Our offense used to be fun

jetsjets

I mean, they made some clutch plays late against teams like the Browns and Lions -- but the were only clutch because the offense wasn't scoring for 3+ quarters.

Dont forget the Houston game.....that was a great final drive....deep pass to Braylon down the right sidelines, then a beautiful lob to Holmes in the back left corner of the EZ for 6 and the win!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Freeman McNeil
Wesley Walker
Al Toon
Mickey Shuler. 
My favorite Jets offense.
If only we actually drafted Marino...

Or an OL.
Anthony Munoz was overruled as a pick by our doctor. Hahaha.
Mike Haight on the other hand was fine and dandy. You remember... the guy who had all the knee surgeries and a shortened career?

Ugh.

That was my favorite Jets team though. Don’t forget the Defense we had wasn’t too shabby either.

2009-10 was the most fun I ever had as an adult though. That and 98

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

9 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Or an OL.
Anthony Munoz was overruled as a pick by our doctor. Hahaha.
Mike Haight on the other hand was fine and dandy. You remember... the guy who had all the knee surgeries and a shortened career?

Ugh.

That was my favorite Jets team though. Don’t forget the Defense we had wasn’t too shabby either.

2009-10 was the most fun I ever had as an adult though. That and 98

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

My god...that Munoz story. How Jetsy.

80’s team is was our most talented team.

98 our best coached and unified team.

09-10 was definitely the most fun though.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

I know...which is why its a shame we drafted him. That was my point, I can only imagine how good we would have been with Marino.

We coulda shoulda had:

- Marino as our QB in the 80’s & 90’s.

- Drafted Peyton Manning in 97.

- Transitioned from Parcells to Belichick as our HC and Parcells as our GM in 2000

We are always off from greatness.

Think of how close we were to Peyton or Brady.  Parcells cost us chances at both.  He wouldn't promise to take him if peyton came out early so he stayed and then his shenanigans with BB cost us BB which cost us Brady.  Their dynasty should be our dynasty.

17 hours ago, rangerous said:

well, yes but imagine if he was healthy the whole season.  2009 and 2010 happened because the defenses were outstanding, not because schitty was such a good oc.

He was healthy enough, he was the iron Man.

2009 and 2010 were led by the Ds but the Is played excellent complimentary football and in 2010 the O saved the D on numbers occasions after blowing late leads.

15 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean, they made some clutch plays late against teams like the Browns and Lions -- but the were only clutch because the offense wasn't scoring for 3+ quarters.

They missed 3 FGs against Cleveland, all makeable ones.  If they make one they don't need to win in OT or if the D doesn't blow a TD lead late to Colt McCoy.

The O had a few clunkers but was very good for the most part that season.  I just wish they had one more possession in the AFC Championship Game.

13 hours ago, papz187 said:

Dont forget the Houston game.....that was a great final drive....deep pass to Braylon down the right sidelines, then a beautiful lob to Holmes in the back left corner of the EZ for 6 and the win!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes, after the D blew a 23-7 4th qtr lead.  No TOs, ball at our 28 needing a TD.  One of the greatest drives in Jets history which included 2 absolutely perfectly thrown passes by Sanchez to pull it off.

• Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Yes, after the D blew a 23-7 4th qtr lead.  No TOs, ball at our 28 needing a TD.  One of the greatest drives in Jets history which included 2 absolutely perfectly thrown passes by Sanchez to pull it off.

Yeah, the D blew the lead.  I'm sure that the INT and Shonn Greene's fumble had nothing to do with that lead evaporating.    

• Sympathy 1

51 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Think of how close we were to Peyton or Brady.  Parcells cost us chances at both.  He wouldn't promise to take him if peyton came out early so he stayed and then his shenanigans with BB cost us BB which cost us Brady.  Their dynasty should be our dynasty.

Im pretty sure that was unfounded rumor. Peyton just wanted to stay at Tenn another year because the narrative on him was he couldn’t win the big one in college. Ironically, Tenn won right after Peyton left.

When Peyton was retiring but still didnt announce it, he only called up 2 coaches that never coached him because he liked and respected them so much: Parcells and BB. 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

My god...that Munoz story. How Jetsy.

80’s team is was our most talented team.

98 our best coached and unified team.

09-10 was definitely the most fun though.

So much ridiculously idiotic pain. I never would have believed that we were to withstand the 2010's that we have. I thought a decade of pain wasn't possible any longer, but here we stand. 

So we have our first real GM with pedigree, our first potential franchise QB, a legit DC with balls and an All Pro safety! Maybe, just maybe we are on threshold of greatness! GREATNESS I SAY!!!! 

• Sympathy 1

actually, we had a real nice offense and team (the surprise of the league) in Mangini's first year. Coles and Cotch were great after the catch, perfect for Chad to dink and dunk to. Brad Smith was doing those flea flickers and Scotty was a genius... and so was Mangenius... I even think we had Leon Washington then....  wow, lots of weapons.    what the hell happened?  But seriously, that was a fun year.

1 minute ago, roscoeword said:

actually, we had a real nice offense and team (the surprise of the league) in Mangini's first year. Coles and Cotch were great after the catch, perfect for Chad to dink and dunk to. Brad Smith was doing those flea flickers and Scotty was a genius... and so was Mangenius... I even think we had Leon Washington then....  wow, lots of weapons.    what the hell happened?  But seriously, that was a fun year.

2006 was OK.  The first 11 games of the 2008 season were damn near transcendent.  

• Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

2006 was OK.  The first 11 games of the 2008 season were damn near transcendent.  

Transcendent?  They sucked at the start.  They sucked at the end.  They had a decent middle.  That schedule was a joke.

Were they transcendent when they got rolled by the Chargers?  When they lost to the 5-11 Raiders?  They put a nice little run together, but they had 9 wins.  They beat the 4-11-1 Bengals, 2-14 Rams, 2-14 Chiefs.  They split with the Brady-less Pats.  Yay an OT win!  The only decent teams they beat all season were the Pennington led Dolphins, Titans and the Cardinals who had the travel excuse the Jets try to use for the Raiders and Chargers debacles.  They lost to the 4-12 Seahawks, 7-9 Niners and 8-8 Broncos.  The Chargers made the playoffs as 8-8 division winners.  

**** transcendent.  Mangini deserved to get fired.  Favre deserved to be a pariah.   The 8-8 in 2013 was way more impressive.  2008 was basically the same year as 2015.  At least in 2006 you had the feeling that something was being built.  In 2008 we knew that **** was playing for the Vikings in 2009.  The only thing to figure out was how ****ed we were going to be on draft picks. 

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Im pretty sure that was unfounded rumor. Peyton just wanted to stay at Tenn another year because the narrative on him was he couldn’t win the big one in college. Ironically, Tenn won right after Peyton left.

When Peyton was retiring but still didnt announce it, he only called up 2 coaches that never coached him because he liked and respected them so much: Parcells and BB. 

It was not unfounded, it happened.  He was going to come out.  BP said he never talked to him because it was against the rules but there are ways to get the word to him.  

Remember, back then it was hard to win with rookie QBs and BP thought he could win within 2 years and get out of there so he wanted no part in developing a rookie QB.

37 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Transcendent?  They sucked at the start.  They sucked at the end.  They had a decent middle.  That schedule was a joke.

Were they transcendent when they got rolled by the Chargers?  When they lost to the 5-11 Raiders?  They put a nice little run together, but they had 9 wins.  They beat the 4-11-1 Bengals, 2-14 Rams, 2-14 Chiefs.  They split with the Brady-less Pats.  Yay an OT win!  The only decent teams they beat all season were the Pennington led Dolphins, Titans and the Cardinals who had the travel excuse the Jets try to use for the Raiders and Chargers debacles.  They lost to the 4-12 Seahawks, 7-9 Niners and 8-8 Broncos.  The Chargers made the playoffs as 8-8 division winners.  

**** transcendent.  Mangini deserved to get fired.  Favre deserved to be a pariah.   The 8-8 in 2013 was way more impressive.  2008 was basically the same year as 2015.  At least in 2006 you had the feeling that something was being built.  In 2008 we knew that **** was playing for the Vikings in 2009.  The only thing to figure out was how ****ed we were going to be on draft picks. 

We were the # 1 offense in the NFL at the time, and had just taken down the undefeated Titans.  Its revisionist history to fail to recognize that.  

And I never stated Mangini didn't suck nor was Favre anything but a pariah.  Tearing his bicep and continuing to play anyways was a selfish move, and Mangini was a pu$$y for not benching him.  Doesn't change the stats from those first 11 games.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We were the # 1 offense in the NFL at the time, and had just taken down the undefeated Titans.  Its revisionist history to fail to recognize that.  

And I never stated Mangini didn't suck nor was Favre anything but a pariah.  Tearing his bicep and continuing to play anyways was a selfish move, and Mangini was a pu$$y for not benching him.  Doesn't change the stats from those first 11 games.

It's revisionist history to pretend that a team that couldn't even feast on a -2.25 strength of schedule was some kind of powerhouse that had a chance at the super bowl.  They weren't that good before Favre got hurt.

2 hours ago, nyjunc said:

As usual, plenty of significant details missing from junk's questionable version of the story.  I will freely admit that final drive was a great one from Sanchez, but he's also far from blameless for the Jets even needing that out of him in the first place.

Your claim of the D being solely responsible for the lost lead once again ignores a number of facts that put giant holes in your argument.  In reality, Houston was significantly aided by a Jets' offense that coughed up a fumble, punted, and then threw an INT on their own drives during that comeback, twice giving the Texans the ball on the Jets' side of the field, the last all the way down on the 10 that very nearly ended the game.  The D holding the Texans to only a FG at that point is what allowed for that second comeback attempt the O needed to be given to even be possible.  In the real world, both sides of the ball failed repeatedly in order to even be in that situation, and both sides needed to step up at the end to fix it.

Your narratives are endlessly based on ignoring a series of facts that don't fit your constant attempts to celebrate the 2009/2010 teams' very worst player.  In the end, it should speak volumes that even Sanchez's supposed moments of greatness are always dependent on dismissing his repeated excessive volume of failures that were happening all around it.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

@Jetsfan80 you suck.  

You made me look this sh*t up. 

They played the #31, 30, 29, 28, 27, and 25 defenses in the league.  POWERHOUSE!

You do realize I meant transcendent for the JETS right?  One of the worst franchises of all-time when it comes to football on the offensive side of the ball?

And those ranks only account for 6 of the first 11 opponents.  What were the other 5?

23 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

Yup absolutely right. Nothing against Kenny O...but if we drafted the guy we should have, I can’t even imagine how great we would have been with that offense + NY Sack Exchange.

We would have been scary on both sides of the ball - Super Bowl for sure. Too bad for Marino too - he never had a great D on any of his teams.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You do realize I meant transcendent for the JETS right?  One of the worst franchises of all-time when it comes to football on the offensive side of the ball?

And those ranks only account for 6 of the first 11 opponents.  What were the other 5?

Titans-7, Patriots-10 (x2), Bengals-12, Bills-14, Dolphins-15 and Cardinals-19.

Sorry.  I didn't meant to be misleading.  A couple of the sh*tty defenses (Seahawks-30, Broncos-29, Niners-13th) they faced during the late season swoon.  The torn bicep thing didn't become an issue until after they started sucking.  When did he hurt it?  He either won after he got hurt or sucked before.  

When I was growing up the Jets had actually exciting offenses with Namath, Caster, Barkum, Toon, Walker, McNeill, Hector.  sh*t, Dwayne Crutchfield was Mr. Excitement compared to the sh*t they trot out there now. 

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Titans-7, Patriots-10 (x2), Bengals-12, Bills-14, Dolphins-15 and Cardinals-19.

Sorry.  I didn't meant to be misleading.  A couple of the sh*tty defenses (Seahawks-30, Broncos-29, Niners-13th) they faced during the late season swoon.  The torn bicep thing didn't become an issue until after they started sucking.  When did he hurt it?  He either won after he got hurt or sucked before.  

When I was growing up the Jets had actually exciting offenses with Namath, Caster, Barkum, Toon, Walker, McNeill, Hector.  sh*t, Dwayne Crutchfield was Mr. Excitement compared to the sh*t they trot out there now. 

The prevailing theory is he hurt it either during or after game 11 of that season.  His steep statistical decline happened over the final 5 games of the season.  

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The prevailing theory is he hurt it either during or after game 11 of that season.  His steep statistical decline happened over the final 5 games of the season.  

There is an article that I can't find now that states when he got hurt.  It's not when you think.  I am sure that I posted it before, but it might have been a decade ago.  **** Favre.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

They missed 3 FGs against Cleveland, all makeable ones.  If they make one they don't need to win in OT or if the D doesn't blow a TD lead late to Colt McCoy.

The O had a few clunkers but was very good for the most part that season.  I just wish they had one more possession in the AFC Championship Game.

Don't get me wrong, the 2010 offense was solid. But the 11-5 record was still the product of a great (top 5) defense. The 2015 offense (while they did choke against Buffalo) was a top ten offense, the only one we've had in 15 years.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

There is an article that I can't find now that states when he got hurt.  It's not when you think.  I am sure that I posted it before, but it might have been a decade ago.  **** Favre.  

Favre is the one who finally expelled the Jets of the noodle, and for that I will be forever grateful.  Beyond that?  Eh, screw him, but there was a short stretch of fun in the middle of that season, which is still better than most years.

3 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Favre is the one who finally expelled the Jets of the noodle, and for that I will be forever grateful.  Beyond that?  Eh, screw him, but there was a short stretch of fun in the middle of that season, which is still better than most years.

I can agree with this, but weeks 12-16 were a pretty fun stretch in 2015 too.  Doesn't amount to much, when the ending is so sad. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

We would have been scary on both sides of the ball - Super Bowl for sure. Too bad for Marino too - he never had a great D on any of his teams.

Never had a great D?  That team went to the super bowl the year before he got there with David ******* Woodley at QB.  They were 1st in points, 7th in yards his rookie year, 4/7 in 1990 and 1/3 in 1998.  **** Dan Marino too. 

7 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

As usual, plenty of significant details missing from junk's questionable version of the story.  I will freely admit that final drive was a great one from Sanchez, but he's also far from blameless for the Jets even needing that out of him in the first place.

Your claim of the D being solely responsible for the lost lead once again ignores a number of facts that put giant holes in your argument.  In reality, Houston was significantly aided by a Jets' offense that coughed up a fumble, punted, and then threw an INT on their own drives during that comeback, twice giving the Texans the ball on the Jets' side of the field, the last all the way down on the 10 that very nearly ended the game.  The D holding the Texans to only a FG at that point is what allowed for that second comeback attempt the O needed to be given to even be possible.  In the real world, both sides of the ball failed repeatedly in order to even be in that situation, and both sides needed to step up at the end to fix it.

Your narratives are endlessly based on ignoring a series of facts that don't fit your constant attempts to celebrate the 2009/2010 teams' very worst player.  In the end, it should speak volumes that even Sanchez's supposed moments of greatness are always dependent on dismissing his repeated excessive volume of failures that were happening all around it.

At no point did I say the D was solely responsible, whenever you blow a big lead it's never on just one unit but the D was our greatest strength.  Sure we turned it over twice but did that mean they had to allow 20 points?  Greene's fumble was near midfield, one play later they scored.  That's the Os fault? 

Sanchez was hit as he threw which led to the int, I'm sure you don't remember that though and Houston ran it 3 straight plays running clock knowing that a FG should have ended the game. Can't give the D too much credit for that.

You can spew your nonsense and get away with it with other posters, not with me. I remember.

5 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Don't get me wrong, the 2010 offense was solid. But the 11-5 record was still the product of a great (top 5) defense. The 2015 offense (while they did choke against Buffalo) was a top ten offense, the only one we've had in 15 years.

15 was also the product of 2 incredible WRs against a very weak schedule and when we needed the O most they disappeared.  When we needed the O most in 2010 they showed up.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

At no point did I say the D was solely responsible, whenever you blow a big lead it's never on just one unit but the D was our greatest strength.  Sure we turned it over twice but did that mean they had to allow 20 points?  Greene's fumble was near midfield, one play later they scored.  That's the Os fault? 

Sanchez was hit as he threw which led to the int, I'm sure you don't remember that though and Houston ran it 3 straight plays running clock knowing that a FG should have ended the game. Can't give the D too much credit for that.

You can spew your nonsense and get away with it with other posters, not with me. I remember.

Statements of pure fact that happen to not fit to your constant agenda devoid of any logic is only "nonsense" in the land of junk.

This game was being cited as an example of the supposed greatness of Sanchez and the 2010 offense, when all that is pointed to is one drive of an otherwise average performance, which is still enough to somehow be one of the peaks of Sanchez's sorry NFL career.  Perhaps if you weren't desperate to excuse him of every failure of his career, while crediting him fully for anything done by the team in spite of him, you would realize that's more an indictment of a mostly terrible player.

15 was also the product of 2 incredible WRs against a very weak schedule and when we needed the O most they disappeared.  When we needed the O most in 2010 they showed up.

When we needed the O most they showed up?   You remember?  Do you remember week 1 against Baltimore?  Getting shut out against Green Bay?  6 points against Miami?  In all three of those games the D held the opposition to 10 points or less and they lost.  That offense doesn't sound very ******* exciting to me.  They only put up 3 in one of the other two losses too, but at least the Pats blew them out.  I know you think they showed up for the playoff game in Pittsburgh and that might be most delusional of them all. 

• Post of the Week 1