Rumor: Lions trying to trade Stafford

Augustiniak

6 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Another big issue going on this offseason, and some last offseason is some Owners especially the ones who have been around 20+ years 1.  Unless the player is no doubt franchise guy they don’t want to commit long term to ANY veteran, and now they don’t want to commit to these tweener QB’s who you can win a SB with if you have a team around him, but the market says you have to pay him top QB money without knowing what the next CBA language will be.  2.  Like MLB they are trying to collectively lower the QB per year contracts as they are out of control when a guy like Cousins can demand 30 million per fully guaranteed, and get it, or in his case take a tad less to play where he wanted.  Think this will all reverse after next CBA, it probably will actually be handled in the CBA with specific language about how the QB’s contract is applied to a teams salary cap, JMO.

On another note even though I mention the QB contracts becoming absurd I hope they get every cent they can from the owners because what the NFL charges top to bottom is even more absurd, and the owners are making the money so the players deserve their cut.  The players are finally starting to play the business side of the game much better, they still don’t have enough players employed in the league who are financially set to have enough leverage at the table, but they have come a long way from the last CBA, it’s only a matter of time before the NFL’s success gets so big financially that the players will have some leverage with personal finance with the league having to pay more to the average player as salary cap increases, and they continue to not want to give it to the mid tier QB’s instead.

32 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

No just a better plan. Siemian was terrible prior to the Jets signing him and no more Luke Falk's on the roster. 

As I said, Siemian was the backup who unfortunately got injured immediately.  

Falk was a practice squad project.  He wasn't on the roster.

Again, you want/expect 3 viable QBs on the roster? That would have been your plan?

Shlt happens.  Plans have nothing to do with them

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Too many veteran qbs who can’t really elevate their teams anymore and aren’t worth the money but are still worth having.  Are guys like cam newton, Stafford, dalton and tannehill/Fitzpatrick 

i think if you put stafford in fronna cam, the order is correct

52 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

As I said, Siemian was the backup who unfortunately got injured immediately.  

Falk was a practice squad project.  He wasn't on the roster.

Again, you want/expect 3 viable QBs on the roster? That would have been your plan?

Shlt happens.  Plans have nothing to do with them

No I want 1 viable decent backup no garbage. 

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

On another note even though I mention the QB contracts becoming absurd I hope they get every cent they can from the owners because what the NFL charges top to bottom is even more absurd, and the owners are making the money so the players deserve their cut.  The players are finally starting to play the business side of the game much better, they still don’t have enough players employed in the league who are financially set to have enough leverage at the table, but they have come a long way from the last CBA, it’s only a matter of time before the NFL’s success gets so big financially that the players will have some leverage with personal finance with the league having to pay more to the average player as salary cap increases, and they continue to not want to give it to the mid tier QB’s instead.

The only thing that stinks with the players is with a hard cap, when a QB gets 35 million, a bunch of other guys are getting squeezed. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Ok, none of this is any different than before.  Cam is hurt, questionable and his team is rebuilding so rumor is they may move on.  Flacco, Cousins, Foles, Smith all had others pushing from behind or available for the rebuild.  Nothing new. 

The only one of the QBs listed that IF he is traded, a huge if, on a second contract is Dak.  So I just don't see any if this as a trend towards not signing QBs to their 2nd contract.  All of them have 2nd contracts,

To me if I'm Dallas, I would sign Dak.  Hes the known commodity.  I'm not going for the question mark who we have npc clue of being able to lead the Cowboys to the top spot of offenses in the NFL.  For a kid who may need 3 years to develop.  

It may have happened immediately for Mahomes, it usually doesn't.  

The amount of money is the issue,  not the talent. Is that known commodity going to be just as good without ther elite offensive line and star WR?  You can't keep them all together when your QB is making $40 million per year

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Bengals are trying to trade Dalton as well.

The QB carousel this offseason is going to be by far the most interesting in NFL history.  Nothing like this has ever happened before.

Completely agree. I am not sure the veterans will get the situation they want and all the movement could lead to 3 maybe even 4 QBs taken ahead of us

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Almost need a salary cap cap for QBs

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The amount of money is the issue,  not the talent. Is that known commodity going to be just as good without ther elite offensive line and star WR?  You can't keep them all together when your QB is making $40 million per year

Yes you can pay your starting QB.  You have to.  

I’d bet something is done to address the QBs in the new CBA

40 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Tell us Joe, who would you like as a backup.  Who would accept a backup role. 

A viable player prefer younger QB mobil, who accepts the backup position as his role but can fill in if needed and give us chances to sin games. 

Im not ready to name anyone yet as I haven't really investigated who's available,who might be available. 

Anyone but Luke Falk or anyone remotely close. 

I will get back to you when I have a better plan in place. 

6 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Yep.  When you pay a guy like Stafford or now, perhaps Prescott, you have a very limited window to get it done.  Makes you wonder what Douglas does to accelerate darnold’s progress in the next 3 months.

Well you can do it, but you can't have any serious FA misses (nor 1st round misses in the absence of getting stupid-lucky with several mid/late rounders). The margin of error just shrinks so much. So when Darnold's cap number is $25MM higher, we can't then have $25MM of offense eaten up by a way-worse Bell + an injured Osemele. Slims that margin of error that much more if a single safety is going to be pushing $17+MM/year himself. 

Paying for a QB is one thing; but Douglas is going to have to be a master drafter for the Jets to weather about 1/3 of the entire team's salary cap for Darnold + Mosley + Adams.

1 hour ago, choon328 said:

+1 it looks a lot easier when your FQB is on his 4th round rookie contract year after year. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

A viable player prefer younger QB mobil, who accepts the backup position as his role but can fill in if needed and give us chances to sin games. 

Im not ready to name anyone yet as I haven't really investigated who's available,who might be available. 

Anyone but Luke Falk or anyone remotely close. 

I will get back to you when I have a better plan in place. 

Youre getting out of control now Joe.  Backup QBs ar backup QBs because they're not good enough to start.  

Not many young, mobile backups who give you a chance to win.  

Or all do, until they don't win and remind you why they're backups

Its always easy to find these young guys, capable of taking over and winning without losing a step when you don't actually have to come up with a name.

Fact is no one knows how Siemian would have done as the fill in for Sam if he didnt take a cheap shot in Cleveland.  On paper hes as good as anyone you would come up with if you investigated the list of available QBs

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Youre getting out of control now Joe.  Backup QBs ar backup QBs because they're not good enough to start.  

Not many young, mobile backups who give you a chance to win.  

Or all do, until they don't win and remind you why they're backups

Its always easy to find these young guys, capable of taking over and winning without losing a step when you don't actually have to come up with a name.

Fact is no one knows how Siemian would have done as the fill in for Sam if he didnt take a cheap shot in Cleveland.  On paper hes as good as anyone you would come up with if you investigated the list of available QBs

Heres the deal @Jet Nut  we need someone who may possibly push Sam Darnold in the position if management sees this as the best scenario. 

We cannot allow him to regress or get comfortable in mediocrity. 

Going around kissing little girls when you are a starting NFL QB is immature and shows true lack of responsibility and commitment. 

I call it as I see it,don't like it too bad. 

IM A BIG SAM DARNOLD supporter and fan but he needs to turn his game up and the only way I see that happening is if the NY Jets support his cause.

Build the OL and bring in a #1 WR. 

A good viable backup who pushes him to play better will benefit everyone. 

Matthew Stafford’s wife fans flames amid Lions trade rumors

February 13, 2020 | 12:54pm | Updated 

Social media remains a key component of the NFL’s free-agency carousel.

Enlarge Image Kelly and Matthew StaffordInstagram

Taking to Instagram on Wednesday, Kelly Stafford — wife of Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford — weighed in on recent reports regarding her husband’s future in Detroit, specifically her preferred relocation destination.

“Well if Detroit is done with us …,” she posted. “I could stay in Cali..”

The Los Angeles Chargers currently have an opening at quarterback. They parted ways with Philip Rivers after 16 seasons.

Selected first overall by the Lions in 2009, Stafford has spent his entire NFL career in Detroit, which includes three postseason appearances. He was sidelined in November due to broken back bones, ending his consecutive-start streak after 136 games. In December, Stafford was officially placed on injured reserve.

With a bevy of veteran quarterbacks slated to hit the market next month, Stafford remains under contract through 2022 — and according to Lions brass, they intend to keep it that way.

Enlarge Imag

Responding to a WDIV-TV report, which cites sources alleging “trade talks concerning quarterback Matthew Stafford have been underway for a couple of weeks,” Lions GM Bob Quinn told the Detroit Free Press the claims are “100% False!!”

17 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Heres the deal @Jet Nut  we need someone who may possibly push Sam Darnold in the position if management sees this as the best scenario. 

We cannot allow him to regress or get comfortable in mediocrity. 

Going around kissing little girls when you are a starting NFL QB is immature and shows true lack of responsibility and commitment. 

I call it as I see it,don't like it too bad. 

IM A BIG SAM DARNOLD supporter and fan but he needs to turn his game up and the only way I see that happening is if the NY Jets support his cause.

Build the OL and bring in a #1 WR. 

A good viable backup who pushes him to play better will benefit everyone. 

Youre not getting another starting QB type to push Darnold.

You know, that's one of the long list of screw ups that the excuse makers make for Sanchez, having another QB on the roster, who scrambled his brain.  

The idea that another QB sitting there will make Sam better is silly.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Youre not getting another starting QB type to push Darnold.

Not looking for one. 

Who scrambled Mark Sanchez's brain?  Mark Brunell  the guy who hit him with pool noodles in practice LMFAO that dude was older than dirt Kellen Clemens LMFAO!!!!!!

STOP @Jet Nut  Im not going to argue this nonsense with you. 

We need a QB who can step in if needed unlike a Luke Falk was 0-4 and played like sh*t. 

We need a QB who can win some games if needed and keep us solvent and not the laughing stock of the NFL. 

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Not looking for one. 

Who scrambled Mark Sanchez's brain?  Mark Brunell  the guy who hit him with pool noodles in practice LMFAO that dude was older than dirt Kellen Clemens LMFAO!!!!!!

STOP @Jet Nut  Im not going to argue this nonsense with you. 

We need a QB who can step in if needed unlike a Luke Falk was 0-4 and played like sh*t. 

We need a QB who can win some games if needed and keep us solvent and not the laughing stock of the NFL. 

WTF is it with you?

You sure as shlt said you wanted a QB to push Sam.  Its exactly what you said.  Word for word:

we need someone who may possibly push Sam Darnold in the position if management sees this as the best scenario. 

BTW, you don't have to get mono from kissing, girls, LITTLE GIRLS no less, there are other ways to get it.  So put the "acting immaturely" and "commitment" nonsense away.

Just to head of you denying you actually said what you actually said:

Brunnell? And you then go into LMFAO, caps and 6 !'s because you couldn't remember Tebow?  Sorry Joe, youre slipping. 

One more time, Falk wasn't the backup QB.  He wasnt on the roster.  He was a developmental project on the PS.  

Siemian would have been a backup QB who would be what you want in a backup QB.  

You want to argue that you didnt say what you said, that Siemian isn't a backup, that Falk was on the roster, that Sam was immature for catching mono however he caught it, carry on.

56 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Tebow

He wasn't even relevant in the discussion he was brought here to sell tickets by Woody Johnson. 

Who knows what he might have been though if given the fair chance. 

You are just here to argue with someone on a daily basis, you troll looking for arguments it's who you are and what you do. 

I expect that from you at least you're consistent. 

it's all good. No harm no foul. 

New-York-Jets-Fueled-By-Haters-shirt-Le-039-Veon-Bell-Leveon-Darnold-Adams-t-shirt

7 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

He wasn't even relevant in the discussion he was brought here to sell tickets by Woody Johnson. 

Who knows what he might have been though if given the fair chance. 

You are just here to argue with someone on a daily basis, you troll looking for arguments it's who you are and what you do. 

I expect that from you at least you're consistent. 

it's all good. No harm no foul. 

New-York-Jets-Fueled-By-Haters-shirt-Le-039-Veon-Bell-Leveon-Darnold-Adams-t-shirt

Isn't relevant?  Excuse makers don't bring up the addition of Tebow as an issue with Sanchez?  Its about selling tickets to a team in the top 5 of tickets sold? 

He didnt get a chance because Tebow sucked.  Westhoffs comments were telling.  Hes spoken about how appalled they were by how bad Tebow was when he came to camp.

You have no idea what youre talking about if you think this was an argument or trolling.  You say that a lot, right before you take it back. 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Isn't relevant?  Excuse makers don't bring up the addition of Tebow as an issue with Sanchez?  Its about selling tickets to a team in the top 5 of tickets sold? 

He didnt get a chance because Tebow sucked.  Westhoffs comments were telling.  Hes spoken about how appalled they were by how bad Tebow was when he came to camp.

You have no idea what youre talking about if you think this was an argument or trolling.  You say that a lot, right before you take it back. 

Tebow won a playoff game in Denver the season prior against the Steelers I seem to remember, 

No excuses here buddy you got the wrong guy must be another argument you're in today. 

Not taking anything back but my regret of taking you off IGNORE. 

Why are you so nasty all the time and argumentative.

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Tebow won a playoff game in Denver the season prior against the Steelers I seem to remember, 

No excuses here buddy you got the wrong guy must be another argument you're in today. 

Not taking anything back but my regret of taking you off IGNORE. 

Why are you so nasty all the time and argumentative.

One more F'n time, no one was arguing.  Not everyone has to agree with you or pat you on the back.  Calm down with the arguing shlt, you say that to too many 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

One more F'n time, no one was arguing.  Not everyone has to agree with you or pat you on the back.  Calm down with the arguing shlt, you say that to too many 

Dude of all people on this board I know when I get into a conversation with you we will never agree, its a given. 

Don't tell me what to do. 

JD has to fill the roster.  Chris will likely differ, but I don't see enough holes being filled this off season to make the Jets competitive in 2020 given their schedule.  

So, for a back up QB, they can sign someone credible, for millions, draft someone who can function, probably in the third round, for less than a million, or find a body like Luke Falk or Mike White and have them be a backup.

My view is that, for this team, if Darnold gets hurt, the games are lost.  He is basically the reason the Jets will win.  I don't see the point of paying alot of money for a backup QB-I would rather overpay OL.  If the Jets lost another game we would be very confident that the OL problem was going to be fixed.

If the Jets are not able to draft a credible backup this year, in 2021 sign a veteran backup when the Jets should be ready to make a real run.  Otherwise go cheap on backup QB and take the losses and higher draft pick if Darnold can't play.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Dude of all people on this board I know when I get into a conversation with you we will never agree, its a given. 

Don't tell me what to do. 

OMG, stop already. 

You’re right, we’ll never agree.  Most wont agree with you.  There’s a reason why Joe.  Your ideas might be right if there was a 175 man roster 

You repeat this same story to everyone.  Everyone argues with you.  It’s us.  Good night

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

OMG, stop already. 

You’re right, we’ll never agree.  Most wont agree with you.  There’s a reason why Joe.  Your ideas might be right if there was a 175 man roster 

You repeat this same story to everyone.  Everyone argues with you.  It’s us.  Good night

Drama dude @Jet Nut  thats you. 

You argue with everyone you are a miserable human being. 

Goodbye 

You've chosen to ignore content by Jet Nut.