THE BARON

Gase And The Missing Strawberries...

Gase Is Intelligent, Hard Working & Dedicated, But Is He Pathologically Addicted To A System That Does Not Fit His Current Command ???

Like many others, I have been very critical of Gase...  

I'll try to look on the bright side, since we are stuck with him.

He is clearly intelligent and hard working, but he as been stubborn.  I think most can see that he is married to specific offensive system that he feels comfortable with.  Or, perhaps, addicted to.  Like Captain Queeg trying to relive past successes by looking for the missing strawberries...

The system that he seems to be addicted to consists of a zone blocking scheme with a static pocket and a very basic and short set of pass plays that depend on absolute precision from the QB and pass catcher with respect to timing and ball placement.  The exact system you want to run with a QB that has the skill set of Peyton Manning.  The blocking scheme is also a lot better for a powerful straight ahead runner.  It does not favor a cut-back runner or any other type of ball carrier that reacts to opportunities (BELL)

After Darnold had his "talk" with Gase, the following game, we saw a different offense.  We saw a lot more aggressive man blocking up front.  We saw the pocket move.  We saw Darnold move.  We also saw a lot more production.  Darnold looked comfortable and confident.  Not like a fish out of water as he had been in the system Gase seems to be queer for,

I have NO DOUBT that Gase can design and run an offense that is much better suited for Darnold and Bell rather than sticking with a zone blocking and a static pocket,

The question is, will he ???

It is time for Gase to realize he has to stop looking for the missing strawberries...

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Is this a new children's book like:

Image result for harold and the purple crayon

You just opened up a memory from deep within that I didn’t even know existed.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Which offensive system doesn’t rely on competent run or pass blocking?

That's exactly what I thought when we picked Quinnen Williams. 

Actually, that's pretty much what I thought every year for the past 5 to 6 years. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Which offensive system doesn’t rely on competent run or pass blocking?

I suppose you don't know the difference between a man blocking scheme and a zone blocking scheme ??? I also assume you don't understand why you would want a static pocket with one QB vs. a line that is built and tasked to move laterally much more often than a line that is built and run for a drop back passer with lead in his ass ???

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

That's exactly what I thought when we picked Quinnen Williams. 

Actually, that's pretty much what I thought every year for the past 5 to 6 years. 

That was a joke, right ???

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

I suppose you don't know the difference between a man blocking scheme and a zone blocking scheme ??? I also assume you don't understand why you would want a static pocket with one QB vs. a line that is built and tasked to move laterally much more often than a line that is built and run for a drop back passer with lead in his ass ???

I don't know anything... So, please, tell me which one the Jets current offensive lineman would have been good at, and why.  Thanks in advance.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Can someone please explain the thread title to me?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

I don't know anything... So, please, tell me which one the Jets current offensive lineman would have been good at, and why.  Thanks in advance.

That question is not germane to the compelling issue here.  You can have five poorly performing lineman in a zone scheme with plays drawn up for a static pocket or five poorly performing lineman in an aggressive man scheme executing plays drawn up with a lot of line shifting and motion. 

Which would be better for Darnold ???

Which would be better for a QB with a great arm, quick release and lots of lead in his ass ???

2 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

We must have seen a different Caine Mutiny. "Trying to relive past successes...." What?

I agree the association requires cognitive thinking... Sleep on it and start fresh tomorrow... 

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

That was a joke, right ???

Thinking to go Offensive Linemen for the past half-decade plus? 

Not a joke at all. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Thinking to go Offensive Linemen for the past half-decade plus? 

Not a joke at all. 

Pardon... When you replied to that post, it looked like you agreed with having good pass blocking AND choosing QW too.  As if you were in favor of the QW pick.  It appeared contradictory.   

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Pardon... When you replied to that post, it looked like you agreed with having good pass blocking AND choosing QW too.  As if you were in favor of the QW pick.  It appeared contradictory.   

All good. 👍

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

I agree the association requires cognitive thinking... Sleep on it and start fresh tomorrow... 

Just woke up. You're right. Forgot about the connection to previous investigation. With that said, the analogy is pretty terrible. Back to bed now...

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Im just trying to figure out the difference when either scheme doesn't work.  

I assume thinking the scheme used with these scrubs up front would make a difference means its all BS.  It doesn't, shlt is shlt

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

That question is not germane to the compelling issue here.  You can have five poorly performing lineman in a zone scheme with plays drawn up for a static pocket or five poorly performing lineman in an aggressive man scheme executing plays drawn up with a lot of line shifting and motion. 

Which would be better for Darnold ???

Which would be better for a QB with a great arm, quick release and lots of lead in his ass ???

Which would be the best offensive strategy in moving a qb that has a spleen that may be at risk, and had his big toe toenail ripped off.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Just woke up. You're right. Forgot about the connection to previous investigation. With that said, the analogy is pretty terrible. Back to bed now...

Not an analogy.  I was illustrating the parallel between Queeg's reverting to previous behavior and Gase leaning on a scheme that he saw success with in the past.  It was something different for a change.  A novel way to make point. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Not an analogy.  I was illustrating the parallel between Queeg's reverting to previous behavior and Gase leaning on a scheme that he saw success with in the past.  It was something different for a change.  A novel way to make point. 

Superb thread title, one of the best I've seen to date. Thank you for having a brain, too rare these days 

• Upvote 1

Well, using the Caine Mutiny as a theme, be careful that you’re not listening to Keefers trying to push thier narratives on you to manipulate you into doing what they want against the Captain.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, THE BARON said:

The system that he seems to be addicted to consists of a zone blocking scheme with a static pocket and a very basic and short set of pass plays that depend on absolute precision from the QB

You sure your not talking about Brian Schottenheimer?

764b88318b72aec42a742d73ee049134.jpg

I'm playing this backwards in an attempt to understand what the OP is talking about.

SAR I

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SAR I said:

764b88318b72aec42a742d73ee049134.jpg

I'm playing this backwards in an attempt to understand what the OP is talking about.

SAR I

The “Caine Mutiny”. A famous book by Herman Wouk and the film based on the book with Bogart as the Captain of the ship.

The strawberries refer a scene where the Captain shows the first evidence of paranoid behavior.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Crimson King said:

Superb thread title, one of the best I've seen to date. Thank you for having a brain, too rare these days 

Thank you... Much appreciated !

2 hours ago, Ian Fleming said:

Well, using the Caine Mutiny as a theme, be careful that you’re not listening to Keefers trying to push thier narratives on you to manipulate you into doing what they want against the Captain.

"Here's to you, Mr. Keefer" 

15 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

You sure your not talking about Brian Schottenheimer?

When Schotty was with the Jets Callahan was running the line for the most part. He used a combo of man and zone. I liked him a lot. What I remember most about the Schotty offense when he was with the Jets was the almost haphazard way the Jets offense went from doing one thing to the other.  For example.  They would be running the ball well from a pro set and then, for no apparent reason, they would start running an unbalanced line.  Then they would go empty backfield, then two tight ends, then spread, then tight set.  It was said that the Jets tendency was that they had no tendency Lie they were just pulling plays out of their ass with no thought to it.  All of this was done to protect Sanchez.  Keep the defense off balance, bewildered and wondering what the hell the Jets were going to do next.  It made no sense unless you consider just how badly Sanchez wanted to throw the ball to the DB jumping the routs.  

I wish the Jets had a better QB in 2009 and 2010.  True, Sanchez did OK in the playoffs with the Jets, but if they had a more dynamic offense that scored more points, Rex and the Jets might have gotten that ring circa 2009 - 2010.

2 hours ago, Ian Fleming said:

The “Caine Mutiny”. A famous book by Herman Wouk and the film based on the book with Bogart as the Captain of the ship.

The strawberries refer a scene where the Captain shows the first evidence of paranoid behavior.

bethesmall.jpg

SAR I

32 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

"Here's to you, Mr. Keefer" 

Was just looking this scene up the other day.  One of the greatest scenes in movie history and totally turns the film on it's head.  Surprised that movie doesn't get brought up more when they mention films about military service.  As much as people like to talk about more modern dramas... this one is just as insightful.

• Upvote 1