SOJF Slur - Kettle ......

JetsLife

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

When all teams, even playoff teams, play weak competition what is paramount are W's, not who the W's came against.

So losing against the Bengals and Dolphins was bad.  Got it.

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Bills and Patriots each finished 4-4, FYI.

And made the playoffs.  And won 10 or more games.

I'd rather finish 4-4 and win 10+ games and be in the playoffs than finish 6-2 and finish 7-9.

What about you?

57 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Well I think we have your first mistake.  No one follows and roots for a team every Sunday for 30+ years if they "hate them".

Sure they do.  Again, you're not a Mets fan so you don't fully understand the Same Old Jets Fan.

58 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Maybe we should ask all those 50+ year Red Sox Fans if they still hated the Red Sox when the finally broke the curse and won.  (Psst, they didn't).

Those who were good fans through thick and thin, those who understood the rebuilding periods, those who let their managers have 2-3 years to prove themselves, they fully enjoyed the World Series titles.

But those who were downtrodden SORSF's completely consumed by playing the victim, they weren't as happy.  Once you identify as a loser, once you have nothing but expectations of losing, once you give up on your ownership, once you go 0-4 and have the audacity to scream for a new head coaches head, its no longer about the Jets.  It's about you.

SAR I

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So losing against the Bengals and Dolphins was bad.  Got it.

Beating the Bengals and Dolphins would mean the Jets would have had an 8-1 finish after a 1-6 start, completely unrealistic. 

Given the choice, I'd rather have wins against the Raiders and Steelers.  It means more for team psyche.  Proves that even beat-up we have a head coach and quarterback who can get the job done against average NFL teams, a necessary step for an ascending AFC contender.

12 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And made the playoffs.  And won 10 or more games.

I'd rather finish 4-4 and win 10+ games and be in the playoffs than finish 6-2 and finish 7-9.

What about you?

The point is that the two playoff teams in our division didn't elevate their games late in the season.  A contributing factor to their pathetic playoff performances.  The carryover for the Pats and Bills is that they were .500 teams for half the season and got demolished in the postseason.  The carryover for the Jets is that they were 6-2 and a team on the rise.  I'd rather be the Jets today than the Patriots or the Bills. 

What about you?

SAR I

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Too funny.  This is exactly my point.  That the 6-2 finish isn't predictive of future success.  I just did it with more detail, and I did so in the context of saying that you're not being overly pessimistic if you don't believe that 6-2 IS predictive of future success.

Unfortunately, good sir, by the confines of SAR (and other's) argument, you are a SOJF.  Welcome to the club.  We have cheap beer, taquitos, and mini hot dogs.  Take off your boots, we're not animals here.

So what's sop funny, I agree

But Im not taking it the extra step and saying it didnt happen or doesn't help from a mindset to you just have to learn how to win.  Believe in it or not.

Maybe that keeps me at least on the onset of SOJFdom? LOL

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Psst.....New York isn't the only place on earth with Jobs.

And money is vastly over-rated once you reach a certain threshold.

JMO.  Lifestyle > Dolla dolla bills yall.

Oh, I know that.  Though, jobwise, my wife is somewhat niche, and has a great job at the moment, so hard to move from that, and I have an established business, so it's hard to start over.  That said, we are happy here.  It's just financially difficult, despite making what, by most standards, is a ton of money.  Also, family is here.  So, I don't really see us going anywhere.  I'm not terribly stressed about it.  Maybe I could work a bit less, but it's not really in my DNA anyway.  We're fine.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So what's sop funny, I agree

But Im not taking it the extra step and saying it didnt happen or doesn't help from a mindset to you just have to learn how to win.  Believe in it or not.

Maybe that keeps me at least on the onset of SOJFdom? LOL

Arguing against someone you agree with is what's so funny...

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

@TeddEY @CTM is moving south a possibility?  My commute to work (in downtown Wilmington, NC) is 15 minutes and the wife and I live fairly comfortably.  Renting a 3-bedroom house for $1,200 a month and are getting prepared to buy soon.  Raleigh and Charlotte are solid options.  @southparkcpa can tell you all about that.  Greenville, SC is another good one.

Of course we don't have kids yet, so I have no leg to stand on with that.  And the public schools in NC aren't good, so we'll have to worry about that down the road.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

The Public Schools (K-12) aren't that good, as a whole, in New York.  They're rated middle of the road in the U.S. (25th).

NC is rated 28th, so they're worse, but perhaps not by as much as you think.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/education

I sent my kids to private school BUT my GF sent hers to public. Marvin Ridge where the top 10 percent of the class scored 1400 plus on the SAT's. Her kids scored 1280 and 1360. So...   the stats are skewed by a lot of things.  BUT  there are many public schools here in Charlotte that send lots of lids to the Ivy's.  

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Sure they do.  Again, you're not a Mets fan so you don't fully understand the Same Old Jets Fan.

Those who were good fans through thick and thin, those who understood the rebuilding periods, those who let their managers have 2-3 years to prove themselves, they fully enjoyed the World Series titles.

But those who were downtrodden SORSF's completely consumed by playing the victim, they weren't as happy.  Once you identify as a loser, once you have nothing but expectations of losing, once you give up on your ownership, once you go 0-4 and have the audacity to scream for a new head coaches head, its no longer about the Jets.  It's about you.

SAR I

I don't think you understand people nearly as well as you think, but /shrug.

I have no doubt that if the Jets win a Super Bowl, no one, not "SOJF", will be ANGRY than they were "wrong".  I find that idea utterly laughable.

57 minutes ago, SAR I said:

The carryover for the Jets is that they were 6-2 and a team on the rise.  I'd rather be the Jets today than the Patriots or the Bills. 

What about you?

SAR I

There is no such thing as "carryover" in the NFL.  Almost nothing about that 6-2 finish will effect the results of the 2020 season.

I'm a Jets Fan, I root for the Jets, so "who do I want to be" is not an appropriate question.  I always want to be the Jets, so much so I cannot play Fantasy Football because all I do is draft Jets because I refuse to root against Jets or for rivals even in Fantasy Football.

Objectively, however, the Jets are currently (on 2/13/20) the worst team in the AFC East.  The Dolphins, borderline equally bad, have more assets with which to improve.  The Bills and Pats (even a Brady-less Pats) are clearly superior teams as of today.

What I hope, what I root for, is that our new GM makes the right moves to change things materially, so come opening day, we are a competitive team that can start better than 1-7 and with an offense that does not finish dead last.  We have sufficient assets with which to make that kind of improvement.  So we'll see.

23 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Oh, I know that.  Though, jobwise, my wife is somewhat niche, and has a great job at the moment, so hard to move from that, and I have an established business, so it's hard to start over.  That said, we are happy here.  It's just financially difficult, despite making what, by most standards, is a ton of money.  Also, family is here.  So, I don't really see us going anywhere.  I'm not terribly stressed about it.  Maybe I could work a bit less, but it's not really in my DNA anyway.  We're fine.

DC isn't NY, but it isn't too far away on these issues, so I feel you.  It's crazy being a "1%'er" or similar, and feeling some days like you're barely getting by.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, CTM said:

Millennials are flocking to cities anyway, suburbs are drying up from a real estate perspective. I wonder if/when that bounces back, The situation with rent is out of control in urban areas, the % of income millennial pay in rent is untenable at this point and they can't build fast enough.

My ex gf and her friends are in brooklyn and they spend all their money on rent and bars, Crazy to me

Even as an investor it's tough as the cap rates are really low. You have to get refurb tax deals which have been handed out like candy for it to even work

My last two stops had among the most expensive apartment prices in the world. Couldn’t afford it if I wasn’t on an ex pat contract with housing allowance.

48 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There is no such thing as "carryover" in the NFL.  Almost nothing about that 6-2 finish will effect the results of the 2020 season.

That's funny, as a Rangers fan I've seen my team improve year over year and take steps towards a Championship at least 3 times in my life, once we won the Cup, once we came close, and now we're ascending and may make the playoffs as the youngest team in the NHL.  Yankees.  Same thing.  Plenty of roster turnover, plenty of new faces, but the core of the team and the coaching staff remain intact and learn and grow together.

The Jets?  There's a reason that to date there has been no carryover with the Jets.  Bad management, bad decisions, coaches and GM's out of sync, no franchise quarterback, I can see why you think it doesn't exist in the NFL.  It does.  The 2020 Jets will show you this rather clearly.

SAR I

46 minutes ago, Warfish said:

DC isn't NY, but it isn't too far away on these issues, so I feel you.  It's crazy being a "1%'er" or similar, and feeling some days like you're barely getting by.

I think the reality is if you dont have a bunch of non mortgage debt you are doing great comparatively. The CC debt some people have is obscene.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

The Public Schools (K-12) aren't that good, as a whole, in New York.  They're rated middle of the road in the U.S. (25th).

NC is rated 28th, so they're worse, but perhaps not by as much as you think.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/education

There was certainly a benefit of having the small districts in the suburbs surrounding NYC and attending school there. However things have just spiraled with retirements and now having 5 Superintendents within 10 miles of one another just was never going to be sustainable. You look at some of those property taxes and it’s beyond comprehension. Math and science aren’t that much different in Bronxville compared to other areas of the country.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So coming off the brilliant 6-2 finish, if carryover exists, surely we're a lock for an impressive win opening day.  Right?

124JETS.jpg

Depends on who we play opening day.  Our home schedule is cake.  Let's hope we get one of those.

SAR I

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

I’m surprised it’s only 12-4.  That doesn’t represent any off season improvement after The 6-2 Finish TM.

* Beat the easy teams on our home schedule.

* Split the road trips to the West coast.

* Sweep the Bills and Dolphins.

* Split with the Patriots.

* Go 2-4 against teams that will finish the year with a winning record.

12-4 is the best I can come up with.  We can win the division at 10-6 so there's wiggle room if we hit a rough patch.

SAR I

21 hours ago, jgb said:

I honestly believe private car ownership is on its way to extinction, excluding the countryside for now. It’s an expensive asset that just sits there unused 95% of the time in your garage or in the parking lot at work. Very inefficient allocation of resources. Robo-cars will be basically the end of it.

I live in LA. We spend 6,528% of our time in our cars. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, SAR I said:

* Beat the easy teams on our home schedule.

* Split the road trips to the West coast.

* Sweep the Bills and Dolphins.

* Split with the Patriots.

* Go 2-4 against teams that will finish the year with a winning record.

12-4 is the best I can come up with.  We can win the division at 10-6 so there's wiggle room if we hit a rough patch.

SAR I

I mean, I was able to read the chart...

I'm just saying, if this is a team on the rise, and The 6-2 FinishTM is indicative of who they are as a team, it seems like we should expect better after a Joe Douglas Draft and a Joe Douglas Free Agency.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, CTM said:

100% + the amount of space we will reclaim when automobiles are mostly shared will be phenomenal . The big issue is that amount of adult males employed by transportation company + the lobbying power of auto industry, all of whom have incentive to not let this happen. It's going to take time for sure but we will get there

we'll be pushing daisies

35 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I mean, I was able to read the chart...

I'm just saying, if this is a team on the rise, and The 6-2 FinishTM is indicative of who they are as a team, it seems like we should expect better after a Joe Douglas Draft and a Joe Douglas Free Agency.

You might be right, and if you want to take it up to 13-3 or 14-2 go right ahead, but I believe 12-4 is our ceiling.  Rome wasn't built in a day.

SAR I