jmat321

Has the Geography of the Fan Base Changed?

Just an observation based on following this team and attending games for 30 or so years.   80s/90s growing up in Jersey, very few Jets fans, heart of the fan base seemed to be based in LI/Queens.  Now in my 40s on LI, seems the heart of the fan based resides in North/Central Jersey.  Still a decent # of fans on the Island, but many seem to be on the older side.  Don’t see a lot of younger fans, they seem the gravitate more towards the giants.

Yes, the vast majority of the fanbase is in NJ now.  You can see it on the license plates on gamedays.

SAR I

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, jmat321 said:

Just an observation based on following this team and attending games for 30 or so years.   80s/90s growing up in Jersey, very few Jets fans, heart of the fan base seemed to be based in LI/Queens.  Now in my 40s on LI, seems the heart of the fan based resides in North/Central Jersey.  Still a decent # of fans on the Island, but many seem to be on the older side.  Don’t see a lot of younger fans, they seem the gravitate more towards the giants.

I’d say it’s certainly different. Also factor in people leaving NY/NJ. Will be interesting to see where it’s at in 10 years.

18 minutes ago, 20andOut said:

Speaking as one who does the schlep back and forth from Long Island every home game, there are still tons of Jets fans in Queens and LI. I think they are just not attending games in the same numbers due to the torture of GWB/Cross Bronx.

This. Being in NY I know a lot of people that just don’t want to make the trip every Sunday especially after how easy Shea was. Factor in the team sucks and there’s not a lot of incentive to go to games. 

• Upvote 1

I still go to the games, so it’s obvious mainly jersey plates. From NJ, live on LI now, still visit NJ a lot.  Outside the stadium, just seems to me  more fans in Jersey now, especially on the younger side - 20s/30s and younger.  Island seem to be more 40s/50s and older.

I just left NY, but the majority of fans moved to NJ. The only ny fans we had were Staten island and some of Brooklyn. 

Jets fans are everywhere! I'm still a fan after leaving Brooklyn in the 90's.... living in central Texas and still supporrting the green and white.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Joe the Breadman said:

Jets fans are everywhere! I'm still a fan after leaving Brooklyn in the 90's.... living in central Texas and still supporrting the green and white.

I thought I was the only fan the the DFW area.

Actually. What's funny is a couple of retired jets live down here, and I run into them from time to time. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

Leaving Hofstra killed the LI fan experience. I used to go to camp all the time, brought my young kids, it was a great experience. Moving the entire operation to Jersey, I think a lot of LI fans just went their separate way. 

I’ve heard that from a few of my neighbors.  Apparently you also used to see a lot of jet players out in the community, which helped with the fan base.  Funny enough everyone on LI seems to have a mark gastineau story, none of which are positive, lol.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

" The real fanbase " from the Meadowlands is dying out . PSL's and horrible football are the main factors . Throw in Woody , and you have a catastrophe .

I loved the pre-MetLife crowd, it's still fun to go to games but we basically had a 2nd family at the games in the old stadium. I'd love to see their numbers, I'm sure they want the season ticket holders for the guaranteed revenue. The games in the later half of they year haven't been with anything on the line so it's not like they'd be getting the dynamically priced up.

• Upvote 2

A question for those who had STs longer than me.  Was there a waiting list for STs at Shea?  Or did the waiting list begin with the move to Giants Stadium?  Just know my dad got on the waiting list as soon as they made the move.  

18 minutes ago, jmat321 said:

A question for those who had STs longer than me.  Was there a waiting list for STs at Shea?  Or did the waiting list begin with the move to Giants Stadium?  Just know my dad got on the waiting list as soon as they made the move.  

When I got my tix in the late 70's there was a waiting list.  Unless you were looking for single tickets to games, possibly in different seats for different games.

Better yet, STs tickets were $11 per game, no preseason games. 

14 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Shea was a dump , but REAL Jet fans were there . not the bozos who go to games now to see their mugs on the jumbotron .

you had to be a die-hard Jets fan to want to step foot in that sh!t-hole.  

Judging from this board, roughly half the fans live in fantasy-land or the land of denial.  Not sure how much that's changed since the 70s though.  Also, before any of you Karens get all worked up, I'm not excluding myself.

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Wait for the team to start winning then they’ll come out of the woodwork

Yep.  In a NY min-- (pauses) well that's too cliche.  In a jiffy!

2 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Wait for the team to start winning then they’ll come out of the woodwork

It’ll be nice to be surrounded by Jets fans instead of fans from the opposing team 

Should be named the NJ Jets frankly.

Stadium is in Jersey.

Fans are in Jersey.

New York City didn't want them.

Seems strait forward to me, they're the Jersey Jets.

As a Jets fan I'm a minority in Syracuse and the Central New York area., which is mostly made up of Giants, Steelers, and Bills fans. I believe there was a spike in Jets fans and interest in the team during the years the Jets had their training camp site in Cortland, NY.

1 hour ago, Web72 said:

It’ll be nice to be surrounded by Jets fans instead of fans from the opposing team 

Winners get sprinkles 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Should be named the NJ Jets frankly.

Stadium is in Jersey.

Fans are in Jersey.

New York City didn't want them.

Seems strait forward to me, they're the Jersey Jets.

then Jersey Giants too.  They chose NJ after Yankee stadium.  NYC not willing to do anything.  

So which Jersey jersey should I get?  I mean a Jersey Jets jersey not a Jersey Giants jersey.  Of course. 

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

then Jersey Giants too.  They chose NJ after Yankee stadium.  NYC not willing to do anything.  

So which Jersey jersey should I get?  I mean a Jersey Jets jersey not a Jersey Giants jersey.  Of course. 

INFERIORITY-COMPLEX.jpg

6 hours ago, slats said:

Leaving Hofstra killed the LI fan experience. I used to go to camp all the time, brought my young kids, it was a great experience. Moving the entire operation to Jersey, I think a lot of LI fans just went their separate way. 

Still hate they’re no longer there. I get it- though. Makes more sense to build closer to the stadium. Just wish they’d come back for more than a day or two. Wish they’d do a full week open to the public in camp.

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

INFERIORITY-COMPLEX.jpg

Nice try at a kick save. But it ignores the point.  Should San Francisco 49ers change their name?  SFO tossed them to the curb.  Santa Clara 49ers it shall be. After all, your logic.

I think some of that is a lot of people from LI/Queens escaped to live in NJ lol.

You also forgot Staten Island which still has a healthy fan base of Jets fans 

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

After all, your logic.

Jets Fans base = New Jersey & a few oldsters on LI

Giants Fan Base = New York City & LI

If you choose to feel inferior about it, that's on you my friend.

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

NJ is like 99.99% Giants fans everywhere.  I live here. You don't.  Northern NJ Jets fans is such a minority.  Really.  Just stop now before you say more factually incorrect things.  There's a huge difference between someone saying that more than half of the jets fans are form NJ and half of the footnball fans in NJ are Jets fans.  But somehow you it into more than half of NJ fans are Jets fans..   LOL.  NJ is a bastion and stronghold for Giants fans.  Always will be.

46 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Not true at all. If you are talking Manhattan which by the way is mostly transplants maybe. Giants have the edge in the Bronx as well. Outer boroughs like Staten Island and queens are pretty split with most of queens Jets fans. I give the giants the edge in Brooklyn. I also know a lot of jet fans up in Rockland county as well. 

9 hours ago, jmat321 said:

I’ve heard that from a few of my neighbors.  Apparently you also used to see a lot of jet players out in the community, which helped with the fan base.  Funny enough everyone on LI seems to have a mark gastineau story, none of which are positive, lol.

here in Charlotte... you see Panthers players all the time in restaurants etc.  The move to NJ took the Jets identity with it.    

• Upvote 1