Jets highly unlikely to sign Anderson

choon328

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't know how you can be so sure he's a 1k+/10TD guy in a better situation. I don't question that he appears to have that type of capability, but it's unproven and he has question marks. That's why it's a tough situation. Someone is probably going to pay him on the potential. He may prove it on a team like the Chiefs but if we signed him to the same price he never even be in an optimal situation and have a chance to prove it.

Exactly... it's all really just complete conjecture.  For any arguments about the greatness he'd theoretically show on a better team, it's also been seen many times over throughout the league that players who make such moves may instead see their numbers actually drop when they have better guys as other options around them and a QB who will make better reads.  Deferring to your example of the Chiefs, despite their highly successful offense, you still have a guy like Watkins who still has never come close to matching his numbers from his first few years.

In Anderson's case, his supposed guarantee for greater success elsewhere isn't really supported too much by the fact that, despite the poor receiving corps, he was still third on the team in receptions, second in receiving yards, tied for second in receiving TDs, and friggin' 11th in catch rate (and dead last among all those with more than 13 targets).  He's certainly a good deep threat, but the rest of his skill set has repeatedly been shown to be extremely lacking.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

24 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

“And Darnold has NO deep threat, NO explosive RB (what century was it the Jets had one of those?), and the 3rd Worst OL in NFL history....all going into his 3rd Year haha”......doesn’t exactly rhyme into a song...but it tells the story very succinctly.

This century.

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Jamal has repeatedly said he wants his contract this offseason. Idk where you have been and Amari Cooper isn’t a pipe dream dude but okay.

No he hasn't. 

Hes hinted at best or its been interpreted that he has.

Hes never said that he wants it done.  Made a demand or given an ultimatum.  At least nowhere I've seen him quoted as wanting a new deal.

Have a quote?  An actual quote from Jamal?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, nico002 said:

Sure I’ll give Robby 15 a year 

here’s a 5 year 70 million deal

25 guaranteed 

15 year 1

10 year 2

10 year 3

15 year 4

20 year 5

We gotta remember the salary cap is going up this year also. Despite what people say around here Robby is going to be one of the top offensive weapons to hit the market this year. So who could blame the guy for reaching for the moon. The breakdown you laid out is actually pretty reasonable. I love Robby and hope he gets paid, and I hope the Jets are the ones to do it 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Oh by all means if someone is willing to pay you that much, go ahead and take it. I won't blame a player for taking what amount is being offered

onxe again...  we'll hafta wait n seee how much he gets...   the Williams comp at 11 per sounds reasonable TO PAY given the current market...  but maybe not to ACCEPT given same...

Damn.  Hate to see him go, I watched the guy go from undrafted free agent up  to nice long threat over the years.  Oh well, if the Jets can give Darnold more time to pass and our running backs better blocking, we'll come out way ahead.

You all watched the recent playoffs and super bowl. Does Robbie compare to that talent?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

He should walk if he wants too much.
Saying that, a deep threat #2 Wr is more important than a box safety that does not generate turnovers  (and we are going to pay this guy 17 plus million)
I hope JD breaks the bank on Adams ... Just to show you how wrong you are.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Got it.

I go back and forth with CeeDee and Jeudy - don't think you can make the wrong choice if presented with it and the tackles don't work out though.

Anderson is a tough call. If the market is going to pay him too much I think we have to let him walk. I really don't want to see it happen as he and Darnold do have very good chemistry and I don't want to see us put Darnold at a disadvantage and disrupt his development. Scoring a WR at #11 would obviously circumvent that fear - but then there's the problem of having an o-line consisting of traffic cones and turnstiles.

Do they though? There were points last year where Darnold had much better chemistry with D. Thomas.  The chemistry nonsense is ridiculous.  Thomas and Crowder stepped in and had no issues becoming Darnolds 1st and 2nd WR targets. I expect them to bring back Thomas and draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd round. Let Smith and Berrios develop, they both showed promise. 

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Exactly... it's all really just complete conjecture.  For any arguments about the greatness he'd theoretically show on a better team, it's also been seen many times over throughout the league that players who make such moves may instead see their numbers actually drop when they have better guys as other options around them and a QB who will make better reads.  Deferring to your example of the Chiefs, despite their highly successful offense, you still have a guy like Watkins who still has never come close to matching his numbers from his first few years.

In Anderson's case, his supposed guarantee for greater success elsewhere isn't really supported too much by the fact that, despite the poor receiving corps, he was still third on the team in receptions, second in receiving yards, tied for second in receiving TDs, and friggin' 11th in catch rate (and dead last among all those with more than 13 targets).  He's certainly a good deep threat, but the rest of his skill set has repeatedly been shown to be extremely lacking.

This part is dead on.  Spend the money on offensive line and draft a more rounded potential #1 WR in round 1 or 2. If the Jets can address Guard and Right Tackle in FA I'd be tempted to go WR in round 1 and 2. HB and Center in round 3. That will completely overhaul the skill positions for Darnold.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He should walk if he wants too much.

Saying that, a deep threat #2 Wr is more important than a box safety that does not generate turnovers  (and we are going to pay this guy 17 plus million)

You're becoming masterful of weaving Jamal into every single thread. I'm almost starting to like it. :) 

9 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I’d rather pay Emmanuel Sanders 8-10 mil for a year then lock up Robby. This is a good draft class for this particular position too.

Good to see. 

That's just it. The WR FA class is weak by all standards, but it just so happens that the draft is stocked with impact WR's of every sort.  I'm really curious to see how this FA period goes. I have a hard time thinking someone is going o pony up $14 mil for Robby. It's obviously possible, but I struggle with the thought. $11 Even $12 ok. Not optimal but ok. $14 mil is really high man. Especially with so many kids coming into the league. 

I would put $10 mil on the table and ask Robby to come back with his offers. I'd go as high as 11 and consider the 12. If it's $14 and he's firm on it,  I'd have to wish him well.   There are too many young and inexpensive WR's coming out. So many I really like too. 

And then there's Vyncint Smith ;-) 

11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Another "let's let one of our only good players leave instead of paying them market value" thread.

This is where we come up with all kinds of scenarios in which we completely rebuild our OL, and restock our WR corps, simply by letting our best player (Adams) and our best offensive player (Anderson) leave.

Letting our best player leave? Who said Sam was going anywhere.

11 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

They better have a plan to fill that spot. Crowder and...Demaryious Thomas? as your top two options is a disaster. 

Plan?

What is this..... "plan"?  We'll be debating Jeudy vs Lamb.  FA isn't going to giver us what we want. 

16 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

You wouldn’t rather get the comp pick instead of overpaying? We still have our own guys to sign, Jamal Adams wants a new contract right now and we need to make our market upgrades.

its a lot.

There won’t be a comp pick.  We will sign more than we lose and the comp formula is based on that and dollar value

• Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

They better have a plan to fill that spot. Crowder and...Demaryious Thomas? as your top two options is a disaster. 

They were the top 2 options with Anderson on the field last year.  Keeping Andersson isn't going to make this team better and it's not going to make it worse. 

4 minutes ago, choon328 said:

They were the top 2 options with Anderson on the field last year.  Keeping Andersson isn't going to make this team better and it's not going to make it worse. 

Crowder, D Thomas and (checks depth chart) Braxton Berrios....isn’t worse?!

jesus. You’re taking 800 yards and 5 tds off the field. 

• Upvote 1