Gastineau wants sack record back........he's right

i'm afraid it's thems the breaks.  that strahan sack was completely bogus and if he had any pride he would've said it didn't count.  but the bigger issue is how many other records should be changed?  in the case of sacks they only started to record them after the merger.  guys like deacon jones invented the term and they didn't have all of those in the grasp rules.  and records are made to be broken.

7 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28673657/years-later-former-jets-great-mark-gastineau-wants-full-credit-nfl-single-season-sack-record

Mark Gastineau, IMO, still holds the sack record.  The gap doesn't get to count Favre falling down as the record breaking sack.

Thoughts?

Strahan is a fraud

fraud.gif?itok=J7w5zs7o

• Upvote 1

A QB giving himself up like that shouldn't be a sack.  It should be considered a TFL.  

But Strahan did have a fantastic season up to that point.  The mere fact that he was 1 sack away from the record was impressive.  It's not like he somehow egregiously cheated his way to all the other sacks he got that season.

And yeah, as others already stated, had sacks been a stat in the earlier days of the NFL, Deacon Jones would have the record by a mile anyways.    

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Man.  The premise of that thread might just carry us all the way through the offseason.  

I know. We have to get @Lith and @The Crimson King going again and get back to baseball trivia. I'm a little leery though about @The Crimson King His questions are next to impossible to begin with . With basically a month off to get new ones, we may be totally doomed.?

• Upvote 1

Just now, CTM said:

No worries.. QW is going to bring it back to the green and white baby. 23 sacks incoming

For his career

Hopefully but probably not ;(

He already has infinite more sacks than the Ghost. Success!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

listen to the commentary. It's friggin ridiculous! 

I fully support this futile effort by my favorite Jets player ever!!! 

Under the 2018 rules change, this would be a penalty on Strahan for landing on the passer. So let's be accurate here and take away the sack and reconvene these old men to finish the game after applying the penalty.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Shame on Strahan for colluding with Favre to win an award/title he didn't truly earn.

Shame on Gastineau for bringing this up now long after he congratulated and even kissed Strahan on TV.  Be the bigger and better sport and stand pat on what you did.  Everyone knows Strahan's record is a media given fraud.

I suggest this.

Take the record away from Strahan... And...

Give it to

DEACON JONES 

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Yeah but then the works-too-hard cop ignores his screaming captain and investigates privately on his own, uncovers a coverup in the highest levels of the city government, and topples the whole criminal enterprise. He gets a medal from the new mayor and is offered the captaincy but decides instead to quit the force.  He opens a successful private detective agency that gives him financial security and more time with his now-motherless kids. His character arc complete and sequel setup where his kids get kidnapped.

I have Liam Neesen on Line 2

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

i'm afraid it's thems the breaks.  that strahan sack was completely bogus and if he had any pride he would've said it didn't count.  but the bigger issue is how many other records should be changed?  in the case of sacks they only started to record them after the merger.  guys like deacon jones invented the term and they didn't have all of those in the grasp rules.  and records are made to be broken.

I see your point but disagree on the breaks? the minutes he slide he was runner imho and should be a tackle for a lose not a sack. Not taking the tackle away but Farve had no intention to thrown and laid down.

And yes with the money teh nfl has I would love for them to go back and count how many sacks the older pros had and how many other records would be reset

6 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Who gives a ****? Neither one of them have the record anyway. Decon Jones does. 26 in a 14 game season. 

We believe Deacon Jones now?  He is full of sh*t.  I think he was counting half sacks as 1.  The independent count has him at 22 (twice) , same as Gastineau, but in a 14 game season.  Of course he could use the headslap.   They have Coy Bacon as number 1. 

Deacon gets credit for inventing the term "sack" and Gastineau and the Sack Exchange and LT got it registered as an official statistic.  As Jack Youngblood said, teams always tracked them - he got paid for them which is probably what makes Deacon think he had 26. 

Who is the real single-season NFL sack king?

5 hours ago, jgb said:

Yeah but then the works-too-hard cop ignores his screaming captain and investigates privately on his own, uncovers a coverup in the highest levels of the city government, and topples the whole criminal enterprise. He gets a medal from the new mayor and is offered the captaincy but decides instead to quit the force.  He opens a successful private detective agency that gives him financial security and more time with his now-motherless kids. His character arc complete and sequel setup where his kids get kidnapped.

Starring Gerard Butler!

• Haha 1