Can Vyncint Smith Replace Robby Anderson?

JetNation

Vyncint Smith

This week Greenbean does his first player profile as he takes a look at wide receiver Vyncint Smith. The 6’3″, 202lb wide receiver came on late last season and flashed his big play ability.

Could he be a Robby Anderson replacement if the Jets lose Anderson to free agency?

Greenbean wonders if this undrafted free agent can develop in the same way Robby Anderson has the past few years. With 17 receptions for 225 yards last year he would have to take a big step forward to match Anderson’s production.

We will find out what the Jets are thinking soon enough. For now we want to hear your thoughts in the comments below or in our forums.

The post Can Vyncint Smith Replace Robby Anderson? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
nCWYqqbMe0A

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 3

This is hard to gauge at the moment because I don’t think I’ve ever seen Smith have to track a ball in the air and the only routes I’ve seen him on is the slant and 9. 

I think Smith has some potential to be a good role player in this offense. Robby is definitely a better WR but if Smith can develop into a role and play his part, that’s all we’d need out of him to make us not miss Robby. He doesn’t necessarily have to replace Robby as our primary(and only) deep threat but to be a solid contributor with those kind of wheels would be enough. We want to have enough WR talent in that building to where we don’t have to necessarily designate this or that guy as “our offense’s deep threat” because I’m hoping all of our WR’s will one day be able to do a little of what Robby brings to the table on the long ball.

• Upvote 3

Robby is a terrible route runner and does one thing that's elite and that's the go route. If smith can take the top off a defense, yes he can replace robby

Terrible route runner? Hmmm you sure you watched Robby Anderson and not Henry Anderson?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

Maybe Smith can replace Robby.  But his body of work is not large enough to assume he can.  If Robby walks in FA, we will need to sign another WR.  Can't assume two rookie WRs from the draft will both have immediate impact and you can't assume that Vyncint Smith will suddenly emerge as a complete WR in year 3.  Too risky. 

2 seasons into his career, Smith has 22 receptions, 300 yards and 1TD.  After 2 seasons Robby had over 100 receptions, 1,500 yards and 9 TDs. Way too early to assume Smith can replace Robby.

I like the kid and hope he will develop into a complete WR someday.  But I don't see how they can assume that he is anything more than a 4th or 5th WR heading into the season.

• Upvote 2

I'm pretty sure VS can run fast so, yeah, he can replace RA. RA didn't bring much to the table aside from being fast. RA spent the past three years learning to be a WR, so he isn't some kind of high bar as a standard. His route running was never special, his hands sporadic, and he's rail thin. Not hard to replace though the Jets may do what the Jets often do and overpay their own overrated FA.

• Thumb Down 2
  • WTF? 1

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is hard to gauge at the moment because I don’t think I’ve ever seen Smith have to track a ball in the air and the only routes I’ve seen him on is the slant and 9. 

I think Smith has some potential to be a good role player in this offense. Robby is definitely a better WR but if Smith can develop into a role and play his part, that’s all we’d need out of him to make us not miss Robby. He doesn’t necessarily have to replace Robby as our primary(and only) deep threat but to be a solid contributor with those kind of wheels would be enough. We want to have enough WR talent in that building to where we don’t have to necessarily designate this or that guy as “our offense’s deep threat” because I’m hoping all of our WR’s will one day be able to do a little of what Robby brings to the table on the long ball.

Right. As far as the resume is concerned he is no where near Robby at the moment, but the coaches may see enough from in practice and what he provided at the end of the year to feel better about giving him a shot and saving the 11-12 mil for Robby.

There is one TD he had for the Texans where he tracked the ball amazingly well and made a superb catch. I believe it was in the 4th quarter or on 4th down or something big like that too. So that's a good sign for icy veins which is so important. 

That cath and run last year against the Steelers I think was game saving for us too. He just might have the goods. 

51 minutes ago, Lith said:

Maybe Smith can replace Robby.  But his body of work is not large enough to assume he can.  If Robby walks in FA, we will need to sign another WR.  Can't assume two rookie WRs from the draft will both have immediate impact and you can't assume that Vyncint Smith will suddenly emerge as a complete WR in year 3.  Too risky. 

2 seasons into his career, Smith has 22 receptions, 300 yards and 1TD.  After 2 seasons Robby had over 100 receptions, 1,500 yards and 9 TDs. Way too early to assume Smith can replace Robby.

I like the kid and hope he will develop into a complete WR someday.  But I don't see how they can assume that he is anything more than a 4th or 5th WR heading into the season.

It would be a major leap of faith to be sure, but if the coaches like him we might have something. It's similar to when the packers had Brett Favre and let him walk for the unproven Aaron Rodgers. obviously different for other reasons but McCarthy knew what he had in Rodgers and let the Super Bowl wining QB move on with the hopes of what Rodgers could do. 

It would be something like that where when considering the large gap financially, could we use this guy to fill the best part of Robby's game. The Deep ball.  I would imagine their thinking of grabbing at least 1-2 WR in the draft as well in this case. 

Interesting thought though. and very foreign to us Jets fans. 

• Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  Smith hasn’t shown nearly enough to make that leap of faith.  Depending on other FA signings and the draft, I wouldn’t even say Smith is a lock to make the 53 man.  

• Sympathy 2

8 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

I really like Vyncent Smith, he's the reason I'd probably be alright with passing on WR in FA. (Along with the loaded class)

GreenBean on point!

Wow, just no. 

Jets need serious help at the WR position if they hold onto RA, and much more so if they don't. This is a guy you hope/plan to contribute as a #4, maybe. I'll be psyched if they go WR in the first, and extremely disappointed if they haven't taken one by the third round. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Oh no! I wouldn’t go this far. Cannot let Smith be the reason you do not take a WR in FA. 

Smith hasn’t shown anything to garner that kind of confidence. We’re also forgetting that Enunwa’s probably done.

It's moreso cause I don't want a WR in FA than it is about Smith's skill set.

1 hour ago, slats said:

Wow, just no. 

Jets need serious help at the WR position if they hold onto RA, and much more so if they don't. This is a guy you hope/plan to contribute as a #4, maybe. I'll be psyched if they go WR in the first, and extremely disappointed if they haven't taken one by the third round. 

Haha sorry, maybe I should have clarified. I don't want a FA WR or at least not one that will fetch much money. I'd much prefer Lamb/Jeudy at #11 or a WR in the 2nd. 

I think Sam's issue is OL more than it is WR.

Just now, bla bla bla said:

Haha sorry, maybe I should have clarified. I don't want a FA WR or at least not one that will fetch much money. I'd much prefer Lamb/Jeudy at #11 or a WR in the 2nd. 

I think Sam's issue is OL more than it is WR.

I agree with that. We've got people here, though, making two huge free agent splashes on the OL and then adding more OL in the first and second rounds. Yes, the line has been neglected, but that's overkill on a team with so many other needs - WR being primary among them. 

Going into last season I thought Herndon would be #1 or #2 on the team in catches. His loss was a huge one, IMHO. He's a guy the Jets need to come back better than before. But even if the Jets hold onto RA, they need another guy, preferably with some size, who can compliment the speedster and Crowder in the slot. I think Crowder, Herndon, Anderson, and a #1/2 possession type WR would be a fine group of skill players. I'm cool with Smith as depth for that group. It's when you expect him to be one of your top three WRs that I feel they're getting thin. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Sure haha I just would prefer an elite prospect instead of overpaying for a player another team didn't want to retain.

2020 free agency has to net this team 2-3 immediate impact starters. 

2020 NFL Draft at the very least 2 immediate impact starters. 

We also need some depth.

Sam Darnold taking that next level step relies on all this. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

We also need some depth.

Our team is so lacking in talent, this should be a layup.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I agree with that. We've got people here, though, making two huge free agent splashes on the OL and then adding more OL in the first and second rounds. Yes, the line has been neglected, but that's overkill on a team with so many other needs - WR being primary among them. 

Going into last season I thought Herndon would be #1 or #2 on the team in catches. His loss was a huge one, IMHO. He's a guy the Jets need to come back better than before. But even if the Jets hold onto RA, they need another guy, preferably with some size, who can compliment the speedster and Crowder in the slot. I think Crowder, Herndon, Anderson, and a #1/2 possession type WR would be a fine group of skill players. I'm cool with Smith as depth for that group. It's when you expect him to be one of your top three WRs that I feel they're getting thin. 

Oo yea, I mean I'm all for adding 3 new OL using sizable assets (money or picks) this off-season but WR needs to be a top 2 round pick IMO. I definitely agree on size, I'd actually be all for AJ Green on a short deal but I think he'll still cost a lot so if I had to look elsewhere I'd aim for Perriman.

Realistically I'd be alright with Smith as the 5th option on our offense:

1) Lamb/Jeudy/Rookie

2) Bell

3) Herndon/Griffin

4) Crowder

5) Smith

24 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

It's moreso cause I don't want a WR in FA than it is about Smith's skill set.

I can understand that. I think we’ll still need to pay one between Robby most likely leaving and Enunwa’s neck being toast. There are a few guys that will not command Amari Cooper money that we could use. Allison from GB being ones of those options. 

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We also need some depth.

Yes but I think there is something to positional value as well. Give me:

FA

G/C - Glasgow

WR - Perriman

Edge - Ngakoue

Draft

LT

WR

CB

C/G

RB

Not necessarily in that order but that's my roughish outline for what I want to do.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1