Even drafting just a #2 WR would be a Big Win for Joe

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Silly. Just cause I point out the obvious. Robby is a 3 based on his ability and stats don't get all sour

And that's just not true.

Theres no designation from a 2 to 3 that says Robby

There aren't too many situations where you line up and don't have Robby out there.  Even as a decoy his speed says you have to cover him.  No matter who the other WRs are on the team

Thats a 2, not a 3.

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Kalil signing alone backs up Matts seat of the pants comment.

The draft is where we will see Douglas's true worth for sure.

Throw money at free agents willy nilly and draft defense. Just looking at how lean the Jets football operation is compared to a successful franchise like the Eagles, it's hard to imagine anything really changing.

• Thumb Down 1

50 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Kalil signing alone backs up Matts seat of the pants comment.

The draft is where we will see Douglas's true worth for sure.

Except it doesn’t back up anything. Douglas was brought in after FA and after the draft. It’s like giving a kid a blue crayon and then complaining that he’s not using enough green. 

21 minutes ago, the Claw said:

Except it doesn’t back up anything. Douglas was brought in after FA and after the draft. It’s like giving a kid a blue crayon and then complaining that he’s not using enough green. 

Where’s the innovation? The Jets have two staff members dedicated to analytics who predate Douglas. Why hasn’t he plucked anyone from the Eagles staff( a team at the forefront of this). Who has he hired? Phil Savage? Ok.
I’m sorry, but things just seem to be the same here.  Hell the entire coaching staff is returning. Where’s the self auditing? Right now we’re just pinning our hopes on Douglas being better at watching #tape than Maccagnan was.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

What's Douglas supposed to do- the draft isnt until April!

Today, Amazon Web Services, Inc. (AWS), an Amazon.com company (NASDAQ: AMZN), announced that AWS is now a cloud, machine learning (ML), and artificial intelligence (AI) provider for the Seattle Seahawks. In addition to moving the vast majority of its infrastructure to AWS, the National Football League (NFL) team will use the breadth and depth of AWS's services, including compute, storage, database, analytics, and ML to drive deep analysis of game footage to inform game strategy, improve operational efficiencies, and accelerate decision-making to advance team performance game-to-game.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

Where’s the innovation? The Jets have two staff members dedicated to analytics who predate Douglas. Why hasn’t he plucked anyone from the Eagles staff( a team at the forefront of this). Who has he hired? Phil Savage? Ok.
I’m sorry, but things just seem to be the same here.  Hell the entire coaching staff is returning. Where’s the self auditing? Right now we’re just pinning our hopes on Douglas being better at watching #tape than Maccagnan was.

This I agree with, partially. He hasn’t seemed to bring, really, anyone in. He may be content with who is in place currently and we don’t know if he’s tried to get others. One thing that gives me hope in this regard is that shot of Macc alone in the draft room last year. That guy did the drafting, not the staff, and either he wasn’t interested in anyone else’s input or the staff let him die on his hill. Either way, it’s still not an indictment of Douglas’s performance, considering he hasn’t had a real opportunity to perform yet. His not-hiring-someone does not really support your argument. 

Ultimately, Douglas is an unknown who has done what he could with what he was given, so far. Comparing him in any way to one of the worst GMs in recent memory is intellectually dishonest. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, the Claw said:

This I agree with, partially. He hasn’t seemed to bring, really, anyone in. He may be content with who is in place currently and we don’t know if he’s tried to get others. One thing that gives me hope in this regard is that shot of Macc alone in the draft room last year. That guy did the drafting, not the staff, and either he wasn’t interested in anyone else’s input or the staff let him die on his hill. Either way, it’s still not an indictment of Douglas’s performance, considering he hasn’t had a real opportunity to perform yet. His not-hiring-someone does not really support your argument. 

Ultimately, Douglas is an unknown who has done what he could with what he was given, so far. Comparing him in any way to one of the worst GMs in recent memory is intellectually dishonest. 

That's fair. And my issues stem further than just Douglas or any of the other previous GM's. There just seems to be an overall lack of resources being dedicated to the football operation, especially when you compare the Jets to some of the innovative teams in the league. What we do know is- many candidates just outright turn the Jets down due to the parameters being set and the Jets dont pay their head coaches more than basically the league minimum. Rex Hogan was a Jets retread. There's one analytics guy. Either Douglas' hands are tied in terms of building the football operation (likely) or he's overwhelmed by the job, or a combo of both. Because he's been here long enough to at least implement some new ideas and bring in some new blood. Pat Mahomes unfortunately isnt walking through that door to bail everyone out.

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, pajet said:

Yes all good GM's should tip there hand in Feb.

Has nothing to do with that. The level of sophistication involved in the Jets process on the football side of things just leaves a lot to be desired it appears. I was hoping Douglas would improve/build it and put the Jets on par with orgs like Seattle, Baltimore and Philly. Just doesnt seem to be happening (and it very well could be out of his control). But hey, maybe he's a draft wizard and things work themselves out.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Has nothing to do with that. The level of sophistication the Jets process appears to be on the football side of things just leaves a lot to be desired. I was hoping Douglas would improve/build it and put the Jets on par with orgs like Seattle, Baltimore and Philly. Just doesnt seem to be happening. But hey, maybe he's a draft wizard and things work themselves out.

You have no f**king idea what goes on behind closed doors.  None.  Stop pretending like you have a clue about what Douglas is putting in place.  Honestly, you seem like a little child with this.  

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Because the Jets last two hires at GM were John Idzik and Mike Maccagnan. Douglas whether he likes it or not is in an immediate prove it stage. I'm skeptical he's up for the job just based off of his presence to date. What has changed? How are they evaluating differently? Communicating this is a good thing. I dont get why expectations are so low. 

Good answer and I agree JD needs a good offseason to kick off his regime.   The only thing that has bothered me since he got here was the kicker situation....it was clearly a problem and he failed to bring in someone to stabilize the situation until it cost us a game.  The center situation (can't even remember his name off the top of my head) to me was more of a shot in the dark late in the process to try to find a warm body that would make a postive impact.   Didn't work out...oh well.    But if the improvement to the oline don't work out this year, I absolutly agree he should get roasted.    Still don't think any GM is going to share the specifics of how they have changed the evaluation process (although I do recall seeing something a month or so ago alluding to simplifying comarisons between available pro personnel and college prospects.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I mean think about it a number two. What is that really? That is a guy that can get open most of the time and move the chains.

Sure he might not break the game with 159 yards a game but good for 80 and a TD on a good day.

How long has it been, hard to see past last season, when we had a guy that could actually get open. How many plays last season were no one could get open so we lost a down.

Now assuming we draft one and actually use him ( bell was our number 1 Wr by a long shot last year but never threw to him. Hell we never handed it off to him the way we should have for that matter...sorry I digress)..anyway it would be a huge win for is. 

Partly because of how bad we have drafted in the past overall, but also how poor how WRs really are. The best on the team was an out of work bum who couldnt make it on most teams starting roster. DT walked on and was the number 1. Crazy.

Yeah I'd Joe snags and WR 2 in this year's draft. Even if it is the first round pick that would be a big win. *Fingers crossed

Move the chains, now that's a great idea at the very least you keep the opposing Qb on the bench, that would be great.

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Has nothing to do with that. The level of sophistication involved in the Jets process on the football side of things just leaves a lot to be desired it appears. I was hoping Douglas would improve/build it and put the Jets on par with orgs like Seattle, Baltimore and Philly. Just doesnt seem to be happening (and it very well could be out of his control). But hey, maybe he's a draft wizard and things work themselves out.

Lol wut??

What kind of improvement and building did you want to see by now by Douglas?

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

get where you are coming from a little better now....agree about the staffing and analytics....would certainly be good to improve in those areas....I'll take smarter decisions for now and hopefully with some success building from there....decision making can't get much worse than ignoring the offensive side of the ball for a decade.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

Right.  Have you stopped crying because Joe Douglas hasn’t reached out to you and told you his plans?  Or are you still crawled up in the fetal position sucking yours thumb until he does?  

Im not exactly sure why this has struck such a nerve.

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Lol wut??

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/late-for-work-11-25-how-john-harbaugh-and-the-ravens-gained-an-analytical-edge

https://www.seahawks.com/news/seattle-seahawks-select-aws-as-its-cloud-machine-learning-and-artificial-intelli

Just some examples. Again, this could be out of his hands.

8 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

So he’s not building and improving because you haven’t seen an analytics article? Geesh. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

So he’s not building and improving because you haven’t seen an analytics article? Geesh. 

His hires have been Rex Hogan (who was already here) and Phil Savage. Unless he’s brought in people we haven’t heard about. Beefing up the analytics staff was something I thought we  expected to see. I guess these are bad questions to ask though. 

• Thumb Down 1

7 hours ago, dbatesman said:

lol Douglas hasn’t even made a pick yet and we’re already grading him on a curve

I mean...

2 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

You have no f**king idea what goes on behind closed doors.  None.  Stop pretending like you have a clue about what Douglas is putting in place.    

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

I mean...

lol...I’m willing to give Douglas the benefit of the doubt because the pedigree is great and because it helps stave off total nihilism, but yeah, some of this stuff is just comical. Shades of giving Maccagnan credit because “____ number of guys he drafted are still on the roster.” Come on.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Conspiracy Theory:  Douglas is only here to be Gase's bitch.  It's Gase's show, Gase's team, Gase's guys *hence why no one new brough in), and Gase's calls on final decisions. 

No way to know for sure, no way to prove this wrong.  But is IS odd that Douglas has basicly kept the Macc front office and Gase staff near-100% complete.

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Conspiracy Theory:  Douglas is only here to be Gase's bitch.  It's Gase's show, Gase's team, Gase's guys *hence why no one new brough in), and Gase's calls on final decisions. 

No way to know for sure, no way to prove this wrong.  But is IS odd that Douglas has basicly kept the Macc front office and Gase staff near-100% complete.

Yeah that’s what it seems like. Gase is crazy and obviously not stupid so the hope here is he’s made a compelling enough case to the Johnsons that he’s got this and they let him make big decisions like e.g. trading Adams. I hope his big goal is to win and not just keep his job long enough to be content, which was Bowles’ whole deal.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

God please let that not be true

21 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

A speedster RB in the draft would be the better choice at #2 in my opinion, there are some decent ones that would give us  a change of pace offense. 1-2 punch Bell and rookie. 

If we don't get the Jeudy or Lamb at #1 then all is lost to draft a #1 WR this season. 

The GM that never sleeps.Get some sleep