Outside the box!

Jetster

We all know protecting Sam Darnold & getting him weapons is numero uno. After the cuts & the salary cap increase, the Jets should have somewhere between 81-85 million. 

It looks like from the mock drafts I'm seeing the top LTs might be gone at #11. I DO NOT WANT A PROJECT LT at #11. Joe D should try to do what LA Rams did for Goff & that's get a veteran LT on a 2 year deal even if he's an old guy. He should try to get Trent Williams from the Skins (our 1st third rounder?), or sign Jason Peters if the Eagles don't resign him. 

Next, GO HARD AFTER 3 Free agent Olineman. Sure it's gonna cost you but Darnold is still on his rookie contract, Trumaine Johnsons contract will be pretty much off the books in 2021 & we can cut Bell in 2021 too. 

Go after Glasgow, Conklin & Boling (Cincy), 3 veterans that are still prime & know how to play the position. Is it likely we can get 3 Olineman to come to New York? Probably not, but he should damn sure be trying! 

The reason I do this is because I use outside of the 1st round pick, the entire draft on young skill players to surround Sam with. Look what Deebo Samuel has done for the 49ers. You guys are going to kill me, BUT, then I take the 2nd best pass rusher in this draft Epenesa at #11. Non stop motor, with Mosely, Adams, it gives us bad azzes at every level. Then with our 2, two 3s, I'm going two best WRs available & best RB that fits Gase scheme. Big fast, cut back runner. That's 3 skill players on rookie contracts. 

I use the rest of the draft & UDFAs to bring in as many CBs as possible to compete in camp. KC proved you don't need the best defense in the league to win the Super Bowl, even the Pats best defenses were in their earlier Super Bowls. Hell, the Pats had an above average defense, their offense is what let them down last year. It's TIME!!! Do everything in our power & use all of our free agent resources to FIX THE OLINE so fans can finally go to Metlife & see the Jets catch up to the league in 2020 & join what I call the REDZONE CLUBS. These are the teams when you switch over the the Redzone the announcer says the JETS are back in the Redzone again! 

Make going to the game EXCITING. Make PRIMETIME Jets games must see TV, instead of the entire country seeing the Jets vs the Patriots on MNF & saying I'd rather read a book. We have been one of the most boring NFL teams for 10 years now. Joe Douglas needs to put on his recruiting sweater, get 4 vets that can come in here & Pollack can get them up to speed quickly & join the offensive revolution that is the new NFL. F*ck this 2021, 2022 talk, we have a young QB with skills going into his 3rd year & finally coming to camp working with the same Coach & offensive system. LETS GO!!!

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I honestly though this was another Jamal Adams thread in regards to playing outside the box. I’m shocked that it isn’t. 

Oh, Jamal will be outside the box with the return of CJ Mosely. Mosely, Adams & Epenesa are going to give teams fits. 

• Upvote 4

You're seriously going to draft skill players rather than OL?  No thank you.  For me it's gotta be OL. OL. WR, OL in that order.  FA, UDFA, and the rest of the draft can be used to fill in the others.  Can't do it all in one offseason.  Gotta be pragmatic.      

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Drafting OL at 11 doesnt return a pure prospect at that spot.

Its the pick that every good GM turns into a dependable member of their OL.  

If all the start OL were available at the top of the draft only ther would be a huge need for OL all through the league and none would get to FA

Either way, using FA to shore up the two position of need, add in EDGE and none of this is outside of any box.  Macc left this team dead at too many positions for their to be a box to think out of

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

We all know protecting Sam Darnold & getting him weapons is numero uno. After the cuts & the salary cap increase, the Jets should have somewhere between 81-85 million. 

It looks like from the mock drafts I'm seeing the top LTs might be gone at #11. I DO NOT WANT A PROJECT LT at #11. Joe D should try to do what LA Rams did for Goff & that's get a veteran LT on a 2 year deal even if he's an old guy. He should try to get Trent Williams from the Skins (our 1st third rounder?), or sign Jason Peters if the Eagles don't resign him. 

Next, GO HARD AFTER 3 Free agent Olineman. Sure it's gonna cost you but Darnold is still on his rookie contract, Trumaine Johnsons contract will be pretty much off the books in 2021 & we can cut Bell in 2021 too. 

Go after Glasgow, Conklin & Boling (Cincy), 3 veterans that are still prime & know how to play the position. Is it likely we can get 3 Olineman to come to New York? Probably not, but he should damn sure be trying! 

The reason I do this is because I use outside of the 1st round pick, the entire draft on young skill players to surround Sam with. Look what Deebo Samuel has done for the 49ers. You guys are going to kill me, BUT, then I take the 2nd best pass rusher in this draft Epenesa at #11. Non stop motor, with Mosely, Adams, it gives us bad azzes at every level. Then with our 2, two 3s, I'm going two best WRs available & best RB that fits Gase scheme. Big fast, cut back runner. That's 3 skill players on rookie contracts. 

I use the rest of the draft & UDFAs to bring in as many CBs as possible to compete in camp. KC proved you don't need the best defense in the league to win the Super Bowl, even the Pats best defenses were in their earlier Super Bowls. Hell, the Pats had an above average defense, their offense is what let them down last year. It's TIME!!! Do everything in our power & use all of our free agent resources to FIX THE OLINE so fans can finally go to Metlife & see the Jets catch up to the league in 2020 & join what I call the REDZONE CLUBS. These are the teams when you switch over the the Redzone the announcer says the JETS are back in the Redzone again! 

Make going to the game EXCITING. Make PRIMETIME Jets games must see TV, instead of the entire country seeing the Jets vs the Patriots on MNF & saying I'd rather read a book. We have been one of the most boring NFL teams for 10 years now. Joe Douglas needs to put on his recruiting sweater, get 4 vets that can come in here & Pollack can get them up to speed quickly & join the offensive revolution that is the new NFL. F*ck this 2021, 2022 talk, we have a young QB with skills going into his 3rd year & finally coming to camp working with the same Coach & offensive system. LETS GO!!!

ok, but the strategy you are saying on the Oline is mostly FAs and we should be spending more draft picks in rounds 2 and 3 on T/G/C since some of them can possibly even be starters this year and will be better to have then high priced FAs.

• Sympathy 2

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jamal Adams outside the box has a measly 44.1 PFF rating and as we all know that’s #curtains 

Looking for more pointless numbers to dispel what everyone in the game thinks of Jamal.  

Its you 80, Carl and Ted vs the world.  And losing 

20 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

ok, but the strategy you are saying on the Oline is mostly FAs and we should be spending more draft picks in rounds 2 and 3 on T/G/C since some of them can possibly even be starters this year and will be better to have then high priced FAs.

And taking old OL is just a bandaid.  We need to develop a young OL at some point

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

The same Jason Peters who was an UDFA?  Some of the best LTs in the league were drafted outside the top-10.   Taylor Llewan - 11th pick.  Joe Staley - 28th pick.  David Bakhtiari - 109th pick.  Tyron Smith, possibly the best LT in the league, was picked #9. 

Like every position, it's not all Pace, Ogden or bust.  Every draft pick is a 'project' but you can get a great 10-15 year LT at the 11th pick just as easily, if not more so, than a WR, DE or any other position.  Meanwhile, Jason Peters is 38 years old so he could be toast next season and we just watched that movie with Ryan Kalil.  I didn't like the ending.

3 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I honestly though this was another Jamal Adams thread in regards to playing outside the box. I’m shocked that it isn’t. 

Opened for same reason, was disappointed and aborted 2 sentences in

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, LockeJET said:

I'm signing an edge guy in FA. This has to be an offensive draft. Either OL or Jeudy or Lamb!!

It can be a offensive draft at #2 & both 3s, maybe even 4. It's not out of the realm of possibility the Jets could come away with Pittman, Jefferson & JK Dobbins. 

You can't start a bunch of rookies on an oline. Even the Jets Oline didn't start kicking azz until 2009 when they added Fanaca & Woody. 

I am adding offense by adding 4 veteran Olineman that can step right in & start working towards a cohesive unit in the 2020 camp. You can still draft Guards in the 4th, 5th, 6th if you want to. Scoring points will help GWs defense, that & have a pass rusher (Epenesa), this guy is rated as the 2nd best pass rusher in the draft & the #1 guy is a freak of nature. 

It just might be the way the draft shakes out, you have to draft BPA for NEED & at premier positions. We need Olineman but we also need an edge Rusher badly. 

32 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The op just MUST be the forum name for mike mccganan.

Lets sextuple down the the pure idiocy of ignoring the oline in the draft.

(As for the title of this thread?  It got my hopes up, I thought Jamal Adams had been traded.)

Yea, let’s just start a bunch of draft picks on the Oline.....CAN’T WAIT!

4 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

You're seriously going to draft skill players rather than OL?  No thank you.  For me it's gotta be OL. OL. WR, OL in that order.  FA, UDFA, and the rest of the draft can be used to fill in the others.  Can't do it all in one offseason.  Gotta be pragmatic.      

Are we really saying that our #1 pick should be only used for a LT & a LT only, no matter who is available? 
Just because Macc sucked at his job doesn’t mean JD can’t find a Super Star @ 11 that might not happen to be a LT. 

21 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Dude had a big tumor in his head and couldn't put a helmet on. Why would we trade draft picks for him?

By the accounts I have seen he has recovered. Bigger concern to me is how he has recovered emotionally and does he have the same desire for the game. Those I have known that have recovered from life threatening conditions have changed and have a different perspective. Just a thought.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Are we really saying that our #1 pick should be only used for a LT & a LT only, no matter who is available? 
Just because Macc sucked at his job doesn’t mean JD can’t find a Super Star @ 11 that might not happen to be a LT. 

If the available LT at 11 is not a day one pick then go with RT or G or C.  In other words best available OL at 11 regardless.  

We can't staff the whole OLine with expensive free agents.  It's unsustainable.  The Jets MUST draft young, talented OLinemen who will play on relatively cheap rookie contracts for the next 4-5 years.  We need to take a "portfolio approach" to the OLine.  It's okay to have a couple free agents but they need to fit tactical needs.....experienced guys who fill immediate plug-and-play needs.  But they should be the exception. The Jets had reasonable, sustained success on the OLine when they had D'Brick and Mangold in place.  LT and Center are the two most important OLine positions and should be drafted, not acquired through FA.

I love this WR class but the Jets can get a good one in Round 2....even the 8th or 9th best WR in this Draft will have serious starting potential in the NFL.  But that WR isn't catching a ball if Darnold is on his back.  We need to take what this Draft gives us....and it's going to give us 3, 4, maybe even 5 OTs that are worth taking in the Top 20.

We have an entire thread dedicated to OTs in the Draft Forum.  Come check it out...

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

We can't staff the whole OLine with expensive free agents.  It's unsustainable.  The Jets MUST draft young, talented OLinemen who will play on relatively cheap rookie contracts for the next 4-5 years.  We need to take a "portfolio approach" to the OLine.  It's okay to have a couple free agents but they need to fit tactical needs.....experienced guys who fill immediate plug-and-play needs.  But they should be the exception. The Jets had reasonable, sustained success on the OLine when they had D'Brick and Mangold in place.  LT and Center are the two most important OLine positions and should be drafted, not acquired through FA.

I love this WR class but the Jets can get a good one in Round 2....even the 8th or 9th best WR in this Draft will have serious starting potential in the NFL.  But that WR isn't catching a ball if Darnold is on his back.  We need to take what this Draft gives us....and it's going to give us 3, 4, maybe even 5 OTs that are worth taking in the Top 20.

We have an entire thread dedicated to OTs in the Draft Forum.  Come check it out...

Here's an interesting take on the positional value in the draft this year between OL and WR.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-position-rankings-offensive-tackles

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-position-rankings-wide-receivers

The 5th-ranked OL is ranked 67 overall.  The 10th-ranked OL is ranked 90th overall.

The 5th-ranked WR is ranked 23rd overall.   The 10th-ranked WR is ranked 40th overall.

Clearly, if you take these rankings at face value, you would do far better to grab a top-4 OL in the 1st round and then take a WR in the 2nd round who will be ranked far higher than any OL still available then.  Even though they have Lamb and Jeudy ranked higher than any of the OL by a hair, the combined value of picks 1-2 is far better if you go OL-WR than WR-OL. 

Yes, I'm a math nerd.  

• Sympathy 2

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Here's an interesting take on the positional value in the draft this year between OL and WR.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-position-rankings-offensive-tackles

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl-draft-position-rankings-wide-receivers

The 5th-ranked OL is ranked 67 overall.  The 10th-ranked OL is ranked 90th overall.

The 5th-ranked WR is ranked 23rd overall.   The 10th-ranked WR is ranked 40th overall.

Clearly, if you take these rankings at face value, you would do far better to grab a top-4 OL in the 1st round and then take a WR in the 2nd round who will be ranked far higher than any OL still available then.  Even though they have Lamb and Jeudy ranked higher than any of the OL by a hair, the combined value of picks 1-2 is far better if you go OL-WR than WR-OL. 

Yes, I'm a math nerd.  

The centroid of the Top 20 OT and WR prospects definitely sits towards the WR side. :D