Prospect Preview: Jalen Reagor, Don’t let the Size Fool you

JetNation

jalen-reagor.jpg

With the NFL offseason approaching, JetNation.com continues its draft prospect preview series by looking at another dynamic wide receiver in TCU’s Jalen Reagor.  In watching Reagor in action, two things jump off the screen.  His blazing speed is obvious right off the bat, but that isn’t what impressed us most.

Name Jalen Reagor                
College Texas Christian University                
No. 18  1                
Ht/Wt 5′ 11′  195                

Current Projections:                  

Bleacher Report 57 th overall                
Walter Football 22nd overall                
NFL.com 62nd overall                

College Production: G Rec Yds Avg TD Punt Ret Yds Av TD

2017 14 33 576 17.5 8 0 0 0 0
2018 13 72 1,061 14.7 9 8 97 12.1 0
2019 12 43 611 14.2 5 15 312 20.8 1

Despite his relatively diminutive stature at just 5′ 11” and 195 pounds, Reagor plays much bigger than one might expect.  When he doesn’t find a way to get himself open with his explosion off the line, Reagor can go up and beat bigger cornerbacks for jump balls with surprising regularity.  Be it against top-ranked teams or lesser-known opponents, Reagor just wins the batlte for contested throws.

How in the world does Reagor come away with this ball? Bigger defender directly between him and the ball and Reagor rips it away for the catch. pic.twitter.com/2DPOcpuPbM

— Glenn Naughton (@AceFan23) February 11, 2020

This gives Reagor an unexpectedly impressive catch radius and goes to show that personnel folks shouldn’t always get hung up on a receiver who doesn’t check in at 6′ 3”.  Some might expect Reagor to be designated to the slot, but in watching what he can do in tight coverage, team’s shouldn’t shy way from letting him play inside or on the boundary.

Anther excellent receiver in this class is TCU's Jalen Reagor at top of screen. Beats coverage with quick feet/stutter step and then climbs the ladder to haul in deep ball. Does this consistently so 5' 11'' frame doesn't tell the whole story. pic.twitter.com/GDuaeRYe35

He can go up and get it uncontested on a poorly thrown ball as we see here against Oregon State, but as we see in the same game, he has no trouble doing it with a defender on his back.

And again for Reagor in the same game. Top of screen with he goes up and hauls in the tall pass with a defender on his back. See this a lot from him. pic.twitter.com/ukSOanekRq

Reagor may not have the most refined route tree at this point in time, but given what he brings in terms of speed and attacking the football in the air, there’s no reason to believe he won’t be able to find early success as a pro.  Then of course there’s always the NFL combine where he may boost his stock if he shows he’s capable fo doing more than what was asked of him at TCU.

With the Jets likely grabbing an offensive lineman in round 1, their best shot at Reagor will be the second round which is where many draftniks have him going at the moment.  Expect Reagor to run his 40 in the low 4.4’s indy, showing that the speed we see on game day is no fluke.

Having also done some work as a punt returner, averaging over 20 yards per return in 2019, Reagor brings value on speical teams as well.

The post Prospect Preview: Jalen Regor, Don’t let the Size Fool you appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

I4kCdZMMSb4

Click here to read the full story...

• Sympathy 1

Honestly, unless somehow Higgins is there when the Jets are selecting, I'm not taking a WR in Rd. 2. I'm doubling up on O-line and taking another OT, a C, or a G. One caveat would be if one of the top CBs fall, which could happen. Then I would consider a CB. But that's about it. I take my first WR in Rd. 3 and probably again in Rd. 4 or 5.

Rd. 2 targets: Prince Tega Wanogho- OT, A.Jackson-OT, Niang-OT, Josh Jones-OT, Bartch-OT, Biadasz-C, Cushenberry-IOL, Bredeson-IOL, Kindley-IOL, Ruiz-IOL, Diggs-CB, Terrell-CB, Higgins- WR.    

• Upvote 2

A small WR known for drops and limited route running ability. 

In 3 games vs. Oklahoma (TCU's stiffest competition and also terrible on D), he has 3 total catches.

He gives you some versatility in the kicking game but he's way down the list of WR's to be targeting IMO.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

A small WR known for drops and limited route running ability. 

In 3 games vs. Oklahoma (TCU's stiffest competition and also terrible on D), he has 3 total catches.

He gives you some versatility in the kicking game but he's way down the list of WR's to be targeting IMO.

Really ? Tell me more. 

7ADBF180-DA58-4DC6-8C63-C18503F7A99A.jpeg

6 hours ago, JetNation said:

jalen-reagor.jpg

With the NFL offseason approaching, JetNation.com continues its draft prospect preview series by looking at another dynamic wide receiver in TCU’s Jalen Reagor.  In watching Reagor in action, two things jump off the screen.  His blazing speed is obvious right off the bat, but that isn’t what impressed us most.

Name Jalen Reagor                
College Texas Christian University                
No. 18  1                
Ht/Wt 5′ 11′  195                

Current Projections:                  

Bleacher Report 57 th overall                
Walter Football 22nd overall                
NFL.com 62nd overall                

College Production: G Rec Yds Avg TD Punt Ret Yds Av TD

2017 14 33 576 17.5 8 0 0 0 0
2018 13 72 1,061 14.7 9 8 97 12.1 0
2019 12 43 611 14.2 5 15 312 20.8 1

Despite his relatively diminutive stature at just 5′ 11” and 195 pounds, Reagor plays much bigger than one might expect.  When he doesn’t find a way to get himself open with his explosion off the line, Reagor can go up and beat bigger cornerbacks for jump balls with surprising regularity.  Be it against top-ranked teams or lesser-known opponents, Reagor just wins the batlte for contested throws.

How in the world does Reagor come away with this ball? Bigger defender directly between him and the ball and Reagor rips it away for the catch. pic.twitter.com/2DPOcpuPbM

This gives Reagor an unexpectedly impressive catch radius and goes to show that personnel folks shouldn’t always get hung up on a receiver who doesn’t check in at 6′ 3”.  Some might expect Reagor to be designated to the slot, but in watching what he can do in tight coverage, team’s shouldn’t shy way from letting him play inside or on the boundary.

Anther excellent receiver in this class is TCU's Jalen Reagor at top of screen. Beats coverage with quick feet/stutter step and then climbs the ladder to haul in deep ball. Does this consistently so 5' 11'' frame doesn't tell the whole story. pic.twitter.com/GDuaeRYe35

He can go up and get it uncontested on a poorly thrown ball as we see here against Oregon State, but as we see in the same game, he has no trouble doing it with a defender on his back.

And again for Reagor in the same game. Top of screen with he goes up and hauls in the tall pass with a defender on his back. See this a lot from him. pic.twitter.com/ukSOanekRq

Reagor may not have the most refined route tree at this point in time, but given what he brings in terms of speed and attacking the football in the air, there’s no reason to believe he won’t be able to find early success as a pro.  Then of course there’s always the NFL combine where he may boost his stock if he shows he’s capable fo doing more than what was asked of him at TCU.

With the Jets likely grabbing an offensive lineman in round 1, their best shot at Reagor will be the second round which is where many draftniks have him going at the moment.  Expect Reagor to run his 40 in the low 4.4’s indy, showing that the speed we see on game day is no fluke.

Having also done some work as a punt returner, averaging over 20 yards per return in 2019, Reagor brings value on speical teams as well.

The post Prospect Preview: Jalen Regor, Don’t let the Size Fool you appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

I4kCdZMMSb4

Click here to read the full story...

This kid can flat out play! Terrorized the BIGXII for 3 years. He was originally committed to Texas Tech and switched to TCU when the father (Monte) didn't get a job with Tech. His father played with Kingsbury at Tech. Whoever lands him will have a baller. 

I am looking at Rd. 3 for a WR targeting these guys in particular who are some of my favorites:  

Tyler Johnson, Donovan Peoples-Jones (I know a lot of people don't like him due to lack of production but I think he has immense upside), Bryan Edwards, Denzel Mims, Gabriel Davis, even Gandy-Golden who I think is under-rated. 

Then later on, in Rd. 4 or 5 I'd like to double up going after a big bodied Red Zone target type of WR:

Collin Johnson, Juan Jennings, Kendrick Rogers, Lawrence Cager, Chase Claypool   

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I am looking at Rd. 3 for a WR targeting these guys in particular who are some of my favorites:  

Tyler Johnson, Donovan Peoples-Jones (I know a lot of people don't like him due to lack of production but I think he has immense upside), Bryan Edwards, Denzel Mims, Gabriel Davis, even Gandy-Golden who I think is under-rated. 

Then later on, in Rd. 4 or 5 I'd like to double up going after a big bodied Red Zone target type of WR:

Collin Johnson, Juan Jennings, Kendrick Rogers, Lawrence Cager, Chase Claypool   

Get rid of Tyler Johnson and you've got a list i can get behind. 

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Get rid of Tyler Johnson and you've got a list i can get behind. 

lol whats wrong with Tyler Johnson? He's one of my favorite WR prospects in this entire draft. Probably needs to work on his physicality but otherwise a really well-rounded receiver. More polished than a lot of the other prospects projected to go ahead of him. 

4 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

If the Jets go OT at 11, then this guy can’t be the first WR the Jets select.   They need a more well rounded receiver.  I can’t imagine this kid will be the best option in the 2nd round.  

If he projects around #62, he'd be more an option for an early 3. 

I don't know this guy. But I'm all for a wr in the 3rd.

6 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

If the Jets go OT at 11, then this guy can’t be the first WR the Jets select.   They need a more well rounded receiver.  I can’t imagine this kid will be the best option in the 2nd round.  

It depends on what happens in FA.  I don't have a problem going with Reagor in Round 2.  #48 is right about the spot he should go.  But I'd probably prefer someone like Justin Jefferson (who will likely be gone) or Brandon Ayuik (probably a 75% chance he's available at #48).  But let's stay on Reagor for a minute....He has the skills and speed that wins in today's NFL where CB holding and grabbing is not only called more often but can now be  reviewed/challenged.  I also think if the Jets went with Reagor this Draft is deep enough to find a more well-rounded or possession type WR later.  Lots of size/hands guys who aren't burners will be available in Rounds 4-6 IMO.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

It depends on what happens in FA.  I don't have a problem going with Reagor in Round 2.  #48 is right about the spot he should go.  But I'd probably prefer someone like Justin Jefferson (who will likely be gone) or Brandon Ayuik (probably a 75% chance he's available at #48).  But let's stay on Reagor for a minute....He has the skills and speed that wins in today's NFL where CB holding and grabbing is not only called more often but can now be  reviewed/challenged.  I also think if the Jets went with Reagor this Draft is deep enough to find a more well-rounded or possession type WR later.  Lots of size/hands guys who aren't burners will be available in Rounds 4-6 IMO.  

any chance shenault drops this far? am thinking not...

On 2/11/2020 at 10:03 AM, PepPep said:

lol whats wrong with Tyler Johnson? He's one of my favorite WR prospects in this entire draft. Probably needs to work on his physicality but otherwise a really well-rounded receiver. More polished than a lot of the other prospects projected to go ahead of him. 

Inconsistent. Jordan Matthews 2.0