Prediction: Bitcoin Will Hit $100,000 by the end of 2021

On 2/10/2020 at 11:01 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

The next halvening will be May 14th of 2020. After the first halvening, the price peaked at over 9000% above the price at the halvening date over the next year and a half. After the second halvening, the price peaked at nearly 3000% above the price at the halvening date over the next year and a half. I predict a 1000-2000% increase this time with around a 10K starting point on May 14.

If you don't know what the halvening is, basically it is a reduction of the reward for mining bitcoin by 1/2. So the amount being generated daily is cut in half at the halvening. 

You are welcome.

Are we rich yet ?

8 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You'd be up about 60% if you bought the day that post was made and have had opportunity to sell at much greater gains.

You would have DOUBLED your money in the same period with AMZN, quadrupled it with Tesla, and up about 40-50 percent on something like Woody's family biz, JNJ, all the while collecting a dividend from JNJ.

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

You would have DOUBLED your money in the same period with AMZN, quadrupled it with Tesla, and up about 40-50 percent on something like Woody's family biz, JNJ, all the while collecting a dividend from JNJ.

yes over this period bitcoin is not the biggest gainer, which is unusual and also why you see people in here dunking. they weren't here dunking when you would have been up over 6x. let's see how it goes as we get closer to the next halving in 2024 and QT turns towards QE.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

yes over this period bitcoin is not the biggest gainer, which is unusual and also why you see people in here dunking. they weren't here dunking when you would have been up over 6x. let's see how it goes as we get closer to the next halving in 2024 and QT turns towards QE.

As you know, I have been negative on Cripto from the beginning.  So at least I am consistent.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

As you know, I have been negative on Cripto from the beginning.  So at least I am consistent.

you have.

Just one thing. There is bitcoin and there is crypto. Everything that is not bitcoin is what they refer to as crypto - crypto is all a scam worse than fiat. I know you are negative on all of it, but it's an important distinction to make.

• Upvote 1

On 11/12/2022 at 8:39 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

I still believe every word of what I said. What you're seeing happen today is the beginning of the end of the USD as the world reserve currency. The dollars value is still up today because of the current monetary policy but that will end, as it always does.

hoping it drops to 14k so I can make another big buy

have you sold any Bitcoin since you started this thread?  curious as if it's a trading idea or just LT hold.

where do you "hold' your bitcoin?

4 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

have you sold any Bitcoin since you started this thread?  curious as if it's a trading idea or just LT hold.

where do you "hold' your bitcoin?

No but I have bought every week (scheduled auto buy). I'm not a trader, it's long term saving for me.

I use a hardware wallet, so I hold my own. Everyone should or all you hold is an IOU that can go bye bye at any moment (see FTX).

39 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

No but I have bought every week (scheduled auto buy). I'm not a trader, it's long term saving for me.

I use a hardware wallet, so I hold my own. Everyone should or all you hold is an IOU that can go bye bye at any moment (see FTX).

agree re ftx.  some people going to get hurt bad and i don't think most people spend much time on that risk factor.

if you don't mind, how much of your investible net worth do you have in Bitcoin?

10 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

agree re ftx.  some people going to get hurt bad and i don't think most people spend much time on that risk factor.

if you don't mind, how much of your investible net worth do you have in Bitcoin?

not really something I care to get into really. are you going somewhere with this line of questioning?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

not really something I care to get into really. are you going somewhere with this line of questioning?

totally understand!  (i was just looking for a percentage, not an absolute amount - if that wasn't clear)

just wanted to get a sense for how folks who believe in bitcoin are sizing the opportunity.   big difference in conviction level of 5% allocation versus 50% allocation.

4 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

totally understand!  (i was just looking for a percentage, not an absolute amount - if that wasn't clear)

just wanted to get a sense for how folks who believe in bitcoin are sizing the opportunity.   big difference in conviction level of 5% allocation versus 50% allocation.

I got that. I would never recommend anyone just follow what I do - we all have our own levels of acceptable risk and my sn is barry mccockinner. I will just say my percentage is probably considered extreme.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I got that. I would never recommend anyone just follow what I do - we all have our own levels of acceptable risk and my sn is barry mccockinner. I will just say my percentage is probably considered extreme.

got it, you have conviction.  that's good.

i hear guys go on and on about bitcoin then you realize they have like 3% of net worth in it.  Big deal if it goes to zero.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, batman10023 said:

got it, you have conviction.  that's good.

i hear guys go on and on about bitcoin then you realize they have like 3% of net worth in it.  Big deal if it goes to zero.

yea no, it sucks hard when you watch it drop 70% but you somehow become immune to it after a couple of cycles. At this point I'm almost immune to it and actually kind of look forward to lower prices to make extra buys. It's kind of crazy.

24 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

yea no, it sucks hard when you watch it drop 70% but you somehow become immune to it after a couple of cycles. At this point I'm almost immune to it and actually kind of look forward to lower prices to make extra buys. It's kind of crazy.

it has dropped but it also went up like 3x or something like that in the recent past.

i always sell a little of stuff as it's moving up so i can lock in gains and give myself some room to repurchase.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

it has dropped but it also went up like 3x or something like that in the recent past.

i always sell a little of stuff as it's moving up so i can lock in gains and give myself some room to repurchase.

I wish I had the balls to do that. I think about it and always freak out and think it will spike 10,000% the second I try to get tricky to acquire more.

9 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You have been spot on with this, hold your own wallet you have been saying that forever.

This week certainly proves that right. Not even debatable. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Maxman said:

@Barry McCockinner one question for you, if I sell my Bitcoin can I buy both boats and ho's with it? Or is it deregulated to the point where I can only buy one or the other?

I will hang up now and listen to your answer on the radio.  :)

I guess I'm missing the boats and hos joke but I'll just say this. The problem with selling is it's a taxable event. 

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

@Barry McCockinner one question for you, if I sell my Bitcoin can I buy both boats and ho's with it? Or is it deregulated to the point where I can only buy one or the other?

I will hang up now and listen to your answer on the radio.  :)

I believe the legality of buying ho's varies from state to state.

Boats, you should be good to go in NJ or elsewhere.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I guess I'm missing the boats and hos joke but I'll just say this. The problem with selling is it's a taxable event. 

Ah its kind of from the Movies Step Brothers. They did a rap video with that title. That's all.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/14/2022 at 7:21 AM, Barry McCockinner said:

What percentage of your bitcoin can you use as collatoral on a loan vs a stock like J&J?  Can you borrow at the same rate or are you going to pay more for the loan than you would with other assetts.  Based on the instability of the assets price how concerned should you be about a margin call if you want to borrow money from your net worth in Bitcoin while still holding the assett?  

7 minutes ago, Biggs said:

What percentage of your bitcoin can you use as collatoral on a loan vs a stock like J&J?  Can you borrow at the same rate or are you going to pay more for the loan than you would with other assetts.  Based on the instability of the assets price how concerned should you be about a margin call if you want to borrow money from your net worth in Bitcoin while still holding the assett?  

No idea how that works for a stock. I looked into it for bitcoin once and when I realized you can get margin called it was a no for me. I think most , if not all, of the lenders that would even do this have gone under lately. You also wouldn't be holding our own keys if you did this so just a bad idea all around from my pov.

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

No idea how that works for a stock. I looked into it for bitcoin once and when I realized you can get margin called it was a no for me. I think most , if not all, of the lenders that would even do this have gone under lately. You also wouldn't be holding our own keys if you did this so just a bad idea all around from my pov.

Just something to consider.  Having investments that can't be margined would be a huge negative for me.  I left my company and started a business years ago.  The credit for the business is personally guaranteed.  My stock portfolio was able to be collatoralized.  Owning an assett that can't be collatoralized would have made me a slave to my former employer, reduced my earning capacity and my net worth 18 years later would be considerably less than it is.  

I suspect if you could collatorlize Bitcoin and had I done it I would have been getting huge margin calls and my business wouldn't be able to borrow and continue to operate.  My net worth in Bitcoin would have been destroyed and my business would be bankrupted.

In the last 5 years many homes have been bought for cash.  By cash I mean not with a mortgage contingency.  Much of that cash is margined against other assetts.  

It's not just about gains in your portfolio it's about being able to use your net worth productively.  There's no doubt margin on securities is dangerous and needs to be at a level where the likelyhood of a call is low.  In the case of highly volatile assetts like Bitcoin it would seem absurdly dangerous.  

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...