Ex-Jets WR joining Steelers Mike Tomlins's coaching staff?

joewilly12

NFL rumors: Ex-Jets wide receiver joining Steelers’ Mike Tomlin’s coaching staff?

Updated 8:26 AM; Today 7:58 AM 
Pittsburgh Steelers vs Buffalo Bills, Dec 15, 2019

Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin is looking for a new wide receivers coach.PennLive

Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin’s search for a new wide receivers coach has led him to former New York Jets receiver Jerricho Cotchery, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Bryan McClendon, who was the former offensive coordinator and receivers coach at the University of South Carolina, is at the Steelers’ South Side facility Monday and is the latest candidate to interview for the position of wide receivers coach. Former Steelers receiver Jerricho Cotchery, who was an assistant wide receivers coach for the Carolina Panthers the past three seasons, interviewed for the position Friday.

Tomlin is looking to replace Darryl Drake, who died in August. Ray Sherman filled in as wide receivers coach for the 2019 season.

The 37-year-old Cotchery played 12 seasons in the NFL. He began with the Jets, as a fourth-round pick in the 2004 NFL Draft. He played seven seasons for the Jets, setting career bests with 82 receptions and 1,130 yards receiving in 2007.

But when the Jets traded for Santonio Holmes in 2010, Cotchery’s days were numbered in New York. The Jets released Cotchery in August of 2011, after which he signed with the Steelers. He played three seasons in Pittsburgh, setting a career high with 10 touchdown receptions in 2013, before moving on to the Carolina Panthers, where he played the final two seasons of his career.

Cotchery’s final career numbers include 524 receptions for 6,623 yards receiving and 34 touchdown receptions.

The Post-Gazette reports Cotchery joined Ron Rivera’scoaching staff with the Carolina Panthers in 2017. The Panthers fired Rivera last season.

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Nah he asked for his release in the middle of training camp.(was it?) and I don’t blame him because that was also around the time Derrick Mason and Burris showed up.

He hated them.  He hated what Rex did to the locker room.  Wound up in Pittsburgh.  This has always rubbed me the wrong way.  Always liked Cotch.  

XNUBLIETU6PWMP6JIHVYKZ32YA.jpg

YJETS-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=w

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Cotchery is easily one of my all time favorite Jets

Great, reliable hands, excellent footwork, tough and decent blocker for his size

Some memorable plays....

The TD in the 06 WC game in NE where he went like 75 yards...he took a hit but landed on a DB I think, got up and kept going

2009 WC vs Cinncy he made some nice catches, including a side line catch that Marvin Lewis challenge and lost

The play in OT vs the Browns in 2010 in a 3rd down...pulled a groin yet still made a diving catch for a 1st down

2010 Divisional game in NE, right after Pats scored to make it like 14-11 I think, and momentum going their way, Cotch had a long run after the catch play to set up a TD to Holmes...huge, key play

I wanna say he made a ridiculous diving catch against the Pats on that Thursday night game in 2008 in NE...big game we won in OT with Favre

This is just going off the top of my head, but he was a great Jet and I appreciate how he always seemed to give 110%

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1