Our offense used to be fun

jetsjets

3 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

if the Jets drafted Marino and the Dolphins drafted O'Brien, both QB's would have "executive level" stats and still *NO* Super Bowl rings.

The NFC was so much better back then that maybe we don't win a SB but with Marino we at least get to one or more. 

12 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

The offense was fun in 2015 with Fitzpatrick, Marshall, Decker, and Ivory.  It was also fun in 2008 with Favre, Jones, Coles, Cotchery, and Keller.  Unfortunately, these were both 1 year flash in the pan type of seasons.

In no way, shape, or form were the Mark Sanchez lead offenses fun.  In fact, they were mostly brutal to watch outside of a few solid playoff games.

If you like quality running, the Mark Sanchez offense in 2009 and 2010 were some of the best examples of smash-mouth you could ask for.  The offensive line the Jets had was one of the best in the league and perhaps the best the Jets ever had.  Not just from a talent standpoint, but the way Callahan ran his blocking schemes was masterful. Thomas Jones was a stout work horse and Leon gave them the lighting quick change of pace.   That running game was really a pleasure to watch.  It was a big help to Sanchez.  If he didn't have such a great line and running game behind him, the interceptions would have doubled.  

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

2015 is the only time the offense has been fun in 15+ years. That's the only year it felt like our O could go out and score TDs on any given drive.

Until we needed to score against a mediocre bills team that was really banged up.

The 2010 O was really fun, they saved that team numerous times late in games

• Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Ohhhh ouch. You think so? With out offense + Marino + NY Sack exchange I think we definitely win a championship between 84-89.

The sack exchange was great but it was basically one year where they were mostly healthy together and that was 1981.

31 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Yup absolutely right. Nothing against Kenny O...but if we drafted the guy we should have, I can’t even imagine how great we would have been with that offense + NY Sack Exchange.

Kenny never won a playoff game, his backup QB started the only playoff win of the O'Brien era. 

57 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

If you like quality running, the Mark Sanchez offense in 2009 and 2010 were some of the best examples of smash-mouth you could ask for.  The offensive line the Jets had was one of the best in the league and perhaps the best the Jets ever had.  Not just from a talent standpoint, but the way Callahan ran his blocking schemes was masterful. Thomas Jones was a stout work horse and Leon gave them the lighting quick change of pace.   That running game was really a pleasure to watch.  It was a big help to Sanchez.  If he didn't have such a great line and running game behind him, the interceptions would have doubled.  

2009 yes, 2010 we were a pass offense and in 09 we ran up yardage numbers in a few games. They were good, not as good as the numbers suggest.  In that postseason we didn't have a consistent run game, we has a big play a game from Greene.  

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Kenny never won a playoff game, his backup QB started the only playoff win of the O'Brien era. 

I know...which is why its a shame we drafted him. That was my point, I can only imagine how good we would have been with Marino.

We coulda shoulda had:

- Marino as our QB in the 80’s & 90’s.

- Drafted Peyton Manning in 97.

- Transitioned from Parcells to Belichick as our HC and Parcells as our GM in 2000

We are always off from greatness.

• Sympathy 1

On 2/9/2020 at 7:07 PM, jetsjets said:

https://youtu.be/VEHH1Wgd5Dw

I was reminiscing back to the time I enjoyed watching our offense. Not the clearest video but man.......were we good. Three good wide receivers, two good running backs, awesome TE and a offensive line the that hit and blocked. Hope you guys enjoy the video 

The biggest highlight is that Oline. 

• Upvote 1

In the least shocking twist ever, this thread has entered full on junk mode.  I mean, all we need to do is desperately dismiss years that were better in every measurable than any point in Sanchez's laughably awful Jets' career, while endlessly celebrating the person who was without question by far the team's single greatest weakness throughout the entirety of their short-lived success.

But sure, one bad game from Fitz in 2015 or a Favre injury in 2008 is somehow more meaningful than dozens of historically awful games from the guy whose career is most well-known for him running into his teammate's ass.

To the original point of this thread, there was absolutely positively nothing "fun" about those offenses, when constantly watching an absolutely dominant OL and run game, along with a strong WR corps, get dragged down by a completely inept QB.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

In the least shocking twist ever, this thread has entered full on junk mode.  I mean, all we need to do is desperately dismiss years that were better in every measurable than any point in Sanchez's laughably awful Jets' career, while endlessly celebrating the person who was without question by far the team's single greatest weakness throughout the entirety of their short-lived success.

But sure, one bad game from Fitz in 2015 or a Favre injury in 2008 is somehow more meaningful than dozens of historically awful games from the guy whose career is most well-known for him running into his teammate's ass.

To the original point of this thread, there was absolutely positively nothing "fun" about those offenses, when constantly watching an absolutely dominant OL and run game, along with a strong WR corps, get dragged down by a completely inept QB.

Remember the game where we rushed for 318 yards and still lost because Sanchez went 10-29 for 119 yards. 0 TDs and 5 INTs?

How do people still defend Mark Sanchez?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200910180nyj.htm

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Remember the game where we rushed for 318 yards and still lost because Sanchez went 10-29 for 119 yards. 0 TDs and 5 INTs?

That wasn't Mark's fault!  That team was built to survive 5 turnovers by Sanchez.  It was the Weatherford INT that caused the loss!  I mean Mark recovered his own fumble.  Nothing to see here. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Fair enough, but I prefer balance.

It was quite frustrating to watch a dominant offensive line and run game be held back and neutralized by a non-existent passing game.  Prime example:

Bills at Jets October 18, 2009

Jets completely dominate the Bills in the run game and rush for over 300 yards on the day.  Sanchez throws 5 INTs and gives the game away.  Jets lose 13-16.  That's not fun, that's torture.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DoubleDown said:

It was quite frustrating to watch a dominant offensive line and run game be held back and neutralized by a non-existent passing game.  Prime example:

Jets completely dominate the Bills in the run game and rush for over 300 yards on the day.  Sanchez throws 5 INTs and gives the game away.  Jets lose 13-16.  That's not fun, that's torture.

Yupppp

40 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

How many meaningless points did he lead that O to? And where was he the last month when we needed him most?  Give me the 09 or 10 Is over 2008 any day.

well, yes but imagine if he was healthy the whole season.  2009 and 2010 happened because the defenses were outstanding, not because schitty was such a good oc.

43 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh, I certainly do.  I remember being at that game and having furious rage every time they even called a single pass play (which is also the perfect example of why Schotty was terrible in his own right).

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Oh, I certainly do.  I remember being at that game and having furious rage every time they even called a single pass play (which is also the perfect example of why Schotty was terrible in his own right).

You have to pass at some point, especially with a rookie QB you're trying to develop.  Though of course 29 attempts was on the high end and not necessary.  Play-action/rollout throws would have been smart but I don't recall many of those that day.  

Schotty sucked but I don't put much of the blame on his shoulders for that particular game.  That was nearly all Sanchez.  

On 2/9/2020 at 10:07 AM, jetsjets said:

I was reminiscing back to the time I enjoyed watching our offense. Not the clearest video but man.......were we good. Three good wide receivers, two good running backs, awesome TE and a offensive line the that hit and blocked. Hope you guys enjoy the video 

passable offense.,

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

You have to pass at some point, especially with a rookie QB you're trying to develop.  Though of course 29 attempts was on the high end and not necessary.  

Schotty sucked but I don't put much of the blame on his shoulders for that particular game.  That was all Sanchez.  

After INT #3 (on consecutive drives no less) with a completely dominant run game, that excuse goes out the window... and that's being generous.  Nothing about that is helping development.  They were both useless piles of crap, it's just the Sanchez pile may have been a bit more diarrhetic of the two.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Apache 51 said:

Woody wanted to make a splash with this kid at the time,  he and Rex almost pulled it off.

2108E6D5-4E98-4B71-ADDE-592AB08D9122_4_5005_c.jpeg.443e43802f8a6ec98d710e3afe332806.jpeg

I have to be honest, after we lost the AFC title game to the Steelers, I felt 100% confident that we had our FQB. The way Sanchez played in that 2nd half, if we got that damn stop on 3rd down, he would have won that game.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Until we needed to score against a mediocre bills team that was really banged up.

The 2010 O was really fun, they saved that team numerous times late in games

I mean, they made some clutch plays late against teams like the Browns and Lions -- but the were only clutch because the offense wasn't scoring for 3+ quarters.

1 hour ago, DoubleDown said:

I forget who it was that wanted Sanchez... Rex, Woody, Tanny, Schotty ???

QB's are a huge gamble in the draft, especially if they only have one full year of college ball in the can

On 2/9/2020 at 1:07 PM, jetsjets said:

I thought you were talking about '98. LOL

I miss having a playmaker like a Leon Washington or a Brad Smith (the latter more so for special teams)....someone electric. Robby Anderson is the closest (and only) thing to a guy that can break a big play currently

I really miss having a speed demon pass rusher like Jon Abraham too.....we need someone to wreak some havoc on opposing QBs!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk