JetNation

Early Developments Have Jets Postioned to Snag Left Tackle in Round 1

Just now, varjet said:

A left tackle drafted at 11 will cost 1/3 of what Beachum will cost.  If they can play at least as well, it’s a no brainer. 

Franchise Robbie, draft a WR at 2, sign Lewis, Glasgow (G or C), try and sign Conklin or another RT.  

Then draft BPA the rest of the way.  The Jets need players. 

if the jets sign conklin i would think lamb is a possibility at 11.  i think he will be better than jeudy and an instant star.  but if they don't sign him, they're pretty much tied to a tackle at 11 who starts at least on the right side year 1.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, sec101row23 said:

You still need to sign a starting caliber FA LT though.  You can’t go into the draft NEEDING to draft your starting LT.  

i think beachum returning is a must, even if they sign conklin.  you can't go into the draft that thin at LT.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, jgb said:

Plus, and I may be wrong about this, does an LT usually have the skills to play other positions on the line?

not sure if beachum ever played RT, but maybe they'd move him there if they drafted someone who could play LT.  IDK.

• Upvote 1

Just now, sec101row23 said:

True.  How nice would it be to have Beachum plus let’s say Becton?  You can start Becton on the right side initially or if Becton looks good swap Beachum to the RT.   There’s been so little options for this O-line recently that we forget what it’s like to have choices, especially decent choices.  

RT is critical for the jets.  darnold has been injured a few times already b/c shell and edoga whiffed on blocks.  plus he likes to roll out to the right.  wirfs would really be a solid pick for this team.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Athletic, nimble, zone-blocking guys seem to be the preferred choice of Gase.  I'd have to assume that Joe Douglas is on that same page.

I agree that Joe D won't simply have a list of his Top 5 and take his highest rated guy available at #11.  In fact, I think there could be guys outside of Round 1 that pique his curiosity like Prince Wanogho or Matthew Peart.

The one highly rated guy who is expected to go Top 10 but that some people don't believe the Jets have huge interest in is Jedrick Wills.  I forget where I heard that but there definitely seems to be some "fit" preferences with the Jets.  Who knows, it could easily be the case that guys like Jedrick Wills and Mekhi Becton don't fit in the Jets plans but that a guy like Josh Jones is a favorite.  @bitonti has alluded to Jones before as a possible target.

i agree on jones, he will rise throughout the draft process.  my big question regarding douglas is, how much is he willing to deviate from his draft board to address OL?  if jones is, say, 15th on his board, and is the best available OT at 11, but jeudy is there and he's 9th, what does he do?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Great question.  I think the moves in FA will determine how much flexibility he has.  If the Jets bring back Beachum, if they sign a RT or think Edoga can play there in Year 2, etc. and if Douglas has some OT targets he'd be comfortable with in Round 2 or 3, then that frees him up to take what comes to him at #11.  Personally, I'd hate to see the Jets take the #15 guy on their board just because he's a LT when they have the #8 or 9 guy (Jeudy, Lamb, etc.) staring them in the face.

We'll have to see how this plays out.  Trading back from #11 into the #14-18 range could be an option too, as could trading up from #48 to try to get the 6th or 7th best OT.

if the best they can do at tackle in FA is keep beachum, without upgrading RT to, say, conklin, then they're much more inclined to take a wirfs than address wr in round 1.  and truth, it's too many years in the making to not take someone like wirfs.  

but the quickest way to jumpstart the offense would be to sign conklin, draft lamb and then draft a starting G or C in round 2.  you'd still have enough picks to address cb and rb.  this would really transform the offense quickly.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Wirfs is about to blow up indy and go top 5 possibly to NYG at 4 - of all the tackles he's the least likely to make it to 11

I don't think Thomas or Wills are especially good fits for Gase system. Thomas especially is falling for whatever reason.  

Becton is rising obviously but scares the crap out of me as an anatomical human.

Josh Jones is a true fit for Gase system. 

picking him at 11 seems reachy but he had a great senior bowl and could workout well enough to make it legit.  It wouldn't be a bad pick, wherever it happens. 

this is the one decision that i can see impacting the jets draft.  jones is ranked in the 15-18 range on their board but is a great fit for the offense and can start at LT right away and move beachum to RT unless they've signed conklin.  but a guy like cee dee lamb is ranked 11th on their board.  and if mccagnan were drafting there would be a DT ranked 7th and he'd take that guy.  but how much will douglas deviate from his board to improve the OL, and how much will scheme fit factor into it?

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

it's more like Get the OT at 11 because there are WR all over the draft (especially around the 3rd rd area where they have double picks)

there aren't starting tackles all over the draft 

by the way they elevated Chuma Edoga to RT before he was really ready and they are probably going to give him the job again. 

he and shell are going to keep getting darnold killed.  neither can pass block and shell is at best average in run blocking.  darnold likes to roll out right and he needs protection from that side.  i do agree that taking best available tackle at 11 and best wr in 2nd round is probably better than waiting to fill OL b/c mccagnan and idzik botched this position in particular.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company