Brady to test Free Agency in March...

jetsons

Report: Tom Brady will test free agency in March

See article on: patriotswire.usatoday.com

Henry McKenna

16 hrs ago

Video by NFL

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady isn’t afraid to test free agency. Bill Belichick isn’t afraid to let him. Both parties have agreed to allow the Patriots quarterback to enter free agency in March, according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.

“From what I understand, (Patriots owner Robert) Kraft’s thinking on this is, if the sides come together, if Brady decided the Patriots were his best option after testing free agency and if Bill Belichick, who of course is making the decisions for New England, if he decides that Brady is his best option at this price, that … it will mean that it’s meant to be and it’s best for both sides,” Rapoport said on NFL Network on Monday.

From NFL Now: #Patriots owner Robert Kraft felt the best outcome for all parties in 2020 would come after Tom Brady tested free agency. An explanation for why he agreed to let it happen ?????? pic.twitter.com/9UkM6aZp2w

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) February 10, 2020

Brady is set to enter free agency on March 18. He can begin negotiation with other teams on March 16 when the legal tampering period opens. New England and Brady could have worked out an extension between now and the new league year, but it appears they won’t even bother trying.

Even with Brady coming off one of his worst statistical seasons, he should be in high demand among quarterback-needy teams — and even among teams which have a quarterback in place. The Las Vegas Raiders, for example, will make an aggressive bid for Brady, per ESPN.

The Patriots are set to have roughly $40 million in cap space for the 2020 offseason, which may prove a limiting factor for the team as they attempt to retain Brady. In fact, because Brady will enter free agency, his contract will void for the 2020 and 2021 seasons, leaving the Patriots with a $13 million cap hit. Had both parties agreed to an extension before March, the Patriots would only incur a $7.5 million hit from Brady’s deal in 2020. But that seems out of the question. Brady will test the market, and New England will have to make a pitch — just like everyone else.

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This smells like a collusive effort between Kraft and Jerry Jones to **** Prescott over by stripping his leverage. The second Prescott signs for pennies, Brady will sign his deal with the Pats. And we know that scumbag Brady will go along with this, because he’s human filth. 

^ hackenborg collective 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

To me it’s pretty clear he’s leaving

And...

Both he and the league already knows where, for how long and for how much.

Hes leaving if he can find a loaded team that wants him. Both of these egomaniacs want to win without the other one to cement their legacy. Belihick has a better chance obviously. Bradys a savvy jag at this point and has 1 maybe 2 years top at even average play, hes got to find a win now team. Dallas, TN, SF

He will back with the Pats, they are going through this to say they have gone through it.  No one is going to want Brady, The teams who are close have their QB those that aren't don;t want a near washed up 42 year old.

Bellichick would love to dump Brady but then he would have to pay actual value money for a QB and the reffing favouritism would be less.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

i have to believe that the free agency interest in brady isn't going to be quite as great as he thinks.  the way the patsies finished indicates he's not able to win it alone.  granted the patsies did a bad job in getting receivers but even guys like edelman made some key drops towards the end and many of those were on brady.

we'll see what happens.  whatever tam gets him will put fannies in the seats for a few games at least.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I could see Tampa Bay jumping into the mix too, perhaps.  

Bruce Arians likes his veterans but he'd want to know that Brady can still make all the big throws.  That's the one thing BA wants and needs for his offense.  And I'm sure he'd love a much lower INT percentage that Jameis gave him.  Carson Palmer was a great fit for BA and Brady would be similar in the sense that he's a pocket passer without much scrambling ability, but is a great passer.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Bruce Arians likes his veterans but he'd want to know that Brady can still make all the big throws.  That's the one thing BA wants and needs for his offense.  And I'm sure he'd love a much lower INT percentage that Jameis gave him.  Carson Palmer was a great fit for BA and Brady would be similar in the sense that he's a pocket passer without much scrambling ability, but is a great passer.

True, he likes big-armed QB's.  

I could also see Jacksonville being a perfect landing spot for Brady.  After all, as @JiF pointed out in the Lounge, that's where all the hot guys are.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CTM said:

Hes leaving if he can find a loaded team that wants him. Both of these egomaniacs want to win without the other one to cement their legacy. Belihick has a better chance obviously. Bradys a savvy jag at this point and has 1 maybe 2 years top at even average play, hes got to find a win now team. Dallas, TN, SF

yep.  makes sense if dallas doesn't want to pay dak major money.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CTM said:

The NFL narrative for this season is Brady goes to the Cowboys, NE meets DAL in the SB.  That storyline, in their eyes, is the greatest entertainment ever.  To them, it's a real-life Darth Vader vs. Luke Skywalker.  Even more compelling than seeing J-Lo's vagina-adjacent on national TV.  No fans outside of NE or DAL would agree, but the NFL won't care. 

The refs will make this happen.  If you thought reffing was one-sided in favor of NE and DAL in the past, just wait...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The NFL narrative for this season is Brady goes to the Cowboys, NE meets DAL in the SB.  That storyline, in their eyes, is the greatest entertainment ever.  To them, it's a real-life Darth Vader vs. Luke Skywalker.  Even more compelling than seeing J-Lo's vagina-adjacent on national TV.  No fans outside of NE or DAL would agree, but the NFL won't care. 

The refs will make this happen.  If you thought reffing was one-sided in favor of NE and DAL in the past, just wait...

HACKENBORG !!?!

But yes, they would love brady vs beli with a major market team like Dallas. I'll stop short of the conspiracy though 

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I'm listening...

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig

• Haha 1

If nothing else, this is definitely set to be one of the most unique offseasons the NFL has seen in a very long time.

While there's of course still time for some contracts to be handed out, the list of (admittedly, mostly older) QBs set to hit free agency is certainly unprecedented.  Consider that you have guys like Bridgewater and Tannehill who stepped up with their opportunities and could very easily find themselves with a chance to compete for a starting job, and yet may not even crack the top 5 of available QBs.

If nothing else, hopefully this helps the Jets to get themselves a quality backup at a decent price.

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

If nothing else, this is definitely set to be one of the most unique offseasons the NFL has seen in a very long time.

While there's of course still time for some contracts to be handed out, the list of (admittedly, mostly older) QBs set to hit free agency is certainly unprecedented.  Consider that you have guys like Bridgewater and Tannehill who stepped up with their opportunities and could very easily find themselves with a chance to compete for a starting job, and yet may not even crack the top 5 of available QBs.

If nothing else, hopefully this helps the Jets to get themselves a quality backup at a decent price.

I'm sure the jets will be smart. 

?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This smells like a collusive effort between Kraft and Jerry Jones to **** Prescott over by stripping his leverage. The second Prescott signs for pennies, Brady will sign his deal with the Pats. And we know that scumbag Brady will go along with this, because he’s human filth. 

You may not be right about the specifics of the scheme but they almost certainly have something up their sleeve.

I could see losing Brady as the excuse Bill needs to tank for Trevor. One pig slaughtered and a new one born in its place. And yes I have been vocal in saying NFL teams don't tank but Bill is special in that he has supreme job security and is a filthy cheater.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Except it's more like a real-life Prequel Anakin vs Jar Jar, because neither side would have any redeeming qualities whatsoever, nor be even slightly liked by anyone.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Except it's more like a real-life Prequel Anakin vs Jar Jar, because neither side would have any redeeming qualities whatsoever, nor be even slightly liked by anyone.

might be the nerdiest post in the history of JN

well done

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, nycdan said:

When was @Hackenberg - Banned unbanned?

40 minutes ago, freestater said:

So who tops Belichick's list for vet QB? Philip Rivers in Foxborough? 

It's a great question.  I'd think nobody wants to be the guy who follows Brady in NE.  And the list doesn't have any compelling names.  Tannehill might be the best if he even becomes available.  After that, you're looking at the likes of Dalton, Mariota, Bridgewater and maybe Winston.  I could see BB thinking he could resurrect Mariota or Winston maybe.  I just can't see them trying to sell Dalton to the fan-base. 

Honestly, Bridgewater is the one who would concern me the most.  And he has the right initials.  Get ready for TB5!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If Prescott ends up having no leverage it will be because there isn’t a team outside of Dallas who thinks he’s worth anything close to north of 30 million per year.

The reality is that Jerry is the only shot he has at getting the giant contract he wants because he’s not THAT good. 

2 hours ago, CTM said:

I thought I heard on the radio recently that BB finally came out and said he wanted Brady back?  I never checked the interwebz to verify.