Even drafting just a #2 WR would be a Big Win for Joe

New York Jets: Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama

25 OF 32

fb3a10fde3975e77de192fb12e1c9329_crop_ex
Vasha Hunt/Associated Press

Will the top wideout in the class make it to No. 11? 

Rest assured it's a question that has already been asked plenty of times in New York, where the Jets would like to keep helping quarterback Sam Darnold's development. 

Darnold had a rough season last year, both with regards to missed time and his performance when available (61.9 completion percentage, 19 touchdowns, 13 interceptions). But Le'Veon Bell was also a dud (3.2 yards per carry), and not a single receiver reached 1,000 yards. 

But if the Jets were to land Alabama's Jerry Jeudy and perhaps pair him with a returning Robby Anderson, the conversation about the weapons flanking Darnold all changes. It's not a bad draft in which to need a wideout, at least, but Jeudy is the top dog. 

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

If Joe Douglas is a smart GM, he should walk away from the 2020 draft with a #1 WR, #2 WR, and three new starting O-linemen, all before he gets to the 4th round.

But that's only if he's smart, and understands positional value and salary cap management.

As crazy as this post seems to be, I kind of agree with it.

While we can never know what teams Big Boards look like, I feel like we should come out of this draft with a starting LT & Center, a Wr who has a legit chance at becoming a #1 receiver. And then because of how week our roster is another Wr who contributes and possibly  another lineman or corner who can challenge for significant playing time.

On 2/15/2020 at 3:49 AM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I mean think about it a number two. What is that really? That is a guy that can get open most of the time and move the chains.

Sure he might not break the game with 159 yards a game but good for 80 and a TD on a good day.

How long has it been, hard to see past last season, when we had a guy that could actually get open. How many plays last season were no one could get open so we lost a down.

Now assuming we draft one and actually use him ( bell was our number 1 Wr by a long shot last year but never threw to him. Hell we never handed it off to him the way we should have for that matter...sorry I digress)..anyway it would be a huge win for is. 

Partly because of how bad we have drafted in the past overall, but also how poor how WRs really are. The best on the team was an out of work bum who couldnt make it on most teams starting roster. DT walked on and was the number 1. Crazy.

Yeah I'd Joe snags and WR 2 in this year's draft. Even if it is the first round pick that would be a big win. *Fingers crossed

not so sure this is a good strategy unless they get a no. 1 guy in free agency.  i know these terms no. 1, no. 2 etc get thrown around.  i see the no. 1 guy is the one that keeps the defensive coordinators up at night.  i think the jets would do themselves a favor by going after a guy like cooper.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Warfish said:

Conspiracy Theory:  Douglas is only here to be Gase's bitch.  It's Gase's show, Gase's team, Gase's guys *hence why no one new brough in), and Gase's calls on final decisions. 

No way to know for sure, no way to prove this wrong.  But is IS odd that Douglas has basicly kept the Macc front office and Gase staff near-100% complete.

Also keep in mind Douglas is coming from an organization in Philly that was dedicating a ton of resources towards the football operation- a massive staff, an entire analytics team etc. The Jets dont believe in that fo whatever reason. His hands may be tied. 

This was an interesting watch:

• Thumb Down 1

6 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Also keep in mind Douglas is coming from an organization in Philly that was dedicating a ton of resources towards the football operation- a massive staff, an entire analytics team etc. The Jets dont believe in that fo whatever reason. His hands may be tied. 

This was an interesting watch:

Your spiel is getting obnoxious. You have no idea what is going on behind the scenes for Joe Douglas or the staff. As if the GM has time to spare coddling to know it alls like you. You assume you know nothing is getting done without any documentation. Your rambling posts all throughout this entire thread have no credence. Seems to me you should be talking with Woody Johnson if you don't feel this organization is doing things properly. Lets give this GM the chance to show what he can do before cutting him down.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I want a WR1 out of this draft. No more dickin’ around or praying someone trades us a Brandon Marshall. Get an OT and WR1 in this Draft. It won’t be extremely difficult. 

Trade Adams for a pick we accomplish that in round 1 this year