Jump to content

Myles Garrett reinstated by NFL


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Garrett isn't even good enough to get that kind of special treatment.  Yeah, he was a # 1 overall pick and 30.5 sacks in 37 games is impressive.  But if you were to do a 2017 re-draft, he'd probably be picked somewhere between 3rd-7th overall.

Well it looks like 2017 was a very special draft, with future HOF’s.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Come on.  It's not like he swung at Tom Brady.  

Assault with a deadly weapon gets you 6 games. smoking weed gets you half the season. Wtf

At minimum his suspension should've been 8 games. He should sit for the first 2 games next year.  Weak

1 hour ago, kelticwizard said:

It's not that Pete Rose cheated trying to win.  It's that gambling almost destroyed pro sports back in 1919, and ever since then the players gambling on their own team is considered verboten.

Players taking payoffs is what did that, no? That's bribery not gambling.

The comparable would be Rose benching his best player(s) because he was paid off to do so, not sometimes betting on his team to win.

Plus he wasn't even lifetime-banned for gambling, but rather for lying about having done it. He wanted to hide a bad thing he did, but so did every cheater from stealing signs to juicing.

Time served seems adequate. But baseball is boring af anyway. And Rose shmoze. I just like to argue with people -- more entertaining for me than watching 9 innings on TV.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Lmao. Always coming to the defense. Hopefully an OT will take care of him instead. 

Really? I dont think you could point to any comments made by me defending Myles Garrett actions. I dont think I've ever even spoken about the Myles Garrett/Mason Rudolph situation on this forum. This isnt the first thread on the topic. I believe that was my first ever comment on the situation and it happened months ago. 

Mentioning facts shouldn't be viewed as a "defense". I never said that Myles was right or justified in what he did, however, I'm not making Rudolph out to be some victim here. Dude was also out of line in how he initially reacted to a football play. 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Lmao. Always coming to the defense. Hopefully an OT will take care of him instead. 

Speaking of defense. Here's the initial thread, created by "you" ironically, regarding the Rudolph/Garrett situation. 

I just told you that I didnt even make a comment on the subject, though I do have a post in the thread that you created, right on page 8. Go check out that post...as it reflected my feelings on the overblown situation as a whole. 

It seems like it's folks always on the "offense" the moment I say something. lmao. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Speaking of defense. Here's the initial thread, created by "you" ironically, regarding the Rudolph/Garrett situation. 

I just told you that I didnt even make a comment on the subject, though I do have a post in the thread that you created, right on page 8. Go check out that post...as it reflected my feelings on the overblown situation as a whole. 

It seems like it's folks always on the "offense" the moment I say something. lmao. 

You set a precedent of who you defend years ago. 
I still stand by 8 games and a fine. 
Your response was funny as sh*t. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, New York Mick said:

You set a precedent of who you defend years ago. 

You sound like you've been chasing ghosts for years now. Let's be honest, you said that I'm "always" coming into the defense of whatever it is you're talking about, yet there's zero documentation of it. I feel like there's some underlying stuff here that you're not really saying, but you indirectly referred to it in this thread, though it was the wrong thread to do so given that this is a topic I've said absolutely nothing about. I havent even gone as far as given an opinion on it. 

Quote

I still stand by 8 games and a fine. 

Your response was funny as sh*t. 

I dont have a problem with your opinion brother. At the end of the day, you dont fling helmets. 👍

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Glad he's reinstated. The remainder of the season was enough. I also doubt Rudolph will attempt to rip off his helmet again. 

Please.  What a brutal thing to do and an embarrassment to the league.  Sends a great message to players, too.  Things aren't going my way so I'm going to bash someone's skull with a piece of equipment.  Just get a few game suspension, no biggie.

SAR I

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SAR I said:

Please.  What a brutal thing to do and an embarrassment to the league.  Sends a great message to players, too.  Things aren't going my way so I'm going to bash someone's skull with a piece of equipment.  Just get a few game suspension, no biggie.

SAR I

The game is inherently brutal. If you try to wrench someone’s helmet of their head and neck then you may get that helmet swung at you. Not condoning it but let’s not pretend it was unprovoked. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

The gabe is inherently brutal. If you try to wrench someone’s helmet of their head and neck them you may get that helmet swung at you. Not condoning it but let’s not pretend it was unprovoked. 

Both parties were guilty.  I'd rather have seen both of them get a full year away from the game then have the outcome we did.

There should be no tolerance for headhunting.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Both parties were guilty.  I'd rather have seen both of them get a full year away from the game then have the outcome we did.

There should be no tolerance for headhunting.

SAR I

Yes, in either direction. Agreed. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Please.  What a brutal thing to do and an embarrassment to the league.  Sends a great message to players, too.  Things aren't going my way so I'm going to bash someone's skull with a piece of equipment.  Just get a few game suspension, no biggie.

SAR I

 

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

The game is inherently brutal. If you try to wrench someone’s helmet off their head and neck then you may get that helmet swung at you. Not condoning it but let’s not pretend it was unprovoked. 

This. ^^^^^^^ 

I'll leave it there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Garrett isn't even good enough to get that kind of special treatment.  Yeah, he was a # 1 overall pick and 30.5 sacks in 37 games is impressive.  But if you were to do a 2017 re-draft, he'd probably be picked somewhere between 3rd-7th overall.

Where would ‘Mal go?

michael jackson smile GIF

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Please.  What a brutal thing to do and an embarrassment to the league.  Sends a great message to players, too.  Things aren't going my way so I'm going to bash someone's skull with a piece of equipment.  Just get a few game suspension, no biggie.

SAR I

Somewhere out there is a doppelgänger of SAR that is a Browns’ fan telling everyone that his playoff prediction was not wrong because no one could’ve foreseen Garrett swinging a helmet like that and getting suspended. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

The gabe is inherently brutal. If you try to wrench someone’s helmet of their head and neck them you may get that helmet swung at you. Not condoning it but let’s not pretend it was unprovoked. 

It's the helmet on his head. Sure there is some context here but the way peeps are categorizing it you would think he brought the BFG from Doom onto the field with him.

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Please.  What a brutal thing to do and an embarrassment to the league.  Sends a great message to players, too.  Things aren't going my way so I'm going to bash someone's skull with a piece of equipment.  Just get a few game suspension, no biggie.

SAR I

The entire premise of the game is to bash someone's body in with equipment. It's a violent sport, sometimes extra violent stuff is going to happen. Stuff like this happens in sports. In boxing when a guy hits a downed opponent he's disqualified and suspended. When dudes are constantly colliding with each other emotions run high. If that concept is too offensive to bear perhaps soccer is more up your alley.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

🔥🔥 🔥🔥 🔥🔥 this week

For whatever reason the American crew I hung out with in Singapore were all from Cleveland. Last off season, they were totally jacked about 2019. But after a few beers, they always admitted the Browns would probably find a way to screw it all up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The entire premise of the game is to bash someone's body in with equipment. It's a violent sport, sometimes extra violent stuff is going to happen. Stuff like this happens in sports. In boxing when a guy hits a downed opponent he's disqualified and suspended. When dudes are constantly colliding with each other emotions run high. If that concept is too offensive to bear perhaps soccer is more up your alley.

This Garrett example was beyond the acceptable level.  It wasn’t some love tap or punch; if he connected as intended he would have fractured the guys skull. Just can’t have that. 

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SAR I said:

This Garrett example was beyond the acceptable level.  It wasn’t some love tap or punch; if he connected as intended he would have fractured the guys skull. Just can’t have that. 

SAR I

Of course you can't have it and of course it's beyond acceptable. That's why he was suspended.

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jgb said:

For whatever reason the American crew I hung out with in Singapore were all from Cleveland. Last off season, they were totally jacked about 2019. But after a few beers, they always admitted the Browns would probably find a way to screw it all up.

gee, what that must feel like

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Of course you can't have it and of course it's beyond acceptable. That's why he was suspended.

Yes, I just think the suspension was too light.  Should have been a full calendar year.

SAR I

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jgb said:

Somewhere out there is a doppelgänger of SAR that is a Browns’ fan telling everyone that his playoff prediction was not wrong because no one could’ve foreseen Garrett swinging a helmet like that and getting suspended. 

A SOBF?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I honestly don’t know. I don’t watch hockey, I don’t even know if anyone has ever intentionally hit a player over the head with his stick like a weapon. 

I've come across alot of 20-game suspensions for players hitting with a stick in hockey.

That's 1/4 of a 82 game hockey season. Garrett served a 6 game suspension which is 1/3 of an NFL season. You stated that you felt like 8 games was the right call. That's half the season...double of what they're giving in hockey.

Garrett was hit with a longer suspension than what they typically get in hockey, and that's specifically for those types of hits. There are plenty of hockey players who get jabbed in the ribs with a hockey stick. That's how many of those fights start in the first place. Those hits literally end up with players in the penalty box for 5 mins for fighting. 

My point is that the man was suspended for a 3rd of the season, that's longer than what hockey players are getting in a sport where you see that type of activity much more often. 

Myles swinging that helmet was ridiculous. But was it more dangerous than this "football play"? 

This hit could have killed Rudolph. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...