Prospect Preview: WR Bryan Edwards Could be Ideal mid-round Pick for Gang Green

JetNation

Bryan-Edwards.jpg

If Joe Douglas and the New York Jets end up taking an offensive tackle in round one as many are projecting, one of the next highest items on their shopping list should be a wide receiver.  Of course needs can change between now and the draft with free agency looming, but with Jamison Crowder as their only proven pass catcher, the Jets should be looking to add a couple of rookie recievers come draft time.

Here, we’re going to look at a potential target in South Carolina’s Bryan Edwards who has a penchant for making circus catches and big plays.

Name Bryan Edwards
College South Carolina
No. 89
Ht/Wt 6′ 3” 215
Current Projections:
Bleacher Report: 68th overall
Walter Football: 108th overall

College Production:

G Rec Yds Avg TD
2016                     12 44 590 13.4 4
2017                     13 64 793 12.4 5
2018                     13 55 846 15.4 7
2019                     10 71 816 11.5 6

A big target in a deep draft class, Bryan Edwards and his 6′ 3” frame could be an ideal selection in the middle rounds for Gang Green as they look to build around Sam Darnold.  As you can see from the projection above, Bleacher Report actually has him going to the Jets with the 68th overall pick.

As a team caption from Conway, South Carolina, Edwards set a school record by logging at least one reception in all 48 career games played. He’s not a burner at the position, but has plenty of speed to make it as a pro.  His ability to make catches in tight coverage might be his best trait and it’s his ability to track the ball so well that allows him to make so many contested catches.

Edwards also shows plenty of toughness, lining up in the slot or boundary and running in-routes over the middle, absorbing big hits and hanging on to the ball.

Watching some more Bryan Edwards and this one jumps out. Has shown the ability to make big plays as a receiver and willing to take a hit over the middle, but tough as nails here as ball carrier against Alabama. pic.twitter.com/ROeEirmoxU

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) February 9, 2020

From the handful of games we’ve seen, you can’t question his toughness as a player who welcomes contact on reverses out of the backfield and takes big hits head on. Perhaps not as strong, but he’s reminiscent of current Jets receiver Quincy Enunwa in how he goes about his business, without any durability concerns.

On special teams, Edwards has had a limited look as a  punt returner where he has had 19 returns for 220 yards (11.6 YPR) without a touchdown.

Bryan Edwards was featured quite often in the screen game and looked to have a good feel for what was going on around him, used blockers well and made some big plays. pic.twitter.com/DiybAACRvF

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) February 9, 2020

If the Jets can nab a big target who can line up on the inside or outside who shows good hands and plenty of guts, it would be a step in the right direction as they look to develop Sam Darnold in year three as a pro.

The post Prospect Preview: WR Bryan Edwards Could be Ideal mid-round Pick for Gang Green appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
qsLZqGEfQWI

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 4

Really like the look of him with the limited amount I’ve seen, looks like he might test ok too which will be critical because he certainly has all the key traits a bigger WR needs. D ads, fights for the ball and seems to get open 

With Enunwa likely on the outs, Crowder just a wee guy and Robby rail thin we really need a bigger more physical presence on the outside in my opinion. 

SC wideouts have a good pedigree when it comes to the NFL ...I think he could be a really good player

• Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Aside from being a Gamecock, his biggest flaw IMO is that he body catches a lot of balls, that’s a rarely correctable trait and really stunts a WRs effectiveness in the NFL.  He’s not that dynamic athletically so his ceiling is somewhat limited.  

Stronger letter to follow?? Wasn't being a "body catcher" Stephen Hills' kryptonite?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, section314 said:

Stronger letter to follow?? Wasn't being a "body catcher" Stephen Hills' kryptonite?

Lol..no.  That’s all I have to say about that.  

Edwards is better than Hill was coming out.  Hill had more issues than just his hands, but yes Hill’s hands ultimately caused him to be non-developmental in the NFL.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

Lol..no.  That’s all I have to say about that.  

Edwards is better than Hill was coming out.  Hill had more issues than just his hands, but yes Hill’s hands ultimately caused him to be non-developmental in the NFL.  

Will never forget that drop in the back of the end zone, on a perfect pass from Sanchez, in New England . That was the beginning of "Houston we have a problem."

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

Will never forget that drop in the back of the end zone, on a perfect pass from Sanchez, in New England . That was the beginning of "Houston we have a problem."

That moment for me was on draft day...Lol.  I watched Hill at Georgia Tech, his entire game was running a 9 route and relying on the defender to get caught up looking to play the run against the triple option offense.   

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I remember the pre draft stuff that year when he kept rising up all the mocks. It was so weird seeing a WR from Paul Johnson's system so highly thought of. Didn't seem to make sense. That said, different coach, system and player, but somebody who gets Malcolm Perry this year from Navy will be very happy.?

13 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

There was a time where you'd be chastised to oblivion on Jets forums for saying something like this. It's true AF though. So many were convinced he was the next megatron. lmfao.

There was a time when @T0mShane and I co-hosted Jetnation radio and that was my assessment. He said Jamal Adams was less graceful and I said, "Who's Jamal Adams?" 

"Ah, some high school kid who banged my wife."

True story

• Haha 1

I can't remember too many drafts that had the depth of WR prospects that I like than this one.  There are going to be some very good impactful guys there on day three of the draft.

I'll be pretty sore at the new GM if we do not come out of this draft with two WR's and two olineman (at least)

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

There was a time when @T0mShane and I co-hosted Jetnation radio and that was my assessment. He said Jamal Adams was less graceful and I said, "Who's Jamal Adams?" 

"Ah, some junior high school kid who banged my wife."

True story

We know this is a lie because I only date women who can run a 4.6 or better and we KNOW there’s no way Jamal Adams is running any of them down from behind 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Aside from being a Gamecock, his biggest flaw IMO is that he body catches a lot of balls, that’s a rarely correctable trait and really stunts a WRs effectiveness in the NFL.  He’s not that dynamic athletically so his ceiling is somewhat limited.  

This^^

WR’s who body catch a ton at this stage of their career just usually aren’t going to ever be “natural catchers” and that is a concern for a guy who is limited in athletic ability and cannot gain separation right off the snap. I think he has good size and some good tape though.

4th-5th rounder imo.

• 1 month later...