yardbarker: Jerry Jones to trade up?

Dcat

4 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Wtf is yardbarker?

and yes id do that trade in a hearbeat

https://www.yardbarker.com/

Ive always like Yardbarker.  It's been around a long time HighPitch.  Mostly compilations. Think Kelly, but with true production capability (vs juvenile gifs) and no gender uncertainty.

13886008.jpg

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is known to get excited around draft time. Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports
fb.pngtwitter.pngflipboard_white.pngreddit.png

Originally posted on Larry Brown Sports
By Steve DelVecchio  |  Last updated 2/12/20

The Dallas Cowboys have the 17th overall pick in the upcoming NFL Draft, but that may not be good enough for owner Jerry Jones.

The Cowboys have several players scheduled to become free agents next month, and they may have to replace some of that talent in the draft. A source close to the team told Tony Pauline of Pro Football Network that Jones “wants to make a big splash” on draft day, which could mean Dallas is going to explore moving up the board.

According to Pauline, the Cowboys have done a lot of scouting work on Ohio State prospects. The biggest Buckeyes prospect is obviously defensive end Chase Young, but he is expected to go as high as No. 2 to the Washington Redskins. It would take a massive haul to move up from No. 17 to No. 2, so that seems unlikely for the Cowboys. 

However, they could target Ohio State star cornerback Jeffrey Okudah, who is considered the best defensive back in the draft. Landing him would certainly qualify as a “big splash” for Dallas.

We all know Jones gets excited around draft time. Sometimes Cowboys executives even have to stop him from getting carried away, which was supposedly the case when Jones was giddy about the potential of drafting Johnny Manziel.

While it would not be a surprise if the Cowboys moved up in the draft, the biggest splashes they could make are with their impending free agents. Quarterback Dak Prescott is still looking for a long-term deal from the team, and wideout Amari Cooper could end up with another team if Dallas is unwilling to shell out big money.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Dcat said:

They say Jones wants to make a big splash and move up.  OK then, how about Dallas #17 + #51 for Jets #11?

yay or nay?

p.s.  traditional value chart:

#11-1250, #17-950, #51-390

obviously it depends on who is sitting there and who's been taken, but yeah. I'd consider that. Having 48 and 51 to go with 68 and 79 is a good way to go about things. It's easier to grab guys in certain tiers that way. So I'd absolutely consider it.  My goal would be to grab Josh Jones or Austin Jackson at 17. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Lith said:

Depends on who is on the board at 11.  If an OT that JD believes can protect Sam for the next decade is on the board at 11 (whether that is Thomas or Becton or Wirfs) then don't get cute.  Take the stud tackle.  If our guy is not on the board, then absolutley, trade back and accumulate picks.

Don't get cute. I like that. 

Last year Dallss released some of their draft war room vids. There was a piece in the 3rd rd when the asst GM was talking to Jerry Jones about gaining an extra 6th or 7th for a trade down in the 3rd. They went round and round for a minute and then JJ said "How about we just take this guy we like instead,"  That guy was Connor McGovern and was the right move. 

Meanwhile Macc was brewing up some craziness about offering a 7th to jump up a single spot to grab Edoga a few picks  later. Then that madness with the 4th rd pick.... ugh. So bad. 

I like how Jerry Jones basically just said, let's stop getting cute and take this kid. That's what I'm hoping Jd is all about. Moving back to gain picks when it's appropriate. Taking the guy we like when he's there. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

They say Jones wants to make a big splash and move up.  OK then, how about Dallas #17 + #51 for Jets #11?

yay or nay?

I would totally do that, but Dallas doesn't trade up all that often.

If one of the WRs is there at 11, Jones could trade up for him.  Cooper may be moving on.

He may also want to get Delpit or another S, although Delpit is mocked to the Cowboys frequently at 17

I don't know why you pay Jamal $15mm/year when you can get Delpit on a rookie contract at 11 or 17.  

Jerry and the Cowboys are not in a long-term build.  He is not getting any younger.  They need to win now.   They cannot stand pat.  They need to mortgage their future for 2020.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

yay or nay?

If you drill down the "wants to trade up" part is based on Pauline Jones speculating his splash "could be moving up" in response to a mail bag question. .

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

yay or nay?

It would take more than that for me to pull the trigger and I don't care what the draft value chart states.....it's only a guideline. If I'm dropping from 11 to 17 I'd want that and a second next year. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

There will be no bigger splash in the NFL Draft than trading the #17 for and a third for Jamal Adams. Cowboys fans will behave as if they won the lottery, even though it’s really just a timeshare in a trailer park.

The D in Joe D doesn't stand for dumb.  His asking price of a 1st and 2 2nds has likely gone up.

As it should.

If cooper leaves in FA could definitely see cowboys trading to 11 for CD or Jeudy - in almost every mock one or both of those WRs gets to 11 but btwn our pick and 17 you could easily see the raiders, colts, or broncos take a WR. Jerry is going to want to win now and think we could definitely get a better deal than the trade chart shows or maybe have them add one of their many OL in the trade and walk away with a proven OL and then pick someone like Josh Jones or Ruggs/Higgins or an edge/CB at 17

12 minutes ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

If cooper leaves in FA could definitely see cowboys trading to 11 for CD or Jeudy - in almost every mock one or both of those WRs gets to 11 but btwn our pick and 17 you could easily see the raiders, colts, or broncos take a WR. Jerry is going to want to win now and think we could definitely get a better deal than the trade chart shows or maybe have them add one of their many OL in the trade and walk away with a proven OL and then pick someone like Josh Jones or Ruggs/Higgins or an edge/CB at 17

I Like This