jetstream23

Use the 7th Round pick on a Kicker?

Would you be okay if the Jets used their final pick in Round 7 to take a Kicker?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be okay if the Jets used their final pick in Round 7 to take a Kicker?

• Yes
    • No

It's a need for the Jets and a significant contributing factor in at least one loss from 2019.  The Jets signed former Cowboys K Brett Maher to a reserve/futures contract but would it be worth using the 7th round pick to secure the best (or one of the Top 2) kickers in the Draft?

7th rounders are typically project players, developmental guys who end up on practice squads.  Why not use the pick for a guy who would almost be assured to start and contribute, and could be the longterm answer at the Kicker position?  Maybe a Rodrigo Blankenship from Georgia or Dominik Eberle from Utah State?

6 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It's a need for the Jets and a significant contributing factor in at least one loss from 2019.  The Jets signed former Cowboys K Brett Maher to a reserve/futures contract but would it be worth using the 7th round pick to secure the best (or one of the Top 2) kickers in the Draft?

7th rounders are typically project players, developmental guys who end up on practice squads.  Why not use the pick for a guy who would almost be assured to start and contribute, and could be the longterm answer at the Kicker position?  Maybe a Rodrigo Blankenship from Georgia or Dominik Eberle from Utah State?

I would in a heartbeat but I always get scared of those kickers that kick at altitude like the kid form Utah St.

• Upvote 1

7th round is where you look for guys who can contribute on STs.  I would definitely be okay if we used our 7 on a kicker.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

There’s the guy worth a pick.

I am not so sure.  He became a bit of a cult hero at UGA, but one thing I want from a kicker is a guy who can handle pressure.  What concerns me is that I have noticed that he does not seem to kick as well in big games.  Missed two kicks against LSU this year.  Missed the one in OT against South Carolina.  Missed a kick in the SEC Championship vs Bama last year.  MIssed a kick early in the Rose Bowl (before he made the big one at halftime).  Pretty sure he missed kicks at both Auburn and ND during the Rose Bowl season.  He also missed one at the Sr Bowl -- while not a big game, it was a big spot for him.

Would not have a problem if we picked him with a 7, but his history of missing kicks in big games gives me pause.

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am not so sure.  He became a bit of a cult hero at UGA, but one thing I want from a kicker is a guy who can handle pressure.  What concerns me is that I have noticed that he does not seem to kick as well in big games.  Missed two kicks against LSU this year.  Missed the one in OT against South Carolina.  Missed a kick in the SEC Championship vs Bama last year.  MIssed a kick early in the Rose Bowl (before he made the big one at halftime).  Pretty sure he missed kicks at both Auburn and ND during the Rose Bowl season.  He also missed one at the Sr Bowl -- while not a big game, it was a big spot for him.

Would not have a problem if we picked him with a 7, but his history of missing kicks in big games gives me pause.

Yeah, he has a tendency of doing that every once and a while but he’s always had a nice, accurate leg for the most part when I’ve watched him. I might of just been watching the wrong games lol.

2 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

Do we have a seventh?  I thought we traded it.

We traded a conditional 7 to the Ravens for Alex Lewis.  I don't thik the conditions have been reported publicly, and while you would think that Lewis played enough for the 7 to go to Baltimore, Douglas in his season ending presser I think referred to having 8 picks in the upcoming draft which would have to include the 7.  Either Douglas misspoke or we didn't meet the conditions for the pick.

My long winded way of saying I have no idea if we have a 7 or not.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lith said:

We traded a conditional 7 to the Ravens for Alex Lewis.  I don't thik the conditions have been reported publicly, and while you would think that Lewis played enough for the 7 to go to Baltimore, Douglas in his season ending presser I think referred to having 8 picks in the upcoming draft which would have to include the 7.  Either Douglas misspoke or we didn't meet the conditions for the pick.

My long winded way of saying I have no idea if we have a 7 or not.

Thanks for the clarification.  For what it's worth, when I do my Fanspeak mocks they are not allowing me a seventh round pick.  Would like to find out.

I dunno if Blankenship makes it to the 7th. He seems like a kicker who's pretty much a lock to get drafted IMO... I'd be happy with him in that round though.

• Upvote 1

Depends on whose available I thought Ficken was fine last year

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Depends on whose available I thought Ficken was fine last year

I disagree.  Ficken was only good relative to the guys we brought had in camp and Vedvik, who opened the season.  Ficken missed 11 kicks last season -- 8 missed FGs and 3 missed XPs.  Only guy to miss more kicks was Adam Vinatieri, who is likely done at age 47.  Besides, Ficken is a FA, he is not on our roster.  Only kicker on the roster as of now is Brett Maher.  Talking about missed kicks, Maher was 3rd on the list last season with 10, 1 behind Ficken.  We need to upgrade K -- whether draft (late rounds only), UDFA, FA.  We need a legit 80%+ FG kicker who can handle late game pressure.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2020 at 11:47 AM, Lith said:

I disagree.  Ficken was only good relative to the guys we brought had in camp and Vedvik, who opened the season.  Ficken missed 11 kicks last season -- 8 missed FGs and 3 missed XPs.  Only guy to miss more kicks was Adam Vinatieri, who is likely done at age 47.  Besides, Ficken is a FA, he is not on our roster.  Only kicker on the roster as of now is Brett Maher.  Talking about missed kicks, Maher was 3rd on the list last season with 10, 1 behind Ficken.  We need to upgrade K -- whether draft (late rounds only), UDFA, FA.  We need a legit 80%+ FG kicker who can handle late game pressure.

Ficken is also still developing as a kicker last year was his first actual season in the NFL he was basically a rookie

When the jets try to get cute with kickers is when they screw themselves