Choose 3 Jets Free Agents to Bring Back

Which THREE (3) Jets free agents would you prioritize to bring back for 2020?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which THREE (3) Jets free agents would you prioritize to bring back for 2020?

• LT - Kelvin Beachum
    • OG - Alex Lewis
    • RT - Brandon Shell
    • WR - Demaryius Thomas
    • WR - Robby Anderson
    • RB - Josh Adams
    • LB - Neville Hewitt
    • LB - Brandon Copeland
    • LB - Jordan Jenkins
    • LB - Frankie Luvu
    • CB - Brian Poole
    • CB - Arthur Maulet
    • OTHER (Provide name in the thread)

The Jets are in decent Cap shape but resources aren't unlimited.  They will need to target players from other teams in Free Agency in order to improve the Offensive Line, Cornerback group, Wide Receivers, etc.  But there are probably a few key current Jets who should be brought back so that the roster needs don't get much worse than they already are.

The Poll is multiple choice.  Please choose ONLY THREE (3) players that the Jets should prioritize in bringing back.  (Note: Multiple choice questions allow you to pick as many as you want but we'll use the honor system here to make the results meaningful, so please only choose 3 players.)

1. Poole

2. Robby

3. Beachum

Was close to selecting Lewis as the 3rd spot but the line was demonstrably worse without Beachum and he plays a premium position. Really looked at some of the LBs too, as they all played fairly well when asked to step up, but we have clearly seen how deep the position is on this team so no need to prioritize them

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets are in decent Cap shape but resources aren't unlimited.  They will need to target players from other teams in Free Agency in order to improve the Offensive Line, Cornerback group, Wide Receivers, etc.  But there are probably a few key current Jets who should be brought back so that the roster needs don't get much worse than they already are.

The Poll is multiple choice.  Please choose ONLY THREE (3) players that the Jets should prioritize in bringing back.  (Note: Multiple choice questions allow you to pick as many as you want but we'll use the honor system here to make the results meaningful, so please only choose 3 players.)

Why does it have to be only 3?

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

As he explained, we can sign more if the price is right, but he wants us to pick the three we should prioritize, (ie, let ourselves spend a little higher than what some people consider market rate just because we know they're good).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NYJ1 said:

Because if I said 10 that would be easy.  Life is full of priorities and 3 forces people to make tough choices.

You can think of this question a few different ways.  Of course, the Jets could likely sign 5 or 6 of these guys if they really wanted to but at some point that limits their ability to go after big $$$ free agents from other teams.  You could think of this question as, "Who are the 3 guys you'd like to guarantee come back to the Jets in 2020?" or "Who are 3 guys you might be willing to overpay to bring them back next year?"

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kelticwizard said:

As he explained, we can sign more if the price is right, but he wants us to pick the three we should prioritize, (ie, let ourselves spend a little higher than what some people consider market rate just because we know they're good).

Exactly.  Simply asking to select the guys you want to bring back would probably result in a list of 7, 8, maybe 10 players and then everyone would have a bunch of qualifiers like, "I'd bring back Beachum but if we can find someone better in FA then I'd rather do that," or "I want Alex Lewis back but only for cheap dollars and not if the Jets can sign Brandon Scherff, Thuney, Glasgow, etc."

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, varjet said:

To keep Robby and Beachum would be over $25m/per year for hold the fort players.  Seems like a lot. 

We really have no choice but bringing back Beachum.  We're not in position to draft a sure-bet franchise LT.  Thus, letting Beachum walk in free agency prior to the draft would be incredibly risky.  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Jenkins, Poole, Beachum.

My # 4 would be Alex Lewis.  

No, Robby is not in my top 4.  

Same top 3 (and #4) for me.

I'd like to have Robby back - but I think he's gone. There's a shortage of WRs in FA, so he is going to get paid. Likely more than we want to pay and, probably, more than he is worth.

• Upvote 1

None.

I believe almost every single player on that list can and should be upgraded.

At best, a few of the O-linemen might be worth it as 2nd stringers at best.

Let em' walk.  Rebuild the team by spending elsewhere and drafting.

Reason #101 why I don't give Adams a huge cap sucking deal.  We'll need that money to sign other free agents to upgrade the overall roster.

38 minutes ago, Warfish said:

None.

I believe almost every single player on that list can and should be upgraded.

At best, a few of the O-linemen might be worth it as 2nd stringers at best.

Let em' walk.  Rebuild the team by spending elsewhere and drafting.

Reason #101 why I don't give Adams a huge cap sucking deal.  We'll need that money to sign other free agents to upgrade the overall roster.

Man, you eat, sleep and breathe thinking about Jamal Adams, don't you? lol

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, varjet said:

To keep Robby and Beachum would be over $25m/per year for hold the fort players.  Seems like a lot. 

I'd probably take Becton at 11, but still think the Jets need to re-sign Beachum.  I'd like to have Anderson back, but IMO he's going to price himself out of the Jets' market.

IMO Bechum is a near must, Anderson a luxury.  

I have been thinking about this some more, so forgive me if this post contradicts any others I have posted.  

I think as a general matter the Jets should focus on the Offense and secondary in FA and the draft.  On defense I would play with whomever is under contract and can be picked up on the scrap heap, other than a FA CB and extending Poole if possible.   Let Gregg W figure out how to make it work, and promise him players next year.  

Defensive Plan:

• Extend Poole
  • FA CB1
  • Cut Roberts, Williamson
  • Do not extend Jenkins
  • Think about even keeping Trumaine if he commits.  We don’t save enough cap space if he can play CB2.  This is a long shot.  

Offensive Plan:

• Extend Beachum
  • Sign a FA G
  • Extend Lewis or sign another G
  • Think about Glasgow for C, because this way you don’t need to use the second round pick for one.
  • Plan A is sign Conklin to play RT.   If Plan A and an LT in the draft, draft him.  Beachum backs up.  Plan B if no Conklin would be to draft an T and have Beachum play LT.  Plan C is Edoga or Qvale at RT.  Hope for Plan A.
  • If we don’t draft a T, then draft the WR.  If we draft a T, draft WRs, RBs, etc. later.
  • Only keep Robbie if transitioned or much less per year for 2-3 years max, with a similar guaranty.  

Poll is trending towards 4 guys as favorites of the Board for being prioritized in Free Agency...

1. CB - Poole

2. LT - Beachum

3A. WR - Anderson

3B. OLB - Jordan Jenkins

Pretty close between Robby Anderson and Jordan Jenkins.  The 5th guy is OG Alex Lewis.  It's not surprising that the priorities seem to be around the Jets 4 biggest need areas - OLine, CB, WR, and Edge/OLB.

8 minutes ago, varjet said:

I have been thinking about this some more, so forgive me if this post contradicts any others I have posted.  

I think as a general matter the Jets should focus on the Offense and secondary in FA and the draft.  On defense I would play with whomever is under contract and can be picked up on the scrap heap, other than a FA CB and extending Poole if possible.   Let Gregg W figure out how to make it work, and promise him players next year.  

Defensive Plan:

• Extend Poole
  • FA CB1
  • Cut Roberts, Williamson
  • Do not extend Jenkins
  • Think about even keeping Trumaine if he commits.  We don’t save enough cap space if he can play CB2.  This is a long shot.  

Offensive Plan:

• Extend Beachum
  • Draft a RT
  • Sign a FA G
  • Extend Lewis or sign another G
  • Think about Glasgow for C, because this way you don’t need to use the second round pick for one.
  • Plan A is sign Conklin to play RT.  Plan B would be to draft an RT and have Beachum play LT.  Plan C is Edoga or Qvale at RT.  Hope for Plan A.
  • If Plan A and there draftable LT, draft him.  If not, then draft the WR.  If we draft a T, draft WRs, RBs, etc.
  • Only keep Robbie if transitioned or much less per year for 2-3 years max, with a similar guaranty.  

The Jets need to sign an OT and OG in Free Agency.

The Jets need to Draft an OT and OG in the NFL Draft.

I'll get hammered for this but I'm actually okay if Jonathan Harrison is the Center in 2020.  Why?  He was effective (not great) in the second half the season after taking over for Ryan Kalil.  Harrison is smart and consistent, but simply isn't a physically dominant or athletic guy....but he's good enough.  AND, most importantly, Harrison would be better if we can upgrade the OGs on either side of him.  Our OLine was bad because we were asking our average players to help out our bad ones, and it's really our average players who should be getting help from the very good ones.  The Jets simply didn't have anyone very good to lead.

If the Jets can upgrade 2 to 3 OLine spots then I'd be fine if a couple of these guys returned - Beachum, Alex Lewis, Harrison.  We don't want all of those 3 lining up from Left to Center, but we can live with 2 of them if we upgrade the spots next to or between them.

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets need to sign an OT and OG in Free Agency.

The Jets need to Draft an OT and OG in the NFL Draft.

Beachum can be the OT in FA.  I don’t know whether Lewis can be that.  Winters should go.  

Better strategy would be to sign Beachum and Lewis and sign a G.   Then you count on drafting someone who can play at least RT.  Edoga is there to swing backup.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, varjet said:

Beachum can be the OT in FA.  I don’t know whether Lewis can be that.  Winters should go.  

Better strategy would be to sign Beachum and Lewis and sign a G.   Then you count on drafting someone who can play at least RT.  Edoga is there to swing backup.

If the Jets could bring back Beachum and Lewis, sign an OG like Scherff and/or a C/OG like Glasgow then that gets the ball rolling and minimizes the true need in the Draft.  I'd still want at least 2 offensive linemen taken in the first 4 picks (3 rounds), but signing Beachum takes the pressure off having to find an immediate starting LT in the Draft.  In fact, the best scenario would be bringing Beachum back and drafting a guy like Tristan Wirfs who I believe can play both Left and Right Tackle.  You start Wirfs at RT for 2020 and potentially move him to LT in 2021.

It would be ideal to have upgraded the OLine just enough in FA that the Jets can keep a straight face and say they have a tentative starting 5 as they head into the Draft.