Would this OLine be acceptable to you?

Maxman

Not my preference. Would want a more solid addition at tackle in FA and/or to draft a tackle. Beachum on a deal without a ton of guarantees after year one, Alex Lewis on some kind of reasonable deal, Thuney/Scherff/Glasgow, a tackle in the first three rounds and a guard and a center each in the first five rounds would be my bare minimum. Harrison and draft pick compete, Lewis and draft pick compete, and Beachum/Edoga/draft pick complete for the two tackle spots.

Too many good tackles in this class not to come out with one when the team heads into the offseason with 0 guaranteed long-term starters on the roster. Particularly when the alternative is guaranteeing Edoga a starting position.

Also could be kind of cool to have that kind of arrangement and draft someone like Wirfs as he could theoretically compete for both tackle spots or the vacant guard spot. Grab a good football player and figure out where he fits into the team.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Imagine how bad your roster management has to be to put you in position to have to sign two starting guards going into Year Three of your alleged franchise QB’s development. 

Imagine how good your roster management has to be to essentially have a $7M option on Brian Winters.

I'll show myself out.

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Maxman said:

Kelvin Beachum back on a two year deal

Left Guard - free agency

Center - Round Two of the draft

Right Guard - free agency

Right Tackle - Edoga

1st round pick = Jerry Jeudy

By two year deal for Beachum, you mean 2 fully guaranteed seasons (guaranteed for skill not just injury)? Makes a difference. If he's the best veteran we could get to sign here, I could live with it for a year, but I'd really like to see a rookie LT prospect who could take the job and not give it back after Beachum's next injury. He either can't or just doesn't pass block for s*** - certainly not with any consistency - since before his 2015 Steelers injury. This is unlikely to improve as he turns 31 and 32. 

I'm not tremendously in favor of any plan that hands Edoga a starting job outright until he's earned it (and I don't consider another Qvale-type to be competition, since the better of the two can still be unacceptably mediocre to outright lousy). It'd be my great thrill to see Edoga take the giant leap we all hope he has in him based on his supposed raw ability, but I definitely wouldn't bet the season on this hope.

Don't forget Edoga went on IR after just 8 starts as a 22 year-old. That's being given no attention as a concern, as it's been so overshadowed by his suspect play as a rookie. Just searching the web (I'm not going to pretend I followed his college career), it seems he wasn't exactly immune to injuries back at USC either. Missed 2 games to injury in each of his last two seasons at USC and needed offseason wrist surgery after a freshman year when he was used sparingly. Then this year he injured his ankle in his 7th start and left the game. Then came back to start the next game vs Oakland when he sprained that MCL, never returning for the rest of the season. So yes we'd all be thrilled to see it, but no way should the Jets be banking on 14-16 solid starts from Edoga this year, while they stay away from drafting any tackles because of such faith in him and Beachum. You did put Harrison back where he belongs, as cheap veteran C/G depth, so I like that.

Who else are you drafting on the OL? Or is it just a 2nd round center and that's it (other than maybe a blind luck depth pick in rounds 6 or 7)? Inking 3 veteran FA contracts + 1 draft pick + hand Edoga a starting job after 8 mostly-poor games as a rookie = not what I was personally hoping for as part I of the great Douglas OL rebuild this offseason. C is the cheapest OL position to buy in free agency and it's the only one you're addressing in the draft? Hm. 

Have to say, Bossman, I'd be less than enthused if this was the projected Jets' starting OL on May 1st. But I'm a nitpicky jerk, so there's that also.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Left Guard - free agency

Right Tackle - Edoga

I need to think of these things in terms of actual names.  So let’s say...

Beachum, Scherff, Cesar Ruiz, Graham Glasgow, Edoga

Arrrghhh!  I can live with it but would be very disappointed that the Jets couldn’t upgrade either Tackle spot in the Draft.  I’m okay with not getting a Tier 1 guy like Thomas, Wirfs, Becton, Wills, etc. but if that’s the case I’d like to see them grab an OT in Round 2.  It’s a very deep OT Draft.....even if the Jets had to move up a few spots and used say a 4th round pick to do it I’d be okay with it.  Josh Jones, Austin Jackson, etc.  Need to get one of those Top 8-ish OTs in my opinion. 

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Left Guard - free agency

Right Tackle - Edoga

All due respect, no. IMO, the single biggest improvement this team can make for the 2020 season is to fix the OL. Believe it or not, the Jets actually have a few weapons that you would find are much better than you think if they just had decent blocking. Not to mention, we have our franchise in back of Center. This kid is our only hope of becoming a better team. I firmly do not believe we should be playing Russian roulette with his protection.

What you're proposing does NOT fix the OL. It also seems to be a waste of draft choices. This draft has talented WR's throughout. We can utilize much less draft capital and still get better at WR. The biggest indictment and resounding statement I can make about the Jets OL is that not a single OL, anywhere on the team, have any business being starting players. A FEW might actually be good enough to spell starters for short periods of time, but all of them are ultimately places the franchise in danger.

• Sympathy 1

Chuma Edoga is depth at very best in the NFL. He is NOT starting OL talent. What people fail to realize is Mac had NO idea about the importance of OL or just simply didn't care, so even when he did choose an OL (Shell, Edoga) they were projects and only served to be backups in the NFL.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Imagine how bad your roster management has to be to put you in position to have to sign two starting guards going into Year Three of your alleged franchise QB’s development. 

And it speaks to how poorly the Jets GM did his job

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Left Guard - free agency

Right Tackle - Edoga

I like it but I’d keep taking OL.  4 picks in the first 3 rounds, they should at least be targeting 2 OL if not 3.  Especially in the scenario where they take WR at #11 which is my preference. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Starting Edoga would not be acceptable to me. 

However, I would be okay with that approach at every other position. 

It all depends on who you draft, of course  

But in this scenario its Edoga at RT and the WR we need badly.

Whats best for Sam, Jeudy and Edoga or a rookie at RT without the top WR prospect 

8 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And why he was fired.

Its why when GMs make their picks, its their picks not who someone else wanted.  Their livelihood is dependent on those picks

Personally, I think it was the Q pick that sealed his fate. The refusal to draft an elite edge prospect, or trade down, or take basically anyone who would have made any impact at all except the bum Macc picked, was the last straw. No coincidence that when they showed the Jets war room afterwards, there was nobody there. Think he alienated the entire coaching staff.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

There’s no way I’m drafting any of the centers in this class in the second round.  If you’re drafting O-line early this year it better be an OT, that’s where the talent and value is.  

It seems like this is a very deep OT class, probably could get our LT of the future in the 2nd, depending on how the board falls to us at #11. If they want to bring Beachum back, and battle Edoga for RT, I could live with that. But no way as the LT.....have to be able to get one this year in the draft. Is this Glasgow guy really any better than Alex Lewis?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Left Guard - free agency

Right Tackle - Edoga

I think Beachum back on a one or two year deal is likely.  We can't go into the draft knowing we need to draft a starting OT at 11.  Thats how you wind up reaching and ending up with Ereck Flowers as your LT. 

If we took this approach, and a Becton/Wirfs/Thomas/Wills is available, then take  him and Beachum could provide some decent depth.  But if we go Jeudy or another WR in R1, then I would much prefer using #48 on an OT to eventually replace Beachum.  Would rather see Harrison at C and a guy like Wanoghu/Jackson in R2.  And then try to solve for interior OL in the 3rd and let a rookie compete with Harrison and the two FA guards at some point in the season.  We can't keep relying on FA to plug holes on OL.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, section314 said:

Personally, I think it was the Q pick that sealed his fate. The refusal to draft an elite edge prospect, or trade down, or take basically anyone who would have made any impact at all except the bum Macc picked, was the last straw. No coincidence that when they showed the Jets war room afterwards, there was nobody there. Think he alienated the entire coaching staff.

Mccags’ BAP philosophy finally clashed with the coaching staff knowing there were obvious needs either at edge or by trading back and getting more picks.  

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, Lith said:

I think Beachum back on a one or two year deal is likely.  We can't go into the draft knowing we need to draft a starting OT at 11.  Thats how you wind up reaching and ending up with Ereck Flowers as your LT. 

If we took this approach, and a Becton/Wirfs/Thomas/Wills is available, then take  him and Beachum could provide some decent depth.  But if we go Jeudy or another WR in R1, then I would much prefer using #48 on an OT to eventually replace Beachum.  Would rather see Harrison at C and a guy like Wanoghu/Jackson in R2.  And then try to solve for interior OL in the 3rd and let a rookie compete with Harrison and the two FA guards at some point in the season.  We can't keep relying on FA to plug holes on OL.

I agree, you def. need to bring beachum back.  Do not draft wr in the first round.  Do not.  If you don’t like the OL at 11, trade back, get more picks and then you can draft OL and have extra picks.  

All year we sit here on this board and complain about how little time darnold has, how he keeps getting hit, how he can’t sit in the pocket and let Anderson run his routes, and how there’s no running lanes b/c the OL sucks.  And yet there are plenty of posters who want Jeudy in the first round.  At some point, some regime has to fix the OL if this team wants to contend.  Bell and whatever rb they take day 3 will look considerably better if they have a few new guys on the Ol who can block.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Mccags’ BAP philosophy finally clashed with the coaching staff knowing there were obvious needs either at edge or by trading back and getting more picks.  

And to make it worse, you drafted a pure 4-3 DT to play in a 3-4. My gosh, the Giants got a better player at 17 in Dexter Lawrence.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

No coincidence that when they showed the Jets war room afterwards, there was nobody there. Think he alienated the entire coaching staff.

I think this is what led to his firing too.  Especially when you look back at CJ saying he started hearing how Macc had problems in the building.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Jet Nut said:

I think this is what led to his firing too.  Especially when you look back at CJ saying he started hearing how Macc had problems in the building.  

Didn't stories come out that in the pre draft meetings, Macc basically shut out Gase and the coaches? That's just crazy. Listen to their imput, but make the final decision yourself.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

It seems like this is a very deep OT class, probably could get our LT of the future in the 2nd, depending on how the board falls to us at #11. If they want to bring Beachum back, and battle Edoga for RT, I could live with that. But no way as the LT.....have to be able to get one this year in the draft. Is this Glasgow guy really any better than Alex Lewis?

The benefit of drafting OTs is that they generally can transition to guard if they don’t work out at tackle.  You have less “bust” potential and have more versatility.  You draft a center or guard high, they better work out because there’s no where else to play them.  Besides, the OT position is so much more valuable, look at the available guards in free agency year to year, and then look at the available tackles, it’s night and day.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, section314 said:

Didn't stories come out that in the pre draft meetings, Macc basically shut out Gase and the coaches? That's just crazy. Listen to their imput, but make the final decision yourself.

Yeah, there were rumblings.  Which led to the building comments and then bore themselves out with Macc getting dumped, especially when he was dumped.  

• Upvote 1