Cap Cut Candidate: Should the Jets move on from CB Darryl Roberts?

joewilly12

Cap Cut Candidate: Should the Jets move on from CB Darryl Roberts?

usatsi_13580272-e1575084139890.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
6 hours ago

Before free agency kicks off in March, Jets general manager Joe Douglas is going to have some decisions to make on players already at One Jets Drive.

Along with New York’s 32 impending free agents, there are a handful of players who could be shown the door in an effort to free up salary cap space. The Jets have $53 million to spend right now, according to Spotrac. That number could grow exponentially if Douglas parts ways with players eating up a large chunk of Gang Green’s payroll.

Among those who are a candidate to become a cap casualty is cornerback Darryl Roberts. After re-upping with the Jets last offseason, Roberts was one of New York’s worst cornerbacks in 2019. Should he be granted another season in the Big Apple to get back on track? Let’s evaluate the situation.

Pros of keeping

The argument in favor of keeping Roberts is extremely similar to the argument to hang onto Trumaine Johnson for another season. Parting ways with Roberts is not going to help an already underwhelming cornerback unit which features three impending free agents in Brian Poole, Maurice Canady and Arthur Maulet.

The Jets gave Roberts a three-year extension for a reason. Yes, the old regime handed out that deal, but a glance on Roberts’ film prior to 2019 shows a player who has the potential to be a solid contributor if he can put all of the pieces together.

Cons of keeping him

Roberts wasn’t just bad in 2019. He was downright pitiful.

Why would the Jets keep a player who performed so poorly for another year? It’s hard to see Douglas hanging onto Roberts considering he did not give an extension to, especially when he can save New York a decent amount of money by cutting him.

Roberts is owed $5 million next season. If the Jets cut him before June 1, they save $5.8 million and do not inherit any dead cap. With those numbers taken into account, this becomes an easy decision for Douglas and company.

The verdict

It’s hard to see any situation where Roberts is on New York’s roster past June 1. Douglas has the opportunity to part ways with a player who was dead weight last season and spend that money on a free agent corner who better fits defensive coordinator Gregg Williams’ scheme.

It’s safe to assume Douglas will take that opportunity. Do not expect Roberts back in the green and white in 2020.

I think Roberts gets a bum rap around here.  He is athletic and versatile and he spent a decent amount of time forced to play safety.  That being said, it is pretty obvious from his snap counts they were preparing to spend 2020 without him.  Through week 14, he played almost every defensive snap in the games he played.  Weeks 15 and 16 he played a single snap on D, but kept playing a huge role on specials.  I would say they are ready to go forward without him if Canaday, Maulet and Austin are getting run ahead of him with no discernible drop off. He may not be a great fit as zone CB, which seems strange considering they just signed him, but that is the kind of thing that got the GM fired.

• Upvote 1

I don't know how this is even a question. Roberts is gone. The team was better with him off the field. This is not like Winter, who, when healthy has had moments where he was a decent starter (he will still be cut). Or Tru, who is just owed so much money that the 3mil in saving may not make sense to save (he will still be cut). Or even Bellamy, who, if healthy is a solid special teams player and if cut only saves 2mil (he will still probably be cut). 

Roberts is an absolute no brainer who was awful last year, is about to turn 30 and will cause no dead cap if cut.  

If I recall correctly, this was one of the few signings that Gase came out and fully publicly endorsed.   He said Roberts was their #1 priority if I'm not mistaken. 

And didnt he do some weird sh*t on social media and the coaching staff didnt mind at all?  

Feel like he's not going anywhere. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

If I recall correctly, this was one of the few signings that Gase came out and fully publicly endorsed.   He said Roberts was their #1 priority if I'm not mistaken. 

And didnt he do some weird sh*t on social media and the coaching staff didnt mind at all?  

Feel like he's not going anywhere. 

Cut and re-sign, perhaps?

There's no sense in paying him $6M when we can easily cut him loose and sign him back cheaper.  There can't be THAT big of a market on a 30-year old borderline starter (at best).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Cut and re-sign, perhaps?

There's no sense in paying him $6M when we can easily cut him loose and sign him back cheaper.  There can't be THAT big of a market on a 30-year old borderline starter (at best).

Yeah or restructure, I guess.  I agree I wouldnt expect a huge market but you never know.

• Upvote 1

It’s not like they’re bursting with starting CBs on this team, and he’s making $6MM not $10MM. 

They may find another starter in the draft, but you won’t know that before his guarantee kicks in, and it’s decidedly unlikely that a mid-round pick will start 13-16 games right away and not be a significant downgrade from Roberts in 2020 as a rookie. Plus it’s not like Austin is a lock to start all season on the other side either. And they still need a slot corner, too (Poole is a FA). 

They could also guarantee his season in March if he takes a pay cut to $4MM or so. At 30 years old he might go for that. I’d try that if I were Douglas; couldn’t hurt.

If they don’t find another starter to sign here I think they may have to suck it up if GW wants him back. They’re so thin at corner. Then if we get lucky and a rookie looks great they may find someone who wants to trade for him after their own CB went down with an ACL in camp or later. 

I think he's had a bit of a raw deal at times.  He's a decent man-cover CB, but was often asked to play safety.

In any case, he's not sticking at his current salary.  Cut him, and try to bring him back for cheap as a backup. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out.

17 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think Roberts gets a bum rap around here.  He is athletic and versatile and he spent a decent amount of time forced to play safety.  That being said, it is pretty obvious from his snap counts they were preparing to spend 2020 without him.  Through week 14, he played almost every defensive snap in the games he played.  Weeks 15 and 16 he played a single snap on D, but kept playing a huge role on specials.  I would say they are ready to go forward without him if Canaday, Maulet and Austin are getting run ahead of him with no discernible drop off. He may not be a great fit as zone CB, which seems strange considering they just signed him, but that is the kind of thing that got the GM fired.

agree on the bad rap part.  roberts has certainly shown some desire to play but just doesn't play the position very well.  he seemed to work okay in the slot but now they have poole.  and they need to upgrade the position since trumaine was such a bust.

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

agree on the bad rap part.  roberts has certainly shown some desire to play but just doesn't play the position very well.  he seemed to work okay in the slot but now they have poole.  and they need to upgrade the position since trumaine was such a bust.

Trouble is, at least for right now, they don't have Poole signed.

• Upvote 1

I was at the Dolphin-Jets game in Miami last season. Roberts started and played the entire game, I focused on him a lot. He got beat like a drum, made Fitzpatrick look like Joe Montana. They kept throwing at him and he never adjusted. I think that game is the one who put him on the bench. Let him go and save the money.