Ravens Safety Chuck Clark - 3 years $16

BCJet

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

If you think Adams is as well known and discussed nationally as J.J. Watt, great.  

I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong suit but I specifically mentioned JJ Watt as a player that is better known than Adams.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

If you think Darnold is as well known and discussed nationally as Mahomes or Watson, great.  

:-k

Of course, I said no such thing. I just said that every starting QB in the NFL is well known by people who follow football. Nobody who follows the league doesn't know who Sam Darnold is. Same goes for Derek Carr, Carson Wentz, Josh Allen, and Jacoby Brissett. If you're a football fan you know those names and can place what team they're on with ease.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Exactly.  Two starting Safeties hitting FA at the same time.  Classic Maccagnan roster build failure. You want to see Twitter explode?  Imagine Joe Douglas extending Maye before he extends Adams! lol

I like Maye and he's worth extending, but that pick should have been RB Dalvin Cook in Round 2.  It was so obvious.  Again, I like Maye but now here we are with two Safeties to extend and having just paid a Billion $$ to sign Le'Veon Bell at RB when we could have had Dalvin Cook on a 2nd round rookie deal.  Unbelievable.

Maye played really well last year and overall has been an excellent second round pick.  There were character concerns with Dalvin Cook and Joe Mixon, both apparently not relevant today.   Curtis Samuel and Ethan Pocic were also good picks there, although there were a lot of duds.  

The right answer almost is to trade Maye now to someone who will extend him, and then draft a cheaper cover safety to replace him.  Otherwise the plan will be to run his contract out and then replace him with a draft pick.  I don’t see the Jets paying $25mm for their two safeties.  

• Upvote 1

:Strong safety posts ~65 tackles, 7-9 PDs, one picks, and a few tackles for loss:

Ravens: “Here’s five mil per for a couple years. You’re lucky to play here. Take it or leave it.”

Jets: “Good lord, sire, please allow us to give you Eli Manning money for we cannot  afford to  lose you and your otherworldly impact.” 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

That's not true at all. He's a top ten pick and multiple time Pro Bowler. Whether or not he's a "household name" depends on what kind of household you live in but he's definitely "famous" by the standards of any NFL defensive player...

Agreed... the average NFL fan knows who he is. A GREAT player that unfortunately was picked before Mahommes and Watson when the team was sitting on McCown. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Doesn't matter.

I don't live in Seattle but I know who Bobby Wagner is.

I don't live in Arizona but I know who Chandler Jones is.

I don't live in Buffalo but I know who Tredavious White is.

Why? Because they're stud All-Pro players and I'm an avid football fan. Do you think those guys are "famous?" Because they are, and so is Jamal Adams.

The Jets suck and aren't relevant nationally but any football fan who knows anything knows who Sam Darnold, Leveon Bell, Jamal Adams and CJ Mosely are.

You forgot Christian Hackenberg......  :)

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Jamal had a few more tackles than this guy and fewer PDs. Granted Jamal racked up five sacks against the Redskins and Giants rookie QBs to get to 6.5, but it is amusing the Ravens—an historically well run team—are locking up a similarly productive player to Adams for three years for less than Jamal will command in one year. It’s really a terrific metaphor for why the Ravens are the Ravens and the Jets are the Jets

That's equivalent to comparing Jordan Jenkins 8 sacks to Khalil Mack 8.5 while totally ignoring impact? 

12 hours ago, Warfish said:

Funny, that's exactly what most folks say down here when they hear the name Jamal Adams.

All-Pro or not, Adams isn't exactly a household name outside the bubble.

Down where? Communist Cuba?

I live in Wisconsin and I hear about Jamal Adams on the local radio fairly frequently. He's one of the only three players (along with Darnold and Bell) who people associate with the Jets.

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

And no, I almost never hear Sam or Adams talk.  They're just not national figures in my experiences of watching/listening.

The starting QB of the Jets isn't a national figure?

Yeah, agree to disagree on that one. 

10 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Down where? Communist Cuba?

I live in Wisconsin and I hear about Jamal Adams on the local radio fairly frequently.

If you say so.

I live in the Nation's Capital, and I never, ever hear Jamal Adams' or Sam Darnold's name here.  Not on ESPN radio.  Not on NFL radio.  And certainly not on any local sports radio.  The Jets as a whole, and Adams and Sam specifically, and non-entities as far as my sports radio consumption is concerned.

He's one of the only three players (along with Darnold and Bell) who people associate with the Jets.

And people outside New York stared caring about and talking about the Jets.......when, exactly?  Oh right, they talk about the Jets....in Wisconsin.  Regularly.  Got it.

The starting QB of the Jets isn't a national figure?

No, he absolutely isn't.  Brady, Big Ben, Rivers, Mahomes, Watson, Brees, etc. those are National Figures.  Sam is not.  He's famous in NY, he's just another guy outside there. 

Well, maybe in Wisconsin he's a huge famous guy and daily sports media story, I'll just have to take your work on that......

Yeah, agree to disagree on that one. 

Agreed (to disagree).

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

If you say so.

I live in the Nation's Capital, and I never, ever hear Jamal Adams' or Sam Darnold's name here.  Not on ESPN radio.  Not on NFL radio.  And certainly not on any local sports radio.  The Jets as a whole, and Adams and Sam specifically, and non-entities as far as my sports radio consumption is concerned.

And people outside New York stared caring about and talking about the Jets.......when, exactly?  Oh right, they talk about the Jets....in Wisconsin.  Regularly.  Got it.

No, he absolutely isn't.  Brady, Big Ben, Rivers, Mahomes, Watson, Brees, etc. those are National Figures.  Sam is not.  He's famous in NY, he's just another guy outside there. 

Well, maybe in Wisconsin he's a huge famous guy and daily sports media story, I'll just have to take your work on that......

Agreed (to disagree).

If you don't think Darnold and Adams are "famous," then I'm confident we define that word very differently. The guys you explicitly mentioned are mostly superstars. We are simply talking about fame, here. 

You seem to be the only person in this thread who is having a hard time believing that the starting quarterback and 1st team all-pro safety of an NFL team (a New York team, at that) are well known around the country. 

You never hear Darnold's name on ESPN radio? haha, ok dude. Sure. Sure.

I can't imagine that DC radio mentioned Darnold getting mono (minor story, really), or his performance against Dallas (it's not like most of the country watched that game or anything), or his performance against NE in the (now infamous) nationally televised "ghosts" game the following week (another minor story). That totally makes sense. 

Maybe you DC people heard about Darnold when he put up 34 points in Washington? But probably not. He's such a small figure. ?

Anyway, I'll leave this discussion here.

Enjoy free agency and the draft. I hope you guys get to here about it in DC. 

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

But what’s the strong safety equivalent of teams using their tight ends to double team Mack on every play? 

That exactly goes with my point of not going by stats (or production) and more so impact as there's things that don't show up in the boxscore. Chuck Clark graded out on par with Marcus Mayes however in your previous post you're linking his play with Adam's due to stats. That's equivalent to me taking Jordan or anyone else racking up 8 sacks and around 40 tackles and telling one the Bears had cheaper options with the same production as Mack.

On 2/10/2020 at 10:05 AM, Warfish said:

Funny, that's exactly what most folks say down here when they hear the name Jamal Adams.

All-Pro or not, Adams isn't exactly a household name outside the bubble.

You might need to hang with people who have a passing interest in football. lol

Brady, Big Ben, Rivers, Mahomes, Watson, Brees, etc. those are National Figures.  Sam is not.  He's famous in NY, he's just another guy outside there. 

Well 4 HOF long time vet QBs, a MVP SB winning QB and one more are more famous? 

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

If you don't think Darnold and Adams are "famous," then I'm confident we define that word very differently.

How do you define it?

I define it as being a constant presence and discussion topic on sports radio across the country, including and especially outside the home market.

I define it as being a "reference guy" for non-local teams, i.e. when discussing QB's, or good QB's, or the best QB's someone says "well, he's not Tom Brady" or "he's a cheap JJ Watts", etc.  I never hear Sam Darnold's name in those kind of discussions.

I define it by how often the player in question comes up in discussion outside of giving the scores of games just played.  Of course they come up, briefly, on Monday when radio gives a rundown of game results, or after a MNF game blowout. 

But do they come up Wed. afternoon too?  Famous players do, often and regularly, on national and non-local media.

Do you think local DC radio is talking about Sam Darnold on a Wed. afternoon?  Or Jamal Adams?  

If you think so, great.  Like the ad says, your experiences may vary.

The guys you explicitly mentioned are mostly superstars. We are simply talking about fame, here. 

I'm not talking fame.  I'm talking coverage.

How many minutes (outside of scoring and game result updates) does Sam or Jamal get in national or non-NY media markets?

Compare that with how many minutes a Mahomes, Watson, Watts, etc. get.   

I can't imagine that DC radio mentioned Darnold getting mono (minor story, really), or his performance against Dallas (it's not like most of the country watched that game or anything), or his performance against NE in the (now infamous) nationally televised "ghosts" game the following week (another minor story). That totally makes sense. 

I recall the mono story getting a partial segment on local sports radio mocking it (and us).  Same for the Ghosts thing.  The Dallas game was discussed same as any and all MNF result was, then quickly forgotten.  

The fact that we've been a pathetic non-contender for over a decade plays a part too, of course.

Enjoy free agency and the draft. I hope you guys get to here about it in DC. 

Well, I always have JN to fall back on so no worries here.

25 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I also live "in our Nation's Capital."  I hear about Adams all the time and plenty about Darnold.

By all means, tell me where?  I listen every day to ESPN (the National Feed on Sirius) and NFL Radio (on Sirius), and the Junkies (106.7 The Fan) on the drive in in the morning and WTEM 980 in the evenings.

What station are you getting all this wall-to-wall Jets Talk down here?

I will admit the local media doesn't mention them much, but even there I heard more about Adams than Chuck Clark and he is on one of the local teams.  

Baltimore is not a local team.  

Again, please educate me, I'd LOVE to hear more Jets talk.  What radio station are you getting all this Adams coverage on?

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

By all means, tell me where?  I listen every day to ESPN (the National Feed on Sirius) and NFL Radio (on Sirius), and the Junkies (106.7 The Fan) on the drive in in the morning and WTEM 980 in the evenings.

Why would they be talking about any Jet player on local DC radio?

What does that have to do with football fans not knowing who Sam Darnold and especially Jamal Adams is?

Local radio in NY or in Fl don't regularly discuss Redskins football but I know who their QB is and know more than a few names like Haskins, Sweat, Keenum, Collins, etc on their roster.  Think that's the logic at work here

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why would they be talking about any Jet player on local DC radio?

Local radio doesn't just talk about the Redskins, they talk about the league as well.

Why do they talk about great and legit famous players from other markets on local radio?  Because they're great.  

29 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Local radio in NY or in Fl don't regularly discuss Redskins football but I know who their QB is and know more than a few names like Haskins, Sweat, Keenum, Collins, etc on their roster.  Think that's the logic at work here

Again, the difference between regular references, discussion and coverage and a rare passing occasional reference or only while giving a game result.

WE all know all these guys, we're all obsessive fans.  

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Local radio doesn't just talk about the Redskins, they talk about the league as well.

Why do they talk about great and legit famous players from other markets on local radio?  Because they're great.  

Again, the difference between regular references, discussion and coverage and a rare passing occasional reference or only while giving a game result.

WE all know all these guys, we're all obsessive fans.  

And again, NY radio doesn't talk Redskin football, anymore than DC radio talks Jets football.

That has absolutely nothing to do with fans not knowing players on teams out of markets players.

• Upvote 1

Started reading this board about 3 years ago because there seemed to be a lot of activity and decent knowledge.  

That someone can claim with a straight face most people where they live have never heard of Jamal Adams speaks volumes to that person's affinity for his own opinion and even more about the state of what this board has become. 

Jamal Adams is a great player.  Whether you like him or not I can't see how you can argue otherwise.  I do think based on where the franchise is at this moment, I'd rather have more draft capital than to lock him up long term to a record setting contract.

That doesn't change the fact that you have to be beyond absurd to claim he isn't a household name in NFL circles. Get the hell over yourself.  What a disgrace.

• Upvote 1

On 2/10/2020 at 10:23 AM, Warfish said:

If you say so.

The only time I hear his name is during Jets games and........yep, that's pretty much it.

He gets zero national airtime, and most certainly no airtime in non-NY markets.

But sure, he's "famous".  Inside the bubble I guess.

I bet you think Sam Darnold is famous too.  ?

I live in NC these days.  When I wear Jets green strangers talk to me about Darnold.  I was in Atlanta recently and people talked to me about Darnold when i was wearing a Jets hat.  I struck up a football conversation with strangers at a convention in New Orleans last month and they talked about Darnold when I mentioned I was a Jets fan.  Yeah, nobody who watches football ever heard of a starting QB who was a highly touted college player and high draft pick...

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Jets512 said:

Started reading this board about 3 years ago because there seemed to be a lot of activity and decent knowledge.  

That someone can claim with a straight face most people where they live have never heard of Jamal Adams speaks volumes to that person's affinity for his own opinion and even more about the state of what this board has become. 

Jamal Adams is a great player.  Whether you like him or not I can't see how you can argue otherwise.  I do think based on where the franchise is at this moment, I'd rather have more draft capital than to lock him up long term to a record setting contract.

That doesn't change the fact that you have to be beyond absurd to claim he isn't a household name in NFL circles. Get the hell over yourself.  What a disgrace.

People on JN routinely pick the strangest hills to die on.

It is kind if an odd idea that people outside of NY, who claim to be football fans, don't know who the stud QB at USC was, who was the 3rd pick in his draft class and the top prospect of that class.  The most touted QB draft class in years.

I'm not buying it.  When I'm in Florida and get into a Jet conversation they always bring up Sam.  

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

What station are you getting all this wall-to-wall Jets Talk down here?

Baltimore is not a local team.  

Again, please educate me, I'd LOVE to hear more Jets talk.  What radio station are you getting all this Adams coverage on?

I said national.  Local media here barely covers sports unless you watch that show on Sunday night after the news.  Any one of the twenty ESPNs and NFL network.  Both extensively covered whether Adams was getting traded and I must have seen his pro bowl antics 3,000 times.  Darnold's mono was covered ad nauseam.  They also were talking about his resurgence when they went for 34 three games in a row and consistently comparing the class of 2018 every ******* week.

If you think the Ravens aren't a local team, you must be color blind.  3/4 of the metro is wearing purple and I don't use satellite radio to pick up the Ravens station, it came in perfectly clear from when I started the car in underground garage in Old Town. Still heard more about Darnold and Adams than Clark.   

47 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

@T0mShane  is the Chuck Clark of JetNation. Who the fook is that guy? 

He is the 6th round draft pick that has the same # of interceptions as PREZ Jamal in his 14 games started vs jamals 46 games started, oh yeah he had two less combined tackles than jamal in two less games started.

That is who Chuck Clark is.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

He is the 6th round draft pick that has the same # of interceptions as PREZ Jamal in his 14 games started vs jamals 46 games started, oh yeah he had two less combined tackles than jamal in two less games started.

That is who Chuck Clark is.

OMG you just killed joewilly12. 

• Haha 1