Gastineau wants sack record back........he's right

36 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

We believe Deacon Jones now?  He is full of sh*t.  I think he was counting half sacks as 1.  The independent count has him at 22 (twice) , same as Gastineau, but in a 14 game season.  Of course he could use the headslap.   They have Coy Bacon as number 1. 

Deacon gets credit for inventing the term "sack" and Gastineau and the Sack Exchange and LT got it registered as an official statistic.  As Jack Youngblood said, teams always tracked them - he got paid for them which is probably what makes Deacon think he had 26. 

Who is the real single-season NFL sack king?

Pretty good article.  

IMHO... Aside from the numbers being tossed out, 22, 22.5, 26, etc... 

The best way to decide on who is the true sack-master comes down to the eye test.  Leave the controversial statistic on the side for a bit.

Deacon Jones and Strhan were obviously very skilled players that put in a major effort when ever they were on the field.  Both of them were really splendid players.

When judging on, speed, quickness, power, fancy moves, upper body strength, leg and lower body strength, The whole packaging put together in action on the field to get results...

Gastinuea wins in every category.  

There was never a better pure pass rusher than Gastineau.  

It is fair to say that Deacon Jones and Strahan were more complete football players given that Gastineau was known to ignore the ball carrier on the way to the QB, but neither of them were as skilled as Gastineau with respect to the pass rush.  Not even close...

I don't need the stat.  My eyes saw it all...

40 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

We believe Deacon Jones now?  He is full of sh*t.  I think he was counting half sacks as 1.  The independent count has him at 22 (twice) , same as Gastineau, but in a 14 game season.  Of course he could use the headslap.   They have Coy Bacon as number 1. 

Deacon gets credit for inventing the term "sack" and Gastineau and the Sack Exchange and LT got it registered as an official statistic.  As Jack Youngblood said, teams always tracked them - he got paid for them which is probably what makes Deacon think he had 26. 

Who is the real single-season NFL sack king?

NFL historians have him at 26. Either way he has more then anyone considering it was only a 14 game season.