playtowinthegame

Myles Garrett reinstated by NFL

Myles Garrett reinstated by NFL

This week’s meeting must have been a good one.

According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Browns defensive end Myles Garrett has been reinstated by the NFL.

Garrett was given an indefinite suspension last November for clocking Steelers quarterback Mason Rudolph with his own helmet. He ended up missing the final six games of he season.

Commissioner Roger Goodell met with Garrett on Monday, and was apparently convinced that Garrett was contrite.

The Browns issued a statement moments later.

“We welcome Myles back to our organization with open arms,” Browns General Manager Andrew Berry said. “We know he is grateful to be reinstated, eager to put the past behind him and continue to evolve and grow as a leader. We look forward to having his strong positive presence back as a teammate, player and person in our community.”

• Butt Fumble 1

The Browns really are the most douche-riddled roster I can ever remember.  They so quickly went from the sad sack underdogs you can't help but root for to the miserable failures that everyone else enjoys the tears of.

Berry and Stefanski both seriously have their work cut out for them, but then again, that's also the reason their incredibly short resumes were enough to get them those jobs in the first place.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The Browns really are the most douche-riddled roster I can ever remember.  They so quickly went from the sad sack underdogs you can't help but root for to the miserable failures that everyone else enjoys the tears of.

Berry and Stefanski both seriously have their work cut out for them, but then again, that's also the reason their incredibly short resumes were enough to get them those jobs in the first place.

Yep.  @HessStation turned on them so quickly.  Now he roots for a more wholesome team in the Titans.  

• Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Welp, 6 games suspended with contrition is the going rate for swinging a NFL helmet to the head. 

That was the first thing I thought after reading this. 

Way to go commissioner. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The only reinstatement I care about is Pete Rose and MLB.

Never happen.

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

Never happen.

Hope springs eternal.

What the Astros players did was 100 times worse than what Rose did, in my view *.  And no Astros player has suffered even a single game suspenstion for multiple years of cheating and a title that should rightfully and clearly be marked with a *. 

*Rose never bet against his own team. If he did, that's rightfully fatal.  I don't excuse it, but it was as a manager, as a player he belongs in the Hall, period.  We have dozens of materially worse and more corrupt people in the Hall today.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Hope springs eternal.

What the Astros players did was 100 times worse than what Rose did, in my view *.  And no Astros player has suffered even a single game suspenstion for multiple years of cheating and a title that should rightfully and clearly be marked with a *. 

*Rose never bet against his own team. If he did, that's rightfully fatal.  I don't excuse it, but it was as a manager, as a player he belongs in the Hall, period.  We have dozens of materially worse and more corrupt people in the Hall today.

He lied to the Commissioner. He had many chances to come clean, and didn't. If it ever happens, which I seriously doubt, it will be after he dies.As horrible as it sounds, I don't think baseball will ever want him to have it happen while he's still with us.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, section314 said:

He lied to the Commissioner. He had many chances to come clean, and didn't. If it ever happens, which I seriously doubt, it will be after he dies.As horrible as it sounds, I don't think baseball will ever want him to have it happen while he's still with us.

All those juicing players didn't lie? 

I couldn't give a crap about Rose, but @Warfish has got a point. It's not like the hall is populated by nothing but choir boys. Far from it. To single that out as a worse crime than getting caught overtly and repeatedly cheating, whether stealing signs or blatantly cheating by juicing like Clemens, Bonds, Bagwell, and how many others. Or before that, how many like Schmidt admitted to popping greenies (as well as the estimates that upwards of 80-90% of MLBers like him were using amphetamines)? The league obviously knew, and over the years it's hard to imagine none of them lied about it if ever confronted.

Again I don't give it more than 5 min thought once every 10-20 years, but the guy's 75 years old. With all the players caught cheating and getting slaps on the wrist, who even cares anymore? Because Rose was asked directly and the thousands of cheaters weren't (but who would have certainly denied wrongdoing if they were)? That's kind of a ticky-tack rationalization.

You can last word me, which is fine. I don't have a dog in this race, since I have barely watched MLB since the 70s-90s.

• Upvote 2

There is an assumption of risk on that field and it’s a huge risk.

Garret’s conduct surpassed that already huge risk and could have killed a guy.

You take those guys off the field (I understand the context is important) and what kind of charges would be possible? whos a da? Facing what, 15 years?

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Hope springs eternal.

How do we know this?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

All those juicing players didn't lie? 

I couldn't give a crap about Rose, but @Warfish has got a point. It's not like the hall is populated by nothing but choir boys. Far from it. To single that out as a worse crime than getting caught overtly and repeatedly cheating, whether stealing signs or blatantly cheating by juicing like Clemens, Bonds, Bagwell, and how many others. Or before that, how many like Schmidt admitted to popping greenies (as well as the estimates that upwards of 80-90% of MLBers like him were using amphetamines)? The league obviously knew, and over the years it's hard to imagine none of them lied about it if ever confronted.

Again I don't give it more than 5 min thought once every 10-20 years, but the guy's 75 years old. With all the players caught cheating and getting slaps on the wrist, who even cares anymore? Because Rose was asked directly and the thousands of cheaters weren't (but who would have certainly denied wrongdoing if they were)? That's kind of a ticky-tack rationalization.

You can last word me, which is fine. I don't have a dog in this race, since I have barely watched MLB since the 70s-90s.

The only thing I think Rose might have going in his favor is the fact that every sport now known to mankind is in bed with all types of gambling sites.

I'm mostly okay with his reinstatement, although I think it would have been smart to give him just one more game in 2020, even if it was a symbolic Pre-season game.  I think it's important as a deterrent and to remind everyone at the start of the season that this kind of stuff is simply unacceptable.  He paid his price IMO with a 6-game suspension that effectively ended his 2019 season, but I just think a light should be shined on this again at the start of the year, even if just briefly.  With the reinstatement happening now this whole episode kind of gets buried and will be forgotten by the time the NFL starts to ramp up again in August/September.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Welp, 6 games suspended with contrition is the going rate for swinging a NFL helmet to the head. 

I would never expect anything judicious from Goodell.  He's best and most often executed "football move" is stepping on his own dick.

1 hour ago, section314 said:

The only thing I think Rose might have going in his favor is the fact that every sport now known to mankind is in bed with all types of gambling sites.

Was there a bunch of evidence that he bet against the team he was managing? I can't remember, but if there wasn't, then meh. That'd be a bigger smoking gun than gambling at all (and initially lying about it when confronted, as though that isn't what every rule-breaker does). 

He's an old fart now, and he took the hits record away from Cobb who was apparently one of the game's great scumbags.

• Sharpening spikes (which should have landed him in jail) = nothing.
  • Juicing = barely raises an eyebrow.
  • Drunks = nothing.
  • Womanizers & outright wife beaters = nothing.
  • Suspended for a while or did a little time = "he's paid his debt to [society / the league / whatever]" lol.
  • All the merciless bigots for however many decades = well, you gotta understand those were different times back then.
  • BUT betting on your team to win and getting caught denying it = lifetime ban and the only player ever to receive this punishment (including those who served or are deservedly serving hard time ffs).

Again it's not a big deal to me, but meh to those morals.

OK, now you can last-word me lol.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Apache 51 said:

How do we know this?

I don't know it. 

It's what I have always heard reported.  That he bet on baseball, including betting on (for) his team, but that he was not shown to have bet against his team.

I agree, that is the most likely outcome.  He dies, and within a few years he is in the Hall as a player, with a huge disclaimer about his gambling.

The leagues have always wanted it both ways, a rabid gambling fanbase combined with "who, us?" pretension that their own players and staff would never ever cheat, give inside info, or gamble.

What Rose did was wrong, period, endstop.

It is no more wrong, and no less, than what those Astros players all did.  And not one of them will miss a single game for having literally stolen a World Series title.  It's wrong, and it should be rectified....before the man dies.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The leagues have always wanted it both ways, a rabid gambling fanbase combined with "who, us?" pretension that their own players and staff would never ever cheat, give inside info, or gamble.

What Rose did was wrong, period, endstop.

It is no more wrong, and no less, than what those Astros players all did.  And not one of them will miss a single game for having literally stolen a World Series title.  It's wrong, and it should be rectified....before the man dies.

I don't disagree with you. I was fortunate to see Pete play many times vs the Mets, including the brawl in the 1973 playoffs in game #3 that I went to with my Dad. I am only stating what I believe  will continue to be the policy, not what I think should happen. Personally, I just have a hard time believing that the guy who has the most hits in the history of the game isn't in the HOF.

• Upvote 1

Too soon.

He attacked Rudolph with a weapon, and could have seriously injured or killed him.

For that, he gets a fine and misses 6, essentially meaningless, games.

He should have sat for at least 4 more games to start this season.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The NFL prostitutes it’s self over players with talent. Throw Tyreek Hill in with that. There are others but morals go out the window if they can play. Garrett is a great player but dirty as ****. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, David Harris said:

Rooting for this guy- 

hope the bad rep stops here for him

A real underdog 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

The NFL prostitutes it’s self over players with talent. Throw Tyreek Hill in with that. There are others but morals go out the window is they can play. Garrett is a great player but dirty as ****. 

Garrett isn't even good enough to get that kind of special treatment.  Yeah, he was a # 1 overall pick and 30.5 sacks in 37 games is impressive.  But if you were to do a 2017 re-draft, he'd probably be picked somewhere between 3rd-7th overall.

6 hours ago, KRL said:

At minimum his suspension should've been 8 games. He should sit for the first 2 games next year.  Weak

Still could be.  Reinstated means hes a football payer again.  Not that he plays opening day.  Right?

Though I expect hes done.

Woud have been more if the Browns didnt suck up getting into the playoffs