Apache 51

Redskins release Josh Norman................

Washington Redskins cornerback Josh Norman didn’t have a long reunion with his former head coach Ron Rivera. According to NFL Network’s Mike Garofalo, Norman has been released by the Redskins.

Norman, who made his debut in 2012, had several season of elite production when he was with the Carolina Panthers, and was named a first-team All-Pro in 2015. He signed a five-year, $75 million contract with the Redskins before the 2016 season, but unfortunately those elite numbers didn’t follow him to Washington.

Over four seasons with the Redskins he intercepted seven passes and forced eight fumbles, well off the pace of even just his final season with the Panthers, during which he’d intercepted four passes and returned two for touchdowns. He also had a habit of getting lost in coverage and rode the bench in the late portion of the 2019 season.

The Redskins will save just under $12.5 million in cap space by releasing Norman now, and take a $3 million hit in dead money.

Norman was widely seen as a candidate to be cut due to his less than impressive performance and large salary, but there was a slim chance that the hiring of Rivera, Norman’s skipper in Carolina, might help him keep his job. No dice, unfortunately.

On the plus side, Norman now gets to join his former Panthers teammate Greg Olsen in early free agency. They now have over a month to find new teams before NFL free agency kicks off on March 18. Norman seems ready for whatever comes next.

He’s a read/react zone coverage corner. 

Dunno how good he’d be in Greg’s system. Greg loves that press man stuff. Tons of aggression, bump and run, jamming at the line, ect

Appears too be another one of those guys that got their money and never lived up to it. Big red flag for a multi year contract. Some desperate team will  bight hope it’s not the Jets.

• Upvote 2

head case.

still bettern what we got. (tru dat)

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I’d rather them take a chance on a rookie CB, he sucks. 

My thoughts exactly, his is done.

• Upvote 2

NO!!!  No old expensive CB's ever again 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

LOL at “had several seasons of elite production”.
Josh Norman was never elite, he was an average corner, who had one slightly above average season in 2015. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

He’s a read/react zone coverage corner. 

Dunno how good he’d be in Greg’s system. Greg loves that press man stuff. Tons of aggression, bump and run, jamming at the line, ect

He would be absolutely abused in Gregg's system.  Hard pass on Norman.  Dude, honestly, had one great year then fell off a cliff after getting paid.

• Upvote 1

Josh Norman reminds me of Darrelle Revis.  Have 1 good season, act like the best in the game and that you invented the position and then proceed to suck for the rest of your career. 

• Butt Fumble 1

btw,
safety or Cb...    name one single time when a massive DB contract actually benefitted the team paying them?

i mean...  as far back as Mevis...  doesnt work...   trade Jamal

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Josh Norman reminds me of Darrelle Revis.  Have 1 good season, act like the best in the game and that you invented the position and then proceed to suck for the rest of your career. 

the time twixt when we bothe typed mevis...  musta been within seconds...

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well this is a nonsense post.

Revis had one 'best cb year ever in the game' year and about 3 or 4 really good to great years.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, JiF said:

If Norman reminds you of Revis, I think you may have been watching the wrong sport.

Revis was one of the best man-cover corners in history. Norman is a system corner with a big ego and a bigger mouth.

1 hour ago, K Clue said:

LOL at “had several seasons of elite production”.
Josh Norman was never elite, he was an average corner, who had one slightly above average season in 2015. 

This he should give that douche ODB half his money for making him relevant.

• Haha 1

Big FA contracts look worse and worse...

Gotta hit in the draft. It's basically the only way to win.

Cap men are a dime a dozen. Hopefully JD has the goods when it comes to talent eval.

His last two seasons.  Passer rating against of 109.3 and 129.0.  Think I would pass on this one. 

Games Pass Coverage Pass Rush Tackles
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Tgt Cmp Cmp% Yds Yds/Cmp Yds/Tgt TD Rat DADOT Air YAC Bltz Hrry QBKD Sk Prss Comb MTkl MTkl%
2018 31 WAS CB 24 16 16 3 86 57 66.3% 733 12.9 8.5 8 109.3 8.5 396 337 0 0 0 0.0 0 64 11 14.7%
2019 32 WAS cb/db 24 12 8 1 46 31 67.4% 444 14.3 9.7 7 129.0 14.8 373 71 1 0 0 1.0 1 40 4 9.1%
  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Yes!  Let's sign him to a $75M deal.

He can even take over Trumaine Johnson's locker.

Wait.

No.

Speaking of whom,   how long till Douglas and Williams send him to Davey Jones' locker?

They are cutting WR Paul Richardson too. I'd rather take a cheap flyer on him than add Norman.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

They are cutting WR Paul Richardson too.

Injury prone, no?

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Injury prone, no?

Yeah. Talented, but injury prone.

I'd take a shot, if he comes cheap. A deep-threat, when he can stay on the field.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

His last two seasons.  Passer rating against of 109.3 and 129.0.  Think I would pass on this one. 

Games Pass Coverage Pass Rush Tackles
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Tgt Cmp Cmp% Yds Yds/Cmp Yds/Tgt TD Rat DADOT Air YAC Bltz Hrry QBKD Sk Prss Comb MTkl MTkl%
2018 31 WAS CB 24 16 16 3 86 57 66.3% 733 12.9 8.5 8 109.3 8.5 396 337 0 0 0 0.0 0 64 11 14.7%
2019 32 WAS cb/db 24 12 8 1 46 31 67.4% 444 14.3 9.7 7 129.0 14.8 373 71 1 0 0 1.0 1 40 4 9.1%

129???

Wow even counting kinda-throwaways and any passes tipped at the line, about every 7th attempt against Norman's man went for a touchdown.

I'm trying to comprehend that being anything other than a video game statistic.

• Upvote 1