Early Developments Have Jets Postioned to Snag Left Tackle in Round 1

JetNation

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Great question.  I think the moves in FA will determine how much flexibility he has.  If the Jets bring back Beachum, if they sign a RT or think Edoga can play there in Year 2, etc. and if Douglas has some OT targets he'd be comfortable with in Round 2 or 3, then that frees him up to take what comes to him at #11.  Personally, I'd hate to see the Jets take the #15 guy on their board just because he's a LT when they have the #8 or 9 guy (Jeudy, Lamb, etc.) staring them in the face.

We'll have to see how this plays out.  Trading back from #11 into the #14-18 range could be an option too, as could trading up from #48 to try to get the 6th or 7th best OT.

if the best they can do at tackle in FA is keep beachum, without upgrading RT to, say, conklin, then they're much more inclined to take a wirfs than address wr in round 1.  and truth, it's too many years in the making to not take someone like wirfs.  

but the quickest way to jumpstart the offense would be to sign conklin, draft lamb and then draft a starting G or C in round 2.  you'd still have enough picks to address cb and rb.  this would really transform the offense quickly.

• Sympathy 1

It does not matter at all who we sign re fa oline in the off season we should be taking one of the top rated ots if they are there for us.   I like the top two Wrs' but there is Wr depth in this draft.  After totally neglecting the oline for so many years we have to make it #1 priority and you almost never can build an oline long term via FA.

Draft an OT at 11 unless all the best ones are gone.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

53 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if the best they can do at tackle in FA is keep beachum, without upgrading RT to, say, conklin, then they're much more inclined to take a wirfs than address wr in round 1.  and truth, it's too many years in the making to not take someone like wirfs.  

but the quickest way to jumpstart the offense would be to sign conklin, draft lamb and then draft a starting G or C in round 2.  you'd still have enough picks to address cb and rb.  this would really transform the offense quickly.

I think Wirfs will be gone by #11, possibly to the Browns right before the Jets pick.  Wirfs is almost the perfect guy for this team right now.  He's capable of playing both Left and Right Tackle.  If they brought back Beachum and played Wirfs at RT then Wirfs could move to the left side in 2021.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I think Wirfs will be gone by #11, possibly to the Browns right before the Jets pick.  Wirfs is almost the perfect guy for this team right now.  He's capable of playing both Left and Right Tackle.  If they brought back Beachum and played Wirfs at RT then Wirfs could move to the left side in 2021.

If Wirfs is there at 9 but Thomas and Wills are gone, do you swap picks #79 and #117 with JAX to move up to 9 and take Wirfs?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

If Wirfs is there at 9 but Thomas and Wills are gone, do you swap picks #79 and #117 with JAX to move up to 9 and take Wirfs?

Ugh.  Don't do that to me. lol

We need as many picks as possible and I really love having two picks in the 3rd.  A swap to move up two spots to #9 is certainly better than trading a pick outright, but it would be a sign of desperation by Joe D and the Jets IMO.  And, the Jets could certainly be desperate depending upon what happens in FA, but it would be hard to watch the Jets pay to move up 2 spots and then see another player (or two or three) available at #11 that the Jets could use anyway.  Let's not forget that while OLine is a big need, so is WR, so is Edge rusher, so is CB, etc.

Wirfs is about to blow up indy and go top 5 possibly to NYG at 4 - of all the tackles he's the least likely to make it to 11

I don't think Thomas or Wills are especially good fits for Gase system. Thomas especially is falling for whatever reason.  

Becton is rising obviously but scares the crap out of me as an anatomical human.

Josh Jones is a true fit for Gase system. 

picking him at 11 seems reachy but he had a great senior bowl and could workout well enough to make it legit.  It wouldn't be a bad pick, wherever it happens. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Wirfs is about to blow up indy and go top 5 possibly to NYG at 4 - of all the tackles he's the least likely to make it to 11

I don't think Thomas or Wills are especially good fits for Gase system. Thomas especially is falling for whatever reason.  

Becton is rising obviously but scares the crap out of me as an anatomical human.

picking him at 11 seems reachy but he had a great senior bowl and could workout well enough to make it legit.  It wouldn't be a bad pick, wherever it happens. 

this is the one decision that i can see impacting the jets draft.  jones is ranked in the 15-18 range on their board but is a great fit for the offense and can start at LT right away and move beachum to RT unless they've signed conklin.  but a guy like cee dee lamb is ranked 11th on their board.  and if mccagnan were drafting there would be a DT ranked 7th and he'd take that guy.  but how much will douglas deviate from his board to improve the OL, and how much will scheme fit factor into it?

If Jones is the guy they think is the best fit, and he's a 15-18 ranked guy, I have no problem taking him at 11.  If he was much lower, and we could drop a few slots, fine, but you don't get cute when it's that close or you can end up taking someone far less valuable to the team.

Having said that, we saw OAK decide Clelin Ferrell was more of a fit than Josh Allen last year.  That decision did not age well LOL.  So it's really going to be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Can we just F*** right off with drafting players to suit Adam Gases 'system'.  If you are going to do that you had better sign him to an 8 year extension before hand.

Lets' pass on 3 or 4 OTs better than the guy we draft because we want some zone blocking lightweight. (Nothing against Jones in particular)

Gase did nothing in Miami and has done less than nothing here on offense and we are going to tailor draft to his specs.

Draft the best guy period and guess what?  Adam Gase, Offensive genius, make it work.

24 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

this is the one decision that i can see impacting the jets draft.  jones is ranked in the 15-18 range on their board but is a great fit for the offense and can start at LT right away and move beachum to RT unless they've signed conklin.  but a guy like cee dee lamb is ranked 11th on their board.  and if mccagnan were drafting there would be a DT ranked 7th and he'd take that guy.  but how much will douglas deviate from his board to improve the OL, and how much will scheme fit factor into it?

it's more like Get the OT at 11 because there are WR all over the draft (especially around the 3rd rd area where they have double picks)

there aren't starting tackles all over the draft 

by the way they elevated Chuma Edoga to RT before he was really ready and they are probably going to give him the job again. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

it's more like Get the OT at 11 because there are WR all over the draft (especially around the 3rd rd area where they have double picks)

there aren't starting tackles all over the draft 

by the way they elevated Chuma Edoga to RT before he was really ready and they are probably going to give him the job again. 

he and shell are going to keep getting darnold killed.  neither can pass block and shell is at best average in run blocking.  darnold likes to roll out right and he needs protection from that side.  i do agree that taking best available tackle at 11 and best wr in 2nd round is probably better than waiting to fill OL b/c mccagnan and idzik botched this position in particular.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

I have a sneaky suspicion Joe Douglas may not be as high on Wirfs.

Remember, Jeremiah and Douglas are close friends. So whenever DJ says "teams I've spoken to feel___" you have to wonder if the Jets are one of those teams

• Upvote 1

A left tackle drafted at 11 will cost 1/3 of what Beachum will cost.  If they can play at least as well, it’s a no brainer. 
Franchise Robbie, draft a WR at 2, sign Lewis, Glasgow (G or C), try and sign Conklin or another RT.  
Then draft BPA the rest of the way.  The Jets need players. 
Franchise Robbie

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

On 2/11/2020 at 9:55 AM, Augustiniak said:

if the jets sign conklin i would think lamb is a possibility at 11.  i think he will be better than jeudy and an instant star.  but if they don't sign him, they're pretty much tied to a tackle at 11 who starts at least on the right side year 1.

Screw WR at 11. Sign 2 OL FA’s and draft best OL at 11. The WR prospects are deep in this draft. The OL must come first. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

On 2/11/2020 at 9:53 AM, varjet said:

A left tackle drafted at 11 will cost 1/3 of what Beachum will cost.  If they can play at least as well, it’s a no brainer. 

Franchise Robbie, draft a WR at 2, sign Lewis, Glasgow (G or C), try and sign Conklin or another RT.  

Then draft BPA the rest of the way.  The Jets need players. 

Why franchise Anderson? Just re-sign him as the highest bidder before doing that. He’s not getting more than 1 year skill-guaranteed anyway (and if he is it’ll be because he took a lower base amount, and that’d still cap out at maybe 1.5 yrs fully guaranteed). The franchise tag for a WR is over $18MM. Anderson isn’t touching that number.

IMO if they sign Conklin to crazy FA money (think $17-19MM/yr range), I think they’ll play him at LT, go WR in round 1, and find a RT in round 3 or 4 to compete with Edoga for the job. Conklin was drafted to be a LT, and the only reason he’s been playing on the right side is they already had an even better one who woke up after they took another tackle with a top 10 pick.

Also I’d never draft pure BPA/BAP until like round 5 (depending on how deep a particular draft’s talent is). Until that point in the draft we still need to look at need + positional value. That’s the price of sinking mega-dollars and high picks into safeties and ILBs and overdoing it at DT, swinging & missing big on a UFA CB and RB, and injury-guaranteeing $20MM to a walking injury report WR. 

On 2/11/2020 at 1:56 PM, Augustiniak said:

At this point, I really don’t care who they draft as long as it is OFFENSE and more offense. 

Darnold needs as much support as possible so he can truly be evaluated.

Gregg Williams seems to be a master at getting something out of nothing.  Which means I wouldn’t mind NOT paying a Safety $15Mill per Year and use those dollars on still more Offense (in an offense driven league).

On 2/11/2020 at 9:50 AM, nycdan said:

Now that I got my daily dose of snark out, I doubt that JD's list of acceptable OTs at 11 will be 5-deep.  But since we don't really know which ones he prefers, this is all very good news.  I still think you set up a trade to 9 if there is a big gap and only one of your guys is left there, but it feels like the stars have aligned to get us a 1st-round OL this year. 

And to think that as our pick comes up, Macc will be screaming at his TV "Get the Safety, Delpit, you fools!" only makes me happier.

If Robby Anderson is not a Jet and Jeudy is sitting there at 11?  

On 2/11/2020 at 1:28 PM, bitonti said:

Josh Jones is interesting. Thought this was a good read:

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2020/2/12/21128993/the-new-york-jets-first-pick-in-the-2020-nfl-draft-is-josh-jones-ot-houston