Rumor: Lions trying to trade Stafford

Augustiniak

1 minute ago, choon328 said:

It seems like there is a growing shift away from giving huge 2nd contracts to good/really good QB's bc it hamstrings the rest of your team financially. 

So you can't give it to the QB.  You can't give it to the RB.  I guess you might as well spend it on the Safety.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

It’s on pro football talk.com.  Not only would this add another veteran qb to the offseason mix, it puts the Lions in a great position to draft Tua, or teams like the dolphins that want Tua would have to trade up to #2.  It also could put the Chargers out of luck too.  Very Interesting.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-lions-trying-trade-matthew-113321933.html

Bart Scott had guessed this months ago.... Good call by him.

He also gave this as part of the reason Chargers would go after Brady... and draft a more developmental QB

11 minutes ago, choon328 said:

It seems like there is a growing shift away from giving huge 2nd contracts to good/really good QB's bc it hamstrings the rest of your team financially. 

Who would that be other than Dak? 

If Dak is even one of those QBs

56 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Yep.  When you pay a guy like Stafford or now, perhaps Prescott, you have a very limited window to get it done.  Makes you wonder what Douglas does to accelerate darnold’s progress in the next 3 months.

This is why they really blew it last off-season. The Jets now only have 3 years to push for a Super Bowl before major resources get devoted to Darnold.  

38 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For sure.  But moving on is going to prove difficult with 4 years left on his current deal.  Who's going to trade assets away to take on that contract? 

The Lions can't cut him this year either, because they'd incur $32M in dead money.  

Oh - didn’t know he had 4 years left. 

42 minutes ago, nycdan said:

DET has killed a number of great careers.  Sanders, Megatron, Herman Moore, Stafford.  They draft you, and you never win and you never get out.  

People make fun of a lot of franchises, the Jets, the Browns, the Raiders.  But DET hasn't won their division since 1993 and hasn't won a single playoff game since 1991.  Almost 30 years.  Ugh.

Happy Bill Murray GIF

33 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Who would that be other than Dak? 

Im just saying in General. Guys like Cam, Stafford, Carr, Flacco, Cousins, Foles, Alex Smith. Teams have been overspending for mid level QB's bc they're desperate. The QBs coming in from college are way more ready than ever before and a lot of that is bc the NFL has shifted into a more college offensive game. 

The reality is if you have a good team with a great offensive line like the Cowboys would you rather pay Dak $35-$40 million per or send him to Cincy with draft picks to get Burrow? To me that answer is simple.  You go get Burrow, keep your offensive line in tact,  keep Cooper and Byron Jones. A team like Cincy would be better suited paying Dak and picking up extra premium picks to build around him bc they don't have the same infrastructure the Cowboys have and Dak can elevate the talent around him.  With the Cowboys the supporting cast would elevate Burrow. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiF said:

Not only that but we're seeing the final stages of some legendary players and a true changing of the guards.  Manning retired, Brady, Brees, Rivers, Big Ben are all shot and never winning anything significant again.  Ryan, Stafford, Newton are after thoughts and holding out for 1 last maybe.  

It's basically Mahomes, Wilson, Watson, Jackson and everyone else.  And I love that the 4 best QB's in the league are all men of color who are tremendous athletes with twice the talent of the white prototype statuesque QB's of the last 40 years.  Such a great change from the norm. 

Brees is still elite...

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Oh - didn’t know he had 4 years left. 

What I would do is trade Stafford for a 2nd/ high 3rd and another mid pick in 2021. Then trade Slay for a late 1st/ high 2nd this year and a day 2 pick in 2021. The salary cap would be a wash between those 2 moves (increase of $10 million for trading Stafford, savings of $10 million for trading Slay) and now you've gained important picks for the next two years and can draft your QB of the future this year with the 3rd overall pick. 

You've also cleared  $33 million in cap space in 2021 and $26 million in cap space in 2022 to build around your new young QB. That's what I would do anyway.

1 minute ago, peekskill68 said:

Brees is still elite...

Of the old dogs, he's still got something left but the playoff performance didnt leave me believing the Brees will ever make another post season run again.  He's good enough to feast on the sh*tty teams , lucky enough to play in the NFCS and play in a dome but he'll never play in a Super Bowl again.

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, nycdan said:

So you can't give it to the QB.  You can't give it to the RB.  I guess you might as well spend it on the Safety.

Offensive line! That part of football will never change.  Weirdly I wouldn't be mad if they gave Adams a big extension and I wouldn't be mad if they traded him. I would like to get the Jags or Raiders to bite with either one of them giving up both of their first round picks if the Jets included their late 3rd round pick in the deal.  With 3 picks in the 1st round it would put them in a nice position to draft 2 offensive lineman and a much needed WR.

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

Especially if they're no longer young and you've already seen their ceiling.  Stafford is 32.  Not particularly "old" for a QB but he's not getting any better.  He's been outside the top 10 QBs in the league for basically his whole career.

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

Im just saying in General. Guys like Cam, Stafford, Carr, Flacco, Cousins, Foles, Alex Smith. Teams have been overspending for mid level QB's bc they're desperate. The QBs coming in from college are way more ready than ever before and a lot of that is bc the NFL has shifted into a more college offensive game. 

The reality is if you have a good team with a great offensive line like the Cowboys would you rather pay Dak $35-$40 million per or send him to Cincy with draft picks to get Burrow? To me that answer is simple.  You go get Burrow, keep your offensive line in tact,  keep Cooper and Byron Jones. A team like Cincy would be better suited paying Dak and picking up extra premium picks to build around him bc they don't have the same infrastructure the Cowboys have and Dak can elevate the talent around him.  With the Cowboys the supporting cast would elevate Burrow. 

Ok, none of this is any different than before.  Cam is hurt, questionable and his team is rebuilding so rumor is they may move on.  Flacco, Cousins, Foles, Smith all had others pushing from behind or available for the rebuild.  Nothing new. 

The only one of the QBs listed that IF he is traded, a huge if, on a second contract is Dak.  So I just don't see any if this as a trend towards not signing QBs to their 2nd contract.  All of them have 2nd contracts,

To me if I'm Dallas, I would sign Dak.  Hes the known commodity.  I'm not going for the question mark who we have npc clue of being able to lead the Cowboys to the top spot of offenses in the NFL.  For a kid who may need 3 years to develop.  

It may have happened immediately for Mahomes, it usually doesn't.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Too early to tell, no perennial favorites just need a decent backup unlike the Luke Falk debacle that cost us 4 games. 

Except Luke Falk wasn't the backup.

Trevor Siemian was.  

You want three viable QBs on the roster?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I wouldn't even say you have a window.  If the Cowboys pay Dak what he wants, that effectively closes the window.  The window is only even slightly open when those types of OK but not elite QBs are still on their rookie deals. 

If you pay a QB top of the market dollars you'd better make sure he's a guy who can win even when half your roster is filled with future UPS drivers.  

Another big issue going on this offseason, and some last offseason is some Owners especially the ones who have been around 20+ years 1.  Unless the player is no doubt franchise guy they don’t want to commit long term to ANY veteran, and now they don’t want to commit to these tweener QB’s who you can win a SB with if you have a team around him, but the market says you have to pay him top QB money without knowing what the next CBA language will be.  2.  Like MLB they are trying to collectively lower the QB per year contracts as they are out of control when a guy like Cousins can demand 30 million per fully guaranteed, and get it, or in his case take a tad less to play where he wanted.  Think this will all reverse after next CBA, it probably will actually be handled in the CBA with specific language about how the QB’s contract is applied to a teams salary cap, JMO.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

It’s on pro football talk.com.  Not only would this add another veteran qb to the offseason mix, it puts the Lions in a great position to draft Tua, or teams like the dolphins that want Tua would have to trade up to #2.  It also could put the Chargers out of luck too.  Very Interesting.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-lions-trying-trade-matthew-113321933.html

Stafford with Bruce Arians, and those weapons COULD be absurd, can see Arians to really rub Stafford the RIGHT way like no other coach has, and get the very best out of that cannon with his aggressive deep down the field passing game with possibly the best group of Receivers/TE’s in all of the NFL.

Another possible great fit for Arians, and the Bucs should they move on from Winston is Cam Newton, another guy who has the exact physical traits for what Arians wants to do on offense, and Arians has the right coaching style to thrive with Cam.

• Upvote 1

I think the Pats are not an unlikely destination.  Belicheat doesn't like giving money to guys in decline and Brady is in decline but asking for 30 mil +.  (IMHO, if the Pats sign him it will be because Kraft made him do it.) 

Stafford makes sense.  A top half guy.  Has been around and played pretty well on pretty crappy teams.  I could see it happening.

• Upvote 1