Tua’s Health Update.

sec101row23

Looks like no set backs so far.  Still won’t be able to participate in the combine, other than the medicals.  He is expected to throw at the pro day, but it doesn’t sound like he will be doing much running.   

Here is a brief recap of his injury history at Alabama:

• In 2018 during spring practice, he hit one of his offensive linemen’s helmets while throwing a pass which broke the index finger on his throwing hand. This required surgery, but Tagovailoa didn’t miss any games.
  • Later in the 2018 season, Tagovailoa sprained his knee but continued to practice and didn’t even miss the following week’s game. 
  • One month later, Tagovailoa injured his quad against Mississippi State game. Though he missed the remainder of the game, Alabama won and he started the following week.
  • In the 2018 SEC Championship Game, Alabama offensive lineman Jonah Williams stepped on Tagovailoa’s ankle after he attempted a pass. Tagovailoa suffered a high ankle sprain because of it and missed the rest of the game. But 28 days later he returned to play against Oklahoma in the College Football Playoff. Typically high ankle sprains take about 6-12 weeks to recover from, but Tagovailoa was able to return in just four weeks thanks to a surgical procedure: Knotless Syndesmosis TightRope Implant System (or a TightRope procedure for short).
  • In 2019, Tagovailoa’s ankle was once again in the spotlight, only this time it was his right, not his left. After being tackled by a defender, Tagovailoa suffered another high ankle sprain that was once again surgically treated with a TightRope procedure.
  • Then, of course, there is the dislocated hip Tagovailoa suffered facing Mississippi State. It not only pulled Tagovailoa from the game but also ended his college football career prematurely. 

Those ankles worry me, I’d be really cautious in investing a high pick in him.  I don’t think he’s as big of a slam-dunk prospect as he’s proposed to be.  

If you're a QB needy team, it would be hard to pass on him.  That said, buyer beware.  I dont trust his health one bit.  He's an egg shell and I think Bama did long term damage to that ankle.  Shady practices that havent been recognized by the medical community to get a player ready to for a big game is bad business and Bama should be ashamed of it.  I think the kid is scared for life.

I also have major concerns about his game translating.  He's got touch and accuracy but he gets very fixated and holds the ball way too long looking for the big play.  Doesnt handle pressure well either and any time they actually played competition, he was meh.

I hope the Dolphins draft him and it sets them back 4-5 more years. 

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

If you're a QB needy team, it would be hard to pass on him.  That said, buyer beware.  I dont trust his health one bit.  He's an egg shell and I think Bama did long term damage to that ankle.  Shady practices that havent been recognized by the medical community to get a player ready to for a big game is bad business and Bama should be ashamed of it.  I think the kid is scared for life.

I also have major concerns about his game translating.  He's got touch and accuracy but he gets very fixated and holds the ball way too long looking for the big play.  Doesnt handle pressure well either and any time they actually played competition, he was meh.

I hope the Dolphins draft him and it sets them back 4-5 more years. 

I’m not sure I recall a highly touted prospect coming out of college with the type of surgeries and injuries Tua has had.  The hip injury is one thing, but the two high ankle’s and two Tightrope surgeries are another.  I’d rather tear an ACL than deal with high ankle problems, they’re generally more chronic.  

He’s not a very big guy to begin with, so if he gets behind a bad o-line then I’d be really worried about him holding up physically   

29 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

I’m not sure I recall a highly touted prospect coming out of college with the type of surgeries and injuries Tua has had.  The hip injury is one thing, but the two high ankle’s and two Tightrope surgeries are another.  I’d rather tear an ACL than deal with high ankle problems, they’re generally more chronic.  

He’s not a very big guy to begin with, so if he gets behind a bad o-line then I’d be really worried about him holding up physically   

For sure.  The ankle stuff is completely bonkers.  It's totally unrecognized by the medical community.  And then watching him on 1 crutch putting weight on a repaired hip on the sidelines weeks after the surgery was nuts!  Feel bad for the kid but Bama has screwed his future IMO.  I do not see him having a long career in the NFL both because of his health and his how his game will translate. 

37 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I think its fair to say ALL big time NCAA programs should be ashamed of it. Including the Florida Gators. 

For exploiting children to make millions, sure.  But that's not what I'm discussing.  I'm talking about how Bama rushed Tua back to health with unrecognized medical practices and probably ruined the kid for life.

Can you give me an example where the Gators have done something similar? 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

For exploiting children to make millions, sure.  But that's not what I'm discussing.  I'm talking about how Bama rushed Tua back to health with unrecognized medical practices and probably ruined the kid for life.

Can you give me an example where the Gators have done something similar? 

Just making a point that big time schools rush big time athletes back onto the field ALL THE TIME to (in the big picture) make millions off their backs. Every single big time program does it. Not just BAMA. From pumping the kids full of drugs to make them heal faster and the pain go away to looking the other way on concussions, etc., etc. Aaron Hernandez's brain was mush at 27 and there's countless examples. It goes from college on to the NFL. At least in the NFL the players get paid millions, they are older, and they know (to an extent) what they are getting into. These are supposed to be learning institutions and the players get paid nothing. The least thing they can do is take care of them. I'm sorry man, it might be your alma mater but if you really think that Florida of all schools is any different you are mistaken.  

“In 2019, Tagovailoa’s ankle was once again in the spotlight, only this time it was his right, not his left. After being tackled by a defender, Tagovailoa suffered another high ankle sprain that was once again surgically treated with a TightRope procedure.”

For those interested in the Syndesmosis Tightrope procedure....

https://m.arthrex.com/resources/videos-surgeon-segment/pm4IGphi60uoqAFTx8AVug/high-ankle-sprain-surgical-treatment-with-the-syndesmosis-tightrope-implant

13 hours ago, PepPep said:

Just making a point that big time schools rush big time athletes back onto the field ALL THE TIME to (in the big picture) make millions off their backs. Every single big time program does it. Not just BAMA. From pumping the kids full of drugs to make them heal faster and the pain go away to looking the other way on concussions, etc., etc. Aaron Hernandez's brain was mush at 27 and there's countless examples. It goes from college on to the NFL. At least in the NFL the players get paid millions, they are older, and they know (to an extent) what they are getting into. These are supposed to be learning institutions and the players get paid nothing. The least thing they can do is take care of them. I'm sorry man, it might be your alma mater but if you really think that Florida of all schools is any different you are mistaken.  

Fair, this stuff happens but I dont recall any being as egregious as what Bama has done to this kid.