Jeremiahs mock has us going D

kevinc855

i think it's too early to get real concerned over these mock drafts.  first off we don't know who douglas is targeting in free agency or even who will be signed.  if this is such a deep wr class and the jets sign a really good wr in free agency then there's no real point in using their top pick on a wr.  and if the top oline prospects are taken then it makes sense to go after other holes.  imo they will be able to sign 2 oline free agents and 1 wr not including their own free agents.  one factor may also turn out to be whatever renegotiation adams gets.

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

That is why we need to get a decent vet OT in free agency (and/or re-sign Beachum on a 1-year deal), So we are not forced to either trade up or reach for an OT because we don't have an adequate starter on the roster.

You know, it's sad. It's almost like we didn't have a GM in 5 years. Not trying to be funny, but unfortunately , serious.

17 minutes ago, nico002 said:

And I have the Jets taking Jeudy. What exactly does Jeremiah know about the Jets draft in February, that I don’t? In fact, I probably am more well equipped since I’ve watched 10x more Jets ball than he has.

the chalk picks are either wirfs or jeudy, both of these are pure no brainers if they stay at 11.  would they trade back and take someone like josh jones, maybe, but no way are they going defense and i'm sleeping well with that!

• Upvote 1

SI's New York Jets Mock Draft 4.0: All The Picks From Days 1 & 2 Of The NFL Draft

Kristian Dyer

10 hours ago

The NFL Draft is now 10 weeks away. As recent mock drafts have shown, there is no consensusabout what the Jets will do in the first round with pick No. 11.  

Needs at wide receiver and offensive line will likely dictate how the Jets strategize with their first round pick.   

In this mock draft, the Jets go heavy along the offensive line with their first two picks, including landing one of the draft’s best offensive tackle prospects.  

This is a very different outlook than the last mock draft, where the Jets went offensive line then defense with their next two picks.

A look at all the Jets picks from Day 1 and Day 2:  

Round 1 – Pick No. 11  

Andrew Thomas (OT) 

A month ago, Thomas was the consensus top offensive tackle in the draft, Now he falls here to the Jets and is the fourth tackle taken overall (Jedrick Wills is the first offensive tackle at No. 4 to the New York Giants). Tremendous value here for the Jets.  

Why the pick: While not as athletic as Wills or versatile as Tristan Wirfs, the selection of Thomas gives the Jets a building block tackle for the next decade. He is an outstanding pass blocker and improving in his run blocking. The whole line looks different with his talents.  

Round 2 – Pick No. 48  

Jonah Jackson (G)  

The Ohio State guard improved his draft stock dramatically after transferring from Rutgers for his fifth-year. Outstanding interior lineman who can do it all. Impressive athleticism and leadership ability.  

Why the pick: Jackson stood out at the Senior Bowl. While it is risky for the Jets to take two offensive linemen with their first two picks, Jackson is a tough, physical and athletic guard who starts immediately. The Jets line just got significantly younger and more athletic.  

Round 3 – No. 68 

Jaylon Johnson (CB)  

With good length, Johnson is a nice pick for a secondary screaming for more cornerback talent. Johnson played in some big games at Utah and showed consistently well.   

Why the pick: After offensive line, perhaps the weakest position on the Jets roster is cornerback. Johnson has starting ability but will need time. A natural athlete with good reflexes and natural build. There could be some wide receiver talent here but Johnson is a more finished prospect than any of the offensive contenders at this pick. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, section314 said:

I think you are right. This guy sounds like the type of player that you watch tons of film on, watch how he did against the lineman who are going to get drafted, and throw the combine crap out the window. This reminds me of those kids in HS that got 1350 on the SAT, but were C students.......have all the ability, but don't try. No room for guys like that in the NFL.

if they got that score by copying the kid next to them's answers, then there is a place in NE for them

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, section314 said:

I think you are right. This guy sounds like the type of player that you watch tons of film on, watch how he did against the lineman who are going to get drafted, and throw the combine crap out the window. This reminds me of those kids in HS that got 1350 on the SAT, but were C students.......have all the ability, but don't try. No room for guys like that in the NFL.

No room?  Michael Bennett?  How many sacks did Clay Matthews have at USC? I think 11 may be a bit high, but saying there is no room in the NFL for kids like him is way further out there. He tore an ACL in 2018.  He had 6.5 and 13.5 TFL in 2019.  As a senior JJ Watt had 7 and 21.  I understand we aren't drafting the kid for production, but it isn't like the kid did nothing.

Rashan Gary went 12th and I am not so sure the Packers are looking for a do-over. 

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

No room?  Michael Bennett?  How many sacks did Clay Matthews have at USC? I think 11 may be a bit high, but saying there is no room in the NFL for kids like him is way further out there. He tore an ACL in 2018.  He had 6.5 and 13.5 TFL in 2019.  As a senior JJ Watt had 7 and 21.  I understand we aren't drafting the kid for production, but it isn't like the kid did nothing.

Rashan Gary went 12th and I am not so sure the Packers are looking for a do-over. 

Can the Jets get a do-over for Q??

11. Jets – Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy 

The Jets are in a position where they’re likely to go best available at either WR, OT or EDGE. In this scenario, the class’ three-best tackles have all flown off the board, but you’ve got your pick of the receivers in a top-heavy class.

Darnold hasn’t gotten to work with many top-notch receivers going back to his college days. He got one year with JuJu Smith-Schuster his first year as a starter. In his second – his last – Deontay Burnett easily led USC in catches. The rest of the receiving corps was very young. Michael Pittman, who shows up on Day 2 in this mock draft, was a sophomore on that team who had 23 catches.

It would be nice to see Darnold with a true No. 1. And Jeudy is a true-blue No. 1. Killer blend of rocket propulsion movement, Ferrari body control, and pool shark feet. Jeudy is going to be a Freddy Krueger presence for NFL corners for years to come.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Unless they do something spectacular in free agency, the Jets simply have to draft an OL.  There definitely should be a quality offensive lineman when the Jets pick.  They have neglected this position too long.  I've stated the obvious but it needs to be repeated.  The number one asset is Sam Darnold.  They need to protect him. First things first.  Then edge rusher, Corner, and WR

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

It might.  But honestly, I fully expect it at this point.

The Jets rarely surprise us in a good way.  The very term "Same Old Jets" exists for a reason.

I could easily see the Jets chase an EDGE or CB or some other shiny at pick #11, and justify it with "well, that O-lineman wasn;t rated as high for us, and we got 'insert X jag veteran' in free agency" or something similar.

I don;t want to pre-judge Douglas, he deserves a fair shot to GM the team for a while first.  But I wouldn't really be shocked at all if we go defense yet again.

I will hope for O-line and WR heavy in Rounds 1-3, but we'll just have to see.  Free Agency has to happen first.

There is absolutely no way that they draft defense at 11. The 2 buffoon GMs of the past listened to their defensive head coaches, Ryan and Bowles, and let them pick the players. Douglas will show you that he will be in charge, and this team needs to help the offense now.

Edge is the ONLY position I'll tolerate drafting D with the 1st round pick. And the rest of the top 4 picks should go towards offense.

I will tolerate nothing of the sort. NOTHING!!!

D should not even be allowed to be spoken about in the first 3 rds imo. Edge shmedge

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

9 hours ago, JiF said:

It's crazy that Chaisson is going this high in mocks.  They must expect him to test off the charts because there is absolutely nothing about his game that is overly intriguing to me.  He's got a crazy first step but doesnt have the production to match.  And this is playing on team that was blowing everyone out, scoring 50 points a game and everyone playing catch.  He should have had more opportunities to get to the QB than anyone in the entire league, yet he just doesnt have the production, at all. 

And he played with two corners who are Lock first rounders and a free safety who’s also going in round one. I hate when teams draft guys who are just athletic and try to turn them into pass rushers. Being a pass rusher is a psychosis, and if they’re not insane, they’re not getting to the passer off the edge. And didn’t Chiasson come to football late? Like, he wasn’t all that into it, but he was a freak athlete so he just kinda rides it out? 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, JiF said:

It's crazy that Chaisson is going this high in mocks.  They must expect him to test off the charts because there is absolutely nothing about his game that is overly intriguing to me.  He's got a crazy first step but doesnt have the production to match.  And this is playing on team that was blowing everyone out, scoring 50 points a game and everyone playing catch.  He should have had more opportunities to get to the QB than anyone in the entire league, yet he just doesnt have the production, at all. 

Couldn't agree more and I watched almost every LSU game this year. Not too mention someone with his build has almost zero chance succeeding as a passrusher and I could see him tumbling down the boards regardless of his combine results. Not a fan at all.

13 hours ago, JiF said:

Couldn’t agree more, just not seeing it and there are some very intruiging guys who may be round later (Anae, Gross-Matos, Weaver, Taylor). I’m increasingly of the view there will be an unusually high number of good edge guys in FA so re-sign JJ and pair him with either Ngakoue or Fowler and then draft a younger, explosive player to give us a long overdue rotation that will scare people.

9 hours ago, Eaton Beaver said:

There is absolutely no way that they draft defense at 11. The 2 buffoon GMs of the past listened to their defensive head coaches, Ryan and Bowles, and let them pick the players. Douglas will show you that he will be in charge, and this team needs to help the offense now.

Good.  I'll look forward to seeing that.

8 hours ago, RobR said:

Couldn't agree more and I watched almost every LSU game this year. Not too mention someone with his build has almost zero chance succeeding as a passrusher and I could see him tumbling down the boards regardless of his combine results. Not a fan at all.

This scouting report kinda summarizes my thoughts as well.  This guy is in no way worthy on the 11th overall pick, and with out a doubt should never be a consideration for this team.  

K'Lavon aligns as an edge player for the Tiger defensive front. He demonstrates his good overall athleticism on the Edge in his ability to rush, drop, and cover. His skill set epitomizes the schematic versatility coordinators covet in todays NFL. In the run game he is mediocre. Although he has ideal length and overall athleticism for the perimeter, he has yet to consistently utilize these natural tools. He demonstrates good length on the edge and although he is often outweighed, he does a good job of holding the point of attack. He has good pop in his hips and hands and shows sufficient ability to set the edge in the run game. However, when he has to stack and shed defenders he struggles to disengage. He doesn’t have great instincts and struggles to locate the football at times vs RPOs and other misdirection plays. This slows him down some and limits his effectiveness even more. In the passing game he is sufficient. He has good get off and plays from snap to whistle. He does a good job of rushing speed to power and will show enough power to “1 arm” a offensive tackle on the edge. He shows enough athleticism to walk out over a #2 receiver, re route him and drop into space. He also shows the ability to open his hips and run up field with receivers. However, this player is stiff and has absolutely no bend on the edge. He has no swivel in his hips and limits him to just a speed rusher on the edge. He severely lacks technique as a pass rusher. In the NFL, some team may like the overall athleticism and versatility as a 3-4 strong side OLB or a 4-3 DE. However, he will need to excel on special teams in order for him to roster for a team by year 2. On 3rd down, this player could maximize his natural told by limiting his responsibilities to just rushing the passer. He projects with sufficient special teams upside due to his good combination of size, straight line speed and athleticism. However, due to his stiffness avoiding in space as a core special teamer will be an issue for this player. Ultimately, this player is extremely raw who has redeeming attributes in his size, speed and overall athleticism combination. He will need to add weight if an even front team covets him and will need to work on his flexibility to play with better leverage on the edge.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, nico002 said:

And I have the Jets taking Jeudy. What exactly does Jeremiah know about the Jets draft in February, that I don’t? In fact, I probably am more well equipped since I’ve watched 10x more Jets ball than he has.

Aren’t Jeremiah and Douglas buddies? 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What you can’t see here in the OP is that in this mock, the top 4 OTs are gone. The two top WRs are there though. And if the board shook out like this, they should take the highest rated receiver and move on to OL in the next rounds. 

Hmmmm, I tend to disagree (today anyway). I think its much more difficult to find an edge rusher than Wr. As unpopular as it might be to take defense (again) in the first round I may have to go best edge rusher (after Chase) rather than a Wr at 11.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Hmmmm, I tend to disagree (today anyway). I think its much more difficult to find an edge rusher than Wr. As unpopular as it might be to take defense (again) in the first round I may have to go best edge rusher (after Chase) rather than a Wr at 11.

if all the OTs worth taking at 11 are gone, the move is either a trade back or take a wr and address OT in the 2nd round.  this is why signing conklin would really help.  i won't go into why we don't need another defensive player in the first round, especially after watching the chiefs offense blow through the playoffs.

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if all the OTs worth taking at 11 are gone, the move is either a trade back or take a wr and address OT in the 2nd round.  this is why signing conklin would really help.  i won't go into why we don't need another defensive player in the first round, especially after watching the chiefs offense blow through the playoffs.

Yes, was just going back to edit this post. I would love to trade down and after (more) reading I'm (again ) thinking it's either OL, Wr or trade down (if possible).

The question I have is Jeudy and Lamb better prospects at Wr than Espenza and K'Lavon at Edge? ( Best Wr in the current draft greater than 2nd/3d best edge?)

Just now, Copernicus said:

Yes, was just going back to edit this post. I would love to trade down and after (more) reading I'm (again ) thinking it's either OL, Wr or trade down (if possible).

The question I have is Jeudy and Lamb better prospects at Wr than Espenza and K'Lavon at Edge? ( Best Wr in the current draft greater than 2nd/3d best edge?)

i think a lot of the decision will be decided by how successful they are in FA getting a RT.  if they can land conklin and keep beachum, they could go wr in the first if they wanted and still go OL on day 2.  not the most likely scenario now, but still possible.  but if they head into the draft with shell and edoga at RT they're much more tied to going OT at 11.