agree with getting 2 or so free agents on board to start and then using the draft to fill things out.  the level of player they get in free agency should determine whether they use thier 11 pick on oline or wr or somewhere else.

23 minutes ago, rangerous said:

not so sold on thuney.  imo it's much easier pass blocking for a qb that gets rid of the ball quickly.  i do agree with getting 2 or so free agents on board to start and then using the draft to fill things out.  the level of player they get in free agency should determine whether they use thier 11 pick on oline or wr or somewhere else.

I hear ya regarding Brady and Scarnechua and the fact that refs don’t call holding on the patriots ever

But we need a Left Guard

On 2/9/2020 at 12:58 PM, varjet said:

If an NFL team drafted perfectly, at any given time they would have 28 drafted players under contract, plus maybe 4 more first round picks.    The actual number is much lower.  I believe the Jets have the lowest number (or close to it) of draft picks on their roster.  

For the rest, they use UDFAs, other team's drafted players that were cut and players they have to pay for.   The last one is what Glasgow should be.

The amount to be paid for Glasgow this year would about equivalent to what the Jets paid Winters four years ago.  

The Jets have many holes and some cap space.  I have no doubt that the Jets could probably a 3rd or 4th round draft pick who could play guard.  They will need to use a 2nd round pick for a center.   That draft pick may need an adjustment period.  The Jets will basically need to "overpay" to fill holes on the roster and then hope to draft well.  

My gut tells me that the right answer is to pay Glasgow what is necessary to sign him, have him also compete at Center, and use the draft picks this year for WR, CB, LB, EDGE, S, RB.  I think that Glasgow is more certain to fill the need than a draft pick, and Darnold is too important.  Let the defense experiment with draft picks.  

Oversign OL this year and FA, draft other positions this year and then focus on drafting the OL heavy going forward.  As to this year, I don't know.  

So your plan is to not draft OL in the year that is historically deep at OL but instead mostly focus on defense.....again.  It is just amazing to me how continuously drafting defense with the top picks and the majority of the picks seems to be burnt into the core of so many Jets fans. No position is ore important to the Jets than OL and second to that is OL followed by receiver. You could make a solid argument that by continuously following the draft philosophy you just laid out that the Jets are so imbalanced between the two sides that every pick should be on offense.

We should sign Glasgow, draft OL high probably 2 of 3 top picks and then draft more OL. Nothing is more important than protecting Sam and right now we dont have enough players even signed to field an OL

• Upvote 1

On 2/10/2020 at 6:23 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Conklin won't be a Jet.  People need to stop assuming this.  Even if the Titans don't bring him back he'll have lots of options.

Good. He is overrated, not that great at pass blocking, will command a fortune and is a huge injury risk. He is a hard pass for me, way way too much risk and opportunity cost with him.

50 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Sign either him or Thuney

I like his flexibility.  Signing a LT like Vaitai or bringing Beachum back, coupled with someone like Glasgow and bringing Alex Lewis back at least gets the Jets to mediocre.  Making a bigger move at RT like Conklin would have them on great footing going into the Draft.

I wouldn't mind a middle of LG Alex Lewis - C Harrison - RG Glasgow while heading into a Draft where we target a Center or OG in the early/middle rounds.  Tackle is a separate question but having Beachum signed and having added a RT (whether its Conklin or someone else) will allow the Jets to truly go BOPATM (Best Offensive Player Available) at #11 with either Tackle or WR.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I like his flexibility.  Signing a LT like Vaitai or bringing Beachum back, coupled with someone like Glasgow and bringing Alex Lewis back at least gets the Jets to mediocre.  Making a bigger move at RT like Conklin would have them on great footing going into the Draft.

I wouldn't mind a middle of LG Alex Lewis - C Harrison - RG Glasgow while heading into a Draft where we target a Center or OG in the early/middle rounds.  Tackle is a separate question but having Beachum signed and having added a RT (whether its Conklin or someone else) will allow the Jets to truly go BOPATM (Best Offensive Player Available) at #11 with either Tackle or WR.

I’m all for this realistic option. Thuney will cost us 18 mil. He is a durable all pro but I like Glasgow at 12 mil.

Sign Vaitai, Alex Lewis, and instead of Beechum I’d go Jason Peters on a 1 year deal while our rookie tackle starts at RT. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

i didn't like replacing harrison with kalil but he is still not an average center.  i agree they need to grab a center in the draft unless a decent free agent breaks free.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’m all for this realistic option. Thuney will cost us 18 mil. He is a durable all pro but I like Glasgow at 12 mil.

Sign Vaitai, Alex Lewis, and instead of Beechum I’d go Jason Peters on a 1 year deal while our rookie tackle starts at RT. 

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i didn't like replacing harrison with kalil but he is still not an average center.  i agree they need to grab a center in the draft unless a decent free agent breaks free.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I really believe the Jets MUST draft a future LT in this draft. As tempting as Jeudy or Lamb may be at 11, they CANNOT pass on Wills, Thomas or Wirfs. Becton, sure, if they he is too much of a risk. But not one of the top 3, all of whom I believe can play LT at the next level. If all 3 are gone and the Jets hate Becton (personally I don't mind him one bit, he's just raw), trade down and take Jones or Cleveland or whatever LT you like. Just take care of that position. Its critical. In Rd. 2 we can address WR and there should be a ton of great prospects to choose from. 

*Sidenote: I think people are underestimating Harrison. He is a functional starter at C and played just as well if not better than Lewis last season. He should have been the starter all year over Kalil. Assuming Winters gets cut. C is the ONLY position of strength on the Jets O-line. Edoga is a second year player who was very shaky last year and is coming off injury. Harrison can actually start another year while a developmental rookie backs him up.  

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I really believe the Jets MUST draft a future LT in this draft. As tempting as Jeudy or Lamb may be at 11, they CANNOT pass on Wills, Thomas or Wirfs. Becton, sure, if they he is too much of a risk. But not one of the top 3, all of whom I believe can play LT at the next level. If all 3 are gone and the Jets hate Becton (personally I don't mind him one bit, he's just raw), trade down and take Jones or Cleveland or whatever LT you like. Just take care of that position. Its critical. In Rd. 2 we can address WR and there should be a ton of great prospects to choose from. 

*Sidenote: I think people are underestimating Harrison. He is a functional starter at C and played just as well if not better than Lewis last season. He should have been the starter all year over Kalil. Assuming Winters gets cut. C is the ONLY position of strength on the Jets O-line. Edoga is a second year player who was very shaky last year and is coming off injury. Harrison can actually start another year while a developmental rookie backs him up.  

I think we’re def drafting an LT in round 1. But I think if we pick up Peters, our future LT draft pick can ease into the league at RT, while Peters mentors him.

Glasgow is almost a must signing because he can play guard or center equally as goos.

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

I am fine with keeping harrison one more year.  I am more worried about giving Beachum's dodgy knee as our primary left tackle.  A future option at both positions this draft or FA would be ideal.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I am fine with re-signing harrison for one more year.  I am more worried about giving Beachum's dodgy knee as our primary left tackle.  A future option at both positions this draft or FA would be ideal.

harrison is signed through this year.  he's played guard so he should be kept for his versatility.  totally agree on getting a lt even if they bring back beachum for this year.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Even if you give the high side of the money some are saying should go to Jenkins, you will probably be $14M per year short.  Ngakoue is looking for $22M per.

? In this era of social media, every free agent that's any good wants between 20-35 million. That's what their agents are telling the media. If I was one of the best players, I'd be like, just throw it our there I want 25 million. We could always come down. If I say 20 million, I can't change my mind & say, oh no, I meant 22 million. Just another sport being ruined by greed (owners, players & especially Goodell & his allowing all these freaking rule changes every year). With these large contracts the Trumaine Johnsons of the league ruin it for the fans. 

This guy was one of the highest paid Jets in our organizations history & fans got to watch a Maulet, Hairston & Bless Austin, yea baby! 

22 minutes ago, Jetster said:

? In this era of social media, every free agent that's any good wants between 20-35 million. That's what their agents are telling the media. If I was one of the best players, I'd be like, just throw it our there I want 25 million. We could always come down. If I say 20 million, I can't change my mind & say, oh no, I meant 22 million. Just another sport being ruined by greed (owners, players & especially Goodell & his allowing all these freaking rule changes every year). With these large contracts the Trumaine Johnsons of the league ruin it for the fans. 

This guy was one of the highest paid Jets in our organizations history & fans got to watch a Maulet, Hairston & Bless Austin, yea baby! 

Whatever you think about agents or the system, there is no universe where Ngakoue does not get significantly more than Jenkins.  Likely two or three times as much.   

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It’s a pretty good OL free agent market

It’s a hideous WR free agent market 

Sign Glasgow/Thuney , Conklin and reup Beachum to a reasonable 2 year deal and draft Jeudy

3 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

I am fine with keeping harrison one more year.  I am more worried about giving Beachum's dodgy knee as our primary left tackle.  A future option at both positions this draft or FA would be ideal.

Beachum has an injury history but it’s nothing compared to other guys like Glenn and Williams

15 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Whatever you think about agents or the system, there is no universe where Ngakoue does not get significantly more than Jenkins.  Likely two or three times as much.   

I guess we'll find out. Were the Bears in the playoffs last year with Mack? And Mack is a better player than Ngakoue. The AFC South has had some really bad Olines over the last few years. Texans?, Colts were terrible B4 last year, with the Titans being the only decent line. 

The only time these pass rushers push teams over the top are when they are already close to winning it all like Chris Jones with the Chiefs. 

The Texans had at one time Watt, Clowney & Mercilus in their prime and couldn't get to the big game. 

I wanted Ngakoue but not at those ridiculous numbers being floated around. Every resource needs to be put into our Oline & skill players on offense. We'll have to rely on scheme on defense & our Offense outscoring other teams. Huge resources put into the defense have proven futile. Look at the Patriots, their offense faultered & their defense (spending more time on the field) folded like a cheap suit against the Titans run game (very similar to the Jets vs Steelers in 2010). Build a crazy good offense for a change here. 

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sign all the free agent offensive linemen.  Sounds like a workable plan.

As many IOL and CB as we can.  Draft WR, RB and likely a T in rd 1.  T is the most expensive OL.  

I would say draft C and G in rounds 2 and 3, but I think the WR will be too good.  

On 3/11/2020 at 10:48 AM, PepPep said:

I mean, except Winters was constantly hurt, played hurt and missed a lot more games. And even when healthy he was just not as good as Glasgow. And unlike Glasgow, the Jets actually resigned Winters after drafting him. 

The comparison is not apt if you ask me.  

Agreed, that is no where near a fair comparison.  Glasglow can play 3 positions, has had a good track record of being healthy, and has graded out well for multiple years.

Winters, who by all accounts is a tough player, good guy and good teammate is worse then his grades suggest (and his grades aren't good).  For whatever reason, and its likely simply that he isnt strong/stout enough, Winters has 2 or 3 plays a game where he doesnt just get beat, he gets obliterated to the point that a play gets completely blown up resulting in a huge loss.  If it didnt happen as often as it does, maybe you could say it was an aberration but its been happening his entire career and he  is simply not that much better then someone like Tom Compton - he just gets valued higher by the Jets because hes the only OL we have recently drafted that can even play in the league.

Glasglow would be a huge upgrade and allow us to draft a guard and play  him at center if the draft falls that way.

2 hours ago, varjet said:

As many IOL and CB as we can.  Draft WR, RB and likely a T in rd 1.  T is the most expensive OL.  

I would say draft C and G in rounds 2 and 3, but I think the WR will be too good.  

I agree they should try, but I think the likelihood that they can afford Conklin, Beachum AND Thuney or Glascow is minimal.

12 hours ago, jgb said:

So signing FAs from other teams who have shown “disloyalty” to their employer is cool but throwing a Jet who expresses interest in FA overboard on principle is the right thing to do ? 

Disloyalty?

Glasglow wanted to sing an extension at the same time he didnt want to constantly be taken off the field - which was a way his "employer" was devaluing him.  Now he wants to go somewhere where he plays all the snaps and gets paid what he deserves.  Thats not disloyal.  Ill happily take someone from that situation. 

23 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Disloyalty?

Glasglow wanted to sing an extension at the same time he didnt want to constantly be taken off the field - which was a way his "employer" was devaluing him.  Now he wants to go somewhere where he plays all the snaps and gets paid what he deserves.  Thats not disloyal.  Ill happily take someone from that situation. 

Me too and it’s not the point I was making