Report: Cincinnati Bengals listening to trade offers from multiple teams on No. 1 pick

20 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

I’d trade that for a haul. Burrow will not turn out well IMO. Take multiple picks from the Dolphins, take Tua and build with the other picks. 

When you don’t have a Qb and the #1 pick you don’t have a choice imo. Regardless of personal opinion if he’s the consensus you take the qb. Have to imo 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, choon328 said:

Here's a deal for Cincy. Dallas trades Prescott and their 1st for the 1st overall pick? That allows Dallas to take Burrow and keep Cooper and gives the Bengals a franchise QB plus an extra 1st. Win win for both teams. 

I think the general concept is good, and I could see that happening but Dallas would need to give up more draft picks

On 2/10/2020 at 8:32 AM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Burrow is also 23. Darnold, by comparison, is still just 22.

Burrow looked great but the talent he played with and his age are good reasons to be wary.

Sam in college never looked as good as Burrow did last year. And he slightly regressed in 2020. He's not the slam dunk franchise Qb we all thought he was after year one. But he was still pretty good despite games with bad errors. I'll take him I think we have an 8-10 year starter in him. But I'm not 100% sure of that. 

Can we please stop with the #4 OT talk - the rankings are based on scouting and front office incompetence, they have a very low success rate, when was the last time the first guy drafted was the best at his position and how often does that happen?  Was the last HOF class all top 5 picks? (edit looks like Edgerrin James was the #4 pick, Deion is right)

The weatherman (person/people) is correct more often 

3 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Can we please stop with the #4 OT talk - the rankings are based on scouting and front office incompetence, they have a very low success rate, when was the last time the first guy drafted was the best at his position and how often does that happen?  Was the last HOF class all top 5 picks? where any of them?

The weatherman (person/people) is correct more often 

The other consideration is that some teams may have the top 4 OT's rated higher than the #1 guys in any other positions, not counting QB's.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rangers9 said:

Sam in college never looked as good as Burrow did last year. And he slightly regressed in 2020. He's not the slam dunk franchise Qb we all thought he was after year one. But he was still pretty good despite games with bad errors. I'll take him I think we have an 8-10 year starter in him. But I'm not 100% sure of that. 

Question for the board: Where does this fallacy that Darnold regressed in 2020 come from? Because it is overwhelmingly false. 

In point of fact, he improved in almost every metric.

(i.e. higher completion percentage, higher yards per attempt, better TD/INT ratio, better W/L record, etc. The one exception is that he had a slightly lower QBR)

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Question for the board: Where does this fallacy that Darnold regressed in 2020 come from? Because it is overwhelmingly false. 

(i.e. higher completion percentage, higher yards per attempt, better TD/INT ratio, better W/L record, etc. The one exception is that he had a slightly lower QBR)

Stats.People just care about the bottom line W's, and who can blame them. We are all gonna have to be patient here and see what they can put together, as an O, D, and ST's. It's a positive to improve on an individual basis however it's meaningless if it's just that, an individual gain.

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

That is just my opinion not based on anyone else on the board. I thought there were games he made mistakes in that were not in line with what we expect from a developing franchise Qb. I didn't see those amount of errors in year one. Again I still think he's going to be a good one and I would stay with him. He's our starter. But I have more questions than I did in year one. So I'm not talking stats I'm giving an opinion.

41 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Stats.People just care about the bottom line W's, and who can blame them. We are all gonna have to be patient here and see what they can put together, as an O, D, and ST's. It's a positive to improve on an individual basis however it's meaningless if it's just that, an individual gain.

But he also won more games and had a better W/L record. 

you can say a lot of things about Darnold - some positive, some negative.

But I just don’t see how you can say he “regressed” between years 1 and 2. He was at least marginally better.

26 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

That is just my opinion not based on anyone else on the board. I thought there were games he made mistakes in that were not in line with what we expect from a developing franchise Qb. I didn't see those amount of errors in year one. Again I still think he's going to be a good one and I would stay with him. He's our starter. But I have more questions than I did in year one. So I'm not talking stats I'm giving an opinion.

Fair enough. 

I think you just have to keep in mind that he threw fewer interceptions, had a lower interception percentage, and had a higher TD to INT ratio in year 2 compared to year 1. You may not be talking stats, but those stats are the best indicators we have for measuring a QB’s propensity for passing mistakes. 

If you have “more questions” than you did after year 1, I think that’s fair. But I just don’t see a coherent argument for him having regressed. 

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think it's obvious he didn't regress so to speak.

But I definitely agree with the idea that he didn't progress as much as I was expecting and I'm generally less confident in him coming out of 2019 than I was coming out of 2018.

• Upvote 1

Let me just say that despite all of the flack we'e hearing about Macc (and didn't Idzik beat him out in a poll on whose the most incompetent) the trade up for Sam imo was an excellent deal for us. I think we're in a good spot with him there aren't many I'd trade him for.  We all know who those are and we're not getting them. And he was the Qb I was hoping we'd draft. But I have questions based on his play last year. I do like that Gase seems to have confidence in him and visa versa. 

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Fair enough. 

I think you just have to keep in mind that he threw fewer interceptions, had a lower interception percentage, and had a higher TD to INT ratio in year 2 compared to year 1. You may not be talking stats, but those stats are the best indicators we have for measuring a QB’s propensity for passing mistakes. 

If you have “more questions” han you did after year 1, I think that’s fair. But I just don’t see a coherent argument for him having regressed. 

i think it was because of those 2 nightmare games v NE/JAX... then losing to winless Phins..   THAT was when REGRESS was legit...

he scrabbled back to play decent over the last 8...     the minimal improvement where a JUMP was the expectation...

or his PROGESS not being as great/large as expected...  has a regress "feel" to it...   thats how i'd express it

• Upvote 1

On 2/12/2020 at 6:19 PM, choon328 said:

Here's a deal for Cincy. Dallas trades Prescott and their 1st for the 1st overall pick? That allows Dallas to take Burrow and keep Cooper and gives the Bengals a franchise QB plus an extra 1st. Win win for both teams. 

as if Dak would go to CInci...        wake up

23 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

i think it was because of those 2 nightmare games v NE/JAX... then losing to winless Phins..   THAT was when REGRESS was legit...

he scrabbled back to play decent over the last 8...     the minimal improvement where a JUMP was the expectation...

or his PROGESS not being as great/large as expected...  has a regress "feel" to it...   thats how i'd express it

The last GM stunted Darnolds growth by not getting any of the necessary pieces needed to protect him.  Once the GM failed last off-season in FA and the draft it was quite obvious that a substantial jump from Darnold was not possible. Add in the early season mono and its astonishing that he progressed at all.  

On 2/10/2020 at 8:06 AM, greenwichjetfan said:

Funny, these are the two things I’ve been saying for much of the season and started getting really annoying about after the championship. Still, people think I’m in left field by myself. That’s fine.

The bengals have a lot of needs and should absolutely be sellers this offseason because they will likely get a haul that could set them up well in the near future. 

The really scary thing to me is the massive leap between 2018 and 2019.

image.png.d9dd4a846d63b3314084970eaae2829d.png

The guy goes from mid-round nobody to the greatest QB season of all time and the 1st overall pick... What changed? Not the LSU talent. It was the scheme. Which makes you think he's only going to reach his potential in an offense perfectly tailored to him.

The likelihood of that with the Cincinnati Bengals? (Or Adam Gase?)  Not great.

• Upvote 1

This is the deal. What the Bengals are thinking is they won't be good next year and need to get some better players.  Now they need to get a haul for a player like Burrows. Not only did he win the Heisman but he looked great doing it while leading his team to be an undefeated National Champion.  Doing all three is a rare thing. So the Bengals should ask a lot.  Now if they could get a good player and multiple top picks this year and next than maybe you pull the trigger. But people this player is no fluke You put a decent to good offensive line in front of him he will carve you up.    

8 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

Sam was never 23 in college. That was the point.

On 2/10/2020 at 4:09 PM, TNJet said:

No, most likely we get the second best, which is Wirfs. If we are extremely lucky, Thomas might still be there.

I'm really hoping that everyone gets cute with analytics this year and somehow think that these other tackles are better than Thomas. I would love for him to slip to us. It would be a no brainer for me. I love that guy. Wirfs and Becton would be easy picks for me too but Thomas is the guy imo. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 2/9/2020 at 9:59 PM, jetstream23 said:

This is par for the course.  You ALWAYS listen to offers.  I doubt the Bengals move off the #1 spot though.  There are few teams that need a QB more than Cincinnati....they hired an offensive coach last year.  He now gets the pick of any QB in the Draft.  Bengals fans would lose their minds if they screw up this Draft.  Perhaps if the Bengals have a couple of guys rated very, very closely (Burrow, Tua, etc.) they consider moving down to #2 or #3, but I don't see it happening.

yep.  i'm guessing a lot of these teams have already been playing out draft scenarios and trade scenarios.  they've also been contacting potential free agents and trades long before this.  and as others have pointed out, drafting a guy like burrow but not having a decent team around him can end up badly.

On 2/14/2020 at 5:06 PM, Tony The Wiz said:

This is the deal. What the Bengals are thinking is they won't be good next year and need to get some better players.  Now they need to get a haul for a player like Burrows. Not only did he win the Heisman but he looked great doing it while leading his team to be an undefeated National Champion.  Doing all three is a rare thing. So the Bengals should ask a lot.  Now if they could get a good player and multiple top picks this year and next than maybe you pull the trigger. But people this player is no fluke You put a decent to good offensive line in front of him he will carve you up.    

So the defenses, pass rushers, CBs, safeties that Burrow torched in college are completely similar in talent level that he played in college? He looks like he could be a good one but probably not in his rookie year.