Jump to content

Trading Avery?


bla bla bla
 Share

Recommended Posts

I got to thinking the other day about Avery. We'll either pay him $8.5m or we save $6.5m if we cut him, and I'm not sure I see Douglas wanting to pay 2 LBs top 15 money.

The nice thing about Avery's contract, at least as far as I can tell, is that we can release him at any point and save that $6.5m.

If I'm Douglas I hold onto him until the draft, if an OL that you like is available at #9 I'd be calling the Jaguars to move up to leap the Browns. Apparently one of their areas of weakness is their LB core.

I'd offer #11 and Avery (who would only be a $6.5m cap hit for them) to get up to #9. Realistically they will get the same player they probably would have gotten at #9 anyway and pick up a starting LB.

 

Is that reasonable or is a LB coming off an ACL tear not worth it for them to slide down 2 picks? For reference the Draft Trade Value Chart has the move from #11 to #9 as 100 points which would put Avery's value as the late 3rd (pick 100 to be exact)

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Wouldn't mind doing this. I like Avery and all, but eventually we have to start redistributing salaries - away from the ILB's, Safeties & DT's.

Can't see the Jets getting more than a 6th for him.

 

 

Agreed, which is why we should trade Jamal.  

Avery isn't a major hindrance on our ability to attack premium positions of need the next few offseasons.  He comes off the books after 2020 one way or another.

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would much rather pay two Averys than Mosley and Cashman, but we are stuck with Mosley, so I don’t see how we can pay two of them.  

Avery is likely not on the team in 2021.  An extra draft pick is a cheap roster fill.  Would rather do that. 

but we need to consider how much Hewitt and Burgess cost.  If we can get both for the price of Avery, so that. 

i see the Jets getting more players at medium prices rather than a few expensive ones 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Try to trade Williamson if you can.  Doubt we'd get anything more than a 6th rounder if we tried to move him, in which case that isn't a worthwhile avenue.  I'd maybe try to re-work his deal.  

Cutting him outright makes no sense to me.  Just 2 years ago he was one of the top 2 players on the defense.  You don't just get rid of someone like that for nothing. 

It's insane that many of you want to bring back Robby on huge money and hand Jamal $17M+ but somehow draw the line on paying a worthy ILB $6.5M?  Why, because we have some depth at the position, and need that money to try to sign players who will never end up here, like Jack Conklin?  Ridiculous.  

Agreed but Avery is $8.5m not $6.5m but the point is still valid. I guess my question is more so would the Jaguars even entertain the offer? or is Avery's stock too low for them to roll the dice on a quality LB while getting their same player at #11 instead of #9

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Try to trade Williamson if you can.  Doubt we'd get anything more than a 6th rounder if we tried to move him, in which case that isn't a worthwhile avenue.  I'd maybe try to re-work his deal.  

Cutting him outright makes no sense to me.  Just 2 years ago he was one of the top 2 players on the defense.  You don't just get rid of someone like that for nothing. 

It's insane that many of you want to bring back Robby on huge money and hand Jamal $17M+ but somehow draw the line on paying a worthy ILB $6.5M?  Why, because we have some depth at the position, and need that money to try to sign players who will never end up here, like Jack Conklin?  Ridiculous.  

Why don't you think Conklin would come here? It's absolutely realistic imo. 

That aside, the only thing I see as an obstacle toward keeping Williamson is the Mosely contract and how much JD feels is appropriate to allot to the mlb as a position. Not seeing AW and Mosely on the field together was one of the biggest disappointments of this last season to me. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Why don't you think Conklin would come here? It's absolutely realistic imo. 

1.  He's probably signing back with Tennessee.

2.  Even if he doesn't, there's a lot of teams with cap space and need a RT.  This isn't like last offseason where we have more cap space than everybody else.  The Mosley contract ensured that.  He'll have a pick of a lot of destinations.  Why would he choose here?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Agreed but Avery is $8.5m not $6.5m but the point is still valid. I guess my question is more so would the Jaguars even entertain the offer? or is Avery's stock too low for them to roll the dice on a quality LB while getting their same player at #11 instead of #9

Averys injury was the start of some bad Mojo. See what happens when you have too many Williamsons? Gotta use 1st names, one gets hurt, the other gets traded. And Q Williams lost his son somewhere along the line. 

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Agreed but Avery is $8.5m not $6.5m but the point is still valid. I guess my question is more so would the Jaguars even entertain the offer? or is Avery's stock too low for them to roll the dice on a quality LB while getting their same player at #11 instead of #9

 

The $2M is already his whether we cut him or not.

The question is whether we pay him the $6.5M or cut him.  

And we'd need a lot more than just Avery Williamson to jump from 11 to 9.  Williamson probably has no more than a 5th round value based on his age, contract, and last year's injury.  We'd need to throw in another pick too for them to entertain an offer like that.  OR they'd just want picks, not Avery.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

 

Agreed, which is why we should trade Jamal.  

Avery isn't a major hindrance on our ability to attack premium positions of need the next few offseasons.  He comes off the books after 2020 one way or another.

TROLL OF THE YEAR AWARD 

Every thread is about Jamal Adams 

SHUT UP ALREADY. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

We need to cut Avery before FA. Used his figures to desperately patch our OL. 

Cutting Avery won't give us much help towards rebuilding the OL in the short-term.  Saving $6.5M won't make a big difference there, and I doubt any high-profile FA's are coming here anyways.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Cutting Avery won't give us much help towards rebuilding the OL in the short-term.  Saving $6.5M won't make a big difference there, and I doubt any high-profile FA's are coming here anyways.  

We save $8.5 mil in cash spending and $6.5 mil in cap spending. $8.5 mil is a lot of money. A couple mil more can place you in a bracket to sign the top G.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my mind he’s an obvious cut. 
 

the replacement players for him held the line, they’re young and cheap and we have several of them

when did $6.5 million not become a lot of money. That’s a starting Guard salary, which btw we need 2 of.  
 

we have enough salary in the middle of the defense already. I don’t think any team trades for him but I’d take anything and if not then cut him.

great guy, good player, wish him the best

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

We save $8.5 mil in cash spending and $6.5 mil in cap spending. $8.5 mil is a lot of money. A couple mil more can place you in a bracket to sign the top G.

The $2M is Avery's regardless.  We'd only save $6.5M.  

 

4 minutes ago, David Harris said:

when did $6.5 million not become a lot of money. That’s a starting Guard salary, which btw we need 2 of.  

There aren't really any quality FA Guard candidates at the moment.  Scherff is average at best and will want to be paid like a top 5 G.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...