JetNation

Early Developments Have Jets Postioned to Snag Left Tackle in Round 1

Becton.jpg

Just a few weeks ago, there were multiple NFL mock drafts and armchair GM’s who had the Jets opting to go with a wide receiver in round 1 as the top three offensive tackles (Andrew Thomas, Jedrick Wills and Tristan Wirfs) were projected to be gone when the Jets were on the clock at 11.  Fast forward to today and three significant things have happened that could have the Jets poised to snag a top pass protector in that spot without having to “reach” or trade up.

First off, Louisville left tackle Mehki Becton, whom we suggested could be in the conversation at 11  a month ago, is being consistently projected as a top 11 pick by the likes of Daniel Jeremiah, Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, and Matt Miller.  Moving Becton from round 2 to the top 10 meant another body for the Jets to choose from as another tackle enters the mix.  Even then, there were concerns that all four could go in the top 10, leaving the Jets on the outside looking in.  Then the senior bowl happened, and another standout emerged.

Houston left tackle Josh Jones had twitter abuzz with his dominating performance throughout the week, earning himself some chatter as a possible early first round choice.  Last week, Todd McShay sat down with Mel Kiper to look at a second shot at a mock draft and this time around, Jones became the latest left tackle to enter the top 10.   In that scenario, Becton fell to the Jets at 11.

While some may worry that Jones is a late riser who wasn’t in the conversation early on, consider this.  He’s a redshirt freshman who went on to play four full seasons in a program that likes to throw, throw and throw some more, meaning he’s going to be the most experienced left tackle by a wide margin in pass protection.  That, coupled with his performance during Senior Bowl week should ease some concerns.

So if the so-called experts are right in their evaluations, there are now five offensive tackles worthy of going in the top 11 after listing just three a few weeks earlier.

And finally, after the two tackles began opening eyes and earning high praise, one team viewed as a major consideration in drafting one of those tackles, the Los Angeles Chargers, are likely out of that market after agreeing to part ways with long-time quarterback Philip Rivers.

Should the Chargers in fact go with a quarterback such Justin Herbert, and the top two picks go as expected (QB Joe Burrows and DE/OLB Chase Young 1 and 2 respectively), that would leave five offensive tackles with 8 teams left to pick, and there are plenty of players who don’t play the position but are viewed as virtual locks to go in the top 10 such as Clemson’s Isaiah Simmons and Ohio State cornerback Jeff Okudah.

In addition, if Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovaiola checks out medically at the combine, he enters the fray as another top 10 pick.

Plenty can change between now and the draft, but barring a disastrous showing from one of the top five tackles, Joe Douglas and the Jets should be poised to improve the protection around Sam Darnold for both the near and distant future.

The post Early Developments Have Jets Postioned to Snag Left Tackle in Round 1 appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
h05XDaCzYyk

Click here to read the full story...

Now that I got my daily dose of snark out, I doubt that JD's list of acceptable OTs at 11 will be 5-deep.  But since we don't really know which ones he prefers, this is all very good news.  I still think you set up a trade to 9 if there is a big gap and only one of your guys is left there, but it feels like the stars have aligned to get us a 1st-round OL this year. 

And to think that as our pick comes up, Macc will be screaming at his TV "Get the Safety, Delpit, you fools!" only makes me happier.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

A left tackle drafted at 11 will cost 1/3 of what Beachum will cost.  If they can play at least as well, it’s a no brainer. 

Franchise Robbie, draft a WR at 2, sign Lewis, Glasgow (G or C), try and sign Conklin or another RT.  

Then draft BPA the rest of the way.  The Jets need players. 

• Upvote 3

Anyone can whiff with a draft selection. But JD seems at least to understand "need," which at least takes care of one variable in drafting well, especially in early round.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Just now, varjet said:

A left tackle drafted at 11 will cost 1/3 of what Beachum will cost.  If they can play at least as well, it’s a no brainer. 

Franchise Robbie, draft a WR at 2, sign Lewis, Glasgow (G or C), try and sign Conklin or another RT.  

Yes, Macc had it exactly backward. He draft BAP in round 1 and then took wild swings (and misses) trying to fill holes in the later rounds. Agree with your approach.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Just now, varjet said:

if the jets sign conklin i would think lamb is a possibility at 11.  i think he will be better than jeudy and an instant star.  but if they don't sign him, they're pretty much tied to a tackle at 11 who starts at least on the right side year 1.

• Upvote 2

Just now, varjet said:

You still need to sign a starting caliber FA LT though.  You can’t go into the draft NEEDING to draft your starting LT.  

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Just now, sec101row23 said:

You still need to sign a starting caliber FA LT though.  You can’t go into the draft NEEDING to draft your starting LT.  

x100. Then if you do get your guy in the draft, you have depth. A foreign concept to Macc unless he was talking about how much coffee is left in his cup.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

i think beachum returning is a must, even if they sign conklin.  you can't go into the draft that thin at LT.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

i think beachum returning is a must, even if they sign conklin.  you can't go into the draft that thin at LT.  

Plus, and I may be wrong about this, doesn't an LT usually have the skills to swing inside?

Just now, jgb said:

Plus, and I may be wrong about this, does an LT usually have the skills to play other positions on the line?

not sure if beachum ever played RT, but maybe they'd move him there if they drafted someone who could play LT.  IDK.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

x100. Then if you do get your guy in the draft, you have depth. A foreign concept to Macc unless he was talking about how much coffee is left in his cup.

True.  How nice would it be to have Beachum plus let’s say Becton?  You can start Becton on the right side initially or if Becton looks good swap Beachum to the RT.   There’s been so little options for this O-line recently that we forget what it’s like to have choices, especially decent choices.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, Augustiniak said:

not sure if beachum ever played RT, but maybe they'd move him there if they drafted someone who could play LT.  IDK.

I was thinking more moving inside. RT usually needs to be a road-grader type, no?

Just now, sec101row23 said:

True.  How nice would it be to have Beachum plus let’s say Becton?  You can start Becton on the right side initially or if Becton looks good swap Beachum to the RT.   There’s been so little options for this O-line recently that we forget what it’s like to have choices, especially decent choices.  

RT is critical for the jets.  darnold has been injured a few times already b/c shell and edoga whiffed on blocks.  plus he likes to roll out to the right.  wirfs would really be a solid pick for this team.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Now that I got my daily dose of snark out, I doubt that JD's list of acceptable OTs at 11 will be 5-deep.  But since we don't really know which ones he prefers, this is all very good news.  I still think you set up a trade to 9 if there is a big gap and only one of your guys is left there, but it feels like the stars have aligned to get us a 1st-round OL this year. 

And to think that as our pick comes up, Macc will be screaming at his TV "Get the Safety, Delpit, you fools!" only makes me happier.

Ugggh, do not like the idea of trading up no matter what. Would have to believe if the top 5 OLmen are off the board we go Juedy or Lamb. No?  In a perfect (and shocking ) world to Jets fans we trade down (hope). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JetNation said:

Last week, Todd McShay sat down with Mel Kiper to look at a second shot at a mock draft and this time around, Jones became the latest left tackle to enter the top 10.   In that scenario, Becton fell to the Jets at 11.

Now this, this is a science.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Copernicus said:

Ugggh, do not like the idea of trading up no matter what. Would have to believe if the top 5 OLmen are off the board we go Juedy or Lamb. No?  In a perfect (and shocking ) world to Jets fans we trade down (hope). 

I get it.  But I don't think there are 5 top OL in JD's eyes.  More likely 2, maybe 3 that he prefers far above the others.  Let's say for him, it's Wirfs, Will and Thomas far above Becton and Jones.  At the 9-slot, only one of the top-3 is left and CLE is slobbering. 

Would you trade #11 and #79 for #9 and #113?  Same number of picks, but you slide down from mid-3rd to early-4th in order to get who you think will be your franchise LT.  To me, that's a no-brainer only if that situation develops.  More value goes to JAX in that trade and they almost certainly get the same guy they would have taken at 9 since NYJ and CLE are mortal locks to take OT.  Just something to ponder....

43 minutes ago, nycdan said:

A solid RT would be acceptable at # 11 as well.  I don't think its LT or bust.  At this stage beggars can't be choosers when it comes to the OT spots.  

Bring back Beachum, draft the RT and hopefully start him right away, and then go from there.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I get it.  But I don't think there are 5 top OL in JD's eyes.  More likely 2, maybe 3 that he prefers far above the others.  Let's say for him, it's Wirfs, Will and Thomas far above Becton and Jones.  At the 9-slot, only one of the top-3 is left and CLE is slobbering. 

Would you trade #11 and #79 for #9 and #113?  Same number of picks, but you slide down from mid-3rd to early-4th in order to get who you think will be your franchise LT.  To me, that's a no-brainer only if that situation develops.  More value goes to JAX in that trade and they almost certainly get the same guy they would have taken at 9 since NYJ and CLE are mortal locks to take OT.  Just something to ponder....

Same amount of picks? I would strongly consider if we are talking about a franchise LT that Douglas loves. However it will be seriously criticized by the masses. Douglas will need thick skin 

17 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Same amount of picks? I would strongly consider if we are talking about a franchise LT that Douglas loves. However it will be seriously criticized by the masses. Douglas will need thick skin 

When the camera shows CLE's new GM slamming his fist on the table and throwing his coffee at an intern after the trade is announced, the masses will be mollified :)

1 hour ago, varjet said:

If we Franchise Anderson, I'm going to pay for a billboard myself to have JD fired. 

OK, I probably won't do that but the amount of post I'll put up describing his stupidity might be like a billboard. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JetNation said:

Becton.jpg

Just a few weeks ago, there were multiple NFL mock drafts and armchair GM’s who had the Jets opting to go with a wide receiver in round 1 as the top three offensive tackles (Andrew Thomas, Jedrick Wills and Tristan Wirfs) were projected to be gone when the Jets were on the clock at 11.  Fast forward to today and three significant things have happened that could have the Jets poised to snag a top pass protector in that spot without having to “reach” or trade up.

First off, Louisville left tackle Mehki Becton, whom we suggested could be in the conversation at 11  a month ago, is being consistently projected as a top 11 pick by the likes of Daniel Jeremiah, Mel Kiper, Todd McShay, and Matt Miller.  Moving Becton from round 2 to the top 10 meant another body for the Jets to choose from as another tackle enters the mix.  Even then, there were concerns that all four could go in the top 10, leaving the Jets on the outside looking in.  Then the senior bowl happened, and another standout emerged.

Houston left tackle Josh Jones had twitter abuzz with his dominating performance throughout the week, earning himself some chatter as a possible early first round choice.  Last week, Todd McShay sat down with Mel Kiper to look at a second shot at a mock draft and this time around, Jones became the latest left tackle to enter the top 10.   In that scenario, Becton fell to the Jets at 11.

While some may worry that Jones is a late riser who wasn’t in the conversation early on, consider this.  He’s a redshirt freshman who went on to play four full seasons in a program that likes to throw, throw and throw some more, meaning he’s going to be the most experienced left tackle by a wide margin in pass protection.  That, coupled with his performance during Senior Bowl week should ease some concerns.

So if the so-called experts are right in their evaluations, there are now five offensive tackles worthy of going in the top 11 after listing just three a few weeks earlier.

And finally, after the two tackles began opening eyes and earning high praise, one team viewed as a major consideration in drafting one of those tackles, the Los Angeles Chargers, are likely out of that market after agreeing to part ways with long-time quarterback Philip Rivers.

Should the Chargers in fact go with a quarterback such Justin Herbert, and the top two picks go as expected (QB Joe Burrows and DE/OLB Chase Young 1 and 2 respectively), that would leave five offensive tackles with 8 teams left to pick, and there are plenty of players who don’t play the position but are viewed as virtual locks to go in the top 10 such as Clemson’s Isaiah Simmons and Ohio State cornerback Jeff Okudah.

In addition, if Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovaiola checks out medically at the combine, he enters the fray as another top 10 pick.

Plenty can change between now and the draft, but barring a disastrous showing from one of the top five tackles, Joe Douglas and the Jets should be poised to improve the protection around Sam Darnold for both the near and distant future.

The post Early Developments Have Jets Postioned to Snag Left Tackle in Round 1 appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

h05XDaCzYyk

Click here to read the full story...

Honestly, this pick is too important to screw up. I don't want a guy that nobody noticed for 4 years and then all of a sudden has a great week and everyone thinks he is a sure thing at LT at the NFL level. If the guys that have been on the OL radar the entire year are not there at 11, take a WR, Hell, trade down if you think this is the best you are going to do at OL and you are dead set against drafting any other position. This is a gamble and we shouldn't gamble. We need to give Sam a chance to shine. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

He has played RT. For Pittsburgh early in his career.

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Honestly, this pick is too important to screw up. I don't want a guy that nobody noticed for 4 years and then all of a sudden has a great week and everyone thinks he is a sure thing at LT at the NFL level. If the guys that have been on the OL radar the entire year are not there at 11, take a WR, Hell, trade down if you think this is the best you are going to do at OL and you are dead set against drafting any other position. This is a gamble and we shouldn't gamble. We need to give Sam a chance to shine. 

In my mind the only acceptable 3 OT’s for #11 at this moment are Thomas,  Wirfs and Becton. I really want CeeDee Lamb.

• Upvote 3

Go WR in round 2 or 3.  Lots of depth there.  Get LT in the first, then C or best OL available in the 2nd or 3rd.

Yeah, the Jets will likely sign a vet to compete at LT, maybe Beachum, but they really need to heavily emphasize the draft and look to draft 2 starters and 2 additional developmental/depth guys.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

If Jamal Adams isn't traded before the draft, then it's a lock that all five OTs will be picked before our turn.  And until that time, none of the Puppy Bowl puppies will be adopted either.  It's really horrible.  Think of the puppies!

Only 10 picks are before us and there are 5 OTs worthy of our pick more than likely. In the top 10 at least 2 QBs will go and maybe 3 since the Fins, Cincy and Chargers currently need a QB prospect most likely in the top of the 1st round with Burrow, Hubert, and Tua there. That leaves only 2 picks where Chase Young has to be one and LB Simmons along with the top CB will most likely be picked ahead of Jets. Now does that mean we will be happy with any of the OTs at our spot or would rather we get one of the 3 that are more natural or pure LTs like Andrew, Beckton, or Jones?. Not sure. But the other 2 Wills and Wirfs whom have played more RT could possibly transition to LT, not to mention upgrade at RT we can also use. We not only need protection for Darnold overall, but you get a big part of your protection for the QB by having road graters at any Oline position to consistently have a very good running game that as we have seen with our team and others always makes life much easier for QBs. Heck, Sanchez nearly got to SBs with that and we know he was no better than QBs like Dilfer who also got a SB based a lot on running and of course a shutdown D. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Copernicus said:

I don't think we will, but it's funny to see fans poo poo the idea of trading up while simultaneous having the idea of "OT or bust!"

I don't believe that all 4 OTs will be off the board. But I also don't believe that JD will have a similar grade for all 4 or even like all of them. He might like Thomas and Becton, but not like Wills and Wirfs (I have a sneaky suspicion that he might view Wirfs as a Guard).

Trading up would ensure that JD gets his OT and not just whatever OT is left on the board (who he may not even like). If you're in the "OT or bust" camp, you should like that

Can’t wait for next months headline about how all 5 guys are either injured, lazy, woman beaters, and/or druggies.

Follow that up with early April’s reports about 2 other super secret OL risers.

Then draft day comes, and the same 3 who were projected to go top 10 last month go top 10, and the other 2 mid 1st to mid 2nd.

Draft should happen NOW in February!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

Athletic, nimble, zone-blocking guys seem to be the preferred choice of Gase.  I'd have to assume that Joe Douglas is on that same page.

I agree that Joe D won't simply have a list of his Top 5 and take his highest rated guy available at #11.  In fact, I think there could be guys outside of Round 1 that pique his curiosity like Prince Wanogho or Matthew Peart.

The one highly rated guy who is expected to go Top 10 but that some people don't believe the Jets have huge interest in is Jedrick Wills.  I forget where I heard that but there definitely seems to be some "fit" preferences with the Jets.  Who knows, it could easily be the case that guys like Jedrick Wills and Mekhi Becton don't fit in the Jets plans but that a guy like Josh Jones is a favorite.  @bitonti has alluded to Jones before as a possible target.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Athletic, nimble, zone-blocking guys seem to be the preferred choice of Gase.  I'd have to assume that Joe Douglas is on that same page.

I agree that Joe D won't simply have a list of his Top 5 and take his highest rated guy available at #11.  In fact, I think there could be guys outside of Round 1 that pique his curiosity like Prince Wanogho or Matthew Peart.

The one highly rated guy who is expected to go Top 10 but that some people don't believe the Jets have huge interest in is Jedrick Wills.  I forget where I heard that but there definitely seems to be some "fit" preferences with the Jets.  Who knows, it could easily be the case that guys like Jedrick Wills and Mekhi Becton don't fit in the Jets plans but that a guy like Josh Jones is a favorite.  @bitonti has alluded to Jones before as a possible target.

i agree on jones, he will rise throughout the draft process.  my big question regarding douglas is, how much is he willing to deviate from his draft board to address OL?  if jones is, say, 15th on his board, and is the best available OT at 11, but jeudy is there and he's 9th, what does he do?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JetNation said:

Even then, there were concerns that all four could go in the top 10, leaving the Jets on the outside looking in.

eh, 4 OL, Young, 3 QBs at least one WR? Were are the LBs, CBs and whoever else goes on D?

I guess it could happen but seems pretty unlikely.  

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i agree on jones, he will rise throughout the draft process.  my big question regarding douglas is, how much is he willing to deviate from his draft board to address OL?  if jones is, say, 15th on his board, and is the best available OT at 11, but jeudy is there and he's 9th, what does he do?

Great question.  I think the moves in FA will determine how much flexibility he has.  If the Jets bring back Beachum, if they sign a RT or think Edoga can play there in Year 2, etc. and if Douglas has some OT targets he'd be comfortable with in Round 2 or 3, then that frees him up to take what comes to him at #11.  Personally, I'd hate to see the Jets take the #15 guy on their board just because he's a LT when they have the #8 or 9 guy (Jeudy, Lamb, etc.) staring them in the face.

We'll have to see how this plays out.  Trading back from #11 into the #14-18 range could be an option too, as could trading up from #48 to try to get the 6th or 7th best OT.