Shaun Ellis Dropoff

BigOrangeJetFan

No doubt in my mind....shaun ellis was playing overweight.

If you can, go take a look at a 2003 game of Shaun Ellis, to 2005 game of Shaun Ellis. He got alot fatter.

I still like him, and he'll make a good 3-4 D-end, but he needs to trim some off, he must have been well over 300lbs last season.

Ellis dropoff is a little mystery- perhaps the contract and laziness set in.

A unit is dependent on all its parts though so some part of the problem could be the hole in the defensive tackle position having some effect

Can he fit into a 3-4 defense?

Why do you guys continue to think the Jets will play a 3-4 defense next year?

That will never happen because the Jets do not have the right personnel to employ that defense. No way will Mangini goes looking for a fat load NT and 2-3 large LB's with all the holes his has to fill on the team.

You might see the 3-4 in certain situations, but the Jets base defense next season will still be the 4-3.

What happened to Ellis last year. He was awful. Was he overweight? Hurt?

Can he fit into a 3-4 defense?

He was hurt.... He gained some weights to play DT and failed... So he went back to LE with losing slight weight but i could not tell about his speed due to his injured leg... Once his leg is 100 percent healthy he will be fine...

I dont believe that Ellis is a 3-4 material at all.... Jets will not play 3-4 next season or until Ellis and Robertson contracts become cheaper...

Dewayne Robertson was in the secondary most of the season. Ellis was double teamed pretty mush the whole year. Robertson is why Ellis' play was poor.

Be fair here. James Reed was horrible, and he lined up next to Shaun Ellis.

Ellis was over his playing weight for sure. Reed was the worst Dtackle I have ever seen play the run when a team runs right at him.

He was hurt.... He gained some weights to play DT and failed... So he went back to LE with losing slight weight but i could not tell about his speed due to his injured leg... Once his leg is 100 percent healthy he will be fine...

I dont believe that Ellis is a 3-4 material at all.... Jets will not play 3-4 next season or until Ellis and Robertson contracts become cheaper...

Ellis was drafted specifically to be a 3-4 DE. At 6-5, 285 lbs he's almost prototypical size. Abe was drafted to be a 3-4 LB. Of course all that went out the window when Herm got here & Ellis was changed from a huge DE into a small DT & Abe from a huge OLB into a small DE.

Don't assume that either of these two are ill-suited or incapable of playing their proper roles in the proper scheme simply b/c Herm/Donnie couldn't get them to do it.

Dewayne Robertson was in the secondary most of the season. Ellis was double teamed pretty mush the whole year. Robertson is why Ellis' play was poor.

Agree 100%. With Ferguson on the line, all the D-lineman thrived, without him, they all struggled. D-rob is not the player Fergy was, and Reed never commands a double team. Ellis is a big, strong, bullrush type of end, best suited to overpowering Te's or tackles one-on-one. He never had the speed to run around multiple blockers and so he couldn't get the penetration he did in previous seasons.

Ellis was drafted specifically to be a 3-4 DE. At 6-5, 285 lbs he's almost prototypical size. Abe was drafted to be a 3-4 LB. Of course all that went out the window when Herm got here & Ellis was changed from a huge DE into a small DT & Abe from a huge OLB into a small DE.

Don't assume that either of these two are ill-suited or incapable of playing their proper roles in the proper scheme simply b/c Herm/Donnie couldn't get them to do it.

Yes, both were 3-4 potential players when they were selected. It was mistaken because Ellis' body was set for getting fatter instead of stronger when he gained some weight... So thus Ellis was no longer 3-4 prototype and was tried to play DT with Edwards' suggestion...

As for JA, Edwards already spoiled JA because JA was no longer to be a good ball hawker or cover man. It is difficult to trust JA to play back to OLB unless JA will make an attempt at MLB.

Bottom line is I indeed shut the idea of 3-4 scheme with Ellis, Robertson and JA because it is too late for them to reshape and relearn the 3-4 scheme and Jets have more than enough players, who are suitable 4-3, with big contracts.

Agree 100%. With Ferguson on the line, all the D-lineman thrived, without him, they all struggled. D-rob is not the player Fergy was, and Reed never commands a double team. Ellis is a big, strong, bullrush type of end, best suited to overpowering Te's or tackles one-on-one. He never had the speed to run around multiple blockers and so he couldn't get the penetration he did in previous seasons.

The reason I said that Ellis was not that strong is in 2 years ago Ellis dominated at RE in place of JA whilst He was soso at LE earlier that season and last year...

Bottom line, don't judge any of these players based on last years performance.

Mangini will have it all sorted out in TC, I'm sure of it.

Herm always had his mind made up who was going to start. It was a popularity contest with him. And once players knew they were already penciled in, they went through the motions. There was a carry over effect from TC to regular season, that's why they always had slow starts.

Here's your reason for Shaun Ellis' poor year: Herman Edwards.

Edwards' "Club Med" style training camps did not punish players who came in overweight and out of shape. Ellis had to be anywhere from 10 to 20 pounds overweight ALL SEASON.

One Pats fan told me that on the first day of camp, Belichick makes all of the players run two miles. If they can't do it (in a certain time, or if they can't do it at all, I'm not sure), they run, and do different exercises for a few days, and then they run it again. If they can't do it this time, they're cut, no excuses. Hopefully, Mangini brings this to the Jets. If he does, and is strict with players when it concerns weight, and physical fitness, I expect Ellis to rebound.

Here's your reason for Shaun Ellis' poor year: Herman Edwards.

Edwards' "Club Med" style training camps did not punish players who came in overweight and out of shape. Ellis had to be anywhere from 10 to 20 pounds overweight ALL SEASON.

One Pats fan told me that on the first day of camp, Belichick makes all of the players run two miles. If they can't do it (in a certain time, or if they can't do it at all, I'm not sure), they run, and do different exercises for a few days, and then they run it again. If they can't do it this time, they're cut, no excuses. Hopefully, Mangini brings this to the Jets. If he does, and is strict with players when it concerns weight, and physical fitness, I expect Ellis to rebound.

Sounds good to me. I expect Ellis to rebound also. I think we will see a little soemthing new from each player under Mangini. Nobody on this team played hard for herm,You didn't have to.

Welcome to the site.

Sounds good to me. I expect Ellis to rebound also. I think we will see a little soemthing new from each player under Mangini. Nobody on this team played hard for herm,You didn't have to.

Welcome to the site.

Thanks, seems like a great site. :cheers:

Archived