JetNation

Early Developments Have Jets Postioned to Snag Left Tackle in Round 1

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

Now that I got my daily dose of snark out, I doubt that JD's list of acceptable OTs at 11 will be 5-deep.  But since we don't really know which ones he prefers, this is all very good news.  I still think you set up a trade to 9 if there is a big gap and only one of your guys is left there, but it feels like the stars have aligned to get us a 1st-round OL this year. 

And to think that as our pick comes up, Macc will be screaming at his TV "Get the Safety, Delpit, you fools!" only makes me happier.

Athletic, nimble, zone-blocking guys seem to be the preferred choice of Gase.  I'd have to assume that Joe Douglas is on that same page.

I agree that Joe D won't simply have a list of his Top 5 and take his highest rated guy available at #11.  In fact, I think there could be guys outside of Round 1 that pique his curiosity like Prince Wanogho or Matthew Peart.

The one highly rated guy who is expected to go Top 10 but that some people don't believe the Jets have huge interest in is Jedrick Wills.  I forget where I heard that but there definitely seems to be some "fit" preferences with the Jets.  Who knows, it could easily be the case that guys like Jedrick Wills and Mekhi Becton don't fit in the Jets plans but that a guy like Josh Jones is a favorite.  @bitonti has alluded to Jones before as a possible target.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i agree on jones, he will rise throughout the draft process.  my big question regarding douglas is, how much is he willing to deviate from his draft board to address OL?  if jones is, say, 15th on his board, and is the best available OT at 11, but jeudy is there and he's 9th, what does he do?

Great question.  I think the moves in FA will determine how much flexibility he has.  If the Jets bring back Beachum, if they sign a RT or think Edoga can play there in Year 2, etc. and if Douglas has some OT targets he'd be comfortable with in Round 2 or 3, then that frees him up to take what comes to him at #11.  Personally, I'd hate to see the Jets take the #15 guy on their board just because he's a LT when they have the #8 or 9 guy (Jeudy, Lamb, etc.) staring them in the face.

We'll have to see how this plays out.  Trading back from #11 into the #14-18 range could be an option too, as could trading up from #48 to try to get the 6th or 7th best OT.

53 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if the best they can do at tackle in FA is keep beachum, without upgrading RT to, say, conklin, then they're much more inclined to take a wirfs than address wr in round 1.  and truth, it's too many years in the making to not take someone like wirfs.  

but the quickest way to jumpstart the offense would be to sign conklin, draft lamb and then draft a starting G or C in round 2.  you'd still have enough picks to address cb and rb.  this would really transform the offense quickly.

I think Wirfs will be gone by #11, possibly to the Browns right before the Jets pick.  Wirfs is almost the perfect guy for this team right now.  He's capable of playing both Left and Right Tackle.  If they brought back Beachum and played Wirfs at RT then Wirfs could move to the left side in 2021.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If Wirfs is there at 9 but Thomas and Wills are gone, do you swap picks #79 and #117 with JAX to move up to 9 and take Wirfs?

Ugh.  Don't do that to me. lol

We need as many picks as possible and I really love having two picks in the 3rd.  A swap to move up two spots to #9 is certainly better than trading a pick outright, but it would be a sign of desperation by Joe D and the Jets IMO.  And, the Jets could certainly be desperate depending upon what happens in FA, but it would be hard to watch the Jets pay to move up 2 spots and then see another player (or two or three) available at #11 that the Jets could use anyway.  Let's not forget that while OLine is a big need, so is WR, so is Edge rusher, so is CB, etc.

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company